HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   When will this lockout end? (all lockout talk here) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1266215)

402 10-01-2012 07:10 PM

When will this lockout end? (all lockout talk here)

Hey folks,

The big question is when will the lockout end, when will nhl teams play again

Here are some facts:
Wayne gretzky said today he thought the lockout would end by jan 1st
In 05 bettman said the season would be canceled around mid February i believe (i might be wrong)
Reg. season scheduled to begin Oct 11
Winter classic scheduled for jan 1st
All pre season games have been cancelled obviously
All games through the end of novmber have been cancelled
In 04 there were little to no talks after the lockout began for something like 3 months i think

So when do you think the lockout ends ?

Personaly i think it'll end sometime between december and january here's my reasoning
In 2004-05 the issue was around a salary cap and revenue sharing these are essentially total policy changes. In todays lockout everyone agrees on many of the policies in place we arent changing the system imo the main issue is around the percentage yes i understand the players dont want to make less money then they made last season and the owners refuse to pay the same amount to players they paid last year but i think as time moves on they will chamge their minds and come to a deal somehwere around 50-50 perhaps,
I know my reasoning kinda sucks and many people have given up on the season i'm still optimistic we will see some nhl hockey this season,

oilersfan11 10-01-2012 07:28 PM

No NHL hockey until September 2013.

Dorian2 10-01-2012 07:31 PM

I said between October and November. No reason, I'm just hopeful. It's probably a false hope though.

402 10-01-2012 07:33 PM

I thought I'd mention we have 4 months from now til February. Just for those pessimists

jukon 10-01-2012 07:48 PM

I hope it lasts all season

402 10-01-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukon (Post 54705459)
I hope it lasts all season

Because…your not a hockey fan ? You do know what website this is right?:sarcasm:

Matt Ryan 10-01-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 402 (Post 54705791)
Because…your not a hockey fan ? You do know what website this is right?:sarcasm:

No, because I finally get to watch Oilers players play ;)

Nah, it's a win-win for. I hope it starts for y'alls sake, but I wouldn't be crushed if it didn't

jukon 10-01-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 402 (Post 54705791)

This isn't NHLBoards. It's HFBoards. I think RNH and Schultz will be much better players for spending the season in the AHL. Besides, rather than watching the Oilers suck all year I can watch the Barons win the Calder Cup.

AM 10-01-2012 09:25 PM

Let me ask this question, do the players sound like they are caving any time soon?

And there's no economic reason for 24 team owners to play this season so, unless the players cave the season is over.

Which is of course something the players dont understand. By listening to their patter they obviously cant count to 24 let alone 30.

Mr Forever 10-01-2012 09:38 PM

I figured the league would want the Winter Classic, so you would think they would be trying to have this sorted out by then.

AM 10-01-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Forever (Post 54708289)
I figured the league would want the Winter Classic, so you would think they would be trying to have this sorted out by then.

They want the whole season.

But they want to actually make some money too.

s7ark 10-01-2012 09:53 PM

I may be on the extreme end of the pessimism spectrum here, but I can see this lockout going beyond just this season.

Hoogaar23 10-01-2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s7ark (Post 54708723)
I may be on the extreme end of the pessimism spectrum here, but I can see this lockout going beyond just this season.

I was obviously VERY wrong last year (before Fehr was brought in by the NHLPA) - someone voiced some concern about the soon to expire CBA and I kinda mocked them.

The last time around it was win or lose. Cap or no cap. There was no way to come out of that without one side being the clear loser and the other being the clear winner. The owners won. But now that the cap was in place, surely they can tweak whatever needs to be tweaked and there shouldn't be any worry about any kind of work stoppage.

Ooooh boy - was I wrong. Basically the minute NHLPA hired Fehr, I immediately became concerned.

This is a battle of egos - Fehr and Bettman, and neither wants to lose. What they fail to realize is that there are solutions out there where they can both win and lose - there's no need for a total victory for either side. Let the players keep their $1.87B, and freeze it there until that number gets to whatever the magic number is - 49-51%?

