HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   News Article: Seguin will play in Switzerland (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1262587)

Alan Ryan 09-20-2012 09:58 PM

Seguin will play in Switzerland

Too bad the lockout has come to this but the young man will likely enjoy time in Europe.

Tyler Seguin is the latest Bruin -- and the latest NHL player -- to head to Europe, as the young Boston star signed with Biel of the Swiss League.

A source close to Seguin indicated that he chose Biel over an offer from the KHL that was for almost double the money, and that agent Ian Pulver had been negotiating with three different European Leagues for the 20-year-old's services. The same source indicated to CSNNE.com that Seguin could leaving for Switzerland as soon as Friday night.

http://www.csnne.com/hockey-boston-b...9&feedID=10944

Lobster57 09-20-2012 10:04 PM

Seems like a smart move on the kid's part. KHL still seems kind of shady to me.

DohBruins 09-20-2012 10:10 PM

I was hoping he would sign with Davos.

Cabin Mirror 09-20-2012 11:18 PM

Why not just wait out the lockout? He just signed a big contract so it's not like he's hard up for cash. Plus there's the injury risk.

Artemis 09-20-2012 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cabin Mirror (Post 54485443)
Why not just wait out the lockout? He just signed a big contract so it's not like he's hard up for cash. Plus there's the injury risk.

That big contract doesn't kick in until next season, but it doesn't matter anyway. He'll likely get paid comparatively little. What he needs to do is play, and who knows how long the lockout will last? As for injury, he'd be just as likely to get hurt scrimmaging with friends.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot 09-20-2012 11:49 PM

Sucks he didn't join the KHL. Would have turned a boy into a man IMO playing in the second best league in the world and meeting all the off ice challenges over there (stuff like not being able to talk to his teammates.)

Still glad he's playing somewhere but this is like him going back to Plymouth for another year.

bolt thrower 09-21-2012 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DohBruins (Post 54484329)
I was hoping he would sign with Davos.

Hell yeah, that would have been awesome since that's my team here in Switzerland. Plus he would have had Thornton and Nash to guide him. They already played in Davos the last lockout and know Switzerland very well. Especially Thornton returns there every summer to spend the training camp with Davos and he has some estates over there as well.

Artemis 09-21-2012 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe (Post 54485875)
Sucks he didn't join the KHL. Would have turned a boy into a man IMO playing in the second best league in the world and meeting all the off ice challenges over there (stuff like not being able to talk to his teammates.)

Still glad he's playing somewhere but this is like him going back to Plymouth for another year.

I'm totally relieved that Seguin isn't in a league that makes 8-hour trips on Pray-for-your-Soul Airlines.

Roll 4 Lines 09-21-2012 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cabin Mirror (Post 54485443)

Prolly just hasn't dated any Swiss girls yet! :sarcasm:

Actually, he wants to stay in shape. This way when the lock out ends (soon, I hope! :crossfing) he'll be ready to step right in.

It will be a good life experience for him as well. I'd love to play in Switzerland!

(See first line of post! ;))

Beesfan 09-21-2012 07:49 AM

At first glance, this seemed like a mistake to me, and that he should have gone to Sweden. But it seems that there are a number of NHL players going to the Swiss league, so it should be more competitive than normal.

Hopefully they play him at center. It would be a great opportunity for him to get that experience.

Artemis 09-21-2012 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beesfan (Post 54488703)
At first glance, this seemed like a mistake to me, and that he should have gone to Sweden. But it seems that there are a number of NHL players going to the Swiss league, so it should be more competitive than normal.

Hopefully they play him at center. It would be a great opportunity for him to get that experience.

At last report (on my phone and can't link, sorry), the Swedish Elite League wasn't allowing escape clauses in their contracts, which is why you're seeing so many NHLers going to Switzerland, the Czech Republic, etc.

Belenos 09-21-2012 08:17 AM

Maybe you underestimate the Swiss League a bit. I don't thinkt we are far away from the Swedish League over here. They may play a more physical game, but i think the pace is higher in Switzerland.

Seguin will arrive tomorrow and play his first game next tuesday or tomorrow in a week. (Depends on licensing from the federation. Thornton, Nash and Streit had to wait almost a week.)

Oates2Neely 09-21-2012 08:19 AM

Relieved he didnt sign in the KHL... between former KGB agents, Russian Mob, & shoddy airplanes, I'd lose sleep at nite knowing the B's brightest star was living in bizzaro world (mudder rusha)

Ratty 09-21-2012 08:57 AM

Biel

Seguin's already a part of the culture there. Google Biel, Switzerland; click on "images"; scroll down the many pictures of the town, and, lo and behold, there he is in his #19 B's sweater.

FONZIE 09-21-2012 09:33 AM

Better in the swiss league instead of the AHL where some turd will probably run him to make a name of himself.

bigcat188 09-21-2012 09:36 AM

The Swiss make good chocolate.

JoeIsAStud 09-21-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FONZIE (Post 54489973)
Better in the swiss league instead of the AHL where some turd will probably run him to make a name of himself.

Yup, I think there is more risk getting hit and injured walking around the North End after a Bruins game then there is in the Swiss league.

Good place for Seguin to end up. He'll have some fun, keep his legs fresh, work on his finishing skills, and be ready to come home and play in Boston when this idiotic lockout is over.

BubbaBoot 09-21-2012 10:12 AM

What I really want to know is....has he learned to yodel yet?

Deal Law 09-21-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oates2Neely (Post 54488967)
Relieved he didnt sign in the KHL... between former KGB agents, Russian Mob, & shoddy airplanes, I'd lose sleep at nite knowing the B's brightest star was living in bizzaro world (mudder rusha)

In KHL, league plays you!

Belenos 09-21-2012 10:34 AM

This is the city where he will play.

:)

ed bruin 09-21-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FONZIE (Post 54489973)

agree mentioned that on P Bruins thread and people argued that the Swiss league would be too soft lolol stay dreaming Seguin will become a grinder

ksp1957 09-21-2012 11:05 AM

Surprised he didn't sign with Frölunda HC of the Swedish Elitserien. Isn't it every Bruins dream to play hockey with PJ Axelsson ?:naughty:

ed bruin 09-21-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksp1957 (Post 54491567)
Surprised he didn't sign with Frölunda HC of the Swedish Elitserien. Isn't it every Bruins dream to play hockey with PJ Axelsson ?:naughty:

Dont need to go over to Sweden to play with P.J. rumor has it hes coming back to the Bruins

bolt thrower 09-21-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belenos (Post 54491023)
This is the city where he will play.

:)

Biel is a beautiful city. I try to go there several times a year but unfortunately this year I had no time. Especially summer in the city park next to the lake is awesome, plus you can take your dog there too. Something in my city you only can dream of:(

One of the most underrated cities in Switzerland.

Oates2Neely 09-21-2012 12:29 PM

Where is Soderberg playing these days?? I'd love to see Seguin centering & dishing passes to the yetti