HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Winnipeg Jets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Tracking the Locked Out Jets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1260669)

Holden Caulfield 09-16-2012 05:28 AM

Tracking the Locked Out Jets

I'll keep the main post updated here

Active

#5 D Mark Stuart ------------> Florida Everblades (ECHL)
#16 RW Blake Wheeler -------> EHC Munchen (DEL)
#20 LW Antti Miettinen -------> HPK (SM-Liiga)
#23 LW Alexei Ponikarovsky --> Donbass Donetsk (KHL)
#31 G Ondrej Pavelec -------> Lahti Pelicans (SM-Liiga) (6 games contract)
#80 C Nik Antropov ----------> Barys Astana (KHL)

Signed and left team
#9 LW Evander Kane ---------> Dinamo Minsk (KHL) (Left team, apparently mutual decision, definitely related to poor play)
#16 LW Andrew Ladd ---------> Avangard Omsk (KHL) (Cancelled, decided to stay home)
#31 G Ondrej Pavelec -------> Bili Tygri Liberec (CZE) (Contract not renewed, possibly poor play related)
#39 D Tobias Enstrom --------> EC Salzburg (AUS) (Came back to NA for recent talks, November 6th)

PlayerTeamLeagueGP GAPTSPIM+/-
Alexei Ponikarovsky Donbass KHL 25 4 11 15 14 -5
Nik Antropov Barys Astana KHL 23 2 12 14 35 +3
Blake Wheeler EHC Munchen DEL 10 5 8 13 39 +5
Antti Miettinen HPK SM-liiga 9 3 2 5 6 0
Tobias Enstrom EC Salzburg AUS 5 1 0 1 4 -3
Evander Kane Dinamo Minsk KHL 12 1 0 1 47 -8
Mark Stuart Florida Everblades ECHL 0 0 0 0 0 0

PlayerTeamLeagueGP RECORDGAASVPSO
Ondrej Pavelec Pelicans SM-Liiga 6 1-4-1 2.68 .912 1
Ondrej Pavelec Bili Tygri Liberec CZE 14 4-10-0 3.50 .896 0

Alex Ponikarovsky has signed with the new Ukrainanian team in the KHL, Donbass
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=8658 (at the bottom it tracks where players have signed)
EDIT: Here's the official KHL story. If you're using Chrome you can just translate it.

DespoticNewt 09-16-2012 05:36 AM

Hope to see Pony back soon.

Dave512 09-16-2012 08:59 AM

I really hope Burmistrov agrees to play in the AHL. The Icecaps are making a November trip to play the Albany Devils this year. I was already excited to see Telegin, Redmond, Melchiori, Cormier, Klingberg, among others, but seeing Burmistrov in person would be awesome. Even better, the Devils have a season ticket holder area RIGHT next to the glass, and since they have the worst attendance in the AHL, I won't have any problem standing there all game decked out in my Ladd Jets jersey. :D

That said, I'd still rather Burmistrov be playing for the Jets on October 13...

garret9 09-16-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave512 (Post 54363183)
I really hope Burmistrov agrees to play in the AHL. The Icecaps are making a November trip to play the Albany Devils this year. I was already excited to see Telegin, Redmond, Melchiori, Cormier, Klingberg, among others, but seeing Burmistrov in person would be awesome. Even better, the Devils have a season ticket holder area RIGHT next to the glass, and since they have the worst attendance in the AHL, I won't have any problem standing there all game decked out in my Ladd Jets jersey. :D

That said, I'd still rather Burmistrov be playing for the Jets on October 13...

He already agreed to playing in the AHL

HockeyAnn 09-16-2012 11:27 AM

Can someone tell me what happens in the event that a player signed to an NHL contract goes to the KHL and the lockout ends? Do they immediately come back to the NHL or stay in the KHL?

LadyJet26 09-16-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyAnn (Post 54366029)
Can someone tell me what happens in the event that a player signed to an NHL contract goes to the KHL and the lockout ends? Do they immediately come back to the NHL or stay in the KHL?

Most will have clauses in their contracts and the KHL teams know when they sign these guys that they'll be gone the moment the NHL comes to an agreement.

What bugs me is no Canadian network is interested in picking up KHL games. The KHL is very interested in showing games in Canada. I don't get the Canadian networks.

