HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Issues Cancelling Season Tickets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1261377)

flountown 09-17-2012 07:27 PM

Issues Cancelling Season Tickets

So I decided today to try cancelling my season tickets and get a refund, only to be informed of a No Refund/No Exchange policy. I wanted to see if others had the same thoughts as me, and whether or not you are going to really push until they cave. I find it absurd that the teams can cancel the season, but I can't simply cancel my tickets to something that is no longer occuring for the forseeable future.

The two options they have given us, are extremely terrible. 2% interest on the money doesn't cover the 15 or so % that I pay on my credit card, and the monthly payback structure still lines the team's pockets with my money for 28, 59, 89, etc days longer than they should be entitled to it, since they themselves cancelled the product I paid them to see.

Please post up any experiences you have had, or if someone manages to actually cancel their tickets, share the argument that you used so we can all benefit from your persuasive efforts. Also, if anyone wants to collect stories and speak to beat writers, I'd love for the NHL to take a further PR hit for screwing over their most (financially) committed fans.

pughater 09-17-2012 07:37 PM

i believe the flyers front office thinks the season will start on time plus they always roll over credits

pughater 09-17-2012 08:25 PM

csn philly is reporting ur credit gets interest as lockout is going on or monthly refunds

Murphy7 09-17-2012 08:40 PM

Sorry to say they haven't canceled the season. In fact, they have yet to cancel a single game. We bought tickets to the 2012-13 season, and at this point, there still is a 2012-13 season.
They are willing to refund you money as games are postponed. That's all they have to do. We bought the tickets before a schedule had even been released, so the argument of not knowing when games will be doesn't work.

As for the 2%, it is sub-standard. Here's what I've found so far ...
Interest rates offered to STH by team: Flyers 2%, Anaheim 5%, Boston 3% (locks in 13-14 season), Buffalo 4%, Carolina 3%, Chicago 2%, Columbus 4%, Dallas 5%, Edmonton 4%, Los Angeles 5%, Minnesota 10%, Toronto 5%, Vancouver 2%, Washington 1%, Winnipeg 3%. Among 15 teams that have announced, the average is 3.9%

As for covering your CC interest, that isn't going to go anywhere with the Flyers. They aren't responsible for your financing of your tickets. Teams are going to hold their STH to their agreement to purchase tickets, no matter what. Perhaps if someone makes an organized, concerted effort -- with a lawyer -- to get out of the tickets, they might (unlikely) have a chance.
At this point, I'm just happy they aren't pulling a Bruins and automatically signing you up for 2013-14 season, or making those folks on payment plans continue to make their monthly payments. Smart, because I could see those details being a lot more actionable at this point. Once games are erased from the schedule, I'd think there would then be a more viable argument for a full refund.

Sawdalite 09-18-2012 01:35 AM

Yes; a contract is a contract... and we are being held to one.

As for the 2% Simple interest, they state outright in their email to the STHs that it is above the Current Bank Rates which IIRC CSN reports as 1%... and CSN also points out it is higher than a 1.75% IIRC CD, and I truly believe CSN is getting that from the Flyers also.

Some Ranger fan on Twitter -- who I assume is no a STH -- suggest that all NHL STHs should demand the money back and hold strong to pulling out and leaving the owners high and dry... As a longtime STH and one with both tenure and a desirable seat location, I flatly say that that will never happen on my part... I will not make a point and fall back to the bottom of the pecking order and up to the last row in the nosebleed section... I will not bie off my nose to spite my face. I put up with a lot because they have me by the balls at this point... they have me... they have us... and they know damn well they do.

That said, all recent STHs pulling out can surely help to prove a point... and people who purchase single games and walk-up and from STHs can help prove a point by taking a season off to watch on TV... It will hurt STHs who sell off games, but that hurt will only be temporary and bearable... much more bearable than our giving up out seat locations forever.

[/RANT]

PAZUZU 09-18-2012 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murphy7 (Post 54410305)
Sorry to say they haven't canceled the season. In fact, they have yet to cancel a single game. We bought tickets to the 2012-13 season, and at this point, there still is a 2012-13 season.

while i can appreciate your optimism, given the mass exodus of players to european leagues that we are seeing, i cannot share it. offering interest on top of money already paid for tickets doesn't indicate to me any hope of a quick resolution.

did they offer interest payments to STH at the onset of the last lockout?

