HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Free Agent Frenzy (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Leaf fans: would you trade kadri for luongo? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1265971)

Lucbourdon 10-01-2012 12:59 AM

Leaf fans: would you trade kadri for luongo?

Lets say, Kadri + gunner for example for luongo?

Curious, considering all the drama surrounding Kadri.

dubey 10-01-2012 01:02 AM

lol no

Dangles McGavin 10-01-2012 01:07 AM

Kadri + Gunnar? Not a chance. Would I involved Kadri in a trade for Luongo? Perhaps.

Lucbourdon 10-01-2012 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin (Post 54690313)
Kadri + Gunnar? Not a chance. Would I involved Kadri in a trade for Luongo? Perhaps.

I never knew you guys valued gunner so highly.

Vankiller Whale 10-01-2012 01:09 AM

Gunnarson makes no sense from either side. We have too many left Ds, and the Leafs need defensive dman on their lineup.

Kadri makes sense as a part of a package, how big the package is depends on who you ask.

Royal Canuck 10-01-2012 01:11 AM

I don't want Kadri, only guy I'd want from Toronto is Gardiner and there's no way the Leafs will give them up without us overpaying like crazy.

bzer 10-01-2012 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal Canuck (Post 54690359)
I don't want Kadri, only guy I'd want from Toronto is Gardiner and there's no way the Leafs will give them up without us overpaying like crazy.

I would argue that Gunnarsson is much more valuable than Gardiner at this moment. Of course, Gardiner is projected to be better in the future but Canucks are at a win-now stage.

CSimpson18 10-01-2012 01:30 AM

As an outsider, Kadri and Gunnarson for Luongo seems reasonable but favors TO slightly.

While it would be difficult to replace Gunnarson in the short term, players of his talent level are available most years in FA, plus Gardiner and Rielly will soon be able to take over his minutes.

Kadri is a good prospect but has some hurdles to overcome. He is unlikely to be more than a decent top 6 forward. Not to mention the questions surrounding his commitment level.

Luongo is a top 15 goalie in the league who's value has never been lower. He's got his warts as well. His contract sucks (too long) and he's been sub-par in the last couple playoff runs. Nonetheless, high end goaltenders don't come along every day as Toronto fans are painfully aware of.

I think Toronto would be foolish to turn the offer down. The only way they lose this trade is if a) Kadri becomes more than a decent top 6 (unlikely given current development curve) or b) Luongo's play falls off a cliff (unlikely given his consistently good performance over the last 7 or 8 years).

Lucbourdon 10-01-2012 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSimpson18 (Post 54690513)
As an outsider, Kadri and Gunnarson for Luongo seems reasonable but favors TO slightly.

While it would be difficult to replace Gunnarson in the short term, players of his talent level are available most years in FA, plus Gardiner and Rielly will soon be able to take over his minutes.

Kadri is a good prospect but has some hurdles to overcome. He is unlikely to be more than a decent top 6 forward. Not to mention the questions surrounding his commitment level.

Luongo is a top 15 goalie in the league who's value has never been lower. He's got his warts as well. His contract sucks (too long) and he's been sub-par in the last couple playoff runs. Nonetheless, high end goaltenders don't come along every day as Toronto fans are painfully aware of.

I think Toronto would be foolish to turn the offer down. The only way they lose this trade is if a) Kadri becomes more than a decent top 6 (unlikely given current development curve) or b) Luongo's play falls off a cliff (unlikely given his consistently good performance over the last 7 or 8 years).

nice post :cheers:

Maximan89 10-01-2012 01:45 AM

I dont even like Kadri and this is still a no from the leafs perspective. Funny how Lu's massive contract was one of the first long term 'retirement' deals and its now one of the first 'what the heck do we do now' cases lol.

Kyle Doobas* 10-01-2012 01:58 AM

The value can be debated till the cows come home, but I don't see how a trade like Kadri + Gunnarsson for Luongo makes a whole lot of sense from the Leafs' POV, especially with the CBA situation up in the air.

