HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXX - Naughty Edition (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1261031)

Royal Canuck 09-17-2012 12:25 AM

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXX - Naughty Edition

:naughty:

Continue, hope my roman numeral understanding was right.

Vankiller Whale 09-17-2012 12:31 AM

So if our team was so terrible offensively why did we outscore the Kings when Schneider was in net? We could definitely use scoring depth, but our team right now is still a legit cup contender, and the best in the west imo.

KISSland 09-17-2012 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale (Post 54389673)
So if our team was so terrible offensively why did we outscore the Kings when Schneider was in net? We could definitely use scoring depth, but our team right now is still a legit cup contender, and the best in the west imo.

Two game sample size is nothing. Look back to 2011 and then come back. This team needs scoring help.

Going back with the same/very similar product and expecting different results is just dumb.

Reverend Mayhem 09-17-2012 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale (Post 54389673)

We couldn't outscore LA with Schneider either. 4-4 I believe. Our team is a legit contender, but why does scoring all of a sudden seem like the hardest thing to do in April and beyond when all we do from October to January is score goals like the 90s Red Wings?

DJOpus 09-17-2012 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem (Post 54390273)
We couldn't outscore LA with Schneider either. 4-4 I believe. Our team is a legit contender, but why does scoring all of a sudden seem like the hardest thing to do in April and beyond when all we do from October to January is score goals like the 90s Red Wings?

Because the rules are different in the playoffs and we are trying to add skilled size to address that. Not necessarily for toughness but so they can fight through interference and score. We are trying to find more guys like healthy Kesler and less guys like H. Sedin because the reffing turns against the Sedin style of play in the playoffs.

Bleach Clean 09-17-2012 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJOpus (Post 54390791)
Because the rules are different in the playoffs and we are trying to add skilled size to address that. Not necessarily for toughness but so they can fight through interference and score. We are trying to find more guys like healthy Kesler and less guys like H. Sedin because the reffing turns against the Sedin style of play in the playoffs.

I understand your reasoning and it is sound. Bigger players will fight through interference better. They also wear down opposing defenses better. However, it still comes down to the will of the players already here. The supplements won't change the core. They can augment, but not completely replace what the Sedins are expected to do.

Basically, the Sedins have to continue to evolve their game. I saw a bit of it from Henrik in the LA series. He was playing a harder brand of hockey. Daniel needs to do the same. My hope is that they follow what Sundin did as he got older. The ex leaf only got more deliberate and intense in his play. I hope they go the same way.

After that, and as long as Raymond is not a top6 fixture, this team has the personal to do damage. I just don't know if they have the game plan, beyond just relying on their players to "figure it out". It's like the team needs to be lead by something, anything, to advance to the next step.

JanBulisPiggyBack 09-17-2012 06:57 AM

I agree with the last poster entirely

I also think that it's fair to say this team lives by the power play and dies by the power play

The power play we were employing dried up, perhaps it takes a lot more work to redevelop and put in play a new system, but it faile leading up to the playoffs and the bottom fell out completely during.

Reverend Mayhem 09-17-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJOpus (Post 54390791)

We did? All I remember was adding Booth, Kassian, Pahlsson, and Gragnani to our line-up. Then we sat out Kassian in the playoffs. Booth was coming off injury and Kesler is Kesler so he was pretty much a non-factor besides the big hit on Doughty.

AndyPipkin 09-17-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanBulisPiggyBack (Post 54391697)
I agree with the last poster entirely

I also think that it's fair to say this team lives by the power play and dies by the power play

The power play we were employing dried up, perhaps it takes a lot more work to redevelop and put in play a new system, but it faile leading up to the playoffs and the bottom fell out completely during.

Our PP was atrocious. Same crappy set up every single time.

ddawg1950 09-17-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyPipkin (Post 54398233)
Our PP was atrocious. Same crappy set up every single time.

A little OT here Andy, but does your witch friend have anything to say in terms of predictions about the lockout?

And do we not have anyone with the capability of setting up a pool prediction here?

i would do it but I have a brain the size of a walnut.

y2kcanucks 09-17-2012 01:10 PM

We need to build our team as one of the best even strength producers. It's nice to win games by dominating the power play, but if we can't score at even strength then we won't get far in the playoffs without another stellar 2011 performance like the one we got from Luongo.

Royal Canuck 09-17-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2kcanucks (Post 54398883)
We need to build our team as one of the best even strength producers. It's nice to win games by dominating the power play, but if we can't score at even strength then we won't get far in the playoffs without another stellar 2011 performance like the one we got from Luongo.

