HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Hockey advice (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1265931)

Branden 09-30-2012 09:41 PM

Hockey advice
 
Hello , I'm a 15 year old High School Freshman looking to play hockey again after a long time away from playing. I played hockey for 6 years until I was 10 years old and I stopped playing because of monetary reasons. I am looking into playing hockey for my high school in the near future. My high school is a Division III Massachusetts school so I am not looking to play in a high caliber level, but I need to get back in playing shape. I'm very slender for my age. I am 5'5 , and 85 lbs . I am 15.5% body fat which is in the average spectrum. My problem is I need to work out and build muscle mass. I am looking for advice for off ice training to help get back into the sport. I am obviously going to sit this year out because in my opinion I am not in shape enough to play this year, but I will play next year if I can meet my goals. So please help me with advice on how to improve muscle mass in upper body and legs, and how to improve my stick handling, shooting, and awareness of the ice. I am also looking for ideas to improve my diet as well.

Thanks in advance for the advice

Canadiens1958 09-30-2012 10:31 PM

School Resources
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CupChamps2011 (Post 54686541)
Hello , I'm a 15 year old High School Freshman looking to play hockey again after a long time away from playing. I played hockey for 6 years until I was 10 years old and I stopped playing because of monetary reasons. I am looking into playing hockey for my high school in the near future. My high school is a Division III Massachusetts school so I am not looking to play in a high caliber level, but I need to get back in playing shape. I'm very slender for my age. I am 5'5 , and 85 lbs . I am 15.5% body fat which is in the average spectrum. My problem is I need to work out and build muscle mass. I am looking for advice for off ice training to help get back into the sport. I am obviously going to sit this year out because in my opinion I am not in shape enough to play this year, but I will play next year if I can meet my goals. So please help me with advice on how to improve muscle mass in upper body and legs, and how to improve my stick handling, shooting, and awareness of the ice. I am also looking for ideas to improve my diet as well.

Thanks in advance for the advice

Discuss your situation with the hockey coach or coaches at your high school and the Phys Ed teacher(s) as well.

Good luck.

Branden 09-30-2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 (Post 54687955)
Discuss your situation with the hockey coach or coaches at your high school and the Phys Ed teacher(s) as well.

Good luck.

My school is in a co-op with another school so my hockey coach doesn't teach at my house unfourtanetly.

Topshelf88 09-30-2012 10:38 PM

I went through a situation almost exactly like this, except for the diet part. Play house league if you are going to sit out a year, and do powerskating in the summer. Also, don't give up ever. I'm on my phone and could type a novel to you about this lol, if you ever wanna talk shoot me a PM.

TrueBlue86 09-30-2012 11:07 PM

i'm not a nutrition expert but i've done this recently myself with great fat loss results- just eat real food and your body fat will drop for sure.

i actually went wheat free and it's the best lifestyle choice i've made. you can still eat potatoes, corn, rice, starchy vegetables etc for a carb source. eat a lot of good sources of protein- eggs, cottage cheese, meats (white mean) etc...
also stick to healthy sources of fat.

eat alot of vegetables, and 2-3 servings of fruit/day.

if a person eats clean like this it's almost impossible not to be fit. you'll be growing so eat alot, but eat, good, clean, healthy food.

trust me, your tastes will change, so this diet might be hard for the first week or two only.

as for the workout, work on developing your entire body. i don't think you should fixate on hockey-specific exercises if you don't have a good base. working out is a long story, and you might want to go to a good fitness forum on the web

Branden 09-30-2012 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 (Post 54688973)
i'm not a nutrition expert but i've done this recently myself with great fat loss results- just eat real food and your body fat will drop for sure.

i actually went wheat free and it's the best lifestyle choice i've made. you can still eat potatoes, corn, rice, starchy vegetables etc for a carb source. eat a lot of good sources of protein- eggs, cottage cheese, meats (white mean) etc...
also stick to healthy sources of fat.

eat alot of vegetables, and 2-3 servings of fruit/day.

if a person eats clean like this it's almost impossible not to be fit. you'll be growing so eat alot, but eat, good, clean, healthy food.

trust me, your tastes will change, so this diet might be hard for the first week or two only.

as for the workout, work on developing your entire body. i don't think you should fixate on hockey-specific exercises if you don't have a good base. working out is a long story, and you might want to go to a good fitness forum on the web

I'm only 85 lbs and I'm 5'5" I'm not looking to lose weight. Instead I would like to either grow a little bit on my 15.5% body fat or keep it the way it is. I'm looking for a diet that will help me gain weight.

Dylbot 10-01-2012 06:16 AM

Well there's protein and weightlifting, but I'm no expert.

Given your age and size it sounds like you might just have to give it time for your body to mature. I was pretty scrawny until I was 19ish when my body just started naturally adding muscle.

At your age there is definitely such a thing as working out too much. Perhaps you should consult a personal trainer/physician on what to do/not do.

Jarick 10-01-2012 08:01 AM

Wow, 85 pounds is extremely slim, even at 5'5. I'd have a hard time believing you're 15.5% body fat though at that weight! At my absolute skinniest (after having mono for two months) I was 5'8 and 130 pounds and I was around 10% body fat and little muscle.

Can you tolerate milk? If you drink a gallon of whole milk every day in addition to your food that should up your weight. Doing a simple weightlifting routine like Starting Strength would be good for someone who needs to add lots of body weight. At the very least doing bodyweight exercises like lunges, pushups, jump squats, etc would be better than nothing.

And then just play as much as you can, get a stick and a golf ball or stickhandling ball, do USA hockey drills in the basement or garage, play road hockey with friends, play shinny with friends, get on the ice as much as possible to work on your skating...it all goes a long way.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.