HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   "Potvin sucks!" - Keep it, change it, or get rid of it? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1260881)

KingWantsCup 09-16-2012 04:56 PM

"Potvin sucks!" - Keep it, change it, or get rid of it?

The "Potvin sucks" chant has been around since 1979. I personally think that it needs to either be done away with or modified. I like the idea of keeping the tradition but many fans weren't even alive in 1979. I think when the season finally starts up we should give Bettman this "honor." "Bettman sucks" even sounds similar. Same amount of syllables. Considering Bettman now has 3 lockouts under his belt, I don't think it would ever get old bashing him, unlike the Potvin chant. So sign me up for that.

How do you feel about the "Potvin sucks" chant?

Callagraves 09-16-2012 04:58 PM

I wouldn't mind losing it altogether, or waiting until someone pisses us off enough to change it.

Clowes Line 09-16-2012 05:01 PM

While it may be irrelevant nowadays, it is still tradition. You don't get rid of tradition. Keep it.

Brooklyn Ranger 09-16-2012 05:07 PM

Keep it.

Kreider 09-16-2012 05:08 PM

I already just generally chant whatever is fitting (Crosby, Marty etc.)

Definitely wanna hear some bettman this year (or next...)

Killem Dafoe 09-16-2012 05:09 PM

change it to "Crosby sucks"? :dunno:

Killem Dafoe 09-16-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipolar (Post 54377331)
I already just generally chant whatever is fitting (Crosby, Marty etc.)

Definitely wanna hear some bettman this year (or next...)

No doubt we will. He gets booed enough when he shows his face.. Now?..he'll have to come out in the Pope bubble car.

pld459666 09-16-2012 05:31 PM

I want to hear the Potvin Sucks chant 50 years from now

Bob Richards 09-16-2012 06:00 PM

I think it makes us sound dumb. Still complaining about something that happened a billion years ago. The Islanders don't need our validation to remind them that they blow.

Silence Of The Plams 09-16-2012 06:06 PM

well, HF doesn't make up all the NYR fans at the Garden, especially the ones older than 20... so...

Riverdale 09-16-2012 06:06 PM

Keep it.

Its a chant, who cares if it is irrelevant now? Its better than silence. Its also a tradition, so keep it. I will never understand people who complain about chants. Would you prefer a completely silent/boring crowd like baseball has?

-31- 09-16-2012 06:15 PM

Anyone who has listened to an Ottawa Senators broadcast recently know that Potvin still definitely sucks.

Giacomin 09-16-2012 06:35 PM

Definitely Keep it!
The chant is over 30 years old but it is a tradition. What I don,t find surprising is that the majority of the fans who want it phased out were not even born in 1979.
I was lucky to be a teenager in 1979 but that being said it is a tradition that has been around for 1979 and is part of the character of our team and it,s fans so Let,s Keep It!

bobbop 09-16-2012 06:50 PM

Keep it forever.

Fathers should be teaching their children what a cheap shot bum he was.

(I did!)

Stasis 09-16-2012 07:03 PM

I don't think it'll die down until next generation, when truly all of the older fans are gone or too old to be rowdy =P Even then I'm not sure it will truly die out completely.

That said, I really want a united fanbase across the NHL to chant something against Bettman at every single season opening game. How awesome would that be?

Ail 09-16-2012 07:09 PM

I'm not from the generation of fans who birthed it, but I can say with certainty it would still annoy the **** out of me if I was.

People complain about some of the goofy and ridiculous chants around the league, well the truth of it is, MSG might have the most pathetic and irritating of them all.

It probably wouldn't bother me as much if it wasn't a. ) specific to one event or player and b.) done every other minute.

ck20 09-16-2012 09:18 PM

The Caps have an annoying goal horn. The Canucks have an annoying team. The Penguins have Crysby. Why can't we have an annoying 5-second "chant"? Plus it's tradition. :yo:

Honestly though, I'm partial to chants like what we did to Ovie during the playoffs and chanting "OVIE SUCKS" at the 8-minute mark. Except we'd have to modify it for every team/a particular player/time..

Screw it, let's just keep using "Potvin sucks".

Silence Of The Plams 09-16-2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htk30 (Post 54384685)
The Caps have an annoying goal horn. The Canucks have an annoying team. The Penguins have Crysby. Why can't we have an annoying 5-second "chant"? Plus it's tradition. :yo:

Honestly though, I'm partial to chants like what we did to Ovie during the playoffs and chanting "OVIE SUCKS" at the 8-minute mark. Except we'd have to modify it for every team/a particular player/time..

Screw it, let's just keep using "Potvin sucks".

"Bettman sucks! Bettman sucks! Bettman suck?"

Giacomin 09-16-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbop (Post 54380221)
Keep it forever.

Fathers should be teaching their children what a cheap shot bum he was.

(I did!)

My Son is just 9 years old but even he knows that Potvin Sucks and knows he was a cheap shot bum from the hated Islanders.

wolfgaze 09-17-2012 03:36 AM

It wouldn't be such a nuisance if you only had to hear it once a game...

At this point I have no attachment to the chant and wouldn't care if it was done away with. I just don't want to hear it three, four, or five times when I'm at the game...

Gardner McKay 09-17-2012 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingWantsCup (Post 54376973)
The "Potvin sucks" chant has been around since 1979. I personally think that it needs to either be done away with or modified. I like the idea of keeping the tradition but many fans weren't even alive in 1979. I think when the season finally starts up we should give Bettman this "honor." "Bettman sucks" even sounds similar. Same amount of syllables. Considering Bettman now has 4 lockouts under his belt, I don't think it would ever get old bashing him, unlike the Potvin chant. So sign me up for that.

Well I am glad your not running the show. Its tradition. You don't ******* with tradition. I could careless about Bettman. I don't like him, but he's not a former Icegirl and didn't end any Rangers careers.

This thread comes up every six months or so from people who think its immature, old, etc. You don't like it then mute the TV when you hear it or don't go to the games because its going to be here for a very long time and that is something you should embrace.

Mr Atoz 09-17-2012 07:30 AM

A friend of mine says that the chant won't change until it changes to "Potvin's Dead".

Shadowtron 09-17-2012 07:43 AM

Keep. It's a tradition. Doesn't bother me at all.

SwedishBullet62 09-17-2012 07:55 AM

If u wana go to MSG and tell every person their not allowed to do a three word chant anymore because a pole on a hockey website said so be my guest.

Procrastinator 09-17-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingWantsCup (Post 54376973)
The "Potvin sucks" chant has been around since 1979. I personally think that it needs to either be done away with or modified. I like the idea of keeping the tradition but many fans weren't even alive in 1979. I think when the season finally starts up we should give Bettman this "honor." "Bettman sucks" even sounds similar. Same amount of syllables. Considering Bettman now has 4 lockouts under his belt, I don't think it would ever get old bashing him, unlike the Potvin chant. So sign me up for that.

Maybe we should stop singing the national anthem before the games? Half the people are lip syncing and don't even know the words.

Maybe stop the traditional hand shake after a playoff series concludes?

There are hockey traditions and there are team traditions.

POTVIN SUCKS !! is OUR tradition. It stays as it should because OURS.

The only thing i liked about Jagr's stay with the rangers is that he really started the center ice salute to the fans after every home game/win.

Which now other teams in the nhl are stealing from us.