HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Olver (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=126500)

jessimanrules 01-29-2005 07:15 AM

Olver

Just goes to show you how worthless some scouting reports are. I read this kid wasn't a great skater and needed to work on his skating. I watched him last night and he was like the fastest player on the ice. I thought he looked kind of small out there but he's still young enough to bulk up the next couple years.

Montoya stinks this year. Did he forget how to play goal? Or is it he just doesn't care about playing in college anymore?

Jackson Ranger 01-29-2005 07:28 AM

You forgot to add that the announcers were stating Olver was the "fastest" player on the Northern Michigan team. And I agree, he did look small.

As for Montoya, I am not impressed with him at all. I've seen him in a number of NCAA games as well as the the Jr. tournament last month. To me, this seems like a waste of a pick so far. I think he needs some serious coaching.

jessimanrules 01-29-2005 07:31 AM

I watched him last year and he was great. He looked excited. He should have never gone back to college. He should have taken less money and gone to Hartford

Prucha73 01-29-2005 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessimanrules
Just goes to show you how worthless some scouting reports are. I read this kid wasn't a great skater and needed to work on his skating. I watched him last night and he was like the fastest player on the ice. I thought he looked kind of small out there but he's still young enough to bulk up the next couple years.

Montoya stinks this year. Did he forget how to play goal? Or is it he just doesn't care about playing in college anymore?

I don't remember anything about Olver being in need of improving skating. Maybe you are thinking of Dawes or some other prospect? I liked what I saw from Olver. But I am not very happy with Montoya, I think Cory Schneider will be much better.

jessimanrules 01-29-2005 07:46 AM

I think that I read that in the hockey news about him. I know that I saw it a couple places. There is usually somebody who rips a players skating unless he's insane at skating.

True Blue 01-29-2005 08:00 AM

Quote:

I watched him last year and he was great. He looked excited. He should have never gone back to college. He should have taken less money and gone to Hartford

Not that I am after you, but you really should get your fact straight. Montoya wanted to go to Hartford. It was Maloney that wanted him to return to college. That is first of all. Second of all, yes Montoya is not having a great year, but the quality of Michigan defense when compared to last year is atrocious.

jessimanrules 01-29-2005 08:03 AM

Are your facts straight? From what I remembered it was all about money. Plain and simple. Maloney didn't want him to go back to college at first. It was only after they couldn't settle on money he went back. Unless all that money talk meant nothing and with athletes when is that the case.

jessimanrules 01-29-2005 08:08 AM

Thinking about it. I never heard Maloney one time say he wanted Montoya to go back. I remember Montoya wanted big money for him to sign. I also remember his mother was a huge factor in his decision. I don't remember Maloney saying, "Hey. I want you to go back to college."

True Blue 01-29-2005 08:33 AM

Quote:

Thinking about it. I never heard Maloney one time say he wanted Montoya to go back. I remember Montoya wanted big money for him to sign. I also remember his mother was a huge factor in his decision. I don't remember Maloney saying, "Hey. I want you to go back to college."

Come on, dude. Ok, fine you literally never heard those words. If that is the standard by which you wish to judge the quality of your post, then fine. Otherwise, you would be wise to remember that Monotya did not want to go back, but the Rangers wanted for him to go back to college, instead of going pro. Money was not the issue.

Bluenote13 01-29-2005 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger
As for Montoya, I am not impressed with him at all. I've seen him in a number of NCAA games as well as the the Jr. tournament last month. To me, this seems like a waste of a pick so far. I think he needs some serious coaching.

:shakehead

Jackson Ranger 01-29-2005 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13
:shakehead

Come on Bluenote, I'm not saying the sky is falling. I just haven't been impressed with the kid.

His balance is horrible and his side to side movement is shaky. He is a great stickhandler and loves to roam. Other than than, I don't see much.

Can the kid make it, sure, and I am hoping for that but I see a long road ahead for him from the 8 to 10 times I've seen him this year.

Bluenote13 01-29-2005 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger
Come on Bluenote, I'm not saying the sky is falling. I just haven't been impressed with the kid.

His balance is horrible and his side to side movement is shaky. He is a great stickhandler and loves to roam. Other than than, I don't see much.

Can the kid make it, sure, and I am hoping for that but I see a long road ahead for him from the 8 to 10 times I've seen him this year.

I expect better than that from you Jackson ;)

One years doesn't make anyone a star, or a failure. Last year the kid was a worldbeater, this year he's struggled. This is not uncommon for a young goalie.

This year might end up being his worst, performance wise. But then that also could be the best thing for him at this point.

Fish 01-29-2005 11:35 AM

I think perhaps you're getting Olver's scouting report mixed up with Dubinsky's. I've never read anywhere that Olver's skating needed improving...

