HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Detroit Red Wings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Devellano on Bettman, owners, players aka grazing cattle (UPD: NHL fines Wings) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1262751)

Fugu 09-21-2012 12:37 PM

Devellano on Bettman, owners, players aka grazing cattle (UPD: NHL fines Wings)

http://islandsportsnews.net/componen...ings-senior-vp

Hat tip to Kukla's Korner for the link.

Geez, if a Sr VP of a team that's making money feels this way, what about the true hawks in the NHL? (I'm prepared to wipe out the year personally after reading this.)

Quote:

ISN: Jim, the common perception is that the NHL lockout is the fault of Gary Bettman. Can you shed some light on that?
"I think it should be clear up front that Gary Bettman works for the owners, not the players, and he is now entering his 20th year doing this. The owners direct him on what to do. I was at the meetings last week and I'm here to tell you when there was a call to vote for the lockout, it was 30 to NONE in favour by the owners. So I ask you Scott, why is that Gary Bettman's fault and not the owners?"

"Another reason people come down hard on him is that a lot of folks truly believe he is the driving force behind all the decisions on how owners proceed. Some of this is true, but I can tell you he is directed by 30 separate business owners who all give him advice and he has to take all of this and come back to all of them with what makes the most sense as a group. Not an easy thing to do, but he does it and does it well."

Quote:

ISN: OK moving forward, what's with all the money flying around before the lockout, when all the fans see is huge contracts to for example Sutter, Weber, Myers, Lucic? Let's take for example the offer sheet Philly proposed to Weber in the face of Nashville owner. What message are they trying to send ?
"Listen Scott, there is a hard cap in place as we all know. You can't go over that period. If Weber gets this much, then another player gets less. Now does that mean it's right for another team to do that? My answer is this: They (Philadelphia) operated within the CBA and it's totally legit to do. Having said that, I will tell you there is an unwritten rule that you don't do that, but they did, and just like everything else in life, some people are great to deal with, some aren't. If you are asking me if it's right, I would say there is, again, an unwritten rule...we all know it in the NHL, but not everyone follows it."
:speechles

Oh dear, Jimmy.

Quote:

"Each owner / team has a decision as to how they want to pay their players, as long as they are under the cap. Now Donald Fehr would have you believe by getting rid of the cap, the owners would make more money and that the sky is the limit, but trust me Scott, the owners would lose their *****. We've tried that. It doesn't work. There is just too much cost involved in running and owning a team."
"It's very complicated and way too much for the average Joe to understand, but having said that, I will tell you this: The owners can basically be viewed as the Ranch, and the players, and me included, are the cattle. The owners own the Ranch and allow the players to eat there. That's the way its always been and that the way it will be forever. And the owners simply aren't going to let a union push them around. It's not going to happen."
So much for no egos being involved......

Quote:

ISN: So what do you think is the solution?
"I'll make a suggestion Scott. Let the players take 43% and let the owners take 57%. Just reverse it from where it is now and let the owners run the rest of their business and manage their expenses. Now keep in mind this time around it's not just revenue sharing that is the issue. There are many, many more components at play here, from entry level contracts, years of service, insurance, etc. I mean a whole bucket load of disputes that are just as important for the owners to need to get a fair deal done."
"Yes, they are billionaires. Good on them, they deserve it, but they also make their employees millionaires. Not a bad trade off for a guy like Lucic getting what, 6 million dollars a year? I mean good on him too, but he should be grateful. Understand though that these players want for nothing...its first class this, first class that, meal allowances, travel money on the road, the whole shebang. Offer sheets don't hurt the players one bit."

I cannot see how you get any more hardline about it.

Epsilon 09-21-2012 12:39 PM

The NHLPA should probably be looking into a collusion investigation with respect to restricted free agency based off those comments.

Fugu 09-21-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epsilon (Post 54493553)
The NHLPA should probably be looking into a collusion investigation with respect to restricted free agency based off those comments.

I copied your post over to the Wings board, along with my thread, as it may be of interest to the locals.

The Zetterberg Era 09-21-2012 02:57 PM

A lot of us at least regulars around here I have noticed already posted in the business board on this.

In any event the two big issues over there are the collusion angle and just how bad this is in terms of a quick lockout.

I think the collusion angle is near impossible, this is an unwritten rule and people break it. Also the players would have to openly talk about how often they are approached and offer sheets they outright turn down. Also collusion can only really be proved when it succeeds, so the Weber contract, Vanek contract and Penner contract suggest while the Wings are against this other teams are exploring it.

What I do find interesting is the player contract length angle especially in terms of what the Wings are thinking. It explains why Jimmy Howard and Valterri Filppula remain without contracts. The Wings didn't view their status as emergency UFA, they don't think they are going to be. The outside issues of just the money divide which it is clear Jimmy D thinks will go the owners way, are really important to the Wings.

The players are in big trouble, the owners have bent probably about as far as they are going to from reading these comments. This is a very bad sign that hockey is coming soon.

hockeyisforeveryone 09-21-2012 03:24 PM

Too complex for the average Joe to understand? Players are the cattle at the ranch??
Man Jimmy D sounds like a real fogy. Doesn't he know there's such thing as an internet and places like HF Boards that allow 15 year old's to read business comments and news until the break of dawn?

RedWings19405 I agree this doesn't seem positive at all in hopes of an agreement. When the players hear these statements....:rant:

Flowah 09-21-2012 03:32 PM

The cattle/ranch analogy works for me.

But instead of seeing it just as owners "letting" the cattle eat at the ranch, it should be clear that a ranch with no cattle is pretty meh. After all, that's the ranch's business. Dealing in cattle.

opivy 09-21-2012 04:59 PM

Well it's countryside where the cattle can choose which ranch they'd like to be branded.

