HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   News Article: AEG, including Kings. for sale (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1261837)

onlyalad 09-18-2012 08:14 PM

AEG, including Kings. for sale

The company that owns the Staples Center and the Los Angeles Kings announced late Tuesday it is being put up for sale, sparking a potential billion-dollar bidding war for some of the sports and entertainment world's glitziest properties.

http://www.latimes.com/business/mone...0,754304.story

Vamos Rafa 09-18-2012 08:16 PM

All I can say is "****." (F word)

AEG has grown on me in the last three years.

Ron 09-18-2012 08:20 PM

Makes financial sense...Anschutz Co. wants to get that football team into L.A., a nice profit from the AEG sale and they are good to go.

However, I think they are going to have a problem getting a buyer.

Ron 09-18-2012 08:21 PM

Actually, if I recall correctly, this rumor has been floating for a while now.

FrozenKing18 09-18-2012 08:22 PM

Not sure if good or bad

Moses Doughty 09-18-2012 08:23 PM

This is going to get interesting. He didn't meddle in team affairs, and the team could spend to the cap. Hopefully a new owners would do the same. Or he keeps the Kings because we just won ;)

kingsfan28 09-18-2012 08:24 PM

its on nbc sports now

Vamos Rafa 09-18-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron (Post 54435241)
Makes financial sense...Anschutz Co. wants to get that football team into L.A., a nice profit from the AEG sale and they are good to go.

However, I think they are going to have a problem getting a buyer.

Hopefully a Russian billionaire.

I doubt the Guggenheims would want to own both the Dodgers and the Kings (+ the Galaxy).

onlyalad 09-18-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron (Post 54435273)

one of the news stations had a comment from Villaraigosa saying that he has known for several months

KopitarFAN 09-18-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron (Post 54435273)

I remember rumors about the Kings and maybe the building, but if they're talking about the whole company, everything in NA and Europe, thats new to me at least.

kingsfan28 09-18-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grillinnap (Post 54435343)
Hopefully a Russian billionaire.

I doubt the Guggenheims would want to own both the Dodgers and the Kings (+ the Galaxy).

What's Frank McCourt up to these days?He made billions off the doyers:naughty:

Belanger25 09-18-2012 08:55 PM

Here's TFP's write up on the situation.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/lak120918a.html

bobafettish* 09-18-2012 08:55 PM

as long as the new owner has deep pockets.

Fishhead 09-18-2012 09:25 PM

Buy low, sell high, that's how it's done. The only potential concern I have with this is that DL has a great relationship with the ownership group. There has been a lot of trust built there and I want to see this continue.

I can't help but notice the timing. I wouldn't doubt that they wanted out during tougher times but stuck with it and saw it through. Honestly it was a little rough for those first years, but I'll have nothing but good feelings about AEG if they end up selling everything. They set a goal, built up the area, eventually built a great front office, and delivered. They also were fantastic with Kings alumni, and it's always great to hear how often they refer to the Kings as a family. A lot of credit for that goes to AEG. They've also turned the area around Staples into something to behold. It's went from somewhere I was hesitant to walk through at night to somewhere to take people to show off what LA is all about.

One thing, Re: Lieweke - If the sale goes through, I would imagine he's pegged to lead the quest for an NFL team. I would love to see him stay around, his passion has grown on me and I love how he's always around the players. I think it's a longshot that he moves companies to continue his role, but I would be all for it.

Quattro 09-18-2012 09:46 PM

w t f - this is not good

Ziggy Stardust 09-18-2012 09:58 PM

Anyone but Jerry Buss! I recall Sony being one of the rumored suitors that the Kings were going to be sold to prior to AEG/Majestic buying the team.

Who has deep enough pockets to purchase the entire AEG entity? He's not selling them as individual pieces (which may make the sale of the team seem more feasible). It's going to take some tycoon to purchase AEG, and I would hope it won't be the meddling type who will have his hands all over the team. The hands off approach works best. Just so long as the new owner is committed to building a winner and maintains a first class operation.