Prucha73 01-29-2005 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue
Not that I am after you, but you really should get your fact straight. Montoya wanted to go to Hartford. It was Maloney that wanted him to return to college. That is first of all. Second of all, yes Montoya is not having a great year, but the quality of Michigan defense when compared to last year is atrocious.

It was the other way around, Montoya wanted to go back to College because his mommy wanted him to get good education. And I think Rangers did not want to give him the rookie max, thank god. Hopefully we trade him soon while he still has any value.

NYRangers 01-29-2005 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish
I think perhaps you're getting Olver's scouting report mixed up with Dubinsky's. I've never read anywhere that Olver's skating needed improving...

Same. I've only seen him three times I believe and it seems to me that his whole game is solid skating and playmaking. His style reminded me of Doug Weight.

Levitate 01-29-2005 06:01 PM

i get the feeling montoya just really isn't into playing in college this year...maybe he thought he wanted to go back for whatever reasons but just isn't as into it this year.

but i don't think he's a poor goaltender

Choice 01-29-2005 06:08 PM

maybe he's enjoying college for reasons other than hockey

True Blue 01-29-2005 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prucha73
Hopefully we trade him soon while he still has any value.

That right there sumarizes you perfectly. Now you know why no one takes you seriously. By the way, how's the conspiracy theory going? Still think we're all out to get you?

"It was the other way around, Montoya wanted to go back to College because his mommy wanted him to get good education."

Try again. For whatever his mom wanted, Montoya wanted to turn pro. It was the Rangers decision that he go back to college.

Jackson Ranger 01-29-2005 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13
I expect better than that from you Jackson ;)

One years doesn't make anyone a star, or a failure. Last year the kid was a worldbeater, this year he's struggled. This is not uncommon for a young goalie.

This year might end up being his worst, performance wise. But then that also could be the best thing for him at this point.

I agree with this 100%. I guess I'm waiting for that first glimmer of hope for me though.

jessimanrules 01-29-2005 07:56 PM

"Try again. For whatever his mom wanted, Montoya wanted to turn pro. It was the Rangers decision that he go back to college."

I think both are wrong. I read some old articles and it seem he wanted to win a title in college and wanted to go back. Who the hell knows. If they gave him enough money like all athletes his mind probably would have been changed.

bmoak 01-29-2005 08:31 PM

Why is a thread title OLVER being used by SOME PEOPLE as a referendum on Montoya?

Olver looked great last night. Good wheels and good on-ice vision. If he had some snipers on hils line to feed, he's score a lot more points.

SpaceGhost79 01-29-2005 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prucha73
It was the other way around, Montoya wanted to go back to College because his mommy wanted him to get good education. And I think Rangers did not want to give him the rookie max, thank god. Hopefully we trade him soon while he still has any value.

Yeah, because a 19 year old kid who has an off season has no chance whatsoever of improving. He might as well hang up the skates and call it a career :shakehead

And yeah, his mom wanted him to get an education, but ultimately it was Al's decision, and he consulted everyone from family and friends to teammates, coaches, NHL players, the Rangers management, and his advisor. She did not make it for him, though I find it amusing that some folks still think she did.

Back on topic, Olver had a very good game last night. But tonight it was the opposite. NMU's offense disappeared again, which has been their problem all season. Through two periods Michigan was outshooting NMU 23-7 (Wolverines won 3-1). I'd like to see a little more scoring out of Olver. He came to NMU as a pretty high profile forward, but only has 6 goals (though a team-high 24 points) this season. The Wildcats have been a strong defensive team this year, but offensively only averaging about 2.5 goals/game. They need him to step up.

Kovy274Hart 01-29-2005 11:26 PM

I thought Olver looked pretty good. He's small but so what. He's very fast and seems to have a good idea out there.

As for Al, I am skeptical right now about him. There's no way they would have selected him if Blackburn didn't get hurt.

RangerBoy 01-30-2005 07:29 AM

Yeah Al Montoya sucks :help:

He bounced back with a solid game last night against Northern Michigan including some key stops late in third period when Northern Michigan had a two man advantage for nearly 2 full minutes with Michigan holding their 3-1 lead

NewYorkStranger 01-30-2005 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue
That right there sumarizes you perfectly. Now you know why no one takes you seriously. By the way, how's the conspiracy theory going? Still think we're all out to get you?

"It was the other way around, Montoya wanted to go back to College because his mommy wanted him to get good education."

Try again. For whatever his mom wanted, Montoya wanted to turn pro. It was the Rangers decision that he go back to college.

http://insidecollegehockey.com/7Arch...ntoya_0247.htm

“I talked with my family and close friends of mine and when it came down to it, my heart wasn’t fully into going professional. It definitely was there with staying at Michigan,” Montoya told Inside College Hockey. “This is the year for our team and I can develop just as well at Michigan as anywhere else.”

Hope this puts the silly bickering to rest ...