HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Winnipeg Jets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Speculation: Winnipeg Jets 2013 Draft Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1263973)

Paradise 09-24-2012 09:00 PM

Winnipeg Jets 2013 Draft Talk

This is just hypothetical if there's no season this year, but the Jets could have great odds at winning the draft lottery. If the NHL followed the same concept as they did in 2005, Winnipeg would be 1 of 7 teams that would have 3 balls in the lottery.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1244645

The formula back in 2005 was that each team received 3 balls i the lottery. Each team lost 1 ball for every playoff or #1 overall pick in the previous 4 years of play. The least amount of balls a team could have was 1, no matter how many playoff appearances or #1 picks they received during the 4 years prior. Using this formula we would have the max of 3 balls. So there is some possible good to not playing this season for us Jets fans. I would still prefer to resume hockey this year, but it's not a bad consolation prize.

Just thought I'd bring up a new topic, since the lack of an NHL season has been a long 1 for most of us rabid fans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield
2013 NHL Entry Draft Picks
Round Picks
1WPG
2WPG, CHI, 59th
3WPG, CHI
4WPG
5WPG
6WPG
7WPG

garret9 09-24-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paradise (Post 54565833)
This is just hypothetical if there's no season this year, but the Jets could have great odds at winning the draft lottery. If the NHL followed the same concept as they did in 2005, Winnipeg and Toronto would be the only 2 teams that would have 3 balls in the lottery.

The formula back in 2005 was that each team received 3 balls i the lottery. Each team lost 1 ball for every playoff or #1 overall pick in the previous 4 years of play. The least amount of balls a team could have was 1, no matter how many playoff appearances or #1 picks they received during the 4 years prior. Using this formula we would have the max of 3 balls (along with Toronto). So there is some possible good to not playing this season for us Jets fans. I would still prefer to resume hockey this year, but it's not a bad consolation prize.

Just thought I'd bring up a new topic, since the lack of an NHL season has been a long 1 for most of us rabid fans.

CBJ would have multiples because they also have 2 other teams first picks.

On the mainboard they actually broke down the odds and a few times ran some simulations.

EpicGingy 09-24-2012 09:04 PM

That'd be pretty cool, but I would rather have a pick in the 9-14 range with hockey than no hockey at all.

TroubaFan1 09-24-2012 09:05 PM

Would love to see the Jets get the first overall pick. But like you said I think I would prefer if we had a season this year.

King Woodballs 09-24-2012 09:11 PM

So we might not have to mail it in for mackinnon after all

Paradise 09-24-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garret9 (Post 54565929)

On the mainboard they actually broke down the odds and a few times ran some simulations.

Ya, I forgot about that on the main boards.

Jets 09-24-2012 09:51 PM

Honestly, if we won the draft lottery, we would win the cup in the next 3 years. Kane, Scheif and MacKinnon would be our top unit, with Ladd Little Wheeler 2nd line and Burmi Telegin and Mach/Sutter/Klinger as the third line... that would be cup quality depth.

Then throw in Bogo-Enstrom, Buff-Trouba, Stuart-Postma/Redmond/Sol and we're golden.

Deadly.

Reed Solomon 09-24-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garret9 (Post 54565929)

Edmonton is going to get first pick again.

I'd LOL.

Daddy Longlegs 09-24-2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EpicGingy (Post 54565969)
That'd be pretty cool, but I would rather have a pick in the 9-14 range with hockey than no hockey at all.

What if we did end up picking in the 9-14 range? Who would people like to get that could very possibly be available in that range?

Assuming the top 3 will be Mackinnon, Jones, Monahan. From there it can likely go many different ways. I'd cross my fingers for Aleksander Barkov. Touted as being a man-child center with great vision and soft hands.

Edit:in retrospect, there's no way Barkov is even available at 9 spot. I'd go Druin if available. Next choice would. Be Fucale.

