HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Time to Rebuild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1261605)

maryannshabs* 09-18-2012 10:19 AM

Time to Rebuild
 
If there is a season, and predictably the Habs are near the bottom of the standings around the trade deadline, I suggest we rid ourselves of players like Plekanec, Gionta, etc, to contenders needing that one piece they think will get them over the hump come playoff time. This way we get more picks, prospects, to go with the decent draft we finally had this past June. Gainey and Gauthier left us in such a mess, it will take several years to rebuild this once proud franchise into a contender again.:p:

Dagistitsyn 09-18-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryannshabs (Post 54421017)
If there is a season, and predictably the Habs are near the bottom of the standings around the trade deadline, I suggest we rid ourselves of players like Plekanec, Gionta, etc, to contenders needing that one piece they think will get them over the hump come playoff time. This way we get more picks, prospects, to go with the decent draft we finally had this past June. Gainey and Gauthier left us in such a mess, it will take several years to rebuild this once proud franchise into a contender again.:p:

I'd rather keep Pleks for a long time. Unless the return is very,very high.

DogsFan* 09-18-2012 10:45 AM

You haven't even seen the team play yet, and here we are asking for a rebuild.

Habs fans. :shakehead

maryannshabs* 09-18-2012 10:46 AM

For what??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrowe21 (Post 54421381)
I'd rather keep Pleks for a long time. Unless the return is very,very high.

A Decent trade would suffice me, what irks many Habs fans is how Trevor Timmons gets all these accolades by some Habs fans that don't have their facts straight. How long has he been our scouting director?/ Ten plus years, and we finished Last in the conference, what does that say about the job he is, or isnt doing?? Funniest thing is we fo out and sign Prust and former Leafs player Armstrong , which means we cant even draft and develop prospects good enough in Ten years of drafs to produce our own Third and Fourth line players. Now, how sad is That??

Jerk Store 09-18-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryannshabs (Post 54421575)
A Decent trade would suffice me, what irks many Habs fans is how Trevor Timmons gets all these accolades by some Habs fans that don't have their facts straight. How long has he been our scouting director?/ Ten plus years, and we finished Last in the conference, what does that say about the job he is, or isnt doing?? Funniest thing is we fo out and sign Prust and former Leafs player Armstrong , which means we cant even draft and develop prospects good enough in Ten years of drafs to produce our own Third and Fourth line players. Now, how sad is That??

I suggest you do more research. While some of Timmins picks didn't pan out, he has churned out some very good NHL talent which sadly isn't necessarily playing for the Habs. IMO he's done a remarkable job.

Roulin 09-18-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryannshabs (Post 54421575)
what irks many Habs fans is how Trevor Timmons gets all these accolades by some Habs fans that don't have their facts straight. How long has he been our scouting director?/ Ten plus years, and we finished Last in the conference, what does that say about the job he is, or isnt doing??

Do you really think that's the best way to evaluate a team's drafting - by looking at wins and losses, lumping the draft in with every other factor?

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryannshabs (Post 54421575)
Funniest thing is we fo out and sign Prust and former Leafs player Armstrong , which means we cant even draft and develop prospects good enough in Ten years of drafs to produce our own Third and Fourth line players. Now, how sad is That??

Higgins-Eller-Leblanc
Chipchura-Lapierre-White

...would have been just fine as a bottom six. Timmins has drafted plenty of quality forwards.

Et le But 09-18-2012 11:03 AM

The new Ben Maxwell will save us, don't worry.

Odelein24 09-18-2012 11:14 AM

I remember hearing that Kostitsyn wasn't Timmins' guy (he wanted J. Carter) but he was overruled.

I shed a tear every time I think about a McDonagh/Subban pairing :(

Habs 4 Life 09-18-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odelein24 (Post 54422153)
I remember hearing that Kostitsyn wasn't Timmins' guy (he wanted J. Carter) but he was overruled.

I shed a tear every time I think about a McDonagh/Subban pairing :(

Isn't it Andre Savard that pushed for Jeff Carter but the Habs scouting said they wanted Kostitsyn instead? I'm pretty sure

Andy 09-18-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odelein24 (Post 54422153)
I remember hearing that Kostitsyn wasn't Timmins' guy (he wanted J. Carter) but he was overruled.

I shed a tear every time I think about a McDonagh/Subban pairing :(

It wasn't Timmins, it was Savard.

Andrighetto Fabolous 09-18-2012 11:41 AM

Plekanec and Gionta are two of the hardest working players in the league, these are the type of guys you want around to help your young guys progress.

Pierre Dagenais 09-18-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryannshabs (Post 54421575)
A Decent trade would suffice me, what irks many Habs fans is how Trevor Timmons gets all these accolades by some Habs fans that don't have their facts straight. How long has he been our scouting director?/ Ten plus years, and we finished Last in the conference, what does that say about the job he is, or isnt doing?? Funniest thing is we fo out and sign Prust and former Leafs player Armstrong , which means we cant even draft and develop prospects good enough in Ten years of drafs to produce our own Third and Fourth line players. Now, how sad is That??