HockeyAnn 09-16-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanucksnWpg (Post 54366157)
Most will have clauses in their contracts and the KHL teams know when they sign these guys that they'll be gone the moment the NHL comes to an agreement.

What bugs me is no Canadian network is interested in picking up KHL games. The KHL is very interested in showing games in Canada. I don't get the Canadian networks.

Yeah apparently the networks are saying "there is no interest". I'd also be intersted in these games ... I have a feeling we are going to be seeing a lot of NHL guys playing in the KHL. First day of lockout and there has already been several signings ... Sign of things to come?

Shakey Rustie 09-16-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield (Post 54361629)
If you're using Chrome you can just translate it.

Tickle me Tuesday, I never knew I could do that :laugh:

Jet 09-16-2012 11:58 AM

The Canadian Networks are not interested in showing KHL games because:

The times they would be shown would not allow for the viewership needed to justify the cost.

If the NHL lockout ends you've just lost what modest viewership you had.

The only other option would be to have a 'Centre Ice' type of set up but the logistics and cost to set that up again would be extremely prohibitive.

The only thing that would make any sense is to do a PPV set up. Some of the upper channels could give you the option of watching a featured game for a fixed price. I don't know how many people would pay 10 bucks to watch a KHL game however. Maybe one or two, but consistently? At like 5 in the morning? On a Wednesday?

Remember guys, this is a business. You can be damned sure that networks that have just lost hours and hours of programming and the revenue it brings would love to fill that time with a money making venture. They have studied the possibility of KHL, AHL, and probably even some European leagues, but the numbers and time slots don't work.

I know hockey is our national sport, but having it on TV isn't an essential service. I think we tend to forget that here from time to time.

I just hope this lockout doesn't become some bitter battle. The owners will again sacrifice the season. The players have to see that.

Becel 09-16-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanucksnWpg (Post 54366157)

Canadian networks have deals with the NHL so they have to side with them over the players and will not jeopardize their relationship with them to show a few KHL games.

I read this the other day on ProHockeyTalk in regards to a Russia Canada series, but it also applies to showing KHL games too.

Quote:

It’s an interesting idea, though the union still needs to answer a number of questions about the event — primarily, which Canadian broadcaster would air the games?

CBC and TSN already have NHL deals while Sportsnet enjoys regional TV agreements with the league. Several senior broadcast officials said that none of them want to do anything to potentially hurt their relationship with the league, according to the Star.

“You think CBC wants to do anything right now to upset the NHL?” one media executive told the Star. “No way. They’re trying desperately to hold onto their contract with the NHL.”

bodybreak 09-16-2012 12:06 PM

Any channel wanting to show games could always show the games the following evening, in prime time. Like you say, most people aren't going to be getting up in the middle of the night to watch the games. It's most likely that the networks don't wanna tick off the NHL.

Gump Hasek 09-16-2012 12:07 PM

That the Canadian networks have no interest in showing either the KHL or any proposed NHLPA Canada/Russia series is quite simple; the Canadian networks are all NHL broadcast partners - partners that will soon be entering into new contract negotiations for NHL television deals. The last thing any of them want to do is to step on the NHL's toes by broadcasting the NHL's competition during a lockout. Bell (CTV/TSN), Rogers (Sportsnet), & CBC are immediately out of the picture as such. Additionally, Rogers and Bell now jointly own the Leafs. About the only hope for any alternate likely lies with a lower tier player such as Global.

Jet 09-16-2012 12:13 PM

You guys are vastly overrating the negative impact showing KHL games would have with any negotiations that networks would have with the NHL.

The NHL would understand if networks wanted to give viewers another option during the lockout. It might actually be advantageous to the league as it would keep people invested in hockey and no doubt when the NHL returned it would prove what a superior product it is.

Secondly, the NHL isn't going to hold any grudges wrt contract time. They want the most money for their clubs, and the most exposure, period.

It all boils down to if anyone can make any money at it and the answer is no.

YWGinYYZ 09-16-2012 12:18 PM

Does the KHL offer legal/sanctioned streaming of their games? They could offer up some packages for those that want high quality streams.

