HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Not buying any tickets this year! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1260941)

Icelevel 09-16-2012 07:29 PM

Not buying any tickets this year!
 
This fan has spoken.

want more lockouts? do the opposite.

GK 09-16-2012 07:33 PM

You can't buy tickets this year though...

WantEggRoll 09-16-2012 07:33 PM

Big market team like Toronto/Philly/New York I'm sure this approach would work. Small market team like Ottawa would lose the team if everyone was to follow your advice. Yeah the lockout is annoying, but in all reality I can find other things to do with my time, and when the Sens are back I'll be right back with them.

Marvelous Manked 09-16-2012 07:40 PM

In the words of my Grade 9 Math teacher:

"I'm sorry, you must have mistaken me for someone who cares"

Icelevel 09-16-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WantEggRoll (Post 54381399)
Big market team like Toronto/Philly/New York I'm sure this approach would work. Small market team like Ottawa would lose the team if everyone was to follow your advice. Yeah the lockout is annoying, but in all reality I can find other things to do with my time, and when the Sens are back I'll be right back with them.

every fanbase needs to do this.
saying you'll be right back with them is great support but puts no pressure on anyone to move it forward.

The Fuhr* 09-16-2012 07:58 PM

I'll just watch the AHL till the NHL comes back... its not a big deal if there is no NHL for a few months.

Tundraman 09-16-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Below (Post 54382295)
I'll just watch the AHL till the NHL comes back... its not a big deal if there is no NHL for a few months.

It's much harder to get to live games and the television / online feeds (although better than nothing) really suck. Nothing like sports in good old HD!

The Fuhr* 09-16-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tundraman (Post 54382401)
It's much harder to get to live games and the television / online feeds (although better than nothing) really suck. Nothing like sports in good old HD!

I can go to Bulldog games and im in driving distance of a bunch of OHL teams.

Inkling 09-16-2012 08:18 PM

You do realize that we haven't even lost a single exhibition game yet don't you?

I'm sympathetic with anyone who wants to protest against an NHL lockout but I'd prefer we all wait until we've actually been impacted to get indignant.

Do Make Say Think 09-16-2012 09:07 PM

If we stop going to games then the Senators could be forced to relocate.

It's the nature of the beast.

Besides the players are entirely to blame for this: the NHL has been asking the PA to start talking in Novembre 2011.

OmniSens 09-16-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Below (Post 54382295)
I'll just watch the AHL till the NHL comes back... its not a big deal if there is no NHL for a few months.

*twitch* This...:loony:

SensPromo 09-16-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GK (Post 54381395)
You can't buy tickets this year though...

:handclap:

Like others have said, Ottawa couldn't handle people not going. I'd rather keep the team than try some sort of protest when we actually have them back playing...

sens4life 09-17-2012 09:15 AM

Ottawa isn't at the root of the problem either...is there anyone that thinks Melnyk agrees with the work stoppage? Hardly. Eugene has a budget and will stick to it, even if other owners can't control themselves and this lack of control is causing the lockout.

Ottawa isn't the problem. It's the model of solution that all NHL clubs should be using.

Lenny the Lynx 09-17-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sens4life (Post 54393387)
Ottawa isn't at the root of the problem either...is there anyone that thinks Melnyk agrees with the work stoppage? Hardly. Eugene has a budget and will stick to it, even if other owners can't control themselves and this lack of control is causing the lockout.

Ottawa isn't the problem. It's the model of solution that all NHL clubs should be using.

Melnyk (and every other owner) voted yes to the work stoppage, so yes they agree with it. Maybe they don't deep down but its the vote that counts.

Xspyrit 09-17-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icelevel (Post 54381905)
every fanbase needs to do this.
saying you'll be right back with them is great support but puts no pressure on anyone to move it forward.

You're talking to the masses, people in general are going to accept whatever the deciders tell them to do. They know how to use pressure means, but we sure shouldn't do the same!

There was a time when people used to fight for their rights and liberty. Now people are sitting on their big arses in comfort and luxury

That being said, not buying tickets to Sens games (or any other small market) hurt the team more than anything else. We'd need big markets to boycott their team (like Montreal, Toronto, New York, Philly, Boston...) but go tell them... it's likely impossible to reach everyone and I know there will be 21 273 people at the first Bell Center game this year.

sens4life 09-17-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BumperStumper (Post 54393807)
Melnyk (and every other owner) voted yes to the work stoppage, so yes they agree with it. Maybe they don't deep down but its the vote that counts.

well, of course every owner signed up to show solidarity, but if I were Melnyk, I'd be peeved that due to some owners not being able to keep it in their pants, he's suffering....