Henrik To Daniel 10-01-2012 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSimpson18 (Post 54690513)

subpar in his last couple of playoff runs? luongo was the canucks conn smythe favorite in the 10-11 playoffs

604 10-01-2012 02:33 AM

If the CBA sets a lower cap but grandfather in pre-CBA contracts (which is what the PA is currently going for) does this make Luongo's contract more attractive? (Assume all contracts pre-CBA only count for ___% of their actual dollar value because they were signed before the new CBA reduced the cap).

Also, as a Canucks fan there's no way I take less than Kadri/Ashton + Colborne + 1st (top 5 protected) for Luongo.

How do Leaf fans rate Kadri vs Ashton vs Colborne?

ProstheticConscience 10-01-2012 02:53 AM

Behold Milton Berle in drag in a Ratt video.

Man Bear Pig 10-01-2012 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucbourdon (Post 54690323)
I never knew you guys valued gunner so highly.

Gunnar has more value(to us). The guy is one of the more underrated dmen around the league. He's a guy who isn't valued highly because he's overlooked because of guys like Phaneuf,Liles,Schenn(before the trade),Gardiner etc. He gets lost with all the dmen we have but at the end of the day, he's been our most steady dman for a few years all things considered. He has more value then Kadri IMO. Outside of Gardiner and Rielly, he's our most valuable dman.

PierreMcGuire* 10-01-2012 03:14 AM

As a Canucks fan I'd be pretty happy with a return of Kulemin, Frattin, and Kadri.

I doubt the Leafs would be too thrilled about it though. The Leafs would probably like something along the lines of Connolly and a second round pick.

But a reasonable deal for both sides would probably be something like Luongo for Kulemin, Kadri, and Connolly.

Man Bear Pig 10-01-2012 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 23 17 23 (Post 54690975)
As a Canucks fan I'd be pretty happy with a return of Kulemin, Frattin, and Kadri.

I doubt the Leafs would be too thrilled about it though. The Leafs would probably like something along the lines of Connolly and a second round pick.

But a reasonable deal for both sides would probably be something like Luongo for Kulemin, Kadri, and Connolly.

No, no it wouldn't. Connolly is a dump but Kadri is still a good prospect and Kulemin is a year removed from being one of the elite two-way players in the league. Canucks fans expect something like that for Luongo but Leafs fans simply wouldn't give that up. If he was on a reasonable contract then maybe but right now, no, absolutely not. The Canucks should be looking to get rid of that contract like we'd like to get rid of Komisarek, not getting greedy and asking for A level prospects and top 6 players. Get rid of the guy, plain and simple.

PierreMcGuire* 10-01-2012 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig (Post 54691057)
No, no it wouldn't. Connolly is a dump but Kadri is still a good prospect and Kulemin is a year removed from being one of the elite two-way players in the league. Canucks fans expect something like that for Luongo but Leafs fans simply wouldn't give that up. If he was on a reasonable contract then maybe but right now, no, absolutely not. The Canucks should be looking to get rid of that contract like we'd like to get rid of Komisarek, not getting greedy and asking for A level prospects and top 6 players. Get rid of the guy, plain and simple.

It's reasonable. You say Kulemin is a year removed from a great season, I say Luongo is a Top 10 goalie in the league.

You got to give to get, Luongo is still a stud goalie, and you only have to give up a quality player in Kulemin and a solid prospect in Kadri, and a dump that you don't want in Connolly.

Do you not think the leafs are a playoff team with Luongo in net?

Man Bear Pig 10-01-2012 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 23 17 23 (Post 54691073)
It's reasonable. You say Kulemin is a year removed from a great season, I say Luongo is a Top 10 goalie in the league.

You got to give to get, Luongo is still a stud goalie, and you only have to give up a quality player in Kulemin and a solid prospect in Kadri, and a dump that you don't want in Connolly.

Do you not think the leafs are a playoff team with Luongo in net?

