HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   RFA'S & UFA'S if lost season (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1262413)

dfunk 09-20-2012 11:40 AM

RFA'S & UFA'S if lost season

IF the entire season is lost, we have 6 UFA's and 3 RFA's, so based on a season of no productivity to base a salary on:

Which would you keep around and for what price?

Which would you show the door?

RFA - Holzer, Gunnar, Kadri

UFA - Connolly, Lupul, Lombardi, MacArthur, Bozak, Steckel.

I'd keep all 3 RFA's - give Holzer the same contract, maybe a little raise. Gunnar 2-3 years at 2.5ish. Kadri, oy, i dunno. If he rips up the A then maybe a 1 or 2 year bridge contract at 1.5?

Connolly, Lombardi, Steckel and MacArthur. See ya later IMO.

Lupul hopefully gets resigned. 3 around 5 per would be what i'd hand out. If the season was played and he showed he could be healthy and still produce at the same level, I'd offer more. But if the season is lost I don't think he'd be in a position to warrant a longer deal.

Bozak I'd almost double him up and give him 3 years 9mil.

:dunno: bored at work, lockout sucks.

I Believe 09-20-2012 11:44 AM

I'd keep MacArthur around for 1 or 2 more years, I think he's good enough to keep and not that old. Worst case scenario we could always trade him for a pick.

DaveT83* 09-20-2012 11:52 AM

What about Franson? He's not even currently signed.

Lebda for Lombardi's 3.5M
Not a great trade anymore.
Shoulda just buried Brett like Nashville did.

BonMorrison 09-20-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfunk (Post 54470389)
IF the entire season is lost, we have 6 UFA's and 3 RFA's, so based on a season of no productivity to base a salary on:

I'd keep all 3 RFA's - give Holzer the same contract, maybe a little raise. Gunnar 2-3 years at 2.5ish. Kadri, oy, i dunno. If he rips up the A then maybe a 1 or 2 year bridge contract at 1.5?

Lupul hopefully gets resigned. 3 around 5 per would be what i'd hand out. If the season was played and he showed he could be healthy and still produce at the same level, I'd offer more. But if the season is lost I don't think he'd be in a position to warrant a longer deal.

I'd keep Bozak, Lupul, Kadri and Gunnarsson.

Ohio Jones 09-20-2012 12:10 PM

If the season is lost, I believe current contracts are carried forward, so guys with one year left on their deals will still have one year left when play resumes.

That said, I think we can consider the Guys you would resign to be part of the core until such time as better replacements are available, so certainly extend the three RFAs, Bozak and Lupul. The rest can walk or be resigned as spare parts as required.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER 09-20-2012 12:15 PM

In my opinion the most important UFA is Lupul based on his point production and how well he played with Kessel.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER 09-20-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohio Jones (Post 54471061)
If the season is lost, I believe current contracts are carried forward, so guys with one year left on their deals will still have one year left when play resumes.

That's incorrect because their contracts lose 1 year no matter if the 2012-2013 season happens or not.

During the 2004-2005 lockout the Leafs still had Brian Leetch signed for 1 more year, however once the season was cancelled he eventually became a UFA and signed with Boston for the 2005-2006 season.

Mess 09-20-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER (Post 54471243)
That's incorrect because their contracts lose 1 year no matter if the 2012-2013 season happens or not.

During the 2004-2005 lockout the Leafs still had Brian Leetch signed for 1 more year, however once the season was cancelled he eventually became a UFA and signed with Boston for the 2005-2006 season.

While that is what happened last time, its also not written in the CBA either as standard operating practice.

It was specially negotiated clause as an exception (addendum to the CBA) , similar to the one time % rollback/pay cut the players took, that is not guaranteed to happen again simply because it happened last time.

The reason the NHLPA agreed to it last time was that UFA age dropped significantly and so it was advantages for the group to have a year tick off their deals so they could get to UFA status earlier and benefit by recouping their previous losses by signing new contracts.

dfunk 09-20-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Believe (Post 54470489)
I'd keep MacArthur around for 1 or 2 more years, I think he's good enough to keep and not that old. Worst case scenario we could always trade him for a pick.

I don't see the point. He was a decent stop gap but I don't feel like he has a 2nd line spot anymore and he'd be too expensive to be on the 3rd.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER 09-20-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mess (Post 54471663)
While that is what happened last time, its also not written in the CBA either.

It was specially negotiated as an exception, similar to the one time % rollback/pay cut the players took.

The reason the NHLPA agreed to it last time was that UFA age dropped significantly and so it was advantages for the group to have a year tick off their deals so they could get to UFA status earlier and benefit by recouping their previous losses.

I assumed that would happen again because The Hockey News did a list of possible UFA's for 2013 and mentioned players like Alexander Semin because he only signed a 1 year contract with Carolina. Then said if the 2012-2013 season is cancelled he would once again become a UFA. They even listed Joffery Lupul because of the 1 year remaining on his contract.

ULF_55 09-20-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mess (Post 54471663)
While that is what happened last time, its also not written in the CBA either as standard operating practice.

It was specially negotiated clause as an exception (addendum to the CBA) , similar to the one time % rollback/pay cut the players took, that is not guaranteed to happen again simply because it happened last time.

The reason the NHLPA agreed to it last time was that UFA age dropped significantly and so it was advantages for the group to have a year tick off their deals so they could get to UFA status earlier and benefit by recouping their previous losses by signing new contracts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER (Post 54471747)
I assumed that would happen again because The Hockey News did a list of possible UFA's for 2013 and mentioned players like Alexander Semin because he only signed a 1 year contract with Carolinna. Then said if the 2012-2013 season is cancelled he would once again become a UFA. They even listed Joffery Lupul because of the 1 year remaining on his contract.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfunk (Post 54470389)

And this time around the owners want to take it back up, to about 10 years.

That means until we know the rules we won't know who is or is not UFA.

I don't think they'll grandfather in any players, unless they don't count the year as a year of service.

Why would it be fair to tell Kessel he has 4 more years before being UFA, but tell Getzlaf/MacArthur they fall under the expired CBA?

Mess 09-20-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER (Post 54471747)
I assumed that would happen again because The Hockey News did a list of possible UFA's for 2013 and mentioned players like Alexander Semin because he only signed a 1 year contract with Carolinna. Then said if the 2012-2013 season is cancelled he would once again become a UFA. They even listed Joffery Lupul because of the 1 year remaining on his contract.

It may happen again, but my point was that its not a guarantee, similarly when the last lockout happened they created a special 1 time only set of weighted entry draft lottery rules.. This also could change if the season is lost, and a whole new/different system used this time.

So hockey news is simply going by what we know as of now could be the case, but the odds are greater that not the whole season is lost, and then all players on last year deals would expire as normal at seasons end.

As Leaf fans we're hoping that a year ticks of the Komisarek, Connolly, Lombardi deals etc as its in our best interest. ;)