HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Detroit Red Wings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Brunner Signing (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1265343)

The Nose 09-28-2012 11:01 PM

Brunner Signing

I've been thinking about the signing of Brunner and the possible lines for the upcoming season (if there is one). The more and more I think about it, the more I feel that Brunner was a bad signing:

Brunner is basically guaranteed a top-six spot by Babcock, so I'm having trouble finding a spot for Nyquist. I don't want Nyquist to spend another year in GRR but I don't expect KH to cut anyone, so there really isn't any room for him. Judging from the reports and videos I have watched/read on Brunner, I don't expect him to be anything special. Nyquist has the potential to be something special but Brunner is taking his spot on the club, so I don't like the signing.

You guys might have different feelings about Brunner & Nyquist's ability/potential, so I was wondering what you thought of the signing.

Was Damien Brunner a good or bad signing?

jaster 09-28-2012 11:08 PM

Babcock implied that Brunner would be given a shot in the top-6 in camp and the preseason. I've seen nothing to indicate that Brunner is guaranteed a top-6 spot for the season, so I don't think he is taking Nyquist's spot. I've been following Nyquist since his freshman year in Orono, I'm a really big fan of his, and I have faith that he'll carve an appropriate spot onto the team, whether there is an obstacle like Brunner in front of him or not.

That all aside, it's probably a moot point. I don't think there will be a season, and so Brunner will likely never play for Detroit anyway. And even if he does sign again for a year, there will be more roster openings for 2013-14 anyway.

Harnessed in Slums 09-28-2012 11:39 PM

Good signing, he is going to tear **** up in Grand Rapids this season. :naughty:

sully61 09-28-2012 11:55 PM

If I'm Kenny or Mike, I do what it takes to win. If brunner is better than Nyquist, I play Brunner

RedWingsNow* 09-29-2012 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sully61 (Post 54650795)
If I'm Kenny or Mike, I do what it takes to win. If brunner is better than Nyquist, I play Brunner

Shortsighted.

Big Poppa Puck 09-29-2012 12:54 AM

Not much risk involved so I say good regardless.

Z40 09-29-2012 01:12 AM

I'll let you know after he has played a full season for us.

Melbourne Ice 09-29-2012 08:51 AM

How can you know at this point?

Shoalzie 09-29-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fabricoh (Post 54650639)
Good signing, he is going to tear **** up in Grand Rapids this season. :naughty:

Not during the lockout...he signed with his old club Zug. His notable teammates include former Oiler goalie Jussi Markkanen, Linus Omark and Raphael Diaz (lockout deal).

jroc86 09-29-2012 09:51 AM

Good signing. Low risk that could prove a pretty quick and noticable return. WC isnt the NHL playoffs but Brunner managed to be an impact player every game over there. If Tampa or someone else snagged him and he throw up 40-60 points this year we'd all by burying Holland for not getting him. Nyquist will get his opportunities.

Harnessed in Slums 09-29-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoalzie (Post 54653955)
Not during the lockout...he signed with his old club Zug. His notable teammates include former Oiler goalie Jussi Markkanen, Linus Omark and Raphael Diaz (lockout deal).

Yeah, I just think there's a good shot he ends up in GR when all is said and done. We have way too many forwards and far too few spots in the lineup.

MBauer 09-29-2012 03:26 PM

low risk for possible high reward, so it's a good signing. 5 point game for Brunner today for zug.

Nyquist 09-29-2012 03:31 PM

He hasn't even played yet and two people already think it's a bad signing lmao. At this point there's no way you can say it's a bad signing. He's young and has potential to be a top six player this year. Babcock said he'll give him opportunities to be a top six player, not that his spot there is guaranteed. If there's a season and he plays bad, then call it a bad signing. As of right now, it's a great signing.

joe89 09-29-2012 03:34 PM

How could it possibly be bad? Anytime you can get your hands on a "prospect"(ELC, at least) without using a draft pick it's a chance worth taking.

pdd 09-29-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe89 (Post 54659953)
How could it possibly be bad? Anytime you can get your hands on a "prospect"(ELC, at least) without using a draft pick it's a chance worth taking.

Because it's part of what led to getting rid of a proven 50+ point scorer who is only slightly older and has strong chemistry with the team's top forwards. Yeah I know, here come the "blah blah, eva posting about Hudler again" responses. But do you think Hudler is gone if Brunner isn't signed, even WITH the Samuelsson signing? If any one of Sammy, Bert, or Brunner doesn't sign, Hudler is still a Wing. And he's easily more valuable than any of those three.

That said, I'd have rather swapped out Bert for Brunner than not signed Brunner; giving Bert the "two-year, too much" extension at the time he got it was ridiculous, especially given that Helm, Abs, and Hudler were not being worked with (at least not seriously). WTF Kenny?

Frk It 09-29-2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eva unit zero (Post 54660359)
Because it's part of what led to getting rid of a proven 50+ point scorer who is only slightly older and has strong chemistry with the team's top forwards. Yeah I know, here come the "blah blah, eva posting about Hudler again" responses. But do you think Hudler is gone if Brunner isn't signed, even WITH the Samuelsson signing? If any one of Sammy, Bert, or Brunner doesn't sign, Hudler is still a Wing. And he's easily more valuable than any of those three.