Hammer Slammer 09-24-2012 11:34 PM

Anyone have a link to the thread(s) on the main board? I wouldn't mind taking a look at the mock stuff.

garret9 09-24-2012 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer (Post 54570591)
Anyone have a link to the thread(s) on the main board? I wouldn't mind taking a look at the mock stuff.

Stuff regarding if the lockout draft this year is the same as the last one:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1244645

2013 Rankings:
NHL Central Scouting Preliminary North American Rankings: http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=83207
NHL Central Scouting Preliminary European Rankings: http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=83210
TSN Pre-Season Rankings: http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9600
Hockey Prospectus Top 30 http://www.puckprospectus.com/articl...articleid=1385

JetsHomer 09-24-2012 11:55 PM

This draft is like redicilously deep. Top 7 picks are all blue chip elite player prospects.

Mackinnon, Jones, Barkov, Monahan, Shinkaruk, Lazer, Droin. All are such good prospects.

If there is a lockout, I'm glad we get a shot at some of these guys. If we play the full season I'd think we'd end up 10-20. Still some good players, and I'd rather watch the Jets make a playoff push than getting one more prospect.

Huffer 09-25-2012 08:53 AM

I thought that on the main thread that there were like 6 or 7 teams that had the max 3 balls?

Holden Caulfield 09-25-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying High (Post 54571019)
This draft is like redicilously deep. Top 7 picks are all blue chip elite player prospects.

Mackinnon, Jones, Barkov, Monahan, Shinkaruk, Lazer, Droin. All are such good prospects.

If there is a lockout, I'm glad we get a shot at some of these guys. If we play the full season I'd think we'd end up 10-20. Still some good players, and I'd rather watch the Jets make a playoff push than getting one more prospect.

They all start off like that...I bet at least one guy who is nowhere near (ie not ranked top 50) ends up top 5 by the end of the season, and at least one of those names you listed ends up drafted below 20th, probably even out of the first round...so much happens in a draft year.

Grind 09-25-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield (Post 54574753)
They all start off like that...I bet at least one guy who is nowhere near (ie not ranked top 50) ends up top 5 by the end of the season, and at least one of those names you listed ends up drafted below 20th, probably even out of the first round...so much happens in a draft year.

no kidding. Who was the guy this year? was projected as like an early firstrounder at the start of the year/end of the year prior and literally went last overall..

pretty jaded on the "next years soo deep!" mentality, it seems "next year" is always better then "this year".

Which is why i wasn't totally surprised at the run on Dmen this last draft when even with that mentality, last year they were saying this year (2012) was weak on forwards.

will be interesting to see if 2013 really does pan out the way they say it will..../

garret9 09-25-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grind (Post 54574949)
no kidding. Who was the guy this year? was projected as like an early firstrounder at the start of the year/end of the year prior and literally went last overall..

pretty jaded on the "next years soo deep!" mentality, it seems "next year" is always better then "this year".

Which is why i wasn't totally surprised at the run on Dmen this last draft when even with that mentality, last year they were saying this year (2012) was weak on forwards.

will be interesting to see if 2013 really does pan out the way they say it will..../

Not the guy you're talking about but I saw some mock drafts (not hfboards but actual tsn/etc) had Kosmachuk going first round in the last 3 picks or so.
There's always mass movement.

SCP Guy 09-25-2012 01:47 PM

K Im now fully behind killing the season :laugh:

Grind 09-25-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garret9 (Post 54575117)
Not the guy you're talking about but I saw some mock drafts (not hfboards but actual tsn/etc) had Kosmachuk going first round in the last 3 picks or so.
There's always mass movement.

Nick Ebert...wasn't he very highly ranked a year or two before his draft?

Paradise 09-25-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grind (Post 54580377)
Nick Ebert...wasn't he very highly ranked a year or two before his draft?

He was ranked a top 5 pick at the beginning of last year. By the end of the year he was the last pick in the draft by the L.A Kings.