There's also the defensive side of killing a penalty that we have to work on as well. Luongo also saved our bacon numerous times on the PK and kept us in it. All around we just need to be consistent if you ask me, we don't have to be stellar at one certain point of our game. As long as we play 60 minutes night in, night out while playing consistently well, We're the best team in the league.

Reverend Mayhem 09-17-2012 01:29 PM

^ Like someone said a while back on the boards, no team can play 60 minutes a game well without wearing themselves out during the regular season let alone playoffs. It's how your team handles the ebb and flow of the game that makes teams successful. If you are good for 40 minutes, but disastrous for 20 minutes there is a good chance you lose that game. If you are good for 30 minutes and OK for 30 your chances of winning are much higher.

Scurr 09-17-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

My money says Schneider will do better than Lu's .916 save percentage in those playoffs most years.

y2kcanucks 09-17-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scurr (Post 54405773)
My money says Schneider will do better than Lu's .916 save percentage in those playoffs most years.

I prefer to eliminate the outliers and look at the numbers that he put up 90% of the time rather than the bad 10%.

Royal Canuck 09-17-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem (Post 54399395)
^ Like someone said a while back on the boards, no team can play 60 minutes a game well without wearing themselves out during the regular season let alone playoffs. It's how your team handles the ebb and flow of the game that makes teams successful. If you are good for 40 minutes, but disastrous for 20 minutes there is a good chance you lose that game. If you are good for 30 minutes and OK for 30 your chances of winning are much higher.

a 60 minute game doesn't require all the energy your team has. You can keep a healthy team by keeping shifts short and knowing when to just dump the puck in and get a change. What I should've said is not let our guard down with 15 minutes to go and let the other team back in the game.

me2 09-17-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2kcanucks (Post 54406421)
I prefer to eliminate the outliers and look at the numbers that he put up 90% of the time rather than the bad 10%.

I like median sv% too.

Scottrockztheworld* 09-17-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Except other teams players had success against the teams that we played, so why couldn't we?.

Again things change from series to series! Like how Thomas was awful against the Lightning but was great against Montreal, Philly & us. Momentum hardly goes from game to game now let alone series to series. I don't get how that is hard to understand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2kcanucks (Post 54406421)

isn't that being selective about stats? You know cherry picking stats to suite your favor...:facepalm:

LiquidSnake 09-17-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imagine17 (Post 54412325)
Again things change from series to series! Like how Thomas was awful against the Lightning but was great against Montreal, Philly & us. Momentum hardly goes from game to game now let alone series to series. I don't get how that is hard to understand.

Similar to Luongo being solid vs SJ and average against Nashville, followed by subpar vs Chicago and Boston

Vankiller Whale 09-17-2012 10:08 PM

Unfortunately luck plays a bigger role in the playoffs than we'd like to believe.

Verviticus 09-17-2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale (Post 54412679)
Unfortunately luck plays a bigger role in the playoffs than we'd like to believe.

uh??????????????????????????????? if you dont win the cup you didn't want it enough. also you lacked leadership and grit and also good old canadian heart. if you have all those things and you lost, the other team was cheating through reffing/balance/coaching/fanbase

Vankiller Whale 09-17-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verviticus (Post 54413375)
uh??????????????????????????????? if you dont win the cup you didn't want it enough. also you lacked leadership and grit and also good old canadian heart. if you have all those things and you lost, the other team was cheating through reffing/balance/coaching/fanbase

Or maybe a lucky bounce? Or a freak injury? We've never gone into the playoffs with a fully healthy roster against teams missing their star players(Daniel Sedin, Pietrangelo, to take the Kings for example). Yes, you need a good team. But just because you lose doesn't mean we should go into full panic mode. Obviously coaching/mind set has a lot to do with it as well, but it's not as simple as adding one more piece(although it would help). If all the pieces we do have happened to contribute a little more, and if Schneider plays like he did last year, then I see no reason why we can't win with our current roster. While obviously I'd always want to improve, I wouldn't rage if we didn't.

Kesler is Bestler 09-17-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:

You forgot the ":sarcasm:"

shortshorts 09-17-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Usually I'd assume this is sarcasm, especially with this post having a mocking undertone.. But since this is HFboards, I don't actually know anymore :cry::cry:

Scottrockztheworld* 09-18-2012 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale (Post 54412679)

When you're on the wrong end it sure does suck but when you're on the good end.... boy is it ever great!