HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Once again Offers for Jason Smith (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=126353)

s7ark 01-28-2005 12:33 PM

Once again Offers for Jason Smith

Given Smith's recent comments about the Oilers owners not being willing to keep the high priced talent in Edmonton, he has annoyed this Oiler fan for the last time. That being said he is still a great hockey player that can be top 2 on some teams, top 3 on most teams and top 4 on all. He is a physical crease clearer that sacrifices the body and plays hurt all the time. He is the captain of the Oilers and is a heart and soul guy.

What offers would be made for the services of Smith?

bennysflyers16 01-28-2005 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s7ark
Given Smith's recent comments about the Oilers owners not being willing to keep the high priced talent in Edmonton, he has annoyed this Oiler fan for the last time. That being said he is still a great hockey player that can be top 2 on some teams, top 3 on most teams and top 4 on all. He is a physical crease clearer that sacrifices the body and plays hurt all the time. He is the captain of the Oilers and is a heart and soul guy.

What offers would be made for the services of Smith?

R.J. Umberger ?????

A young center, who will be able to play next year for sure. I know the Oilers are looking for some center help. What you think ???

s7ark 01-28-2005 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16
R.J. Umberger ?????

A young center, who will be able to play next year for sure. I know the Oilers are looking for some center help. What you think ???

From what I know he is talented but a bit of a headcase. Didn't he pick philly to play with? I don't like his chances of resigning with the Oilers if he wouldn't with Vancouver or New York... But nice offer in terms of talent.

MmmBacon 01-28-2005 12:58 PM

I like the Oilers, but do you ever wonder why so many players leave there on bad terms? This post is Exhibit A.

When your captain gets run out of town for making a few mildly inflammatory comments during a lockout, you've got to wonder what kind of crap they have to put up with on a regular basis. There must not be much else for fans to do in Edmonton during the winter.

Darth Milbury 01-28-2005 01:00 PM

He should have very solid trade value right now. If there is a salary rollback, that will put is contract into a very reasonable area.

Love to see him on the Island, but the match is not there. Oilers should be looking for a good young center, and Isles don't have that to give (and, please, lets not go back to that silly Janne N for Smith stuff).

s7ark 01-28-2005 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MmmBacon
I like the Oilers, but do you ever wonder why so many players leave there on bad terms? This post is Exhibit A.

When your captain gets run out of town for making a few mildly inflammatory comments during a lockout, you've got to wonder what kind of crap they have to put up with on a regular basis. There must not be much else for fans to do in Edmonton during the winter.

It isn't just that. He is approaching UFA age and isn't likely to be the difference between a cup and no cup on the Oilers. But he could be a big part for another team close to the cup and we could get something nice back for him. I like Smith, he has been a hell of a player for us, but I think it is time to move him. His value is high right now and that is my primary motive. The comments were more of a spark to get it all going then the entire reason.

s7ark 01-28-2005 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
He should have very solid trade value right now. If there is a salary rollback, that will put is contract into a very reasonable area.

Love to see him on the Island, but the match is not there. Oilers should be looking for a good young center, and Isles don't have that to give (and, please, lets not go back to that silly Janne N for Smith stuff).

LOL, don't worry Darth, you and I have been over that idea far too many times. I do agree that he would fit in nicely on the Island though.

saba 01-28-2005 01:11 PM

Ondrej Nemec
excllent 4-5 defensive prospect
Shane Endicott
At best he could develop into a decent second line center. Remember he has some good scoring touch.
The main drawback is his skating

PGH 4th round pic 2005

bennysflyers16 01-28-2005 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s7ark
From what I know he is talented but a bit of a headcase. Didn't he pick philly to play with? I don't like his chances of resigning with the Oilers if he wouldn't with Vancouver or New York... But nice offer in terms of talent.

How about Handzuz for Smith and a pick. Just a thought, You need a good 2nd line center, We need a physical D' Man, plus we have tons of center prospects.

HuskyFlames 01-28-2005 01:13 PM

A trade based around Briere for Smith.

Buffalo has the following centers:
Briere
Hecht (NHL lists him as center and Buffalo website as LW)
Drury
Roy

This free up icetime for Roy and Venk. They can move Hecht to center if he played LW and have Vanek mroe icetime. Plus Drury and Hecht are capable of a 1-2 center punch. It also adds stability to the Sabres defense after losing Warrener. Plus if Conolly comes back, the center depth is even stronger again.

Now for salaries:
Briere - 2.55 million
Smith - 2.6 million

Even the salaries are on par with each other.

Thoughts?

s7ark 01-28-2005 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saba
Ondrej Nemec
excllent 4-5 defensive prospect
Shane Endicott
At best he could develop into a decent second line center. Remember he has some good scoring touch.
The main drawback is his skating

PGH 4th round pic 2005

Ouch. sorry man, this is pretty bad. A top 2/3 d-man for a 4/5 guy and a possible 2nd line C? Not worth it. We have 4/5 guys and 2nd line Cs. Depth guys are of little use to the Oilers, lol, most of our team/prospects are depth guys.

oil slick 01-28-2005 01:16 PM

Quote:

How about Handzuz for Smith and a pick. Just a thought, You need a good 2nd line center, We need a physical D' Man, plus we have tons of center prospects.