Are we playoff team with him? sure. Are we a contender? no. Canucks fans need to understand, that contract is horrible no matter how you spin it, it's a horrible contract. If he was on a 5 year contract I'd be more than willing to pay a premium but on his contract, in reality, he loses considerable value despite him being a great goalie(which I fully believe he is). It's a hell of a lot easier to deal Kulemin then it is to deal Luongo. Kule was rattled from the KHL plane crash all year and it's completely reasonable to expect a 25 goal season from him. Luongo...this is as good as he gets but again, that contract is so damn ugly especially considering the potential new rules of the CBA whenever that happens. There's also a limited market. Seems to be Miami and Toronto and that's it. Smells a lot like the Rick Nash deal, the guy gave Columbus almost no options. He was a good player on a bad contract and he certainly has more value then Luongo and the return was a good prospect and a few good second/third liners.

PierreMcGuire* 10-01-2012 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig (Post 54691131)
Are we playoff team with him? sure. Are we a contender? no. Canucks fans need to understand, that contract is horrible no matter how you spin it, it's a horrible contract. If he was on a 5 year contract I'd be more than willing to pay a premium but on his contract, in reality, he loses considerable value despite him being a great goalie(which I fully believe he is). It's a hell of a lot easier to deal Kulemin then it is to deal Luongo. Kule was rattled from the KHL plane crash all year and it's completely reasonable to expect a 25 goal season from him. Luongo...this is as good as he gets but again, that contract is so damn ugly especially considering the potential new rules of the CBA whenever that happens. There's also a limited market. Seems to be Miami and Toronto and that's it. Smells a lot like the Rick Nash deal, the guy gave Columbus almost no options. He was a good player on a bad contract and he certainly has more value then Luongo and the return was a good prospect and a few good second/third liners.

If Luongo had a better contract he'd fetch a greater return than what is being proposed. Luongo with his current contract makes him much less appealing than his worth should be, but he still has value. Kulemin is the centerpiece, Kadri is a nice prospect, and Connolly is dump who brings less value to the package of Kulemin and Kadri.

nmbr_24 10-01-2012 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig (Post 54690959)
Gunnar has more value(to us). The guy is one of the more underrated dmen around the league. He's a guy who isn't valued highly because he's overlooked because of guys like Phaneuf,Liles,Schenn(before the trade),Gardiner etc. He gets lost with all the dmen we have but at the end of the day, he's been our most steady dman for a few years all things considered. He has more value then Kadri IMO. Outside of Gardiner and Rielly, he's our most valuable dman.

I know you guys love your Leafs, but how is the guy underrated? Being one of the best on the worst defensive team in the league isn't really that big of a selling point.

He may be better than every other d-man on that team but he is still what he is and that is a 2nd/3rd pairing guy and I don't see how that is remotely underrating him. I have seen him play somehwhere around 40 games now and I am pretty confident that he is an average NHL defender.

You are overrating him by a lot if you think he has more value than Phaneuf like you are saying in your post.

nmbr_24 10-01-2012 04:41 AM

I can understand why Leaf fans wouldn't want Luongo and his contract even though he would make them better immediately.

The Leafs have some more building to do before they can contend. I would have to think that if the Leafs were to acquire Luongo it would be a very complicated deal where the Leafs send out as much money as they take on and get some further incentive to make the deal.

Luongo
pick

for

Kadri
Komisarek

mytor4* 10-01-2012 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig (Post 54691057)

I think some people tend to overuse the word elite around here.
Kulemin and elite should never be mentioned together.:facepalm:
As for the OP's offer.I would think the Leafs management would jump at the chance of getting Luongo for so little.

jumptheshark 10-01-2012 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmbr_24 (Post 54691197)
I can understand why Leaf fans wouldn't want Luongo and his contract even though he would make them better immediately.

The Leafs have some more building to do before they can contend. I would have to think that if the Leafs were to acquire Luongo it would be a very complicated deal where the Leafs send out as much money as they take on and get some further incentive to make the deal.

Luongo
pick

for

Kadri
Komisarek

okay that made me laugh. komi would be the number 8 d-man on the canucks

nhlfan9191 10-01-2012 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel (Post 54690757)
subpar in his last couple of playoff runs? luongo was the canucks conn smythe favorite in the 10-11 playoffs

He was excellent in the 10/11 playoffs. But the Chicago/Boston meltdowns are to big to sweep under rug. Sorry but it's the truth.