The analogy doesn't hold water, too simplified.

Harnessed in Slums 09-21-2012 05:37 PM

The Wings always spout the company line. It's kind of funny that there is belief that the league has it in for them when the team completely backs the league when it comes to situations like this.

chances14 09-21-2012 05:40 PM

i think this proves once and for all to all the doubters out there that there is in fact an unwritten rule about offer sheets

icKx 09-21-2012 05:41 PM

What a terrible, retrograde analogy and attitude.

Lost a bit of respect for that man.

The Zetterberg Era 09-21-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chances14 (Post 54499433)
i think this proves once and for all to all the doubters out there that there is in fact an unwritten rule about offer sheets

This isn't exactly the first time the Wings brass has said it. Burke has been on record about the practice as well.

SoupNazi 09-21-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedWings19405 (Post 54499717)
This isn't exactly the first time the Wings brass has said it. Burke has been on record about the practice as well.

Yeah, most of the NHL has said this at one point or another.

sarcastro 09-21-2012 08:53 PM

I think Jimmy Devellano, Gary Bettman, Jeremy Jacobs, Craig Leipold, Bill Daly, and Ed Snider should lace 'em up and put a team out on the ice. They could charge 50 cents a head for admission and see how many people they can get to pay to watch them play.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-byUpQ1vCH6...hing-I-Own.jpg

Syckle78 09-22-2012 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epsilon (Post 54493553)

Yup, Ive always felt the way GMs approach restricted free agency was a form of collusion. Now their is proof of it. What a dumb ass for making those comments.

Syckle78 09-22-2012 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flowah (Post 54497195)
The cattle/ranch analogy works for me.

But instead of seeing it just as owners "letting" the cattle eat at the ranch, it should be clear that a ranch with no cattle is pretty meh. After all, that's the ranch's business. Dealing in cattle.

Agreed. A lot of people talk about players as merely employees and fail to either understand or flat out disregard they are also the product,

RedWingsNow* 09-22-2012 01:12 AM

Jimmy D is one of the most overrated dinkbags in the NHL.

What exactly does he do to earn his check these days? Besides being counterproductive in the media?

SoupNazi 09-22-2012 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Bob (Post 54506219)
Jimmy D is one of the most overrated dinkbags in the NHL.

What exactly does he do to earn his check these days? Besides being counterproductive in the media?

Tell us how you really feel, Bob...

GuloGulo 09-22-2012 10:33 AM

Wow, Jimmy D took a puck to the head?
Guess a boss is a boss whether on the mill, the shop, the office or the pro hockey team hq.

The ranch analogy? Absurd. In Jimmy's wild west world there are only ranches and cattle, but no wranglers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Bob (Post 54506219)

Whatever his day to day routine is, its in moments of conflict you know his true purpose. And what he says is self-explanative.

joe89 09-22-2012 10:43 AM

This is good for lulz.

Fugu 09-22-2012 11:50 AM

NHL fines Red Wings.

Do you think it was $1 MM Bettman said would be the fine to teams who talk out of turn?

Brick Top 09-22-2012 12:27 PM

Glad to see that the league fined the Wings for Jimmy D's dumb comments. It's not like they're spending $$ on salaries right now anyway.

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/sta...44339003432960

Bettman and Daly had to be thinking "are you ****ing kidding me?" after hearing those comments. I'm sure that Devellano was sharing the sentiments of many in the ownership posse, and that isn't going to help bring the league and players come together. Certainly won't help the league as they try to get fans on their side in the lockout.

RedWingsNow* 09-22-2012 12:30 PM

So if CSKA was willing to pay Pavel some serious coin, I wonder if Pavel hears this "cattle comment" and never comes back to Detroit.

Also wonder if this comment by Jimmy D is something that because a rallying point among players. Win or lose, if it does, and this lockout is nasty, this comment could lower the stature of the Red Wings in the eyes of players.

It's entirely possible that Jimmy D's comments were coordinated by the league.
Let's have a franchise come out and and make a statement that will make the players quake in their skates... Oh, and let's amplify the effect by making the messenger Detroit, a team that's typically regarded as player-friendly...

Brick Top 09-22-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Bob (Post 54511517)
So if CSKA was willing to pay Pavel some serious coin, I wonder if Pavel hears this "cattle comment" and never comes back to Detroit.

Also wonder if this comment by Jimmy D is something that because a rallying point among players. Win or lose, if it does, and this lockout is nasty, this comment could lower the stature of the Red Wings in the eyes of players.

It's entirely possible that Jimmy D's comments were coordinated by the league.
Let's have a franchise come out and and make a statement that will make the players quake in their skates... Oh, and let's amplify the effect by making the messenger Detroit, a team that's typically regarded as player-friendly...

Mel Gibson in Conspiracy Theory would probably think that's a stretch, but at the same time, this is the worst-run pro sports league around, so there's a chance you're right. If Devellano was speaking for the league's position, we're not seeing hockey this year.

RedWingsNow* 09-22-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turkish (Post 54511591)
Mel Gibson in Conspiracy Theory would probably think that's a stretch, but at the same time, this is the worst-run pro sports league around, so there's a chance you're right. If Devellano was speaking for the league's position, we're not seeing hockey this year.

Well, my friend, just about everything in a negotiation like this is conspiracy - by definition.

WingedWheel1987 09-22-2012 02:37 PM

Wings always carried themselves as moderates IMO. I was surprised to see such anti player remarks from jimmy D and the wings organization. If the wings are this hardcore.......imagine other organizations. This lockout is going to cost the NHL another season.