HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Evan McEneny (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1259379)

Ched Brosky 09-13-2012 12:16 PM

Canucks sign D Evan McEneny

The Canucks announced today they have signed 18 yr old Kitchener Ranger Evan McEneny. He played 2 games and managed to get 2 assists last season before tearing his ACL and missing the rest of the season.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=641290

Luck 6 09-13-2012 12:20 PM

Not bad... I guess Gillis figures he would have broken out last season and been drafted had it not been for the injury. He must have been on their radar before that. We'll see how he does this season in Junior.

VinnyC 09-13-2012 12:20 PM

Was he undrafted? Didn't know NHL teams could lock them up before they lost their draft eligibility...

Mr. Canucklehead 09-13-2012 12:21 PM

Played 44 games in the OHL as a 16-year-old, am I reading that right?

Interesting wild card signing.

Agent007 09-13-2012 12:30 PM

Found an interesting write up on him. High Risk High Reward type of player it seems.

http://ohlwriters.com/articles/ohl-s...e-evan-mceneny

He seems like the type of player that likely would have gone somewhere in the middle of the draft.

Canuckee 09-13-2012 12:34 PM

Was actually hoping we sign him since prospects camp, seems like he has lot of upside and the only downside is a wasted contract spot. Let's hope he doesn't go the Tochkin route.

Tiranis 09-13-2012 12:35 PM

Earlier in the summer some bloggers were bringing him up as someone that was almost guaranteed to get a contract from one of the teams so it's not surprising he got a deal. Definitely worth the risk.

Barney Gumble 09-13-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canuckee (Post 54293517)
Was actually hoping we sign him since prospects camp, seems like he has lot of upside and the only downside is a wasted contract spot. Let's hope he doesn't go the Tochkin route.

Better than have a guy like Ellington waste a roster spot in prior years (eg., little upside).

y2kcanucks 09-13-2012 12:39 PM

Where have I heard this name before? Was he at the summer prospects camp?

lush 09-13-2012 12:40 PM

This is the most exciting news in, well, gosh, maybe a month

Tiranis 09-13-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2kcanucks (Post 54293627)

He was mentioned by a few OHL bloggers as a possible steal.

Quote:

Evan McEneny - D - Kitchener Rangers
I remain steadfast in my opinion that had he played this year, McEneny would be in consideration for the top two rounds of the draft. He was impressive defensively as a 16 year old rookie, and it was clear through the preseason games and the first two games of the OHL season, that McEneny had added an offensive punch to his game. He's got size, mobility, physicality, and offensive potential from the back end. But he also suffered a season ending knee injury limiting his exposure to two games this year. If I was an NHL team, I'd take a flyer on him with a 7th round pick and hope he recovers well.
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/search?q=evan+mceneny

Quote:

Although he’s only played in two games this season – 2 assists in his first game -, McEneny made the NHL Central Scouting’s mid-term rankings at number 211 as a limited viewing. In Many circles, there are those who believe had McEneny played this season, it’s not a question of if he’d be on the list but how high, and yours truly is one of them.
http://ohlwriters.com/articles/ohl-s...e-evan-mceneny

LickTheEnvelope 09-13-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2kcanucks (Post 54293627)

Yes he was.:nod:

Wisp 09-13-2012 01:55 PM

Fun fact: He was born the same night we won Game 3 against Toronto in the 1994 Western Conference Finals.

metric 09-13-2012 02:09 PM

Listed at 205 lbs already and he looks like a twig.

LickTheEnvelope 09-13-2012 02:26 PM

Will be interesting to see what he does next year after a year off due to ACL surgery.

Offensive d-man with good size who didn't really get to showcase it last season.

4 points in 44 games in his first OHL season... 2 points in 2 games last year... lol PPG dman. :)

y2kcanucks 09-13-2012 02:37 PM

I love this signing. Worst case scenario he's another Tochkin. Best case scenario we have a future solid NHL defenseman for free.

Laterade 09-13-2012 02:53 PM

Hopefully he does better than that other Evan we signed a while back.

windflare 09-13-2012 02:57 PM

Great signing - he was one of the best players on the ice for the Rangers in those two early games and in the preseason before he was injured, and that was as a 17 year old. Was pushing for his signing during development camp.

Reverend Mayhem 09-13-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisp (Post 54295439)
Fun fact: He was born the same night we won Game 3 against Toronto in the 1994 Western Conference Finals.

Fun fact: He was born the day after my 1st birthday. And for the first time in my life, I feel old.

Jevo 09-13-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem (Post 54296877)
Fun fact: He was born the day after my 1st birthday. And for the first time in my life, I feel old.

In June I realised the kids getting drafted were younger than me. It was quite the "have I really gotten that old?" moment. All my life pro sports players have been older than me, now there are NHL players younger than me.

Vestral 09-13-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VinnyC (Post 54293189)
Was he undrafted? Didn't know NHL teams could lock them up before they lost their draft eligibility...

I'm wondering this too. I would have thought he needed to go through a couple more drafts before we could sign him as a FA. Is there some Gillis/Gilman magic going on or am I just not understanding basic draft eligibility stuff?

Wisp 09-13-2012 04:44 PM

I'm sure there's more to it than that, but for an "offensive d-man" he sure doesn't have a lot in the way of career stats.

Wisp 09-13-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jevo (Post 54298919)
In June I realised the kids getting drafted were younger than me. It was quite the "have I really gotten that old?" moment. All my life pro sports players have been older than me, now there are NHL players younger than me.

Wait until you realize you're pinning hopes and dreams on young boys.

Reverend Mayhem 09-13-2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jevo (Post 54298919)

It was quite the 'Holy ****' moment. Partly because I could have been drafted and partly because everyone in the bigs has always been older than I was. Kind of sobering.

Wisp 09-13-2012 04:51 PM

You kids. Eighteen is not old. That's when life starts.