I don't know - with so much on the line, I don't understand why they are not just locked in a room and forced to come to some kind of agreement.

I voted canceled season. :cry:

JSC 10-01-2012 11:25 PM

I don't think it goes past November, to be honest. In 04-05, it was whether or not to implement a cap. This lockout is just trying to agree on a number. There's no reason for half the season to be lost.

Seedling 10-01-2012 11:31 PM

I Fehr that it will last all season.

JSC 10-01-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seedling (Post 54710697)

How much you wanna Bett-man? :naughty:

Seedling 10-01-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSC (Post 54710725)

Haha!

:handclap:

s7ark 10-01-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSC (Post 54710585)
I don't think it goes past November, to be honest. In 04-05, it was whether or not to implement a cap. This lockout is just trying to agree on a number. There's no reason for half the season to be lost.

I guess I should explain the reasons for my extreme pessimism. As Hoogaar23 pointed out, this is a battle of egos between two meglomaniacs. Neither of them will want to give an inch because of how it might affect their legacies. Then we add in the fact that neither of those two guys are hockey fans, so missing games/seasons isn't a huge deal for them. And finally, neither of them are likely to be replaced any time soon. That spells disaster to me.

I really hope I am wrong, but right now, I'd be surprised if we saw NHL hockey this season.

Perfect_Drug 10-01-2012 11:37 PM

We lose the season.

We get MacKinnon.

Everyone hates us and hates how we won our 3 Stanley Cups.

402 10-01-2012 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AM (Post 54707913)
Let me ask this question, do the players sound like they are caving any time soon?

And there's no economic reason for 24 team owners to play this season so, unless the players cave the season is over.

Which is of course something the players dont understand. By listening to their patter they obviously cant count to 24 let alone 30.

Are 24 teams actually not making a profit i thought it was more like 15-20, regardless i think if the pa was about to cave we wouldnt know it in front of the media the nhl and the nhlpa have seem to have two objectives to show unity and how strong they are and how much they believe in their leaders (fehr/bettman), and to win the support of fans by blaming each other

s7ark 10-01-2012 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug (Post 54710795)
We lose the season.

We get MacKinnon.

We stand a better chance of getting Jones or MacKinnon if we play the season. No season means we have the worst odds at the 1st pick. Assuming they'd do a Crosby like lottery again.

Actually, if the lockout is still ongoing by the end of next June, could they even have a draft? Aren't the draft rules part of the CBA?

flashy 10-01-2012 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug (Post 54710795)
We lose the season.

We get MacKinnon.

Lol.

nullterm 10-01-2012 11:44 PM

I can see the season being gone based on the fact the NHL & PA aren't even discussing money (the key point) at this time.

It's like both sides know they won't find a compromise any time soon so might as well deal with the trivial junk they can talk about without throwing stuff at each other.

Also doesn't seem like there's any impetus by either side (other than fans, who don't count) to save the season.

Hope I'm wrong.

402 10-01-2012 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukon (Post 54707227)
This isn't NHLBoards. It's HFBoards. I think RNH and Schultz will be much better players for spending the season in the AHL. Besides, rather than watching the Oilers suck all year I can watch the Barons win the Calder Cup.

Good points yak will benafit from the khl as well

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seedling (Post 54710697)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSC (Post 54710725)

:laugh: :handclap: well done gentlemen i had a good laugh out of that

Quote:

Originally Posted by s7ark (Post 54710871)
We stand a better chance of getting Jones or MacKinnon if we play the season. No season means we have the worst odds at the 1st pick. Assuming they'd do a Crosby like lottery again.

Actually, if the lockout is still ongoing by the end of next June, could they even have a draft? Aren't the draft rules part of the CBA?

i don't know but i do think the last lockout ended in july or August so that would be past the draft date also they may not necessarily do it the same way

s7ark 10-01-2012 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 402 (Post 54711031)
i don't know but i do think the last lockout ended in july or August so that would be past the draft date also they may not necessarily do it the same way

A good point. I forgot it took til July last time