HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Nazem Kadri's Role This Season (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1261977)

handyj 09-19-2012 10:01 AM

Nazem Kadri's Role This Season

Just curious what people's thoughts are about where Kadri will be playing this season (if there is a season). I mainly ask because it seems like it's time for him to get his shot full time at an NHL job, as he's performed pretty well in the AHL for two years and when he's been called up.

I'm wondering what would happen if he was to play center on the top line with Kessel and Lupul. We all know that we need a 1C, maybe we have that 1C already within the organization. It isn't as if Bozak has done anything incredible to keep his spot on that line, and I'm sure worst-case scenario Kadri puts up Bozak-type numbers.

This would also mean that we wouldn't have to try and force JVR into being a centerman, and could use him on the second line with Grabo and Kulemin. It makes sense to me to try it out, and worst case scenario you atleast see what you have in Kadri. Only problem I could foresee with that line is how horrible defensively they would be.

Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Kulemin
Frattin - Bozak - MacArthur
Brown - McClement - Lombardi

Something possibly like this. Thoughts?

Grant 09-19-2012 10:13 AM

Kadri may eventually make it to #1 center but we shouldn't be putting him there to start. Have to work your way up the roster to that kind of playing time and responsibility. I would like to see him at first get a sheltered scoring role and PP time. Hopefully he eventually takes over #1 center but I won't hold my breath because I'm not sure if he will even ever play as center consistently in the NHL.

blueNwhite89 09-19-2012 10:22 AM

i could see him playing wing with grabo and JVR.. and potentially taking bozak's spot

kamosko 09-19-2012 10:23 AM

Give him sheltered minutes for now and time in the PP, maybe on the 3rd line with whoever centres it and Kule/Mac

Grant 09-19-2012 10:29 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing

JVR - Bozak - Kessel (PP 1)
Lupul - Grabo - Kadri (PP 2)
Connolly - McClement - Kulemin

1st line should be better defensively with JVR instead of Lupul, still has that scoring power.
2nd line would be a sheltered scoring line. Those 3 could tear it up I think.
3rd line as a shutdown line. Probably our 3 best defensive players on that line. Connolly and Kulemin could still put up some points too.

Kadri if he does well enough maybe eventually replacing JVR/Bozak on the top line. Or if we run into a lot of injuries maybe get that spot by default haha. Ideally he earns his way into that role though.

Ed Belfour 09-19-2012 10:32 AM

I think he should be our #1 center eventually due to his offensive skills and creativity, but he shouldn't start there just yet.

JAMmer124 09-19-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant (Post 54443475)
I wouldn't mind seeing

JVR - Bozak - Kessel (PP 1)
Lupul - Grabo - Kadri (PP 2)

1st line should be better defensively with JVR instead of Lupul, still has that scoring power.
2nd line would be a sheltered scoring line. Those 3 could tear it up I think.
3rd line as a shutdown line. Probably our 3 best defensive players on that line. Connolly and Kulemin could still put up some points too.

Kadri if he does well enough maybe eventually replacing JVR/Bozak on the top line. Or if we run into a lot of injuries maybe get that spot by default haha. Ideally he earns his way into that role though.

Why are we splitting up one of the highest scoring duos in the league last year, replacing one of them with a guy with a career high of 40 points?

7even 09-19-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Ball Hockey (Post 54443687)
Why are we splitting up one of the highest scoring duos in the league last year, replacing one of them with a guy with a career high of 40 points?

Because our PP needs to be better defensively ;)

BonMorrison 09-19-2012 11:06 AM

He should be given the right wing role next to JVR and Grabovski.

Kulemin would be more effective in a defensive third-line role and Kadri is most effective in a scoring role. He would be given sheltered minutes and his defensive game would be improved under someone like Grabovski.

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabovski - Kadri

ForSpareParts* 09-19-2012 11:11 AM

1. Make the team
2. Stay on his skates
3. Play better defensively
4. Make a simpler play from time to time
5. Contribute offensively when playing on the 3rd line
6. Make the most of his opportunities in the shootout

ForSpareParts* 09-19-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonMorrison (Post 54444107)

Kulemin would be more effective in a defensive third-line role and Kadri is most effective in a scoring role. He would be given sheltered minutes and his defensive game would be improved under someone like Grabovski.

