HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: G Andrey Makarov signs 3 yr NHL contract with Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1259937)

1972 09-14-2012 04:29 PM

G Andrey Makarov signs 3 yr NHL contract with Buffalo Sabres

https://twitter.com/Jay_Grossman

Jay Grossman‏@Jay_Grossman

#Sask Blades WHL G Andrey Makarov has signed a 3 yr NHL contract with the Buffalo #Sabres

BUCKSHOT 09-14-2012 04:35 PM

here is some info ....

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/andrey_makarov/

JPurp26 09-14-2012 04:51 PM

wow unorthodox goaltender, played great in the WJC, was suppose to come to camp and tryout but with the lockout gets a deal instead. More competition sign me up.

New Sabres Captain 09-14-2012 05:15 PM

Interesting.

Leggio, Makarov, Knapp, and Lieuwen.

The goaltending stable is now full in the AHL and the ECHL. And this is good to see--the one place where the ECHL affiliation really would help is with goaltenders who take longer to develop.

Will be interesting to see if they bring Ullmark in next year or wait another year though, with the increased competition in net. Knapp only has 2 years on his ELC. Makarov and Lieuwen have 3. Leggio is year-to-year.

jfb392 09-14-2012 05:22 PM

Don't know if I'm that big of a fan of this signing, but I'm not going to complain.

The crease is starting to fill up organizationally, which is good, but I wish that at least one of them realistically projected as anything more than a project backup.

BritSabre 09-14-2012 05:39 PM

When was the last time we had this many keepers in the system? Shame there's no season...

ottsabrefan 09-14-2012 06:54 PM

Sweet. He was unbelievable at the World Juniors. He has starter potential. Will he reach it, we will see.

ottsabrefan 09-14-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs (Post 54326857)
Interesting.

Leggio, Makarov, Knapp, and Lieuwen.

The goaltending stable is now full in the AHL and the ECHL. And this is good to see--the one place where the ECHL affiliation really would help is with goaltenders who take longer to develop.

Will be interesting to see if they bring Ullmark in next year or wait another year though, with the increased competition in net. Knapp only has 2 years on his ELC. Makarov and Lieuwen have 3. Leggio is year-to-year.

He will play in the WHL next season as he's not an overager yet.

brian_griffin 09-14-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT (Post 54325759)

Quote:

Talent Analysis
Makarov is a goaltender that relies on his athleticism to get the job done. Where he needs to show improvement is with the finer points of the position, such as playing the angles well and challenging shooters more often. He has shown adaptability through his transition from Russia to the QMJHL in 2010-11, then the QMJHL to the WHL this past season.
(Thanks, BUCK) Assuming the above is true (hey, it must be, if it's from HF), the above deficiencies seem very coachable. Any current / former goalies / coaches care to comment?

jBuds 09-14-2012 07:02 PM

Love. The more, the merrier.

jfb392 09-14-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ottsabrefan (Post 54328749)
Sweet. He was unbelievable at the World Juniors. He has starter potential. Will he reach it, we will see.

You need to stop the puck consistently to be a starter.

It's part of the reason all 30 NHL teams passed on him 422 times over two drafts.

Ralonzo 09-14-2012 07:27 PM

Holy ****! I loved Vasilevskiiy's game, but Makarov was the guy they brought in to relieve him and take it to the limit.

Plus he's the Guild Master of Fairy Tail.

http://www.deviantart.com/download/1...ka-d32cqay.png

tsujimoto74 09-14-2012 08:03 PM

Love this signing. Makarov's been really impressive in international play, and I think he has solid upside. It's also just nice to have this many goalies in the system.

Woodhouse 09-15-2012 06:00 AM

Regarding our goalie depth, I'm with jBuds, the more, the merrier.

