HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Kevin Klein signs 5 year/14.5 mil deal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1260247)

gratefulpred 09-15-2012 01:29 PM

Kevin Klein signs 5 year/14.5 mil deal
 
Woo Hoo! Now let's just hope we get to see him playing real quick like!

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|NSH|home

Predsrule 09-15-2012 01:31 PM

Great deal... im surprised..

AtlantaWhaler 09-15-2012 01:37 PM

About a mil less than a lot of us thought

Legionnaire11 09-15-2012 01:50 PM

that is an AMAZING contract! I said earlier this summer that I thought he'd sign a reasonable deal... but that's definitely lower than I expected. I'm very, very happy to see this one!

JR303 09-15-2012 02:03 PM

Quite possibly the most under-valued player on our team, in my opinion. Always signs reasonable contracts, goes out and does his job. Seems to have no ego, seems to be a good all-around guy.

This is excellent news if we ever play NHL hockey again.

TMI 09-15-2012 02:16 PM

Great signing!

NoNecksCurse 09-15-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler (Post 54343003)
About a mil less than a lot of us thought

whoever thought klein at 4 mil per... um PASS!

great deal! way to go poile.. and this makes me like klein more for the simple fact of signing long term with no drama (weber,suter) .. although, no where near their level.

Machinehead 09-15-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Machinehead (Post 54344039)
This signing....

http://www.bioo.org/wp-content/uploa..._Head_Logo.gif

...gets the Machinehead stamp of approval :handclap::handclap::handclap:

And it's getting another one

http://www.bioo.org/wp-content/uploa..._Head_Logo.gif

That's how much I like this deal! :yo:

He reminds me a little of Dan Girardi defensively. And trust me that's a good thing. Real good.

INDhockeyfan 09-15-2012 02:29 PM

Great signing. 3 million a year for 5 yrs for a 2nd pairing defenseman is very reasonable. Love how a lot of guys signing extensions now and we won't have as much drama next summer.

worstfaceoffmanever 09-15-2012 03:16 PM

Lock 'em up before they lock 'em out.

Enoch 09-15-2012 03:36 PM

Great deal IMO.

CalleJAMkrok 09-15-2012 03:41 PM

such a good deal

TootooTrain 09-15-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse (Post 54344247)
whoever thought klein at 4 mil per... um PASS!

I certainly don't think he's worth 4, but I expected him to get that amount regardless. 14.5 over 5 is nothing for a top4 defenseman. Nice deal.

Viqsi 09-15-2012 03:50 PM

Wow! Fantastic contract there. Very nicely done.

Top 6 Spaling 09-15-2012 03:56 PM

Klein has made me a believer. awesome deal.

dulzhok 09-15-2012 04:11 PM

About 6 months ago the talk was how Klein was not fit for the 2 pair. When we got Hal Gill, people were relieved this bumped Klein to the bottom pair.

Gill gets injured and Klein has the best 6 games of the lifetime vs Detroit. Everyone loves Klein.

To me, Klein performance vs Detroit was an anomaly, not some realistic hope of how he's going to play the rest of his career. He has been absolutely horrible in most other playoff series-- he was on the ice for an ungodly percentage of goals against in playoffs from 2010 - 2011.

IMO, Klein is a below-average top 4 defenseman who makes way more mistakes than he should. He has virtually no offense (12 goals in 7 seasons). He has minimal physical presence.

This signing pretty much means Klein is cemented in top 4 for the next five years, a move that will not help us take steps needed to be an elite team IMO.

Putting average (at best) players in key positions is why we haven't taken steps to be an elite team.

If he plays like he did vs Detroit, great. But unfortunately I don't think it's very realistic that's going to happen.

Legionnaire11 09-15-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dulzhok (Post 54347397)
About 6 months ago the talk was how Klein was not fit for the 2 pair. When we got Hal Gill, people were relieved this bumped Klein to the bottom pair.

You have a terrible memory when it comes to Klein or your bizarre hatred of Kevin Klein has you lying to yourself at this point.

Most fans liked Klein as a 2nd pair guy, though acknowledged that he would never be a 1st pair. In fact most really like Klein in his role and want a compliment to him on the 2nd pair.

Nobody expected Gill to get regular time on the 2nd pair, let alone bump Klein. It's Boullion and Hillen that folks were glad to see bumped down.

dulzhok 09-15-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 (Post 54347619)
You have a terrible memory when it comes to Klein or your bizarre hatred of Kevin Klein has you lying to yourself at this point.

