HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Winnipeg Jets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Jets sign Spencer Machacek [Mod Note: Signing Confirmation post #12] (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1258581)

voyageur 09-11-2012 09:25 AM

Jets sign Spencer Machacek [Mod Note: Signing Confirmation post #12]

Anyone find it odd that amidst all the signings the Jets made in the offseason, Machacek isn't one of them? While it may be speculation I would fathom that if he is still unsigned it is not due to monetary discrepancy but rather TNSE must be trying to offer him a two-way contract, while he is looking for a one way ticket to the show. I wonder how much Aaron Gagnon's one-way contract affects his status. I am inclined to believe that True North is not the kind of organization to negotiate a one-way contract and demote a player, they are on the record as saying they will honour contracts. This places Machacek in a tough spot, as he is now a 5th year pro with 23 NHL games on his resume. I thought his play last year warranted a spot on this year's Jets alignment, but with Maxwell, Cormier and Scheifle, and perhaps even Meech, who cracked the team as the 8th defenseman last year, all competing for a job in Winnipeg, will Machacek be with the Jets this year (assuming there is a hockey season:fight:)? Pretty sure the Ice Caps would love to have him back to open the season.

Grind 09-11-2012 09:30 AM

I think Machacek is good enough to play on a fourth line role. Lets be reasonable, his point streak was lucky, and there's a reason he's only played 23 games thus far.

His biggest problem is not his current ability, but the ability of those around him. With Cormier, Klingberg, Scheifele, Telegin and Machacek all having a shot (albeit an outside shot for some) to force their way onto the roster Machacek may become a victim of a numbers game.

I also for one don't believe that Gagnon will get a spot unless he outplays all of the above. That's entirely possible, but extraordinarily unlikely in my mind.

truck 09-11-2012 09:44 AM

I think this is a clear sign that Spencer Machacek hates Winnipeg.

I hear he is worried that he may never be the face of our 4th line and had demanded a trade.

Seriously though, I'm sure he will sign eventually.

Grind 09-11-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truck (Post 54240415)

I hear he is worried that he may never be the face of our 4th line and had demanded a trade.

Seriously though, I'm sure he will sign eventually.

this made me smile.

allan5oh 09-11-2012 12:11 PM

I read an article on this exact subject but cannot find it. Basically it is due to the cba. Not signing him indicates that both parties are interested in a one way. But if he signs one and is locked out he's not eligible to play in the ahl. So they're waiting on what Sept 15th brings.

Holden Caulfield 09-11-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allan5oh (Post 54243625)
I read an article on this exact subject but cannot find it. Basically it is due to the cba. Not signing him indicates that both parties are interested in a one way. But if he signs one and is locked out he's not eligible to play in the ahl. So they're waiting on what Sept 15th brings.

Oneway or two-way due not effect waivers so that's not going to effect it. But it means jets don't want to chance the special waivers to send him to ahl this week. This way he could sign a deal with st. John's and get paid/keep playing until cab is finalized.

If Aaron Gagnon is on the roster to start the season next year I will have zero faith in chevy's ability to judge talent. If it's at the expense of Machacek, I would probably be ready to move on to new management, tbh.

If it's due to wanting to save 400K, TNSE needs to get out of owning a NHL team, if you can't afford that to put your best team on the ice, you don't deserve a team.

Huffer 09-11-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield (Post 54243969)
Oneway or two-way due not effect waivers so that's not going to effect it. But it means jets don't want to chance the special waivers to send him to ahl this week. This way he could sign a deal with st. John's and get paid/keep playing until cab is finalized.

If Aaron Gagnon is on the roster to start the season next year I will have zero faith in chevy's ability to judge talent. If it's at the expense of Machacek, I would probably be ready to move on to new management, tbh.

If it's due to wanting to save 400K, TNSE needs to get out of owning a NHL team, if you can't afford that to put your best team on the ice, you don't deserve a team.

If your 1st paragraph is true, I think that's a good thing as it shows that they like Machacek, and want to do what they can to make sure he stays with the org.

