HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   big toe callous (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1266671)

deadphish23 10-03-2012 08:15 AM

big toe callous

So I get this callous on the outside of my big toe after skating. It's not all that painful, but still annoying and not pain-free. Has anyone had this kind of thing before? How did you treat it, and how can you prevent this? Do I just need better fitting skates?

noobman 10-03-2012 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadphish23 (Post 54736251)
So I get this callous on the outside of my big toe after skating. It's not all that painful, but still annoying and not pain-free. Has anyone had this kind of thing before? How did you treat it, and how can you prevent this? Do I just need better fitting skates?

Are you wearing socks when you play? If so, what kind of sock?

fryer98 10-03-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadphish23 (Post 54736251)

I get it here and there, usually when I haven't skated much to build up the thick skin. I skate barefoot so I just put a wrap of clear tape around my toe. Real advanced medical stuff, I know. :laugh:

deadphish23 10-03-2012 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobman (Post 54736289)
Are you wearing socks when you play? If so, what kind of sock?

Yes I wear socks. Usually a black dress sock or thin soccer sock.

deadphish23 10-03-2012 08:42 AM

I used to wear regular crew socks, but thought they might be the culprit so I switched to thin socks. I think the switch has helped a bit, but not eliminated the issue.

theFinn 10-03-2012 09:29 AM

I have a similar issue with some new skates I just got, what I did was take it into the skate shop and get the toe punched out a bit. It seemed to help, I skated on Monday night and had less discomfort in the toe area.

deadphish23 10-03-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theFinn (Post 54737201)
I have a similar issue with some new skates I just got, what I did was take it into the skate shop and get the toe punched out a bit. It seemed to help, I skated on Monday night and had less discomfort in the toe area.

Problem is, these are inlines. So the toe is plastic or carbon or whatever. I don't think that is "punchable".

Pog Form 10-03-2012 10:13 AM

I've seen guys wear a gel toe cover on their big toe. Something like this: http://www.feetrelief.com/feetrelief/gel_toe_cap.html

TickleMeYandle 10-03-2012 03:12 PM

I have a callus on my right toe. It doesn't bother me at all. In fact, when I was off the ice for a month for vacation, it started to go away. Then when I got back on the ice, it hurt again for a couple of days. Now it's built back up and it doesn't hurt.

Dylbot 10-03-2012 07:10 PM

Oh come on Mod, that was funny. No curse words, unoffensive. Let us have a little fun.

ArrogantOwl 10-03-2012 09:10 PM

I've had mine grow for the past 3 or 4 years. Basically I'd sand it down after it was done growing and it's normally due to your shoe or skate or whatever moving around too much. To eliminate the pain I just sand it down to be slightly more pronounced than the rest of the foot so it's still dead skin on top.

MikeModano9 10-05-2012 02:06 PM

My grafs gave me a red bump in that spot And I remember it hurting for at least a couple months before the pain just went away, now it's just a callous. Also got my skates punched though. If it's plastic there must be a way to punch it to give you the extra 1/8". Just go check with your local hockey store.