HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   So... No Extension for Edler..? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1260675)

NYVanfan 09-16-2012 07:43 AM

So... No Extension for Edler..?

This is bad, right?

They mustve been pretty far apart. I wonder in MG was trying to keep him to the KB cap? And then was AE and agent pursuing full value for a Big young 50-pter..? ($6M-ish?)
All speculation...but id hate to think there's any risk of losing him next year.

Need Kassian and others to step up bigtime soon; all of a sudden we're looking thin on bargain caphits...

Bleach Clean 09-16-2012 08:14 AM

I think it's bad for the Canucks, yes. Perhaps that Bieksa cap was the sticking point? If it was, bad idea. Edler should be getting the most IMO.

Edler is VAN's best shot at molding a #1 dman, currently... He should be getting Kesler money. 5m is the right number IMO.

Enstrom just got 5.75m, and I think he is pretty comparable. In any event, Edler choosing to enter into the CBA frontier without securing his salary is not well received by this Canuck fan.

NYVanfan 09-16-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleach Clean (Post 54362113)
I think it's bad for the Canucks, yes. Perhaps that Bieksa cap was the sticking point? If it was, bad idea. Edler should be getting the most IMO.

Edler is VAN's best shot at molding a #1 dman, currently... He should be getting Kesler money. 5m is the right number IMO.

Enstrom just got 5.75m, and I think he is pretty comparable. In any event, Edler choosing to enter into the CBA frontier without securing his salary is not well received by this Canuck fan.

Yeah...feels like being here not absolute #1 priority, like so many other signings weve been spoiled to expect. Also come to expect the Swedes to be least greedy....
Could be he heard all the criticism after this year (50 pts quickly forgotten w a soso playoff...)

All speculation....heres hoping the truth is he's so un-greedy he's not worried about not having security and plans to prove his worth in the cup run this year, which will only be shortened by weeks....

Orca Smash 09-16-2012 09:16 AM

It is far to early to be worried imo.

Besides i think a motivated edler working for a big contract would do him quite a bit of good.

He has all the potential in the world, but their is times where he seems mentally afraid of getting hit, and ends up making bad plays.

Other times I feel he could be one of the best d men in the league, laying big hits, passing the puck extremely well, and moving down ice very fast.

Let him prove his worth this year if we have one.

wholesickcrew 09-16-2012 09:25 AM

Depending on how CBA talks go, he could be an impending RFA.

Nuck This 09-16-2012 10:42 AM

Ya he could be an impending RFA or he could be a UFA that's looking for seven million. Reports have surfaced that his agent is asking for close to Suter and Weber money. 6.5-7.5 Somewhere in there.

wholesickcrew 09-16-2012 10:50 AM

Yeesh, no wonder a deal wasn't made. 5.75 has been my guess from the start.

y2kcanucks 09-16-2012 01:05 PM

Edler is not our top defenseman so the Bieksa cap should be in effect; however, I also see value in paying for potential. I think locking Edler up to a $30M/6 year contract is fair. Anything more and I would look to move him.

Peter Griffin 09-16-2012 01:09 PM

Must be saving money to make a big contract offer to Weber next off-season....

Andre Boudrias 09-16-2012 01:12 PM

Edler would get 6.5M in the open market. Bieksa wouldn't.

JuniorNelson 09-16-2012 01:30 PM

Vignault was extended.

Vankiller Whale 09-16-2012 01:39 PM

I would reasonably expect Edler to sign at a 5 mil cap hit on a 6 year deal, if forced I would push it to 5.5 cap hit with maybe a shorter term. More than that and it's closer to the Sedins than Kesler money, and I would look to move him.

y2kcanucks 09-16-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luc (Post 54367171)
Edler would get 6.5M in the open market. Bieksa wouldn't.

Which means he's overvalued. Bieksa has been better offensively than Edler (based on ES production) and better defensively. With Edler you're paying for potential that he will progress to being a better defenseman, but as of right now he isn't.

y2kcanucks 09-16-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale (Post 54368043)
I would reasonably expect Edler to sign at a 5 mil cap hit on a 6 year deal, if forced I would push it to 5.5 cap hit with maybe a shorter term. More than that and it's closer to the Sedins than Kesler money, and I would look to move him.

With the former I'd give him a NTC. With the latter no NTC at all.

Vankiller Whale 09-16-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2kcanucks (Post 54368071)
With the former I'd give him a NTC. With the latter no NTC at all.

That sounds fair.

shortshorts 09-16-2012 01:48 PM

If we let Edler go for nothing, this team has no hope.

VinnyC 09-16-2012 01:56 PM

If he's asking close to Suter money pray there's a season so we can ship him out of here.

Luck 6 09-16-2012 02:49 PM

The guy is worth 6mil whether we like it or not. He'd get 6.5mil on the open market, and easily 6mil from a top contender. If we get him for anything under that with a NTC then were looking good.

y2kcanucks 09-16-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luck 6 (Post 54370229)
The guy is worth 6mil whether we like it or not. He'd get 6.5mil on the open market, and easily 6mil from a top contender. If we get him for anything under that with a NTC then were looking good.

Based on what? Based on NHL UFA market value? Maybe. Based on our own teams structure? Definitely not.

PG Canuck 09-16-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortshorts (Post 54368337)
If we let Edler go for nothing, this team has no hope.

What the....

myrocketsgotcracked 09-16-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale (Post 54368043)

sedins and kesler signed their contracts years ago with a lower cap, they also took a hometown discount, so its not really fair to expect edler to take less because of the other contracts.
bottom line is, edler is a big young 50pts defenseman, heading into a UFA market that have very few quality Dmen available. he will get paid and get paid a lot, he is in no way obligated to take a discount, and the canucks don't have a NHL ready replacement for him. if he signs a long term deal for $6M/yr cap hit, i'd consider that a success.

y2kcanucks 09-16-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myrocketsgotcracked (Post 54371521)
sedins and kesler signed their contracts years ago with a lower cap, they also took a hometown discount, so its not really fair to expect edler to take less because of the other contracts.
bottom line is, edler is a big young 50pts defenseman, heading into a UFA market that have very few quality Dmen available. he will get paid and get paid a lot, he is in no way obligated to take a discount, and the canucks don't have a NHL ready replacement for him. if he signs a long term deal for $6M/yr cap hit, i'd consider that a success.

That's a significant overpayment. You have to consider that Edler is not our best defenseman.

myrocketsgotcracked 09-16-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2kcanucks (Post 54370353)
Based on what? Based on NHL UFA market value? Maybe. Based on our own teams structure? Definitely not.

for a player coming up on UFA, shouldn't his value be based on the UFA market? if he will take a contract under the bieksa-cap, great, but edler is too important to this team to let him walk as a UFA.

y2kcanucks 09-16-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myrocketsgotcracked (Post 54371677)
for a player coming up on UFA, shouldn't his value be based on the UFA market? if he will take a contract under the bieksa-cap, great, but edler is too important to this team to let him walk as a UFA.

Bieksa was coming up on UFA. Garrison WAS a UFA. As was Hamhuis.

If Edler is demanding anywhere near $6M I would look to trade him.

myrocketsgotcracked 09-16-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2kcanucks (Post 54371571)
That's a significant overpayment. You have to consider that Edler is not our best defenseman.

he may not be our best "overall" defenseman, but he is IMO our best offensive defenseman, and when he is on his game the most dominant Dman we had since Jovo, again IMO.
$6M/yr for edler is not an overpayment (this is based on the old cap, who knows what the new CBA will bring), just look at the contracts handed out to UFA Dman this summer, wideman at $5.5M!? how is edler not worth $.5M more?