I don't personally think the 2nd or 3rd paragraphs will come true. At least I would hope not. We have much too much talent to even think about Gagnon, and I just couldn't see TNSE making a move to the detriment of the on ice product to save 400k. I can't obviously be sure of that, but it just doesn't seem like their MO.

Fidel Astro 09-11-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truck (Post 54240415)

I also heard he doesn't like to pay for meals at local restaurants.

truck 09-11-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield (Post 54243969)

Why?

Mach is an okay bottom 6 player, but it like he is a perfect fit.

The 3rd line is full.

Gagnon has spent more time playing a defensive role.

Gagnon adds value due to positional flexibility and in the faceoff circle.

Mach seems to be the logical choice and has probably earned a shot, but I don't think he has proven to be anything special thus far.

Blackie Dammit 09-11-2012 01:47 PM

Mach just signed

Blackie Dammit 09-11-2012 01:49 PM

no terms, should be leaked via Dreger shortly

Gump Hasek 09-11-2012 01:55 PM

http://jets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id...id=DL|WPG|home

Jets confirm

Bob E 09-11-2012 01:55 PM

Gagnon is a career minor leaguer, at best. If he's on the squad I think a lot of folks in hockey circles would be shaking their head, not just Jets fans. But most Jets fans would blindly cheer for the guy and after 20 gms wonder why he's got 0 pts and has been scratched a few gms now. Heck, many thought Flood should play ahead of legit NHL caliber dmen, last yr.

Mach is running out of time to prove himself, imo. Jets will try to keep the exposure to a minimum, in case he can't make the jump full-time, and I'm sure Mach wants a bit of security. Hasn't earned much, so don't see jets being too concerned. Likely waiting to him to 'come to his senses' and sign whatever they've offered. If they've even offered him something.

Blackie Dammit 09-11-2012 01:56 PM

short term I imagine

Gump Hasek 09-11-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob E (Post 54246293)
Mach is running out of time to prove himself, imo. Jets will try to keep the exposure to a minimum, in case he can't make the jump full-time, and I'm sure Mach wants a bit of security. Hasn't earned much, so don't see jets being too concerned. Likely waiting to him to 'come to his senses' and sign whatever they've offered. If they've even offered him something.

He is signed.

Bob E 09-11-2012 01:59 PM

There you go, he signed.

Chronos1337 09-11-2012 02:04 PM

Jets sign Spencer Machacek

http://jets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=641230

sully1410 09-11-2012 02:11 PM

That's too funny. We were just wondering about him.

wpgsilver 09-11-2012 02:13 PM

Glad to see him locked up.
I'm not as high on him as some posters here, but he's certainly a nice piece.

Hank Chinaski 09-11-2012 02:13 PM

Alright voyageur, I think you should start a thread about Kane signing. If your last thread is any indication, he'll be signing with us mere hours later. :sarcasm:

Good stuff, glad to see Spencer locked up. I'm going to guess and say a 1 year deal worth 650K.

Potrzebie 09-11-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sully1410 (Post 54246687)
That's too funny. We were just wondering about him.

Obviously Chevy takes his cues from HF Boards.

Blackie Dammit 09-11-2012 02:24 PM

Anyone got his fight with dwyer handy. what a beauty. and the mother daughter combo behind the bench were not to bad either

vBurmi 09-11-2012 02:31 PM

If he keeps up the pace of his point streak from last year, he'll be on the top-line in no time :sarcasm:

I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can do. It's a little hard to get excited about signings now that the season is in jeopardy though.

truck 09-11-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morningwood (Post 54247033)
Anyone got his fight with dwyer handy. what a beauty. and the mother daughter combo behind the bench were not to bad either

I posted it in here:
http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2012/...hacek-contract

I also wrote a bunch of crap about what we should expect from Mach going forward.

Diatidialga 09-11-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Potrzebie (Post 54246811)
Obviously Chevy takes his cues from HF Boards.

Then where's Kane? We've been wondering since April :sarcasm: