HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Tomorrow Could Be Busy (All Contracts Must Be Filed by 5pm EST Friday) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1259597)

caley 09-13-2012 09:56 PM

Tomorrow Could Be Busy (All Contracts Must Be Filed by 5pm EST Friday)

Per Elliotte Friedman

Quote:

NHL Players and teams know that if they want contracts approved by 5pm ET SAT (last day of CBA), must file by same time tomorrow...
Quote:

so it could be a busy day (Doan, etc). League has warned teams that not filing by FRI aft. means risk of not getting approved in time.
I think tomorrow may also be the deadline for putting players on waivers, for the purpose of assignment to the AHL, too, though I could be wrong on that one.

Vankiller Whale 09-13-2012 09:59 PM

Doan, Kostitsyn are the only good players left, right?

Apart from RFAs of course.

MillarWithASave 09-13-2012 10:00 PM

Maybe some trades tomorrow? I could be wrong, but I expect one at least.

caley 09-13-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale (Post 54306223)
Doan, Kostitsyn are the only good players left, right?

Apart from RFAs of course.

For UFAs, there's also Petr Sykora (21 goals, 44 points); Jason Arnott (17 goals, 34 points); Dominic Moore (25 points); Pavel Kubina (Averaged over 19:00 per game).

Quote:

Originally Posted by MillarWithASave (Post 54306255)
Maybe some trades tomorrow? I could be wrong, but I expect one at least.

I'd be surprised if we saw any, to be honest.

LatvianTwist 09-13-2012 10:05 PM

There might be one offer sheet/trade.

Doan will probably sign too. Maybe some minor ones, but I wouldn't expect anything special.

Elever 09-13-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caley (Post 54306365)
For UFAs, there's also Petr Sykora (21 goals, 44 points); Jason Arnott (17 goals, 34 points); Dominic Moore (25 points); Pavel Kubina (Averaged over 19:00 per game).

I'd be surprised if we saw any, to be honest.

Moore is not gonna be signing because I don't think he will be able to play next season unfortunately due to his wife's condition.

Sykora/Arnott are near retirement and I wouldn't be surprised if Sykora went to Europe. I'm very surprised that STL brought back Langenbrunner instead of Arnott but some team needing a 3rd line C (*cough*Chicago unless you want Kruger/Bolland as your 2/3C*cough*) would wise to sign him even for the 1 yr, I think he's in game shape still.

MillarWithASave 09-13-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LatvianTwist (Post 54306391)
There might be one offer sheet/trade.

Who are you thinking of? Offer sheet? Interesting.

Ziggy Stardust 09-13-2012 10:20 PM

http://capgeek.com/free_agents.php

Quite a few notable names remain unsigned, both UFA and RFA.

I would think that Doan may sign tomorrow, as will Colaiacovo who is rumored to be signing with Detroit.

MillarWithASave 09-13-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust (Post 54306767)
http://capgeek.com/free_agents.php

Quite a few notable names remain unsigned, both UFA and RFA.

I would think that Doan may sign tomorrow, as will Colaiacovo who is rumored to be signing with Detroit.

Didn't he already?

Vankiller Whale 09-13-2012 10:51 PM

Meh, I kind of want Gillis to sign Kostitsyn. He's young, a RW, and a pretty good playmaker. We could use him.

Unless we get Doan, of course.

Luck 6 09-13-2012 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale (Post 54307377)
Meh, I kind of want Gillis to sign Kostitsyn. He's young, a RW, and a pretty good playmaker. We could use him.

Unless we get Doan, of course.

I do too. There's a reason MTL fans would welcome him back, he's actually a pretty good two way player. He made a mistake in Nashville and suffered some strict consequences. Not just the suspension, but his reputation has been dragged through the mud by the media. If anything, I'd guess he's looking to rectify that. The KHL would have been the easy out, it doesn't appear as if he wants to take it.

Ziggy Stardust 09-13-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MillarWithASave (Post 54307151)
Didn't he already?