Smash88 09-17-2012 10:10 AM

Like everyone else said, it's basically impossible that a boycott of tickets would work.

But if we can start the Alfie chant through message boards, could we not try to organize some kind of protest at each home opener, whenever it is?

I have no clue what could be done or said, but if it was the same message in all NHL arenas, I think it could be a pretty powerful statement...

sens4life 09-17-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smash88 (Post 54394723)
Like everyone else said, it's basically impossible that a boycott of tickets would work.

But if we can start the Alfie chant through message boards, could we not try to organize some kind of protest at each home opener, whenever it is?

I have no clue what could be done or said, but if it was the same message in all NHL arenas, I think it could be a pretty powerful statement...

The message isn't supposed to be delivered at the home opener...it's to be delivered now...i think most fans, whether they come back or not, want their voices to be heard and be part of a larger voice that the NHL fans represent...someone needs to bring everyone together...

tony d 09-17-2012 10:29 AM

I see a lot of fans doing this but it won't work. Once the game comes back so will the fans.

Rals 09-17-2012 10:34 AM

I just bought 67s season ticket

Smash88 09-17-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sens4life (Post 54394879)
The message isn't supposed to be delivered at the home opener...it's to be delivered now...i think most fans, whether they come back or not, want their voices to be heard and be part of a larger voice that the NHL fans represent...someone needs to bring everyone together...

A message now won't be heard... If 20,000 people in every arena on national broadcasts are saying something it will be heard.

Either way, the fan has no pull in this anyhow, but we can cause an the league a little bit of a headache if they constantly have to answer questions about fan demos at the games...

Minister of Offence 09-17-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WantEggRoll (Post 54381399)
Big market team like Toronto/Philly/New York I'm sure this approach would work. Small market team like Ottawa would lose the team if everyone was to follow your advice. Yeah the lockout is annoying, but in all reality I can find other things to do with my time, and when the Sens are back I'll be right back with them.

I'm gonna start using my left hand.

lafite 09-17-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smash88 (Post 54395627)
A message now won't be heard... If 20,000 people in every arena on national broadcasts are saying something it will be heard.

Either way, the fan has no pull in this anyhow, but we can cause an the league a little bit of a headache if they constantly have to answer questions about fan demos at the games...

If 20,000 people are not heard, because they won't be there, that is what would be effective. I think that is the best thing NHL fans could do, boycott the first game back.

That won't hurt the players, just the owners who got everything they wanted last time they had a lock-out, and now want more. I go to games to watch hockey players, not dorks in suits carrying briefcases.

That is the only power fans have, and a one game boycott would send a message where it would be felt the most.

Smash88 09-17-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lafite (Post 54399593)
If 20,000 people are not heard, because they won't be there, that is what would be effective. I think that is the best thing NHL fans could do, boycott the first game back.

That won't hurt the players, just the owners who got everything they wanted last time they had a lock-out, and now want more. I go to games to watch hockey players, not dorks in suits carrying briefcases.

That is the only power fans have, and a one game boycott would send a message where it would be felt the most.

That would be ideal, but next to impossible... People will go no matter what, no one can stop them..

Melnyks Mirage 09-17-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian Guy (Post 54384293)
If we stop going to games then the Senators could be forced to relocate.

It's the nature of the beast.

Besides the players are entirely to blame for this: the NHL has been asking the PA to start talking in Novembre 2011.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WantEggRoll (Post 54381399)
Big market team like Toronto/Philly/New York I'm sure this approach would work. Small market team like Ottawa would lose the team if everyone was to follow your advice. Yeah the lockout is annoying, but in all reality I can find other things to do with my time, and when the Sens are back I'll be right back with them.

We're not re-locating. That ship sailed with the Bryden Bowls. Melnyk himself said that attendance would have to drop precipitously for that to happen and guess what, the team now has enough young fans that will attend games through thick and thin that the team can survive a year-long lockout. Season tickets will erod but the passionate young fans will fill the blanks.

Source:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...ling-senators/

You know what, they’re absolutely dead on — if you put me into the movie Wizard of Oz next to Dorothy while she’s clicking her heels.

“They’re out of their minds. That team will never be sold,” Melnyk said by telephone from his Barbados home.

"It would have to get to the point of one of these other teams (Phoenix, Atlanta), where nobody really gives a damn,” he said. “There’s not a chance that’s going to happen, I think, in my lifetime, in Ottawa. The fans are too loyal, too crazy. They’re going nuts. They’re driving me crazy.”

We're fine, just wait it out and get tickets when and if you want them. The team is in good shape.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.