HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Our Centers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1265059)

stokes84 09-28-2012 11:59 AM

Our Centers

Edit: Sorry for the presentation. I was hoping this would be more of a comparison of our pipeline vs. Other teams, rather than a discussion about the trade idea.

In debating with someone on the trade board about a Tyler Myers for Jason Spezza trade, I began to think about our young pipeline of centers. My argument was, why would we trade 7 years of Myers for 2 years of Spezza when we have the up and coming centers in our pipeline. In the coming years, we can have 3-4 potential top centers with Myers setup to be a long term no. 1 dman.

My point is, even though we might see some growing pains if we play this season, are we setup to have the strongest group of centers in the NHL in the near future? Do you think we have the strongest group of young centers in the league with Ennis, Hodgson, Grigorenko and Girgensons?

1972 09-28-2012 12:11 PM

I probably wouldn't make that trade because of the age difference and the fact that Myers is locked up for his prime at 5.5.

Also our centres are looking promising and would prefer to let them develop, I think Hodgson is capable of becoming a 1 centre the future. Grigorenko and Ennis both have the potential to be aswell.

Also their are a good number of teams at centre ice than buffalo in the future,

tsujimoto74 09-28-2012 12:51 PM

We arguably have 4 centers with top line potential. We have zero defenders with anything even close to Myers' potential.

haseoke39 09-28-2012 01:17 PM

Yeah, you probably have to wait on this group. I wouldn't trade Myers for many centers around the league, and the exceptions are those that are just as young and more proven than he is.

OkimLom 09-28-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stokes84 (Post 54637409)
Edit: Sorry for the presentation. I was hoping this would be more of a comparison of our pipeline vs. Other teams, rather than a discussion about the trade idea.

In debating with someone on the trade board about a Tyler Myers for Jason Spezza trade, I began to think about our young pipeline of centers. My argument was, why would we trade 7 years of Myers for 2 years of Spezza when we have the up and coming centers in our pipeline. In the coming years, we can have 3-4 potential top centers with Myers setup to be a long term no. 1 dman.

My point is, even though we might see some growing pains if we play this season, are we setup to have the strongest group of centers in the NHL in the near future? Do you think we have the strongest group of young centers in the league with Ennis, Hodgson, Grigorenko and Girgensons?

I like out Depth at center right now. We have Potentially 3 #1 Centers with a solid #2-#3 center with Girgensens. Then we have some solid center depth to fight for that #3-#4 spot. The same problem that we have with our defense(a ton of Quality dmen) is the same problem with our centers. I think Buffalo's next goal should be to get some quality Wingers in the system. Of course, you can use some of those Centers and change them into Wingers better than Wingers into centers.

Stop Winnin 09-28-2012 06:10 PM

I don't like Spezza at all, so I wouldn't do the deal.

Dreakon 09-28-2012 06:36 PM

If NHL 13 has taught me anything.

Our Centers... suck at faceoffs.

HogtownSabresfan 09-28-2012 07:47 PM

Based on this year, if it ever happens, we suck at centre. There's nothing there. Nothing. Hodgson, 25 games of Ennis. Rookies. We could have some great depth in few years but not this year. I think Hecht makes team, if healthy. Not joking.

DJN21 09-28-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan (Post 54647085)
Based on this year, if it ever happens, we suck at centre. There's nothing there. Nothing. Hodgson, 25 games of Ennis. Rookies. We could have some great depth in few years but not this year. I think Hecht makes team, if healthy. Not joking.

the scary thing is ive said the same all offseason unless we commit to Ott as a center not a winger or go back to the Leino at center experiment

Taro Tsujimoto 09-28-2012 09:05 PM

FWIW:

Quote:

Spoke with Cody Hodgson who said this is as good as he's ever physically felt. Best offseason he's ever had. Eager to get going.
https://twitter.com/CraigCustance/st...51338940194816

Rob Paxon 09-28-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taro Tsujimoto (Post 54648503)

I think Hodgson will be one of those players who most benefit from some time in a loaded AHL

Superhero 10-06-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kishire (Post 54645355)
I don't like Spezza at all, so I wouldn't do the deal.

Griorenko is a similar player as Spezza

Stop Winnin 10-06-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superhero (Post 54807183)
Griorenko is a similar player as Spezza

I meant his personality, obviously he is a supremely skilled player and if Grigorenko turns out to be 75% of Spezza, I would be ecstatic. :)

Also, I wouldn't want to trade Myers for him either.

Blitz 10-08-2012 07:36 PM

There is a very short list of centremen that I would deal striaght-up for Myers and Jason Spezza is not on it. Giroux, Crosby/Malkin, Stamkos, or Kopitar are the only possibilities I would even bat an eye at presently.