Timmins doesn't control which prospects get traded and which prospects get kept. He could provide advice but ultimately, the GM decides who to trade.

Would you be saying this if we kept McDonagh?

Boris Le Tigre 09-18-2012 12:21 PM

... tough to say without the benefit of a season to evaluate the individual players and the roster, overall. But if we are loosing it would make sense to liquidate some of these depreciating assets... especially if teams want to offer a lot of value back in return.

That's just standard fare though. One would hope we would do that. There is no sense in keeping a guy like Plekanec if there will be a hot market for his services. We look to finally have some C depth so you go out and try to improve in short term future by way of the trade market using a good chip like him.... it's a business after all.

Odelein24 09-18-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 54422559)
It wasn't Timmins, it was Savard.

I stand corrected, thank you for setting the record straight! :)

Teufelsdreck 09-18-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roulin (Post 54421915)
Do you really think that's the best way to evaluate a team's drafting - by looking at wins and losses, lumping the draft in with every other factor?



Higgins-Eller-Leblanc
Chipchura-Lapierre-White

...would have been just fine as a bottom six. Timmins has drafted plenty of quality forwards.

He didn't draft Higgins and Eller was acquired in a trade.

Agnostic 09-18-2012 07:18 PM

The team IS in a rebuild.

Management isn't blasting out all it's veterans in one big clearing of the decks however fans will not recognize this team in a few years. It's happening and will continue to happen.

Roulin 09-18-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck (Post 54433787)
He didn't draft Higgins and Eller was acquired in a trade.

...a trade for a spectacular Timmins pick, Halak.

You're right, Higgins was drafted by Savard, but it still goes to show that drafting has not been a problem for the Habs. Contrary to the OP's claim, Armstrong and Prust were not signed because of Montreal's inability to draft depth forwards.

Joe Cole 09-19-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryannshabs (Post 54421017)
If there is a season, and predictably the Habs are near the bottom of the standings around the trade deadline, I suggest we rid ourselves of players like Plekanec, Gionta, etc, to contenders needing that one piece they think will get them over the hump come playoff time. This way we get more picks, prospects, to go with the decent draft we finally had this past June. Gainey and Gauthier left us in such a mess, it will take several years to rebuild this once proud franchise into a contender again.:p:


You must have a REALLY short memory. When Gainey came into this organization as a GM, the team was in a shambles. Their were issues in all departments, but the number one over riding issue is that the team lacked a legitimate steady hand at the wheel.

They could not get free agents. They could not make trades.

Gainey could be seen as having lacked a steady hand on the wheel in the later part of his time as a manager, but you also have to remember half way through his years, his daughter disappeared and was later confirmed lost at sea. His focus was off, he wanted to quit and was asked to stay. He did, and Gauthier was asked to play a larger role.

I do not think of the Gainey era as a homerun, but it beat the previous two regimes, without a shadow of a doubt.

Ozymandias 09-19-2012 03:44 PM

this thread feels the same as watching re-runs of Gilligan's island

SouthernHab 09-19-2012 10:40 PM

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1237081

Trying to pass 29 pages that the above thread generated.:D

GoHomez 09-20-2012 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernHab (Post 54461913)
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1237081

Trying to pass 29 pages that the above thread generated.:D

The only reason you posted that is because you want it BUMPEDed but doesn't want to do it yourself! :D

CrazyShea 09-20-2012 02:39 AM

If there's a full season lockout and they do the draft the same way as in 05 we are in a great position to get another lotto pick this year. Having a potential back to back top 5 pick is as close of a rebuild as you will ever see as a habs fan.

maryannshabs* 09-20-2012 09:50 AM

Finished Last
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2 Chainz (Post 54422673)
Plekanec and Gionta are two of the hardest working players in the league, these are the type of guys you want around to help your young guys progress.

I guess we could finish Last in the conference Without these players too.

Mike8 09-20-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic (Post 54433859)
The team IS in a rebuild.

Management isn't blasting out all it's veterans in one big clearing of the decks however fans will not recognize this team in a few years. It's happening and will continue to happen.

Indeed.

And, frankly, the route of 'blasting out all of its veterans' is a method reserved for fantasy leagues, IMO.

uiCk 09-20-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike8 (Post 54469151)
Indeed.

And, frankly, the route of 'blasting out all of its veterans' is a method reserved for fantasy leagues, IMO.

Yes. And in the NHL it's more like "blasting out all of the upcoming UFA's you're not so interested in for picks"
Which we did with Gill and AK, more of a sign that we currently undergoing 'tank'


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.