KINGS17 09-18-2012 10:33 PM

I suppose the best thing that could happen would be a big corporation like Sony buys it and promotes Dean to oversee all hockey operations, and then each guy in Dean's chain of command gets to take the next step.

Continuity will be the key for continued success.

Maybe Jerry Bruckheimer (sp?) leads a group of deep pockets and buys it?

Boba Fettuccine 09-18-2012 10:35 PM

I hope they saw Pretty Woman and learned that things are more valuable when sold in parts.

Sincerely,

The Atlanta Braves

Ziggy Stardust 09-18-2012 10:37 PM

Bruckheimer's name has come up in the past with rumors of him being interested in a stake for a potential team/arena in Las Vegas. Although he'd most likely have interest investing in the Kings, I can't see him being interested in absorbing the entire AEG entity.

AEG's entities include:

SPORTS CLUBS:
Los Angeles Kings (NHL)
Los Angeles Lakers (NBA)
Los Angeles Galaxy (MLS)
Houston Dynamo (MLS)
Manchester Monarchs (AHL)
Ontario Reign (ECHL)
Eisbären Berlin (Germany)
Hamburg Freezers (Germany)
Djurgårdens IF Hockey (Sweden)
Hammarby Fotboll (Sweden)

FACILITIES:
Staples Center (Los Angeles)
LA Live/Nokia Theatre (Los Angeles)
Home Depot Center (Carson)
O2 Arena (London)

Not to mention Regal Cinemas. Some of those are partnerships and AEG is also involved in a ton of arena management all around the globe. And the above list is just some of the entities that AEG owns or invests in.

CNS 09-18-2012 11:04 PM

This actually sucks. Anschutz let us spend to the cap and let Deano do his thing. He also let Dean make offers to all top free agents. Too bad it was Dean negotiating or we might have landed one. But meh...the cup is cool too :sarcasm:

Sydor25 09-18-2012 11:22 PM

http://www.latimes.com/business/mone...0,749032.story

Kings win the Cup. NHL locks out Kings. AEG sells Kings.

Boba Fettuccine 09-19-2012 12:08 AM

Also in the news: Dole sells for 1.7 billion. Since interest rates are so low, money is cheap right now. They pay 3% interest on something that easily generated double digit profits.

This is a major dick move on AEG's part.

Since they are selling the entire subsidiary as a package deal, the Kings are going to be the ugly duckling in the pond the giant investment firm just bought.

Look at all of those entities that my homeboy Ziggy posted. Who do you think runs thinner profit margins than the Kings?

KingLB 09-19-2012 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo (Post 54439889)
Also in the news: Dole sells for 1.7 billion. Since interest rates are so low, money is cheap right now. They pay 3% interest on something that easily generated double digit profits.

Since they are selling the entire subsidiary as a package deal, the Kings are going to be the ugly duckling in the pond the giant investment firm just bought.

Look at all of those entities that my homeboy Ziggy posted. Who do you think runs thinner profit margins than the Kings?

Out of the sports teams? You'd be surprised..Gals reportedly lost money last year as well....according to Tim. (not counting the Lakers as they are a minority owner)

Ron 09-19-2012 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo (Post 54439889)

I'm not concerned. If Bettmann is putting up road blocks for teams that are blood red like Pittsburgh, Phoenix, and Nashville, you think he's going to let a prize jewel like the Kings go? Nope.

As for the larger picture, someone who is dedicated to spend to make the team better, the Kings are already there with a solid foundation of players and cap space. They will contend for years. After that, we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

TruKingFan 09-19-2012 12:23 AM

Gee...the drama queens are already out in force screaming bloody hell and it can't be good..blah blah blah. a deal this huge is so complex and may take years to close so to cry the sky is falling at this point in time about the next owner is simply premature to say the least.