HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New Jersey Devils (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   OT: The Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV/Books/Movies/Music/Video Games) Part V (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1266665)

Richer's Ghost 10-03-2012 07:32 AM

The Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV/Books/Movies/Music/Video Games) Part V

Part V

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Qzd9HIsRWe...ini-Series.jpg

Continue...

daveskirtun 10-03-2012 07:42 AM

Working on the only book of David Sedaris' that I haven't read.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...s_Chipmunk.jpg

Richer's Ghost 10-03-2012 07:52 AM

Didn't mean to cut you off...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartyOwns (Post 54735893)
:help:

those are the only 2 i've seen on that list. i did try to watch swingers once, but couldnt bear more than 30 minutes :laugh:

to saugus' point, although ive never seen star wars, i've seen enough parodies to know the plot. family guy did a parody of 'spies like us' so i think i get the gist of that movie too.

the thing is, im almost 30. how can i possibly find the time to watch all the movies i didnt see growing up? i feel like i missed that window. although i think i should make room for Slap Shots, at least

oh, and RG forgot top gun. thats one i saw a lot. especially the volleyball scene. a lot. right now. im playing volleyball with tom cruise and val kilmer as i type. glistening.

NHL lockout. Games usually run 2.5-3 hours. You can watch 2 comedies in 3 hours or just a tad over. Games average about 3 a week during the regular season, so you can knock off 6 movies a week using only the time you would have used watching the Devils.

Even at a C- grade effort, that's realistically 4 movies a week using only. Netflix would have all these titles no problem and for less than $10 a month you're total outlay would be maybe $20 and still have extra time gained from the 9 hours minimum you would have used watching hockey.

Here, I've mapped a schedule for you to get caught up by Thanksgiving and still have time off for personal enrichment.

FRI OCT 12, 2012 Fletch, Caddyshack
SAT OCT 13, 2012 Animal House, Fandango
WED OCT 17, 2012
FRI OCT 19, 2012 The Burbs, Blazing Saddles
WED OCT 24, 2012 Blues Brothers, Stripes
FRI OCT 26, 2012
TUE OCT 30, 2012 Slapshot, Major League
THU NOV 1, 2012 Trading Places, Vacation
SAT NOV 3, 2012
TUE NOV 6, 2012 Beverly Hills Cop, Bachelor Party
FRI NOV 9, 2012 Airplane, Planes Trains and Automobiles
SUN NOV 11, 2012
TUE NOV 13, 2012 Fast Times at Ridgemont High
THU NOV 15, 2012 Naked Gun, Gung Ho
SAT NOV 17, 2012
TUE NOV 20, 2012 Bull Durham, Ghostbusters
WED NOV 21, 2012
SAT NOV 24, 2012 Star Wars Original Trilogy (with turkey leftovers between movies)
MON NOV 26, 2012 Unforgiven, Outlaw Josey Wales

Saugus 10-03-2012 08:18 AM

I know what you mean about knowing the plot of some classic movies even if you've never seen them. They've been imitated so often, that the original doesn't always feel original anymore.

MartyOwns 10-03-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost (Post 54736041)
Didn't mean to cut you off...

NHL lockout. Games usually run 2.5-3 hours. You can watch 2 comedies in 3 hours or just a tad over. Games average about 3 a week during the regular season, so you can knock off 6 movies a week using only the time you would have used watching the Devils.

Even at a C- grade effort, that's realistically 4 movies a week using only. Netflix would have all these titles no problem and for less than $10 a month you're total outlay would be maybe $20 and still have extra time gained from the 9 hours minimum you would have used watching hockey.

Here, I've mapped a schedule for you to get caught up by Thanksgiving and still have time off for personal enrichment.

