HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New Jersey Devils (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   OT: The Thread About Nothing Part 180: Mr. and Mrs. OFS Pull A Life 180? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1259471)

onefatsurfer 09-13-2012 03:30 PM

The Thread about Nothing Part 180: Let's Go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by selyar (Post 54297347)
i just don't know if i could do it. like. i never really had that desire to be like, f it i'm leaving and i'm not coming back until i'm so broke and lonely i can't stand it anymore.

i'm really struggling with this idea. it was never really something i had the desire or plans for.

a trip is one thing.

this is something different entirely

we both hate our jobs
we don't have kids
we don't have a house
we don't have loans
we don't have other commitments (other than aforementioned ****** jobs)
we have tons of miles and points to pay for flights and the occasional hotel room
i will sell my car and my headphones to fund the rest
i have excellent, brand new backpacking/camping equipment
we can set a return date (say 6 months?)
we can work odd day jobs here and there if we need extra spending money

we will never have an opportunity like this again.

Cowbell232 09-13-2012 03:30 PM

The Thread About Nothing Part 180: Mr. and Mrs. OFS Pull A Life 180?

Seriously, if you even remotely consider it... How could you pass up your ONLY shot?

Also, I'll buy some head phones. :sarcasm:

onefatsurfer 09-13-2012 03:31 PM

damn you lol

Cowbell232 09-13-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefatsurfer (Post 54297661)
damn you lol

It's part 180. Seems ironic.

onefatsurfer 09-13-2012 03:36 PM

woo, stocks went up a lot today

JLHockeyKnight 09-13-2012 03:45 PM

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=992

BenedictGomez,

In response to the above, a lot came from college radio. They had no problem with it so that I could do research and pick out songs that I wanted to play, or have bands to talk about. So just rip the CDs (they have a really good size library) and listen on an iPod. Just been saving them for a while now.

I also used other services for CDs. I'd either buy them cheap at places like the Princeton Record Exchange (or Sound Garden in Baltimore), or I used a service called LALA which used to be a CD swapping service (for every CD you sent away, you got another one back). A lot of the users on LALA simply used it to rip a CD, then trade it off to others.

I also used a Russian site my friend used to use which was 100% legal and had tons of CDs for 99 cents. I can't remember the details to it's legality but something where they got the songs legally with RIAA approval and just sold the whole album for 99 cents online. There was nothing stopping folks in the US from buying them.

njdevsfn95 09-13-2012 03:46 PM

I went to London last summer with very little cash and still in wedding debt.

I left in more debt that got paid off whenever i cleared the AMEX card.

I havent one regret about that entire summer.

I probably wont be able to do that ever again and that alone justifies everything.

JLHockeyKnight 09-13-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefatsurfer (Post 54297661)
damn you lol

Best way to get back at him is to make sure you're the creator of TAN Part 232.

Cowbell232 09-13-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight (Post 54298157)
Best way to get back at him is to make sure you're the creator of TAN Part 232.

Eh, I'd probably just delete it :sarcasm:

:laugh:

Jersey Man 09-13-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefatsurfer (Post 54297635)
we both hate our jobs
we don't have kids
we don't have a house
we don't have loans
we have tons of miles and points to pay for flights and the occasional hotel room

"I will work harder." Jurgis.

CerebralGenesis 09-13-2012 04:17 PM

we planning for the fiscal cliff in here?

I'm hoarding cans of beans.

jjp24Devils 09-13-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

we both hate our jobs
we don't have kids
we don't have a house
we don't have loans

Plus with the impending lockout :cry: you won't miss any hockey.

onefatsurfer 09-13-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjp24Devils (Post 54298959)
Plus with the impending lockout :cry: you won't miss any hockey.

And we'll save money on tickets

Jersey Man 09-13-2012 05:17 PM

I have tickets to the preseason Devils/Islanders at the Barclays Center. I'm still holding out hope the game will be played.

JimEIV 09-13-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

we both hate our jobs
we don't have kids
we don't have a house
we don't have loans

I did this twice in my life.....I've been longing for a 3rd time for 20 years.