I'd do that so fast your head would spin :) .

Verbal Kint* 01-28-2005 01:18 PM

Ian White and a Third Round pick from the Leafs.

or if you're willing to take a chance with his health...

Mogilny plus a 4th for Smith (though really, doesn't solve the salary issues).

LadyByngJeanRatelle 01-28-2005 01:18 PM

Quote:

I would not get rid of Handzus if I were Philadelphia.....and this is coming from a Leaf fan. (No wait, yes trade Handzus :) )

s7ark 01-28-2005 01:19 PM

Wow, both the Briere and Handzus ideas are intriguing.

For Handzus it would have to be a good pick, likely a 2nd/3rd. Very solid offer though!

Briere I have always been a fan of as well.

Both solid offers.

Master Lok 01-28-2005 01:22 PM

I would do the Handzus plus pick for Smith. A good trade for both teams in answering need.

I like the value in Briere, a very good centre, but K.Lowe is reluctant to have the top two centres be "small". York is already a small centre, I can see him passing on Briere for just that reason. Otherwise, a good suggestion value wise.

bennysflyers16 01-28-2005 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyByngJeanRatelle
I would not get rid of Handzus if I were Philadelphia.....and this is coming from a Leaf fan. (No wait, yes trade Handzus :) )

I love Handzus, But with all our young centers, Carter, Richards, Sharp, Umberger, and Primeau ( Not Young ) someone is going to be moved. I know Handzus would be too much for Smith, but who else would Philly trade. ( Not Carter or Richards )
Plus Smith is just what Philly needs ! My post was just an idea that adresses both teams needs !

HuskyFlames 01-28-2005 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neogeo69

I like the value in Briere, a very good centre, but K.Lowe is reluctant to have the top two centres be "small". York is already a small centre, I can see him passing on Briere for just that reason. Otherwise, a good suggestion value wise.

I don't know if size is all that important when you look at the Oilers game. Its mostly about speed and Briere fills that very nicely. Briere is also more offensively inclined to take a top center spot over Handzus. There are quite a few centers that are quite good that range from 5'10"-5'11".

Sakic, Gomez, Datsyuk, Briere, Morrison, Arnason, Koivu, Drury, Langkow, Savard, Yzerman. Those are all centers according to NHL.com in the top 30 centers from last year point wise. 11/30 of the centers are under 6' and Briere was 11 best overall at center.

I don't think Hadzus skating would fit in with the Oilers. He is also big but not really physical with relation to his size. Plus, I believe Briere has experience playing with a few oilers from team Canada tournaments.

misfit 01-28-2005 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neogeo69
I would do the Handzus plus pick for Smith. A good trade for both teams in answering need.

With Briere, you could move York to the wing to avoid that issue somewhat

Smyth - Horcoff - York
Torres - Briere - Dvorak
Moreau - Reasoner - Hemsky
Isbister - Stoll - Pisani/Laraque

Handzus is probably a better fit in Edmonton though. He's a MacT wet dream.

Jamie 01-28-2005 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Milbury

How about Smith for Kvasha?

Peter Griffin 01-28-2005 01:48 PM

I'd love to see Smith with the Canucks, but I doubt Vancouver could afford to put together a package that would entice the Oilers to trade their captain to a close rival.

Jamie 01-28-2005 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
I'd love to see Smith with the Canucks, but I doubt Vancouver could afford to put together a package that would entice the Oilers to trade their captain to a close rival.

Smith, Hemsky and ???
for Sedins?

I may be alone here, but as an Oiler fan, I'd love to see the Sedins in Edmonton.

Seph 01-28-2005 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie

I've thought about that trade numerous times, but ultimately just don't think Kvasha has the value to pull in a Smith. But it's not a halfbad starting place, as Kvasha could fill the Oil's need for a 2nd line center, or even a top line center. He's not a true 1st line center at this stage, but last year's 51 points would've put him second in scoring on the Oil, only behind Smyth. And of course, the Isles need to round out their 2 way defensive group with a stay at home physical crease clearer and Smith fits that bill admirably. Not to mention, who knows what the Isles top 4 will look like with Aucoin and Hamrlik very possibly gone whenever the NHL starts again.

Perhaps Kvasha + 3rd for Smith?

I don't see the Isles offering more than that, and in the end predict that Smith could bring in greater value if shopped. But the Oil and the Isles have done a number of deals in the past, so it's possible.

Ensane 01-28-2005 02:01 PM

Aside from the fact that he's already been there and they have too many NHL capable defenseman as it is, for some reason I keep seeing him as a great fit in the system in Jersey.

Perhaps something along the lines of Smith and a 2nd/3rd for David Hale?

CREW99AW 01-28-2005 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie

how many yr's on Smith's contract 2 or 3?