FRI OCT 12, 2012 Fletch, Caddyshack
SAT OCT 13, 2012 Animal House, Fandango
WED OCT 17, 2012
FRI OCT 19, 2012 The Burbs, Blazing Saddles
WED OCT 24, 2012 Blues Brothers, Stripes
FRI OCT 26, 2012
TUE OCT 30, 2012 Slapshot, Major League
THU NOV 1, 2012 Trading Places, Vacation
SAT NOV 3, 2012
TUE NOV 6, 2012 Beverly Hills Cop, Bachelor Party
FRI NOV 9, 2012 Airplane, Planes Trains and Automobiles
SUN NOV 11, 2012
TUE NOV 13, 2012 Fast Times at Ridgemont High
SAT NOV 17, 2012
TUE NOV 20, 2012 Bull Durham, Ghostbusters
WED NOV 21, 2012
SAT NOV 24, 2012 Star Wars Original Trilogy (with turkey leftovers between movies)
MON NOV 26, 2012 Unforgiven, Outlaw Josey Wales

holy hell man :laugh:

I really donít want to do this plan, but you put so much time and effort into this I think I have to. damn you rg. damn yous to hellll

in all seriousness, I think I stand a greater chance to complete this list if I try to get it done before, I donít know, april 2013. I just donít have the patience to watch movies that often until thanksgiving. appreciate the schedule though, even if it is a little too ambitious for me lol

Richer's Ghost 10-03-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartyOwns (Post 54736369)
holy hell man :laugh:

I really don’t want to do this plan, but you put so much time and effort into this I think I have to. damn you rg. damn yous to hellll

in all seriousness, I think I stand a greater chance to complete this list if I try to get it done before, I don’t know, april 2013. I just don’t have the patience to watch movies that often until thanksgiving. appreciate the schedule though, even if it is a little too ambitious for me lol

Oh good call. Add Planet of the Apes and Beneath the Planet of the Apes to that list.

:sarcasm:

I was a little aggressive on the double feature aspect and even realized that as I posted it that you couldn't take the slow start to Swingers even... spread those out to 1 movie every other game night and I think you still knock out half the list by the time the NHL returns though.

Required accessories:

http://flavorscientist.com/wp-conten...ar-popcorn.jpg

http://www.shoprandalls.com/imagedb/PRMTB1L.jpg

Wingman77 10-03-2012 11:25 AM

Man Martyowns you've been missing out!

MartyOwns 10-03-2012 11:54 AM

i know i know! ill get to it.

rg, you mentioned POTA. did anyone ever see the marky mark one from 2001, I believe? I never understood the ending. and of course, I never saw the original in cases that could provide any context. how did the apes get to earth? I never got that. maybe I need to see it again.

or maybe marky mark has finally made a monkey out of meeeeee

Richer's Ghost 10-03-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartyOwns (Post 54739849)
i know i know! ill get to it.

rg, you mentioned POTA. did anyone ever see the marky mark one from 2001, I believe? I never understood the ending. and of course, I never saw the original in cases that could provide any context. how did the apes get to earth? I never got that. maybe I need to see it again.

or maybe marky mark has finally made a monkey out of meeeeee

Marky Mark one sucked. It built on the original plot and thus you didn't understand the "Ah-ha!" ending attempt that was weaker than Honey Boo-Boo's multiplication tables.

Quote:

In Tim Burton's reboot of Planet of the Apes, Heston replacement Mark Wahlberg takes off in a ship in 2029, and lands on another planet, ruled by apes, in 5021. Why make it so much further in the future? Did that really seem more realistic? Who the hell knows. At the end, Wahlberg returns to contemporary Earth and finds that it is run by apes too. This is similar to the original French novel, except that the astronaut in that book returned to Earth 700 years in the future. So actually it's not like the French novel at all, and it makes no sense. Please do not see this movie.
I couldn't have said it better. It seems on the rare occasion you actually do take time to see a movie the odds are about 50:50 that you're picking a stinker to watch. Please clear all non-listed movies with me in advance to save you from further destroying your opinion on the entertainment value of movies.

Brodeur 10-03-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost (Post 54735889)

Ah, good old V, a seminal part of my childhood. Even gave the remake a chance.

------------

Did anybody catch "Broke" last night? I found it quite entertaining, kinda like "what happens after Cribs." Some of the stories weren't exactly new (Sports Illustrated had an article about it a few years back), but it was different to see the athletes themselves explain how things transpired.

Even though he's much maligned as a coach/analyst, I highly enjoyed Herm Edwards in the documentary. They showed him talking to incoming NFL rookies and he had a great one liner about not wasting money on jewelry: "You don't need to go out and buy the Mr. T starter kit."

Quote:

After the Packers/Seahawks game, I naturally went to YouTube to watch the baseball scene from Naked Gun. The strike three call never fails to crack me up. Ditto "Hey, it's Enrico Pallazzo!"