It'll be made official tomorrow, as will the signing of RFA Justin Abdelkader.
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....f_pre-loc.html

deckercky 09-13-2012 11:29 PM

There's actually a lot of players who could be resigned. This will be the last shot before the new CBA, so anyone who's an upcoming UFA or RFA has some enticement to sign a lifetime contract before they're no longer allowed to.

vBurmi 09-14-2012 12:08 AM

I don't think we'll see much action.

As far as UFAs are concerned, there isn't much incentive to get a deal done, especially for someone like Doan. A UFA won't somehow magically lose his UFA rights after the lockout. Any salary rollback would roughly equally affect contracts signed after the lockout due to the fact they'd be valued under the updated salary landscape. The only real change for a UFA would likely be term restrictions preventing career-long deals, which obviously doesn't apply to any of the remaining UFAs. If anything, Doan would want more time to sign a deal since he's waiting for the ownership to be in place.

For RFAs, particularly guys like Kane, Subban and Del Zotto who are expecting big raises, the teams are probably the ones holding back. Likely the teams want to give longer term deals to eat up some UFA years if possible but with the age of UFA eligibility possibly rising it no longer makes sense to overpay for longer term. Ex. If a team pays for 2 years of UFA under the current structure, they might end up overpaying for a contract that takes the player to the end of their last RFA year under the new CBA. Too much uncertainty to structure the deals properly IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luck 6 (Post 54307837)
I do too. There's a reason MTL fans would welcome him back, he's actually a pretty good two way player. He made a mistake in Nashville and suffered some strict consequences. Not just the suspension, but his reputation has been dragged through the mud by the media. If anything, I'd guess he's looking to rectify that. The KHL would have been the easy out, it doesn't appear as if he wants to take it.

I think most teams would probably take the elder Kostitsyn. Like you said, he's a good versatile two-way player and other than the one incident in Nashville he hasn't had anywhere near the same problems as his younger brother.

Rivet52 09-14-2012 12:21 AM

It'll be an interesting day hopefully. It feels good to be getting some news on a few more signings this week (Rozsival and Colaiacovo) and to see players hitting the waiver wire.

There are a couple UFAs who could sign tomorrow. I'm thinking Doan, A.Kostitsyn, Arnott, and maybe Sykora. There are still a bunch of good RFAs out there too.

StringerBell 09-14-2012 12:23 AM

Don't forget about contract extensions for upcoming UFA's. I think there's a decent chance of Gillis locking up Burrows tomorrow. As good as any other player getting extended at least.

Buckets and Gloves 09-14-2012 12:43 AM

I bet Lucic signs an extension tommorow.

vBurmi 09-14-2012 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyLager (Post 54308761)
Don't forget about contract extensions for upcoming UFA's. I think there's a decent chance of Gillis locking up Burrows tomorrow. As good as any other player getting extended at least.

Forgot about players with one year remaining. There may be candidates in there for long-term deals before they restrict contract term.

flameaholic 09-14-2012 12:12 PM

If the CBA isn't working, why are teams scrambling to sign players?

Seems like the owners are talking out of both ends.

KaraLupin 09-14-2012 12:13 PM

They are scrambling no more than normal.

Bourne Endeavor 09-14-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flameaholic (Post 54316795)

As the saying goes: "Better to go with the beast that you know."

InfinityIggy 09-14-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flameaholic (Post 54316795)

Seems like it because they are. This lockout is just about the owners trying to save a buck. Not about saving anyone's franchise or fixing the sunbelt.

HockeyGuruPitka 09-14-2012 12:15 PM

Hockey is becoming a joke. Absolutely pisses me off. Its funny cause Gary states "the fans will come back". I can almost guarantee you that another lockout will disinterest the fans from small market teams. The fans that already didnt have that much interest to begin with. The only teams that will be negatively affected by a lockout are the teams Gary is advocating for the most.

As Ryan Miller said, If Bettman has been operating and running the league at 200+ million dollar losses a season over the last 8 seasons, why on earth does he still have a job?

flameaholic 09-14-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor (Post 54316831)
As the saying goes: "Better to go with the beast that you know."

But the "beast that you know" expires in a little more than 24 hours and - according to the owners - is fundamentally flawed.

SLAPSHOT723 09-14-2012 12:20 PM

Hopefully Matt Martin will be signed.