Paradise 09-25-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffer (Post 54574625)
I thought that on the main thread that there were like 6 or 7 teams that had the max 3 balls?

I stand corrected. I kinda made this thread because it's been a slow off season and should have provided better info in the first place. Now that it's up let's chat about the possibilities:)

garret9 09-25-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paradise (Post 54582225)
I stand corrected. I kinda made this thread because it's been a slow off season and should have provided better info in the first place. Now that it's up let's chat about the possibilities:)

McKinnon please (for now)!!!

Kane-Scheifele-McKinnon
Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Telegin-Burmistrov-Klingberg
Cormier/Lowry-Sutter/Olsen-Brassard/Kosmachuk

Trouba-Bogosian
Enstrom-Byfuglien
TBD-Postma
Melchiori/Yuen-Redmond

*order of d by TOI not offensive duties under Noel's system*
*obviously some line mixing could happen, just wanted to show depth*

Paradise 09-25-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garret9 (Post 54583259)
McKinnon please (for now)!!!

Kane-Scheifele-McKinnon
Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Telegin-Burmistrov-Klingberg
Cormier/Lowry-Sutter/Olsen-Brassard/Kosmachuk

Trouba-Bogosian
Enstrom-Byfuglien
TBD-Postma
Melchiori/Yuen-Redmond

*order of d by TOI not offensive duties under Noel's system*
*obviously some line mixing could happen, just wanted to show depth*

Nathan MacKinnon would be great! I'd personally be happy with a lot of other players if we don't win the lottery either. Just to name a few. Seth Jones looks like a stud (could be the best d-man prospect since Pronger), Sean Monahan, Aleksander Barkov, Curtis Lazar, or Hunter Shinkaruk. My preference would be to draft a forward, but I'm not sure I'd pass on Jones if he excels like he should.

EpicGingy 09-25-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daddy Longlegs (Post 54570403)
What if we did end up picking in the 9-14 range? Who would people like to get that could very possibly be available in that range?

Assuming the top 3 will be Mackinnon, Jones, Monahan. From there it can likely go many different ways. I'd cross my fingers for Aleksander Barkov. Touted as being a man-child center with great vision and soft hands.

Edit:in retrospect, there's no way Barkov is even available at 9 spot. I'd go Druin if available. Next choice would. Be Fucale.

In all honesty I don't pay very much attention to prospects before they're on either the Habs or Jets, unless it's somebody highly touted (such as Taylor Hall, or Tavares).

All I know is this draft is supposed to be really deep, and I trust Chevy and company to make a good choice.

Daddy Longlegs 09-25-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paradise (Post 54584201)
Nathan MacKinnon would be great! I'd personally be happy with a lot of other players if we don't win the lottery either. Just to name a few. Seth Jones looks like a stud (could be the best d-man prospect since Pronger), Sean Monahan, Aleksander Barkov, Curtis Lazar, or Hunter Shinkaruk. My preference would be to draft a forward, but I'm not sure I'd pass on Jones if he excels like he should.

If we happen to be faced with picking second, and Mackinnon goes first, I'd be okay with picking Jones even though a forward is what we really need. We'd be even deeper on the blue line, but could then seriously shop Byfuglien for a solid forward prospect. Perhaps Matt Duchene (had to slip that in there).

OR! If we wind up with second pick, we could trade down a spot or two, pick up an extra second or two, pick Monahan or Barkov, then trade 2 or 3 of our seconds for a top 15 first rounder. That's sounds like a better option to me.

But hey, who really cares. If we end up picking second, it would be pretty hard for every jets fan not to be ecstatic no matter what shakes out from there.

Who wouldn't love Mackinnon though.

DespoticNewt 09-25-2012 07:19 PM

I'd be chuffed if either Mackinnon or Jones landed in our lap. A top 4 of Bogo - Jones Enstrom - Buff sounds positively sexy to me. If we landed Jones, we'd likely see him on our blue line before we saw Trouba. >_>