Rewatched Gung Ho within the last year. That unearthed a repressed memory that the movie might have been the first time I realized I was Asian. Movie came out when I was like 5/6. George Wendt plowing over his overbearing boss in the softball scene might have subconsciously contributed to why I never got into Cheers.

Saugus 10-03-2012 02:12 PM

The only Planet of the Apes that is any good is the original. The rest are varying levels of dross, but all still inescapably dross.

Richer's Ghost 10-03-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodeur (Post 54741649)

Rewatched Gung Ho within the last year. That unearthed a repressed memory that the movie might have been the first time I realized I was Asian. Movie came out when I was like 5/6. George Wendt plowing over his overbearing boss in the softball scene might have subconsciously contributed to why I never got into Cheers.

:laugh:

Holy psych reference Batman.

Jersey Man 10-03-2012 11:38 PM

Not the greatest South Park episode but Cartman is still hysterical.

Jersey Man 10-05-2012 08:45 AM

Getzo5 10-06-2012 02:53 PM

This could be epic... or an epic fail, who knows. Looks interesting though.

Also, I will definitely go see Broken City in January.

Scottyk9 10-06-2012 06:53 PM

yakitate304 10-08-2012 11:48 AM

Looper is really good, you should all see it.

Richer's Ghost 10-08-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yakitate304 (Post 54844703)

I like the premise - although I find it hard to imagine time travel taking place in the next 60 years.

MartyOwns 10-08-2012 11:59 AM

anyone see taken 2: tooken?

Devilsfan92 10-08-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinaphps (Post 54820219)

I really enjoyed the new one.

Quote:

I hope to see it soon. Big fan of Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

Also want to see Seven Psychopaths.

yakitate304 10-08-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost (Post 54844859)
I like the premise - although I find it hard to imagine time travel taking place in the next 60 years.

One thing I appreciated is that it wasn't like Inception, slowing down the plot to constantly explain things to the audience (aka Ellen Page). In Looper, time travel is a device that the movie uses to help tell the story, rather than the subject of frequent and pointless dialogue. Overall, the movie is very well written, well acted (strong lead and supporting performances, without any noticeable weak link), well shot and fantastically paced.

So far, I'd say this is the movie of the year for me, topping "The Grey" and "Lawless". Django Unchained, Skyfall, Cloud Atlas, Seven Psychopaths, The Hobbit, and Les Mis still come out this year so it'll be interesting to see if I like any of them more than Looper.

Brodeur 10-08-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

I enjoyed it as well, went into it thinking it might be Time Cop 2. Naturally some questions/continuity errors with time travel, but still pretty well done.

---------

My vacation next month is going to end in Vegas with what I have dubbed the "This would have been way more awesome in 1988" night. Currently slated to get free tickets for an exhibition tennis match between Andre Agassi and John McEnroe. Later that night, I'm meeting up with other friends for a Guns N' Roses concert.

Saugus 10-09-2012 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost (Post 54844859)

It's hard for me to imagine backward time travel ever happening. As soon as it's invented, people would start messing with time and inevitably cause temporal paradoxes of varying severity. There are physics theories that state that these paradoxes would eventually destabilise our area of space-time irreversibly and cause it to collapse, and therefore the only stable timeline, the one we must be living on, is the one where time travel has never been invented and can never be invented.

It's an interesting concept. Part of me wants them to be wrong because of how cool the concept is, another part understands why we all want them to be correct for practical reasons.

Richer's Ghost 10-09-2012 09:25 AM

Ever see the movie Happy Accidents? An unusual movie surrounding time travel.

Richer's Ghost 10-10-2012 07:49 AM

Ok so after much deliberation, I decided to start in on the Homeland series. Watched the first two episodes last night. Pretty good, but not great yet. I hope it builds in pace because it feels more like the first season of 24 than a good cable series.

It won a bunch of awards though so I'm hoping it just starts slow and really gets going with more character complexity because if it's just the one storyline for an entire season it's going to wear thin on me. I do like the actors though, especially Mandy Patinkin who I really came to like in the great hospital series Chicago Hope many many years ago.

Damian Lewis still feels like Lt. Winters from Band of Brothers too. Hard to shake him from that role.