HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The History of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   1987 Canada Cup: CCCP vs Canada - Game One, Two & Three (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1258175)

fuhr 09-11-2012 08:33 AM

1987 Canada Cup: CCCP vs Canada - Game One, Two & Three
 
For those of you that were not fortunate enough to be around to have watched the '87 Canada Cup, you would be wise to run out and grab the DVD box set or ensure you watch all three games on TSN over the next three nights.

In my opinion, it was hockey at it's finest and as much a joy to watch today as it was 25 years ago. The talent on that ice was staggering and that Soviet team were simply stunning to watch.

Some will argue that Canada were a bunch of thugs throughout the finals but that would be a stretch. It was a far different game than today and far more free wheeling than any NHL games of that era. There were no Bobby Clarke type two handers but here was a fair bit of clutching and grabbing. Honestly, it was no different than what the Oilers top lines faced on a nightly basis during an NHL season.

The hockey was fantastic and in the end, that is all that really matters.

Enjoy

Game One
http://www.ourhometown.ca/edmonton/sports/RS0392.php

Game Two
http://www.ourhometown.ca/edmonton/sports/RS0395.php

Game Three
http://www.ourhometown.ca/edmonton/sports/RS0396.php

Macman 09-11-2012 09:38 AM

Best hockey ever.

Ludwig Fell Down 09-11-2012 09:49 AM

I was there in person at the Forum. :) Remarkably, the game didn't sell out.

I have the three-game final set on VCR tapes. And, I still own a VCR. What an amazing series, I always thought Game 2 was the crown jewel of the three-game set, but picking between game 1 and 2 is like choosing your favorite child.

:handclap:

tazzy19 09-11-2012 10:06 AM

^^^ That may be, but game 2 was obviously the more successful child ;)

Question about Game 2: What happened to the 5th Russian player on Canada's last goal? You'll see him at 5:45, but you won't see him again re-enter the play. The result is a 5 on 4 "power play" scenario for Canada, and Gretzky gets his 5th assist of the night on Mario's 3rd goal of the night:


Theokritos 09-11-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazzy19 (Post 54240931)
Question about Game 2: What happened to the 5th Russian player on Canada's last goal? You'll see him at 5:45, but you won't see him again re-enter the play. The result is a 5 on 4 "power play" scenario for Canada, and Gretzky gets his 5th assist of the night on Mario's 3rd goal of the night:

That's how serious the Soviets took those Canada Cup games. They treated them as training matches where they could practice a little penalty killing against decent opponents, obviously to get in shape for the regular season. No wonder the Canadians won. ;)

Macman 09-11-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazzy19 (Post 54240931)
^^^ That may be, but game 2 was obviously the more successful child ;)

Question about Game 2: What happened to the 5th Russian player on Canada's last goal? You'll see him at 5:45, but you won't see him again re-enter the play. The result is a 5 on 4 "power play" scenario for Canada, and Gretzky gets his 5th assist of the night on Mario's 3rd goal of the night:


I'm guessing a bad decision to go to the bench? It looked like he was heading in that direction the last time you see him and maybe his replacement couldn't get into the zone in time. Either that or he was hovering at the blueline waiting for a quick break like the Soviets often did.

tazzy19 09-11-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macman (Post 54244281)
I'm guessing a bad decision to go to the bench? It looked like he was heading in that direction the last time you see him and maybe his replacement couldn't get into the zone in time. Either that or he was hovering at the blueline waiting for a quick break like the Soviets often did.

Yes, I think it was a REALLY poor line change....I mean, terrible. You just don't do that with Gretzky and Lemieux hovering around center ice while Bourque is carrying the puck up the zone! :laugh:

TheDevilMadeMe 09-11-2012 05:32 PM

I thought the Soviets complained that Hawerchuk interfered with their center on the draw that led to the rush up ice that led to the winning goal.

Dennis Bonvie 09-11-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe (Post 54251597)
I thought the Soviets complained that Hawerchuk interfered with their center on the draw that led to the rush up ice that led to the winning goal.

That's what I recall. Took him down I think.

King Woodballs 09-11-2012 06:39 PM

Lemiuex to gartner SCORES!

canucksfan 09-11-2012 06:43 PM

6-5 Soviet win?

GRoberts07 09-11-2012 06:45 PM

I just realized I have been pronouncing Gusarov's name for my entire life. As well as Fetisov.

Macman 09-11-2012 08:55 PM

It's very strange to see goalies making saves on their feet.