JLHockeyKnight 09-18-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAZUZU (Post 54418369)
while i can appreciate your optimism, given the mass exodus of players to european leagues that we are seeing, i cannot share it. offering interest on top of money already paid for tickets doesn't indicate to me any hope of a quick resolution.

I don't really see it as an exodus, just a backup plan. And part of the political game of the players saying they can just find work elsewhere. Just part of the "negotiations" in my eyes. To each's own, I guess.

As for the topic at hand, I hate to say it folks Sawdalite's right. A contract's a contract.

Murphy7 09-18-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAZUZU (Post 54418369)

I can assure you it is not optimism. I don't believe a game gets played before December, if at all, this season. However, saying the season has been canceled is not factually accurate at this time. As of this morning, that first preseason game next week is still on the schedule. I do not believe it will be played, but it has not yet been canceled.

DayoftheGreek 09-18-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flountown (Post 54408173)
The two options they have given us, are extremely terrible. 2% interest on the money doesn't cover the 15 or so % that I pay on my credit card, and the monthly payback structure still lines the team's pockets with my money for 28, 59, 89, etc days longer than they should be entitled to it, since they themselves cancelled the product I paid them to see.

Not to pretend to know anything about your financial situation or judge you for it, but do you really keep your season ticket bills on a credit card at 15%?

flountown 09-19-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DayoftheGreek (Post 54420299)
Not to pretend to know anything about your financial situation or judge you for it, but do you really keep your season ticket bills on a credit card at 15%?

I pay them off, but if I were to be refunded my money, I could pay off more of my credit card, or student loans. I am basically saying that I could put that 1000+ or so that they are holdding onto, to much better use than the Flyers at the moment. Now if the season had gone off with out an issue, I'd be fine, because the money that I paid would be offering me entertainment, as of now it offers me nothing.

Orange Crush 89 09-21-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flountown (Post 54452193)
I pay them off, but if I were to be refunded my money, I could pay off more of my credit card, or student loans. I am basically saying that I could put that 1000+ or so that they are holdding onto, to much better use than the Flyers at the moment. Now if the season had gone off with out an issue, I'd be fine, because the money that I paid would be offering me entertainment, as of now it offers me nothing.

Yay for priorities! :D Go America!

flountown 09-25-2012 11:12 AM

So the past couple days, this has become even more aggravating, I am looking to move back into the city, and 1200 dollars would essentially be a security deposit and most of a last month's rent.

I am waiting until a regular season game has been cancelled and I will be calling back to cancel.

Moving forward, I plan on not renewing until Gary Bettman is out of a job, he calls us too stupid to stay away, which I am, I will never walk away from hockey, I enjoy it too much. But I can at least make sure that I won't be as invested in something that can be so easily taken away by that asshat.

Flyerfan4life 09-25-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flountown (Post 54577065)
So the past couple days, this has become even more aggravating, I am looking to move back into the city, and 1200 dollars would essentially be a security deposit and most of a last month's rent.

I am waiting until a regular season game has been cancelled and I will be calling back to cancel.

Moving forward, I plan on not renewing until Gary Bettman is out of a job, he calls us too stupid to stay away, which I am, I will never walk away from hockey, I enjoy it too much. But I can at least make sure that I won't be as invested in something that can be so easily taken away by that asshat.

maybe just dont green light the season tix on the year of CBA is up..

that way u can enjoy hockey excepting for the year of the cba negotations.

the whole situation is so stupid that they wait until there is no time before getting a new cba worked out.

MsWoof 09-25-2012 02:19 PM

Can you open up a line of credit at the bank and pay the credit card from it? Their interest rate is cheaper than a credit card.

flountown 09-25-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsWoof (Post 54580841)
Can you open up a line of credit at the bank and pay the credit card from it? Their interest rate is cheaper than a credit card.

Once I have a month or two at my new job, and I am settled in, I will talk to some of my finance friends to see if it's worth consolidating the bit on my credit card in with my student loans, then set up a direct debit system to save .25% on the interest. The thing is, it's easier to meet up with my finance friends if I lived in the city, and the Flyers are currently holding the proper amount of money I would need for first month's rent and a deposit at a building in Fairmount, :(...

McDugan 09-28-2012 03:02 PM

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

FlyerX 09-29-2012 05:03 PM

Interesting how the team management is holding you to your contract yet is currently trying to weasel out of contracts they've already signed with the players. I just mention it in passing.