HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Last Season: Looking for some help (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1261891)

Buffalo87 09-18-2012 10:49 PM

Last Season: Looking for some help

Hey guys,

Just a bit of background real quick, I'm currently a student pursuing my masters and I've been considering writing a thesis (it's not required, but it is an option to take the place of class time). I've had some pretty lengthy discussions with different professors to try to figure out what may be a good fit. I've had a few ideas and the one that I keep coming back to and one they're encouraging me to do is a thesis on a certain aspect of hockey analytics.

Essentially, the only thing that would stand in my way from doing it at this point is the tremendous time commitment it will take in the data collection step. The project will require me re-watching each Sabres game from last season. Which brings me to my question, does anybody know where I can actually do that? Watch every single game from start to finish?

When I originally started considering this project, I had access to GameCenter so this wasn't really an issue. I don't intend on renewing GameCenter so now I need to find an alternative and I'm not sure what options are really available to re-watch old games.

Does anybody know of anywhere I could find these games archived?

Thanks!

ZZamboni 09-18-2012 10:56 PM

I thought there were websites that have done all the analytics already. Someone will know these sites, I'm not that anal about hockey stats. :laugh:

Maybe hockey reference :dunno:

I think I found one at behindthenet.ca

Buffalo87 09-18-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZZamboni (Post 54438803)
I thought there were websites that have done all the analytics already. Someone will know these sites, I'm not that anal about hockey stats. :laugh:

Maybe hockey reference :dunno:

There are certainly a lot that are up on the analytics, I'm pretty plugged into that. None that have done what I'm hoping to do as far as I have seen.

tsujimoto74 09-18-2012 11:59 PM

NHL Vault. It's not free, but you can watch every game every team played last year, and the year before, and the year before, and so on. As well as a bunch of real classic/milestone games.

jfb392 09-19-2012 03:50 AM

https://gamecenter.nhl.com/nhlgc/sec...com:vlt:vdsbnv

NHL Vault, $4.95/m.

Buffalo87 09-19-2012 07:08 AM

Awesome. Thanks guys! I saw that but wasn't sure if that was just some kind of add-on to GameCenter (where one was required for the other). Looks like that's the route I'll be taking.

brian_griffin 09-19-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffalo87 (Post 54438641)
Hey guys,

Just a bit of background real quick, I'm currently a student pursuing my masters and I've been considering writing a thesis (it's not required, but it is an option to take the place of class time). I've had some pretty lengthy discussions with different professors to try to figure out what may be a good fit. I've had a few ideas and the one that I keep coming back to and one they're encouraging me to do is a thesis on a certain aspect of hockey analytics.

Essentially, the only thing that would stand in my way from doing it at this point is the tremendous time commitment it will take in the data collection step. The project will require me re-watching each Sabres game from last season. Which brings me to my question, does anybody know where I can actually do that? Watch every single game from start to finish?

When I originally started considering this project, I had access to GameCenter so this wasn't really an issue. I don't intend on renewing GameCenter so now I need to find an alternative and I'm not sure what options are really available to re-watch old games.

Does anybody know of anywhere I could find these games archived?

Thanks!

You must REALLY want to write a thesis. Why not delay thesis / graduation until the team is better? Or at least wait to the end of a lockout-shortened season - fewer games to watch. :laugh: