HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   WHL Report: 2012-2013 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1262965)

The Nuge 09-22-2012 01:13 AM

WHL Report: 2012-2013

Well, I just got back from the Giant's opener and don't really see anywhere to discuss players, so figured I'd start a thread like the OHL one. Anyways, my thoughts on a few guys.

Musil - First time watching him live and I can't for the life of me figure out why he was ever compared to Plante or why most people rate him so low. He had to have played close to 30 minutes and was an absolute force in both ends. Very calm with the puck and never gives up on the play. He was easily the best player on either team tonight, and by a large margin.

Kulak - Holy crap is he bad. To balance out Musil, he was by far the worst player tonight. The best comparison I can think of for the way he played today is a less physical, less offensive, lazy, J-Bo. He scored a nice goal, but when you create 3 for the other team, it's kind of a moot point at best. I actually hope he turns into an NHLer because the kid line will light him up in the BoA.

Hodges - Was on fire and the majority of the Giants couldn't even come close to containing him. Kinda reminds me of Brayden Schenn. Could be a steal for Florida. I didn't notice him again after his goal though (I think he might have been sat to give others a chance since they were starting to pull away) and has a bit of a temper.

Most other players had fairly average games. A few, like Franson, stood out here and there, but nothing much.

I am the Liquor 09-22-2012 01:16 AM

How did the Royals look?

Are they improved over last year?

The Nuge 09-22-2012 01:50 AM

I didn't watch them enough last year(and nothing live) to really say if they're better or not unfortunately, but based on their record last year, I'd assume so. I can say though, that they played a game very similar to Phoenix in that they were badly outshot by Vancouver, but they actually had more scoring chances because they played patient, defensive hockey and waited for a mistake (usually by Kulak) and capitalized on them. I think they ended up with only like 17 shots, yet it was 6-4 (one of which was an empty netter). They're definitely a team I can see doing well come playoff time

I am the Liquor 09-22-2012 01:52 AM

Do you have season tickets or just go when you can?

The Nuge 09-22-2012 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am the Liquor (Post 54506647)
Do you have season tickets or just go when you can?

I'm just going to go to as many as I can. I'm not sure about my schedule and unless you go to every game, season tickets aren't really any cheaper than getting their mini packs (which allow you to go to whatever games you want)

I am the Liquor 09-22-2012 02:09 AM

Look forward to hearing some more reports of WC games.

I too think Musil is underrated on this board.

tv14 09-22-2012 02:28 AM

My viewings from the Hurricanes game on a couple of draft eligible Canes:

Axel Blomqvist F: HUGE 6'6" import forward picked this year by the Hurricanes, joins his brother (Albin) who played on the team last year. Despite his size, Axel uses his huge stride and has very good skating. Has soft hands and good offensive instincts. Could get more gritty and be stronger on the puck. But all in all, after one viewing, I was very impressed by him and definitely see the potential.

Jamal Watson F: Amazing speed, probably one of the fastest players on the ice. Despite not being huge, is fiesty and gets in the dirty areas. Had a goal by using his speed and driving the dman wide and crashing the net. Really like this kid. Kind of reminds me of Brule.

Other draft eligible players include Macoy Erkamps a smooth moblie puck moving dman. Really like his game, although his offensive side can lead to defensive break-downs. Jay Merkley is another player to watch, offensive forward who has the potential to put up big numbers this year.

Wish I would have payed closer attention to Shinkaruk on the Tigers, but honestly without going into the game watching him, I didn't even notice him stand out.

puckfan13 09-22-2012 03:16 AM

I think this can turn into a really good thread. I hope people keep posting impressions of games they went to all over the Dub. Know we have Oilers fans all over Western Canada - keep pouring it on, guys!

Bryanbryoil 09-22-2012 04:14 AM

Thanks for the report. What did Musil's offensive game consist of? How was his skating? I would assume that he was one of if not the strongest player on the ice, fair assumption?

notloilersfan 09-22-2012 09:43 AM

Great to hear on Musil, and glad we have this up since I have no source for whl games. Wonder if we have anyone in here who can cover the Q?

Bryanbryoil 09-22-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notloilersfan (Post 54509007)
Great to hear on Musil, and glad we have this up since I have no source for whl games. Wonder if we have anyone in here who can cover the Q?

That's the hope, I'm hoping that someone grabs the bull by the horns like the OP's of the OHL and WHL threads did.

Pointteen 09-22-2012 01:50 PM

If I still lived in Halifax I could've tried. Its too bad.
Fredericton doesn't have anything except for university teams.

The Nuge 09-22-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil (Post 54507263)
Thanks for the report. What did Musil's offensive game consist of? How was his skating? I would assume that he was one of if not the strongest player on the ice, fair assumption?

The best comparison I could give would be a stronger, but less physical (hitting) Smid.

His offense is also a lot like Smid. You can tell he's certainly not going to be another Karlsson/Green, but he isn't completely lost either and he can make a fairly accurate breakout pass, but it's not that hard and tends to flutter a bit. His shooting needs a bit of work to get better at getting the shot through, but he can cycle the puck well, and had a decent slap shot the time he had more room to get it through.

His skating is actually what surprised me the most as that's what I read his weakness was, but he has a very fluid stride and it just looks natural. He doesn't have the same explosiveness of Hall or Yakupov, but he has decent top end speed, is very agile, and thinks the game well enough that he never gets beat 1 on 1.

He was definitely one of the strongest players (Victoria also had a couple big dmen), and he won a lot of puck battles simply by being stronger than the other guy.

Bryanbryoil 09-22-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Nuge (Post 54514359)
The best comparison I could give would be a stronger, but less physical (hitting) Smid.

His offense is also a lot like Smid. You can tell he's certainly not going to be another Karlsson/Green, but he isn't completely lost either and he can make a fairly accurate breakout pass, but it's not that hard and tends to flutter a bit. His shooting needs a bit of work to get better at getting the shot through, but he can cycle the puck well, and had a decent slap shot the time he had more room to get it through.

His skating is actually what surprised me the most as that's what I read his weakness was, but he has a very fluid stride and it just looks natural. He doesn't have the same explosiveness of Hall or Yakupov, but he has decent top end speed, is very agile, and thinks the game well enough that he never gets beat 1 on 1.

He was definitely one of the strongest players (Victoria also had a couple big dmen), and he won a lot of puck battles simply by being stronger than the other guy.

Thanks for the response, hopefully he can add a bit more physicality as from what I've seen of him the kid is man strong already. It's very promising to hear that his skating looks decent. As for his breakouts that is definitely something that he will have to work on before he transitions to the next level. I'm not sure where he'll fit in long term, but it's nice to hear that he's making strides.

I am the Liquor 09-22-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil (Post 54515613)
Thanks for the response, hopefully he can add a bit more physicality as from what I've seen of him the kid is man strong already. It's very promising to hear that his skating looks decent. As for his breakouts that is definitely something that he will have to work on before he transitions to the next level. I'm not sure where he'll fit in long term, but it's nice to hear that he's making strides.

He is a shutdown dman.

He is very good in that role.

He will never be an offensive dman.

Groucho 09-22-2012 04:36 PM

I was really impressed with Musil's WJC performance for the Czechs last christmas and I can't understand why so many posters here knock his skating and generally underrate him.

Bryanbryoil 09-22-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am the Liquor (Post 54515693)
He is a shutdown dman.

He is very good in that role.

He will never be an offensive dman.

As long as he's good at that and can get the puck out of our zone crisply, that is still a valuable player for our team going forward.

CupofOil 09-22-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Nuge (Post 54506247)

Musil - First time watching him live and I can't for the life of me figure out why he was ever compared to Plante or why most people rate him so low. He had to have played close to 30 minutes and was an absolute force in both ends. Very calm with the puck and never gives up on the play. He was easily the best player on either team tonight, and by a large margin.

Thanks for the report.

That's good to hear about Musil.
I think that he is easily our most underrated prospect. For instance, i like him better than the Slovak twin towers while most here like the Slovaks more.

CupofOil 09-22-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil (Post 54515613)

He doesn't need to be an offensive defenseman. He's a physical, shutdown guy and we don't have too many physical, shutdown guys so he'll fit in just fine long term, i don't see why not.

Fourier 09-23-2012 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CupofOil (Post 54522057)
Thanks for the report.

That's good to hear about Musil.
I think that he is easily our most underrated prospect. For instance, i like him better than the Slovak twin towers while most here like the Slovaks more.

They are different type of prospects though. I think Musil looks like a guy who is as close to a lock as an NHL'er as most prospect defensemen are going to get. But his lack of offense means that his upside as far as star potential is really limited.

From the Oilers perspective, I think he a valuable prospect because they will need a steady stream of new guys stepping into various roles as the team matures. If he becomes another Smid-like defenseman that certainly will not hurt.

Gernat is the polar opposite. He has tremendous offensive instincts and if he ever fills out he has the size that many offensive dmen lack. But he is much more of a longshot to convert his skills into an NHL career than Musil is I suspect.

Marincin is somewhere between the two. He has the potential to be a very good two-way defenseman and as such his maximum upside exceeds that of Musil, while his all round game right now makes him more likely than Gernat to be an NHL'er.

The Nuge 09-29-2012 12:37 AM

Just got home from the Giants game. More of the same from Musil. Had another assist and a couple huge hits to go along with his stellar defensive play.

Blake Orban had a very solid game as well. He's definitely not an offensive dman, but he can hit, he can fight, and he was their second best dman tonight after Musil, and broke up a lot of good chances.

Ryan Murray started out very poorly. He has clearly been told he needs to produce more and nearly got burned a couple times. He was very good in the last 2 periods though and had an absolutely beautiful assist. The one thing I really noticed about him, is I didn't realize just how crisp his passes are on TV. Everything was a laser tape to tape.

Finally, Anthony Ast is one to watch. He's a very skilled player who, IMO, is set to breakout. He is very small at 5'8, but is shifty enough that he can get away with it. At least, at a lower level that is...

The Head Crusher 09-29-2012 12:55 AM

Matt Dumba will return tomorrow after serving his 2 game suspension for a hit to the head against Calgary.

Video of the hit here:

http://www.rebelsthisweek.com/?p=383

I am the Liquor 09-29-2012 01:11 AM

Damn. Maybe we should be calling Dumba "The Head Crusher"?

The Nuge 09-30-2012 09:40 PM

Saw a new side from Musil today. Valcourt (who's certainly not small at 6'2, 205 lbs) was trying to start something and kept getting his hands up in Musil's face. Musil finally snapped and just rag dolled him and then the refs stepped in.

I was very impressed by Holmberg. He's not the kind of player that goes out and dominates every shift, but he has flashes of brilliance and absolutely roofed one on Fuhr from in tight

Bryanbryoil 09-30-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Nuge (Post 54686537)
Saw a new side from Musil today. Valcourt (who's certainly not small at 6'2, 205 lbs) was trying to start something and kept getting his hands up in Musil's face. Musil finally snapped and just rag dolled him and then the refs stepped in.

I was very impressed by Holmberg. He's not the kind of player that goes out and dominates every shift, but he has flashes of brilliance and absolutely roofed one on Fuhr from in tight

I remember watching video clips from him either before or just after we drafted him, and the thing that stood out to me was that he was man strong at 18. We could use guys like that when we have to deal with beasts like Landeskog on opposing teams.