Makarov's highlight reel from Saskatoon's website can be viewed HERE, while highlights of his 57-save silver medal performance are in the clip below:

And here are some excerpts from various sources around the web, including Makarov's THW Close-Up:
Quote:

Like any young goalie, Makarov has areas that he can improve upon, but his athleticism still makes him an interesting prospect with a high upside. One of the knocks against Makarov is that he doesn’t rely on his technique as much as he should, but the goalie has shown that he is capable of playing collected and smart hockey, especially in pressure packed situations. In the end, Makarov may not be drafted as highly as his fellow countryman Andrei Vasilevski, but he is a prospect that has the talent, athleticism, quickness, and drive to succeed in the NHL one day.
Quote:

Strengths:
  • Good glove hand.
  • Composed under pressure.
  • Great athleticism.
  • Never gives up on a play.
Flaws/Aspects He Needs To Work On:
  • Must rely more on technique and strengthen his positioning.

Quote:

“Makarov is another brilliant prospect, one that is ranked in the North American realm, but hails from Kazan, Russia. I would probably take him over Vasilevski in a dynasty or keeper league due to the fact he is already playing in North America and has the calmness and economical mindset of Evgeni Nabokov. Vasilevski is the younger, more aggressive and raw-skilled prospect, so I like Makarov better as a fantasy asset.”

Link: The Goalie Guild’s Justin Goldman
Quote:

“Andrey is very athletic and plays an unorthodox style, but has good quickness in all areas. He’s smart at reading situations and is confident. He’s made a huge turnaround from last year, has good recovery and reactions, and he’s always trying to get his body in front of shots. He never gives up on a play and is strong at holding his ground.”

Link: Central Scouting’s Al Jensen
Quote:

“It absolutely helps that (Makarov) played well at the World Juniors. It shows that he can play in big games. He’s really improved since last year. I’ve been quite impressed. He’s played most of his team’s games and has played very well right from the beginning of the year. I like his chances of getting drafted this year.”

Link: Central Scouting’s Al Jensen
Quote:

"Andrey Makarov is an athletic goaltender with good size. He's very quick in the crease, battles hard and has a very impressive glove hand. Makarov handles the puck well and isn't afraid to act as a 3rd defenceman when handling the puck. He's proven to be very mentally tough, handling pressure situations and big games. Still considered to be a very raw goaltender in his movement and positioning. Has been compared to fellow Russian goaltender Evgeni Nabokov in terms of playing style."

Link: WHL From Above's Cody Nickolet
Quote:

"Quick and active long term goalie prospect, who is very athletic and seems to rely far too much on his quickness, as opposed to technique. Plays hybrid butterfly and "fighting-flops" anywhere he thinks he needs to be to make a play. Unfazed by the heat of battle, he is a long term high risk, high reward guy, who has to grow a technique so he can become a much better positioned goaltender."

Link: DraftSite's Bill Placzek
I agree most with Placzek's assessment. And lastly, here is the link to Buzzing The Net's 5 Questions with Andrey Makarov, Saskatoon Blades.

ottsabrefan 09-15-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfb392 (Post 54329147)
You need to stop the puck consistently to be a starter.

It's part of the reason all 30 NHL teams passed on him 422 times over two drafts.

I said starter potential. Young players generally have consistency issues. There are a lot of players the so called experts should have drafted and didn't and end up looking stupid down the road for it. He may be one of them.

Takeo 09-15-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfb392 (Post 54329147)

Haha. I think this is the stark reality outweighing any of the talent/potential over-analysis. Depth is great, but it won't amount to anything. (Not that this signing needs to be attacked..)

tsujimoto74 09-15-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takeo (Post 54337209)
Haha. I think this is the stark reality outweighing any of the talent/potential over-analysis. Depth is great, but it won't amount to anything. (Not that this signing needs to be attacked..)

Undrafted players never become anything? You should talk to, say, Dan Girardi about that theory.

ZZamboni 09-15-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 (Post 54337351)
Undrafted players never become anything? You should talk to, say, Dan Girardi about that theory.

And Martin St. Louis...

(psst.. Tsujimoto.. Consider the source)

jfb392 09-15-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 (Post 54337351)

Of the 89 goaltenders to appear in the NHL last season, a whopping two were undrafted CHL goaltenders.
They were Joey MacDonald and Curtis Sanford.