Edit: but I never quit a job to do it....I delayed education for a while both times. I'm positive it made me stronger to accomplish more.

Saugus 09-13-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KovyLove
I don't get that rock opera crap. But I would agree it is probably a great vehicle for a young male questioning his sexuality, like most theatre typically is.

Oh come on, who could dislike Queen?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis (Post 54298789)
we planning for the fiscal cliff in here?

I'm hoarding cans of beans.

Make sure you have a can opener in your bunker with you.

Scott04 09-13-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowbell232
Yeah, I have a 32GB microSD card in my phone with all my stuff on it. Nowhere near full, but I'm happy with the selection for now.

I've kept my music collection on my computers HDD and a backup USB drive for A LONG time. I haven't really deleted a song since 1998-99 or so?

I would have gone with a similar system (in terms of backing up on HDDs or USBs) but I had so much stuff that wasn't sorted, or I had never listened to, despite having for so long. I did a straight copy/paste when I ended up getting this PC 2-3 years ago, but some of it is still largely unsorted. I believe I had a good amount on an external hard drive which I either accidentally wiped or accidentally bricked. I think I accidentally wiped it, and then later on in further tinkering accidentally bricked. But it wasn't anything I was going to lose any sleep over, so its all good. My musical tastes have changed/developed enough since then anyway that its really no loss at all.

JimEIV 09-13-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saugus (Post 54300159)
Oh come on, who could dislike Queen?

I respect the talent, I just don't like the style/genre. I think the Bowie-ish concept albums (Pinball Wizard included) are gimmicky and spawned an ugly commercialization of rock music....Queen did that, they were a major contributor to that and on top of that the theatrical aspect turned rock music on a negative path IMO.

Cowbell232 09-13-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott04 (Post 54300247)
I would have gone with a similar system (in terms of backing up on HDDs or USBs) but I had so much stuff that wasn't sorted, or I had never listened to, despite having for so long. I did a straight copy/paste when I ended up getting this PC 2-3 years ago, but some of it is still largely unsorted. I believe I had a good amount on an external hard drive which I either accidentally wiped or accidentally bricked. I think I accidentally wiped it, and then later on in further tinkering accidentally bricked. But it wasn't anything I was going to lose any sleep over, so its all good. My musical tastes have changed/developed enough since then anyway that its really no loss at all.

Oh, see... mine is meticulously sorted. ID tags are all updated and right, album art embedded, in a specific folder structure. I'd go crazy if it ever got completely wiped out.

Jersey Man 09-13-2012 05:39 PM

Because someone brought up Queen I can't stop listening to them. Don't stop me now.

JimEIV 09-13-2012 05:42 PM

Most of 1970's music is pure suck.

onefatsurfer 09-13-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KovyLove (Post 54300537)

Most of all music sucks. The 1970's has lots of amazing music though.

Saugus 09-13-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KovyLove (Post 54300327)
I respect the talent, I just don't like the style/genre. I think the Bowie-ish concept albums (Pinball Wizard included) are gimmicky and spawned an ugly commercialization of rock music....Queen did that, they were a major contributor to that and on top of that the theatrical aspect turned rock music on a negative path IMO.

I disagree. Some of the concept albums are bad, but others prevented rock from stagnating and just being the same thing over and over again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KovyLove (Post 54300537)

Again, some 70s music is bad, other stuff isn't. I can do without hair metal, but what's wrong with Eric Clapton, Bob Marley, ZZTop, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd?

Jersey Man 09-13-2012 06:02 PM

Is disco dead?

JimEIV 09-13-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saugus (Post 54300721)

Again, some 70s music is bad, other stuff isn't. I can do without hair metal, but what's wrong with Eric Clapton, Bob Marley, ZZTop, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd?

Clapton, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd were carry overs from the 1960's...Bob Marley is in a different genre and ZZ Top...well, it's hillbilly theatrics.

It's funny though, for the most part, the bands you chose to highlight the decade cut there teeth in the 1960's....it's an indication of how poor the decade was musically.

Post Vietnam War bands seemed lost...maybe they had nothing to rage against? I don't know?