MetalheadPenguinsFan 09-11-2012 09:59 PM

Was extremely fun to watch Game 1 this evening. :nod:

Bring on Game 2 tomorrow night. :yo:

tazzy19 09-11-2012 10:08 PM

Someone has to post a game 2 thread in time for tomorrow! That's the best game of all time in the history of hockey IMO, and #99's best game of his pro career (even though he didn't score a single goal! He did have 5 assists however).

Ohashi_Jouzu 09-11-2012 10:39 PM

First thing I always notice when revisiting old games is that I enjoy watching the build up of the play so much in old games. Yeah, today's game is faster, players are bigger, stronger, etc, but too much of the game looks like 5-man tennis on ice to me. Broken stretch plays that turn into chip/dump and chase/retrieve (and then the same thing back the other way) dominate the majority of an NHL game these days. I don't find that nearly as entertaining as the slower buildup of the past (or "classic" rushes down the wing, I suppose) when the puck might touch 5 or 6 sticks before an attempt is even made to gain the offensive zone, and vision and creativity moved the puck - not brute force, blind speed, and zero deviation from a "system".

puckfan13 09-12-2012 01:17 AM

Wow was Coffey a beautiful player to watch or what, I wasn't even alive at the time of this series but watching him glide around out there is like magic.

I'm a pretty big fan in general, yet I'd never heard of Rochefort or Crossman.

Theokritos 09-12-2012 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macman (Post 54244281)
I'm guessing a bad decision to go to the bench? It looked like he was heading in that direction the last time you see him and maybe his replacement couldn't get into the zone in time.

The Canadians had time to play the puck forth and back through the Soviet zone. In 10 seconds the replacement doesn't even manage to get in sight? That's inexcusable. Either terribly risky speculation on a counter-attack or horrible managment by the Soviet bench.

Macman 09-12-2012 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu (Post 54258761)
First thing I always notice when revisiting old games is that I enjoy watching the build up of the play so much in old games. Yeah, today's game is faster, players are bigger, stronger, etc, but too much of the game looks like 5-man tennis on ice to me. Broken stretch plays that turn into chip/dump and chase/retrieve (and then the same thing back the other way) dominate the majority of an NHL game these days. I don't find that nearly as entertaining as the slower buildup of the past (or "classic" rushes down the wing, I suppose) when the puck might touch 5 or 6 sticks before an attempt is even made to gain the offensive zone, and vision and creativity moved the puck - not brute force, blind speed, and zero deviation from a "system".

What's really noticeable is the lesser emphasis then on choking defensive systems. You'll see more nice goals in this one series than you'll see all year in the NHL, where it's almost impossible now to find open ice even though there is much less hooking and interference now than what you see in the '87 series.

Sentinel 09-12-2012 09:54 AM

I can't help but post this. Granted, I fully realize this is a very one-sided selection of episodes. I'm sure Canadians can make their own video selection to match. But just FYI. There is no question in my mind that Koharsky favored Canadians.


King Woodballs 09-12-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilsp1ll (Post 54260883)
Wow was Coffey a beautiful player to watch or what, I wasn't even alive at the time of this series but watching him glide around out there is like magic.

I'm a pretty big fan in general, yet I'd never heard of Rochefort or Crossman.

I always loved watch Coffey play.

One of the best skaters I have ever seen play the game.

His skating was so smooth and effortless.

Ohashi_Jouzu 09-12-2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentinel (Post 54265039)
I can't help but post this. Granted, I fully realize this is a very one-sided selection of episodes. I'm sure Canadians can make their own video selection to match. But just FYI. There is no question in my mind that Koharsky favored Canadians.


Well, get ready for backlash, because you just posted a video to support your opinion that starts off with calls on Lemieux and Gretzky. I've never known either guy to even sell a marginal call, let alone out-right dive, so we'll see where this ends up. :)

Ohashi_Jouzu 09-12-2012 07:15 PM

Watching game 2 now, of course, and it should be pointed out to those who doubt Gretzky's defensive capabilities, and get tunnel vision on Gretzky's 5 assists when looking at the scoreline: he has killed every penalty so far in the first period. Under-rated defensively by the younger generation(s), for sure.

tazzy19 09-12-2012 07:17 PM

A great blog on game 2:

http://www.fiveminutesforfighting.co...87-game-2.html

King Woodballs 09-12-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu (Post 54278497)
Watching game 2 now, of course, and it should be pointed out to those who doubt Gretzky's defensive capabilities, and get tunnel vision on Gretzky's 5 assists when looking at the scoreline: he has killed every penalty so far in the first period. Under-rated defensively by the younger generation(s), for sure.

I agree whole heartedly

He was way better defensivly then allot give him credit for

Edit: i think the same goes for coffey. Yeah he jumped allot, but he was always back too


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.