That said, I'd have rather swapped out Bert for Brunner than not signed Brunner; giving Bert the "two-year, too much" extension at the time he got it was ridiculous, especially given that Helm, Abs, and Hudler were not being worked with (at least not seriously). WTF Kenny?

Hudler was going to go regardless, you gotta let that one go.

Nyquist 09-29-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

He's only had two fifty point seasons and one was four years ago. I'm actually a fan of Hudler, but I don't think the Brunner signing had any effect on Hudler leaving.

RedWingsNow* 09-29-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Datsyuk Dangles (Post 54659923)
He hasn't even played yet and two people already think it's a bad signing lmao. At this point there's no way you can say it's a bad signing. He's young and has potential to be a top six player this year. Babcock said he'll give him opportunities to be a top six player, not that his spot there is guaranteed. If there's a season and he plays bad, then call it a bad signing. As of right now, it's a great signing.

How many people have said it's a bad signing.

I'm for the Brunner signing, if you don't sign Sammy.

I'm against the Brunner signing if you sign Sammy and it means Nyquist gets stuck in the AHL.

So really, this is kind of dumb question that can't be answered "Yes" or "No" at this point, in my book.

Nyquist 09-29-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Bob (Post 54661455)
How many people have said it's a bad signing.

I'm for the Brunner signing, if you don't sign Sammy.

I'm against the Brunner signing if you sign Sammy and it means Nyquist gets stuck in the AHL.

So really, this is kind of dumb question that can't be answered "Yes" or "No" at this point, in my book.

Two have voted Brunner was a bad signing so far. If Nyquist ends up in Grand Rapids I will be unbelievably ****ed, but until that happens (and I don't think it will) you can't blame Brunner for it. It's a hard question to give a firm answer on because he hasn't played for us yet obviously. Maybe a question more like this would be better: If you were the GM, would you have signed Damien Brunner?

RedWingsNow* 09-29-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Datsyuk Dangles (Post 54661509)
Two have voted Brunner was a bad signing so far. If Nyquist ends up in Grand Rapids I will be unbelievably ****ed, but until that happens (and I don't think it will) you can't blame Brunner for it. It's a hard question to give a firm answer on because he hasn't played for us yet obviously. Maybe a question more like this would be better: If you were the GM, would you have signed Damien Brunner?

And for me, the answer is probably no.
Not with Nyquist and Tatar ready to go.

Now, neither of those guys are right-handed. ...

IMO, if it was up to me, our lineup would have looked like this, next year.

Nyquist Datsyuk Semin
Filppula Zetterberg Franzen
Bertuzzi Helm Cleary
Tatar Abdelkader Mursak

So, as much as I like the idea of Brunner and Tootoo... No, I don't think I would have signed them.
Then again, i wouldn't have brought back Bertuzzi, either... So you could pencil in a line of Cleary Helm Tootoo

Nyquist Datsyuk Semin
Cleary Helm Tootoo
Tatar Abdelkader Mursak

Basically, three rookie forwards... would be kind of rough at times... But this is the kind of thing we need to do... Instead...

It's quite likely we have zero rookie forwards except Brunner.

Nyquist 09-29-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Bob (Post 54661703)
And for me, the answer is probably no.
Not with Nyquist and Tatar ready to go.

Now, neither of those guys are right-handed. ...

IMO, if it was up to me, our lineup would have looked like this, next year.

Nyquist Datsyuk Semin
Bertuzzi Helm Cleary
Tatar Abdelkader Mursak

So, as much as I like the idea of Brunner and Tootoo... No, I don't think I would have signed them.
Then again, i wouldn't have brought back Bertuzzi, either... So you could pencil in a line of Cleary Helm Tootoo

Nyquist Datsyuk Semin
Cleary Helm Tootoo
Tatar Abdelkader Mursak

Basically, three rookie forwards... would be kind of rough at times... But this is the kind of thing we need to do... Instead...

It's quite likely we have zero rookie forwards except Brunner.

Even if we only have Brunner, doesn't that mean he outplayed Nyquist? Wouldn't that be a successful signing then? I mean unless both of them suck, Brunner outplaying Nyquist would hopefully solve our top six void left by Hudler.

SoupNazi 09-29-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Hudler was gone no matter what. Let Hudler go already.

SoupNazi 09-29-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melbourne Ice (Post 54653549)
How can you know at this point?

You can't.

RedWingsNow* 09-29-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Datsyuk Dangles (Post 54661943)
Even if we only have Brunner, doesn't that mean he outplayed Nyquist? Wouldn't that be a successful signing then? I mean unless both of them suck, Brunner outplaying Nyquist would hopefully solve our top six void left by Hudler.

At some points, you give your spot to the rookie and give him a chance to keep it or lose it.

Bench 09-29-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupNazi (Post 54662237)
Hudler was gone no matter what. Let Hudler go already.

Cue theme to Titanic.