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabovski - Kadri

You're right. Make Mac (20 goal scorer last year) sit in the press box while Kadri finds his stride all in the name of better highlights on YouTube.

Grant 09-19-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Ball Hockey (Post 54443687)

I know, controversial splitting them up. But we haven't seen Kessel play with JVR, he could have better chemistry. Lupul and JVR could easily switch spots with what I had. But for all we know JVR will be better in that role than Lupul. Personally I'm hoping he is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForSpareParts (Post 54444305)
You're right. Make Mac (20 goal scorer last year) sit in the press box while Kadri finds his stride all in the name of better highlights on YouTube.

Said I wouldn't mind seeing didn't say it would happen ;) Anyways, injuries are bound to happen at which point MacArthur finds a spot, or somebody gets traded making room. If we expect to keep the same group of forwards all year we are dreaming.

handyj 09-19-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant (Post 54443213)
Kadri may eventually make it to #1 center but we shouldn't be putting him there to start. Have to work your way up the roster to that kind of playing time and responsibility. I would like to see him at first get a sheltered scoring role and PP time. Hopefully he eventually takes over #1 center but I won't hold my breath because I'm not sure if he will even ever play as center consistently in the NHL.

Not trying to be a smart*$$, but Bozak sure didn't "work his way up the roster". He was dropped there and has stayed there by default. Bozak longterm I don't see being a legit NHL 1/2C, only Grabo and Kadri have that skill/potential on the roster, so why not put them both there and see what happens?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonMorrison (Post 54444107)

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabovski - Kadri

This seems like a solid lineup that I'd be happy with. I still feel like Bozak needs to be upgraded at some point, but this has good skill on all lines, gives Kadri his opportunity with top six minutes, and that shutdown line would be nice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForSpareParts (Post 54444305)

:shakehead Kadri will either be a top six NHLer or a career AHLer, I don't think you're accomplishing anything by playing him in a checking line role. We'll never truly know what we have with him if he isn't given an opportunity. Nobody seems to begrudge Bozak being given top line minutes on a silver platter but then at the same time nobody wants to see Kadri get any top six time without 'earning it'. He's scored in the AHL, what else does he need to do?

Also as much as I like that Mac has been a good bargain/reclamation find for us, he has no business being in the top six on a legitimate contender. He is the status quo and isn't making the Leafs better. Atleast inserting some fresh blood and seeing what might happen might be some progress. I see Mac as the odd man out that should be dealt.

Michael Gary Scott 09-19-2012 11:58 AM

This season? Ahl 1st line center

handyj 09-19-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott (Post 54445079)
This season? Ahl 1st line center

What's the reasoning behind this? Hasn't he played top AHL minutes for two years now? Like do you believe that helps in his development or you just think he isn't going to be an NHLer?

Crispy Crust 09-19-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handyj (Post 54445633)
What's the reasoning behind this? Hasn't he played top AHL minutes for two years now? Like do you believe that helps in his development or you just think he isn't going to be an NHLer?

Lockout bro.

DaveT83* 09-19-2012 12:44 PM

Our top6 is too small to include Kadri. Blame Grabo if you want. The 2C spot is what Kadri was drafted to fill. But Grabo isn't going anywhere and he's not giving up that spot.

Kadri McClement MacA/Frattin on the 3rd

Mess 09-19-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handyj (Post 54443007)
I'm wondering what would happen if he was to play center on the top line with Kessel and Lupul. We all know that we need a 1C, maybe we have that 1C already within the organization. It isn't as if Bozak has done anything incredible to keep his spot on that line, and I'm sure worst-case scenario Kadri puts up Bozak-type numbers.

Bozak is a playmaker first and foremost, while Kadri much like Grabovski is a dangler that tries to beat people one on and stick-handle through the opposition, and better finishers themselves.

