HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Carolina Hurricanes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Who are the PP D-Men this year? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1263615)

KaraLupin 09-23-2012 11:14 PM

Who are the PP D-Men this year?

Who are gonna be the big 2 guys on the PP?

Faulk and Joni?

Faulk and Mcbain?

Novacane 09-23-2012 11:37 PM

I'd say Corvo and Pitkanen on the first pairing and Faulk and McBain on the second pairing. I feel like they brought in Corvo to have Faulk focus more on the defensive side of the game, so it would be a huge WTF signing if Corvo was put on the 2nd pairing, imo.

Or I may be completely off base with that assessment and they actually brought in Corvo for what they called his "familiarity with Gleason", in which case I'm scared thinking they want to give Corvo that many mpg.

tarheelhockey 09-24-2012 12:09 AM

^ That makes sense, but it puts two RHD on the second pairing. That doesn't work well.

Possibly they could have a forward play the point instead of Faulk?

Novacane 09-24-2012 12:13 AM

Maybe Harrison instead of Faulk? Or maybe a forward like you said.

tarheelhockey 09-24-2012 12:19 AM

Harrison was ok on the PP last year. I could see that happening if he keeps working on that slap shot.

Chrispy 09-24-2012 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Novacane (Post 54545943)
I'd say Corvo and Pitkanen on the first pairing and Faulk and McBain on the second pairing. I feel like they brought in Corvo to have Faulk focus more on the defensive side of the game, so it would be a huge WTF signing if Corvo was put on the 2nd pairing, imo.

Or I may be completely off base with that assessment and they actually brought in Corvo for what they called his "familiarity with Gleason", in which case I'm scared thinking they want to give Corvo that many mpg.

Wasn't Pitkanen-Corvo a PP disaster the last time we tried it? It seems like it makes perfect sense, but for whatever reason those two didn't click.

In which case, I think we'd see Pitkanen-Faulk and McBain-Corvo. Still two RH on the second unit, but I think that makes more sense than leaving McBain, Corvo, or Faulk off the PP.

Quacktastic 09-24-2012 11:28 AM

I feel like McBain-Pitkanen and Faulk-Harrison would make sense because those pairs played a lot together at even strength last year, so they should already have a little chemistry. Pitkanen and McBain are pretty good puck movers, so they would probably be a better fit for a first unit of Semin-EStaal-Jokinen/Tlusty/whoever to enable them to have more chances down low or from the side wall, or possibly create some one timers from the slot. Then on the second unit we could put some big bodies in front of the net like a line of Skinner-JStaal-Ruutu where Faulk and Harrison just try to get the puck on net and the forwards either screen the goalie, or fight for rebounds.

Carolinas Identity 09-24-2012 12:27 PM

S11//S12//Semin
Corvo//Pitkänen

Tlusty//Jokinen//Skinner
McBain//Ruutu

Thoughts?

Anton Dubinchuk 09-24-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen (Post 54553639)
S11//S12//Semin
Corvo//Pitkänen

Tlusty//Jokinen//Skinner
McBain//Ruutu

Thoughts?

No.

What part of Ruutu's game suggests to you that he'd be a good powerplay QB, if you don't mind me asking?

Listen everyone, I get the whole "two same-handed pointmen can't be on the same pairing," I really do. But JR is on record as saying that Faulk's like the best teenage defenseman he's ever seen. If they really are willing to not play one of Pitkanen, McBain, Corvo, or Faulk simply based on handedness, what in the world makes you think Faulk's gonna be the odd man out? Two months ago weren't we basically talking about Corvo being the 7th defenseman?

Prediction: We have basically three point pairings on the powerplay:

Pitkanen - Faulk
Pitkanen - McBain
Pitkanen - Corvo

While I wouldn't say our D is good this year, I definitely think it's a little better, and I think that means we can reduce Pitkanen's even strength minutes to let him play basically the entire PP.

(On an off note, Sanguinetti being a righty certainly doesn't help his chances of making this team...)

Novacane 09-24-2012 02:50 PM

I was too tired to realize this last night, and haven't followed the call-up/send down list enough to notice that I left Murphy off the list. I guess it's assumed/fact(?) at this point without training camp that he'll spend next year in Kitchener?

tarheelhockey 09-24-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk (Post 54554581)
(On an off note, Sanguinetti being a righty certainly doesn't help his chances of making this team...)

Kind of ironic, really. When we acquired him we were desperate for a righty. With Faulk on the team and Murphy in the oven, there's really not a place for Sangs anymore. Maybe he'll get some injury callups, but IMO he's not a future full-time NHL'er here or elsewhere.

Caniac125330 09-29-2012 03:28 PM

E Staal-J Staal-Semin
Faulk-Corvo

Skinner-Jokinen-Ruutu
Mcbain-Pitkanen