Most fans liked Klein as a 2nd pair guy, though acknowledged that he would never be a 1st pair. In fact most really like Klein in his role and want a compliment to him on the 2nd pair.

Nobody expected Gill to get regular time on the 2nd pair, let alone bump Klein. It's Boullion and Hillen that folks were glad to see bumped down.

Most thought Gill and Josi would be paired together-- and they were frequently-- until Gill went down.

You can call my opinion bizarre hatred-- I outlined plenty of reasons why I don't think he's going to be a solid top 4 dman. The peak of his career was the Detroit series.

Viqsi 09-15-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dulzhok (Post 54347397)
About 6 months ago the talk was how Klein was not fit for the 2 pair. When we got Hal Gill, people were relieved this bumped Klein to the bottom pair.

Gill gets injured and Klein has the best 6 games of the lifetime vs Detroit. Everyone loves Klein.

To me, Klein performance vs Detroit was an anomaly, not some realistic hope of how he's going to play the rest of his career. He has been absolutely horrible in most other playoff series-- he was on the ice for an ungodly percentage of goals against in playoffs from 2010 - 2011.

IMO, Klein is a below-average top 4 defenseman who makes way more mistakes than he should. He has virtually no offense (12 goals in 7 seasons). He has minimal physical presence.

This signing pretty much means Klein is cemented in top 4 for the next five years, a move that will not help us take steps needed to be an elite team IMO.

Putting average (at best) players in key positions is why we haven't taken steps to be an elite team.

If he plays like he did vs Detroit, great. But unfortunately I don't think it's very realistic that's going to happen.

I think you are completely correct as regards his Detroit play being a positive anomaly and laughably overwhelmingly off-base with everything else.

With guys like Klein it's extremely easy to accentuate the negative.

dulzhok 09-15-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viqsi (Post 54348139)
I think you are completely correct as regards his Detroit play being a positive anomaly and laughably overwhelmingly off-base with everything else.

With guys like Klein it's extremely easy to accentuate the negative.

It is easy, because he has major gaffes typically at least every other game. Outside of the ones that lead to goals, Rinne has saved his bacon sooo many times.

Laugh at the stats all you want. We'll have to dig up how many GA he was on the ice in the PO from 2010-2011.

I don't think he belongs in the top 4 on an elite team. If we're shooting for a mediocre team, Klein's your guy.

Top 6 Spaling 09-15-2012 04:56 PM

I like the signing because of this team's needs. Josi, Ellis, Blum, and Ekholm are all OFD. We needed some DFD. Klein is that. I hope the Detroit series was him turning a corner. We'll see I guess.

Viqsi 09-15-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dulzhok (Post 54348469)
It is easy, because he has major gaffes typically at least every other game. Outside of the ones that lead to goals, Rinne has saved his bacon sooo many times.

Laugh at the stats all you want. We'll have to dig up how many GA he was on the ice in the PO from 2010-2011.

I don't think he belongs in the top 4 on an elite team. If we're shooting for a mediocre team, Klein's your guy.

Elite team in what league? Yahoo! Fantasy or NHL?

I'm beginning to suspect that certain standards around here for "second pairing defensemen" match the sorts of folks you find on the top pairings of Cup champions.

TMI 09-15-2012 05:42 PM

I just went through almost all of the Hal Gill thread, and pretty much no one was excited about bumping Klein down to the third pair. In fact, I don't remember seeing anyone giddy about that particular option. People discussed it initially (I was one of them), but the premise was trying to find the most balanced defensive pairings. As the thread goes on people (myself included) begin looking at a Gill/Ellis pairing while keeping Klein and Josi together.

The Nashville Predators were top ten in the following categories last year:

Power play (1)
Wins (6)
Points (5)
Goals per Game (8)
Goals Against per Game (1)
Penalty Kill (10)

Kevin Klein was on the second pairing for the Nashville Predators last year. I'm not sure the things above can be done by a mediocre team.

Top 6 Spaling 09-15-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viqsi (Post 54349003)
Elite team in what league? Yahoo! Fantasy or NHL?

I'm beginning to suspect that certain standards around here for "second pairing defensemen" match the sorts of folks you find on the top pairings of Cup champions.

If you're hinting at Scuderi, agree 100%

AdmiralsFan24 09-15-2012 06:27 PM

Great contract. Now move him to the wing. :sarcasm:



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.