Undrafted goaltenders are usually the most likely to succeed among undrafted prospects, but the good ones go undrafted due to lack of exposure.
College kids that play in junior A leagues (or below, even) and Europeans that play in domestic junior/lower tier leagues suffer from a lack of viewings.
CHL kids are viewed by many every single game though and go undrafted because they have flaws and there's a large amount of uncertainty about their upside.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ottsabrefan (Post 54336613)
I said starter potential. Young players generally have consistency issues. There are a lot of players the so called experts should have drafted and didn't and end up looking stupid down the road for it. He may be one of them.

I wouldn't really hold that against scouts.
Usually players that are passed over that end up succeeding do so because of a large amount of self-determination over a long period of time.
There's no way to accurately predict that.

Boose30 09-15-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BritSabre (Post 54327343)
When was the last time we had this many keepers in the system? Shame there's no season...

they must have a good feeling that millers gunna walk when his contracts up so they're at least thinking ahead to try and find a replacement for him

Chainshot 09-15-2012 10:26 AM

Odd. It's like they want to get to the 50 contract limit by any means necessary...

Digable5 09-15-2012 11:00 AM

Niklas Backstrom and Dwayne Roloson weren't bad...oh and a guy named Ed Belfour were undrafted.

No this isn't to be met with the same excitement as many other signings but what does it hurt? They need some more goalie prospects. I'm not excited about really any of the guys we currently have. If even one of them amount to anything I would be happy. Why not Makarov? It's not out of the realm of possibility.

tsujimoto74 09-15-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfb392 (Post 54338207)
Of the 89 goaltenders to appear in the NHL last season, a whopping two were undrafted CHL goaltenders.
They were Joey MacDonald and Curtis Sanford.

Undrafted goaltenders are usually the most likely to succeed among undrafted prospects, but the good ones go undrafted due to lack of exposure.
College kids that play in junior A leagues (or below, even) and Europeans that play in domestic junior/lower tier leagues suffer from a lack of viewings.
CHL kids are viewed by many every single game though and go undrafted because they have flaws and there's a large amount of uncertainty about their upside.

I wouldn't really hold that against scouts.
Usually players that are passed over that end up succeeding do so because of a large amount of self-determination over a long period of time.
There's no way to accurately predict that.

Mmhmm. What if you look at goaltenders who would've been undrafted in the current 7 round format? Like, oh, Vokoun, Thomas, Hasek...

jfb392 09-15-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digable5 (Post 54339643)
Niklas Backstrom and Dwayne Roloson weren't bad...oh and a guy named Ed Belfour were undrafted.

No this isn't to be met with the same excitement as many other signings but what does it hurt? They need some more goalie prospects. I'm not excited about really any of the guys we currently have. If even one of them amount to anything I would be happy. Why not Makarov? It's not out of the realm of possibility.

There are plenty of great undrafted goaltenders out there, but you'll notice the majority of them have something in common: lack of exposure.

Bäckström: played junior B during his first draft year, then junior A
Belfour: spent all of his draft eligible years playing junior A in Manitoba
Roloson: spent all of his draft eligible years playing junior B in Ontario

Makarov: started at the U17's, played a decent amount of games with Lewiston during his initial draft season but was passed over, went undrafted in the Lewiston dispersal draft and moved to Saskatoon where he was a workhorse, lost the starting job at the WJC to 17 year old Andrei Vasilevski that should have been his based off of ability and experience, passed over again by all NHL teams.

Blades color commentator and scout Cody Nickolet echoes basically exactly what I've been saying and more here.

He's basically the WHL version of Michael Houser except he doesn't have any of the accomplishments or the club feet. :laugh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 (Post 54340103)
Mmhmm. What if you look at goaltenders who would've been undrafted in the current 7 round format? Like, oh, Vokoun, Thomas, Hasek...

None of those players played in the CHL.

Regardless, the outlook is still the same for undrafted CHL goaltenders.
Even if you get rid of non-existent rounds, I believe the number is still two.

New Sabres Captain 09-15-2012 01:41 PM

Even if all he does is become a decent AHL starter, you still need guys like that in the system. Plus, you never know...I'm a big fan of having plenty of goaltenders in the system because it seems goalies more than any other position is a total crapshoot. So just grab a bunch and see how it turns out.