So you need a center that distributes the puck well, to play with Kessel and Lupul and at present that makes Bozak best suited for the position..

Kardi would be more suited to replace Grabovski as they're similar in style of play, and assume a 2nd line role.

Personally I'd like to see Kadri on the wing being centered by Joe Colborne and flanked by Matt Frattin on Leafs 3rd "kids" line when the season starts up again.

handyj 09-19-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mess (Post 54446353)
Bozak is a playmaker first and foremost, while Kadri much like Grabovski is a dangler that tries to beat people one on and stick-handle through the opposition, and better finishers themselves.

So you need a center that distributes the puck well, to play with Kessel and Lupul and at present that makes Bozak best suited for the position..

Kardi would be more suited to replace Grabovski as they're similar in style of play, and assume a 2nd line role.

Personally I'd like to see Kadri on the wing being centered by Joe Colborne and flanked by Matt Frattin on Leafs 3rd "kids" line when the season starts up again.

I see your point about Kadri vs. Bozak. I also think the idea of a Kadri-Colborne-Frattin line is very interesting, didn't those three have good chemistry on a line for the Marlies in the playoffs? As long as they got some reasonable playing time it might be good for them to play together and grow and not necessarily have to worry about playing against the other team's top shutdown defenders. Would also possibly give other teams a hard time defending three scoring lines.

WhiskeyBurning 09-19-2012 03:20 PM

Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Kulemin

Something possibly like this. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

That top line would be ideal.. hopefully he will be given a shot to be a C this year (if there is a season). Bozak would likely start on the first line and Kadri hopefully as a third line C.. but then if Kadri impresses, gradually move him up in the lineup. Also.. just because he's not strong defensively now doesn't mean he can't learn how to be solid defensively.. or at least defensively responsible. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch.. especially with a defensive orientated head coach. As it is right now, we aren't going to challenge in the playoffs anyway, so unless something outrageous happens, Kadri should play with the Leafs.

Jozay 09-19-2012 03:23 PM

Unless Kessel, Lupul and Kadri kill it, Kadri wont be playing on the first line.

WhiskeyBurning 09-19-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handyj (Post 54449559)
I see your point about Kadri vs. Bozak. I also think the idea of a Kadri-Colborne-Frattin line is very interesting, didn't those three have good chemistry on a line for the Marlies in the playoffs? As long as they got some reasonable playing time it might be good for them to play together and grow and not necessarily have to worry about playing against the other team's top shutdown defenders. Would also possibly give other teams a hard time defending three scoring lines.

Kadri/Colborne/Frattin sounds great, but we have guys like Lombardi and Connolly clogging up the pipes so it's probably not going to happen barring injuries.

FreeBird 09-19-2012 03:46 PM

I expect he'll do a lot of pouting over the lockout

And will be a distraction down at the Richo. He's already probably lost all the Conditioning he gained under Roberts, as he chose to bail while Super Stars like Stamkos and Seguin continued to work out into September with Gary and keep their conditioning at a top level.

7even 09-19-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBird (Post 54451049)
And will be a distraction down at the Richo. He's already probably lost all the Conditioning he gained under Roberts, as he chose to bail while Super Stars like Stamkos and Seguin continued to work out into September with Gary and keep their conditioning at a top level.

Bang on. Kadri's such a scrub. Really, I don't know why we're having this thread at all. He's such a bust he can't even work out like Super Star Tyler Seguin.

Mystifo 09-19-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handyj (Post 54443007)
Just curious what people's thoughts are about where Kadri will be playing this season (if there is a season). I mainly ask because it seems like it's time for him to get his shot full time at an NHL job, as he's performed pretty well in the AHL for two years and when he's been called up.

This would also mean that we wouldn't have to try and force JVR into being a centerman, and could use him on the second line with Grabo and Kulemin. It makes sense to me to try it out, and worst case scenario you atleast see what you have in Kadri. Only problem I could foresee with that line is how horrible defensively they would be.

Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Kulemin

Something possibly like this. Thoughts?

This season? I suspect this season he will spend it with the marlies. Not because he can't make the NHL rather that I highly doubt there will be a season this year.