I'd say the same about the AHL, but their streaming quality is not very good, and their pricing is out of whack compared to NHL packages.

KingBogo 09-16-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jet (Post 54367185)
You guys are vastly overrating the negative impact showing KHL games would have with any negotiations that networks would have with the NHL.

The NHL would understand if networks wanted to give viewers another option during the lockout. It might actually be advantageous to the league as it would keep people invested in hockey and no doubt when the NHL returned it would prove what a superior product it is.

Secondly, the NHL isn't going to hold any grudges wrt contract time. They want the most money for their clubs, and the most exposure, period.

It all boils down to if anyone can make any money at it and the answer is no.

I think some of you are over estimating the interest most people would have in watching the KHL. Posters on fan forums tend to be the most fanatical of the fanatical about sports. Most people could care less if (insert 2 KHL teams) are playing midday on a Tuesday. For most peole it is hard enough carving out time to watch their beloved Jets, nevermind midday KHL games. IMO tape delaying them to the evening wouldn't change this much.

Saying that it would be nice to be able to watch the odd ICE Cap game without it costing you an arm and a leg.

Aerial 09-16-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jet (Post 54367185)

I don't think they are -- and if you note it quotes a media executive saying basically the exact thing. The NHL has been known to be a rather tempestuous mistress in its Canadian TV negotiations. That's not the only factor, but it certainly exists.

I agree that money is the biggest factor, in that at the end of the day if there was significant money or PR / viewership benefits to be made airing the KHL games, someone would probably do it. As it stands, those aspects aren't so certain. Even if it broke even, the risk-reward ratio in terms of ticking off the NHL in advance of of future negotiations makes it not worth it for TV.

Dave512 09-16-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garret9 (Post 54364717)
He already agreed to playing in the AHL

Excellent, good to hear!

allan5oh 09-16-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Goalie Ondrej Pavelec has agreed to a contract with HC Trinec in the Czech League. He's on the way there now.
Tweet by Allan Walsh his agent.

sully1410 09-16-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allan5oh (Post 54371563)
Tweet by Allan Walsh his agent.

Is that even the team that wanted him?

LadyJet26 09-16-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reims (Post 54366841)
[/B]

Canadian networks have deals with the NHL so they have to side with them over the players and will not jeopardize their relationship with them to show a few KHL games.

I read this the other day on ProHockeyTalk in regards to a Russia Canada series, but it also applies to showing KHL games too.

I get that, but what if it's the whole year? I'm not going the whole year without watching hockey and only shaw broadcasts WHL games. I don't have any reason to subscribe to Sportsnet anymore so I don't.

blues10 09-16-2012 05:01 PM

Pavs had better watch his behaviour in the Czech Republic, any alcohol related mis-step would land him behind bars for six months.

Quote:

The 24-year-old Pavelec also received a six-month suspended prison sentence for causing a traffic accident May 26 in his hometown of Kladno, west of the capital Prague.
Quote:

"The case will be dismissed in 12 months provided I have no alcohol related violations during this time.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...ng-charge.html

HPsauce 09-16-2012 05:08 PM

The second that any Canadian network starts showing KHL games is the second this lockout ends.

Concordski 09-16-2012 05:43 PM

Hopefully one of our guys joins Vityaz; Zhamnov can show him the ropes. Of course, he seems more interested in a trashy entertainment type of hockey, as opposed to actually winning.

Lux Aurumque* 09-16-2012 07:06 PM

If the SEL decides to allow NHL'ers to join the teams there, expect Enstrom to go to Modo. He's still got a lot of friends there, and spent a good chunk of his career there.

Skidooboy 09-16-2012 11:27 PM

Most of the arguments about Cost and Logistics are pretty much BS.

The Network won't be paying the NHL, so they have cash. They need Programing or they will be stuck showing Poker and Golf Yawn.....

As far as I'm aware the technology required to beam a game across the earth, record it, re dub a vocal track of two or three analysts sitting in a booth giving a call in english and rebroadcast it "time delayed" is fairly mature. the Liscencing from the KHL would come at a cost but it would be pro Hockey.

With the influx of NHL stars it's about to get better. If I was an NHL star I'd be over in Russia in about 5 mins. The "K" is gonna get better. This strike might give the players more power.