HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   extra time off-- good or bad for Crosby? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1266693)

Til the End of Time 10-03-2012 10:15 AM

extra time off-- good or bad for Crosby?

with the possibility of canceled games, i was wondering if this would be a good or bad thing for crosby?

pros would be that he'll have more time to recover from his injury.

cons are that he will have gone several years now with very minimal in-game experience. he'll be more rusty, but does that matter?

also on a similar note, a big-wig neurologist is having a lunch-time discussion about concussions in sports next week. i want to ask him some good questions that can help us understand more about what happened with sid and the risk of recurrences, so if you come up with something good i'll ask it and post his answer.

my main question right now is risk of recurrences and how time off affects that. people say more time off=better but is that really true?

so let's talk about sid!

Sivek 10-03-2012 10:27 AM

Bad, playing such a small amount of games over the past 3 years would be a negative for any player and it's not like missing more time this season is a guarantee to make his brain any stronger. If he's not sufficiently recovered by now, he's never going to be. This is his 3rd extended layoff since the concussion problems.

datsykiandeke 10-03-2012 10:33 AM

Time off will obviously help however once you have a concussion or multiple ones you are still going to be more susceptible than your average person. Once the symptoms go away completely your not neccesarily in the clear however it is a positive thing. The time off the ice for him is obviously going to make it harder for him to get into game ready shape. Concussions aren't an exact science and it varys from person to person. I would say this extended time off is probably good for him short term, long term his health is very uncertain who knows when the next hit could lead to reoccuring symptoms or another head injury.

Shady Machine 10-03-2012 11:14 AM

I'd say it's bad. To me he proved he was fully recovered last playoffs. To go along with that he had a fully healthy off season where he could train to the max (from what we've been told). I don't see how anymore time off will help heal him any further since in my very uneducated opinion he is as healthy as he will be with regards to the head/neck injury.

That said, Sid is a very dedicated trainer so I'm not all that worried about his conditioning levels or rust.

Really the worst thing about Sid being out is for me the fan. I want to watch him play.

SterlingBennett 10-03-2012 11:49 AM

Good and bad. It's a mixed bag. Bad because he has not played hardly any hockey now over the past couple of season.

But good because once there is a season with Sid's competition level being as it is... When there finally is hockey it'll be like a shark smelling blood in the water. He will be completely 150% wanting I hit the ice full speed and play. Which is a good thing.

MetalheadPenguinsFan 10-03-2012 12:06 PM

Good: He can have time off to heal if need be.

Bad: All of this time off will hurt his legacy and put him in the "What If" categories and debates like how we see with Mario.

Worst: We're robbed of the ability to watch him play. :(

Le Magnifique 66 10-03-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan (Post 54740121)

Bad: All of this time off will hurt his legacy and put him in the "What If" categories and debates like how we see with Mario.

Well said

SidTheKid8787 10-03-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan (Post 54740121)

I agree with all of this but there comes a point where he's gonna be as healed as he's ever gonna be and that time is now imo.

He put in some serious work this offseason and was primed to have a great start.

I really am pissed were losing(probably) another full year of his prime but this time, he is ready and rarin' to go. Thats what makes it more frustrating.

I'll settle for watching him play overseas/world championships though. I just hope he lands someplace that streams/televises the games.

ETA: I meant to ask this but are all the Euro leagues done the time the WC starts? It'll be Olympic'esque this year with the rare cases of players playing in AHL that could play for their country.

Saku11 10-03-2012 03:27 PM

Just go play somewhere to keep conditioned Sid. I have a feeling if he goes to Russia he will not get a warm welcome there.Swiss or Fin league wold be good.

sanitysrequiem 10-03-2012 03:52 PM

Terrible for his legacy. It's the middle of his prime and the for three years of it, for one reason or another, he hasn't played a full season. He's been scoring at a 135 point clip but hasn't been able to put together that one full season which distinguishes him as one of the best forwards ever. I hope he does it soon.

ManInTheBox 10-03-2012 03:58 PM

When Time off is good, it means you're old, right? Caution, I think, is something on a lot of people's minds. He's missed so much time already. Has anyone come up with how many games he's been sitting for?

Sutter16 10-03-2012 04:10 PM

There is NOTHING good for Sid, we will lose some of his prime.It's terrible.He doesn't need to get healthy,he already is. When this stupid lockout gets done. He will be ready.

Ugene Malkin 10-03-2012 06:34 PM

I'm with, Sutter. He's already healed.

Losing prime years of Sid is really bad. Working on complete season #2 of Sids career of his prime. 1-1/2 years plus this lockout.:(

I'm getting tired of the would have, could have, should have, with the generational talents over the years. It's a darn shame.

Human 10-03-2012 06:55 PM

it is terrible. he and Malkin lost enough time in their respective primes. they should play hockey, time passes for everybody.

Sutter16 10-03-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Human (Post 54748849)
it is terrible. he and Malkin lost enough time in their respective primes. they should play hockey, time passes for everybody.

They will play Hockey this year, it's just of matter of when.IMO we will be playing around American Thanksgiving.And yes we can't forget about Geno's prime too.

Fordy 10-03-2012 09:41 PM

It'll help with his head but he'll be rusty as all hell.

FDBluth 10-03-2012 10:06 PM

I hope he goes to Europe soon so at least someone will get to see him work his magic.

ForzaItalia 10-03-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 (Post 54744127)
I agree with all of this but there comes a point where he's gonna be as healed as he's ever gonna be and that time is now imo.

He put in some serious work this offseason and was primed to have a great start.

I really am pissed were losing(probably) another full year of his prime but this time, he is ready and rarin' to go. Thats what makes it more frustrating.

I'll settle for watching him play overseas/world championships though. I just hope he lands someplace that streams/televises the games.

ETA: I meant to ask this but are all the Euro leagues done the time the WC starts? It'll be Olympic'esque this year with the rare cases of players playing in AHL that could play for their country.

What team will insure him with his recent injury woes and why would he risk losing all that money in his new contract by getting injured wearing a KHL, etc jersey?

I don't think he'll play anywhere.

ColePens 10-03-2012 10:35 PM

This popped up into my head the other day and I'm split. I think it's perfect for his overall health.

SidTheKid8787 10-04-2012 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForzaItalia (Post 54753833)
What team will insure him with his recent injury woes and why would he risk losing all that money in his new contract by getting injured wearing a KHL, etc jersey?

I don't think he'll play anywhere.

Brisson has already said he's fielding offers for Sid and Sid himself, said he'll probably go overseas in a month or 2.

Slabber Chops 10-04-2012 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Til the End of Time (Post 54737815)
with the possibility of canceled games, i was wondering if this would be a good or bad thing for crosby?

pros would be that he'll have more time to recover from his injury.

cons are that he will have gone several years now with very minimal in-game experience. he'll be more rusty, but does that matter?

also on a similar note, a big-wig neurologist is having a lunch-time discussion about concussions in sports next week. i want to ask him some good questions that can help us understand more about what happened with sid and the risk of recurrences, so if you come up with something good i'll ask it and post his answer.

my main question right now is risk of recurrences and how time off affects that. people say more time off=better but is that really true?

so let's talk about sid!

Good thing. Re: The lack of game-time. Form is temporary, class is permanent. I'm unconcerned and I feel that if he was really concerned about it, he'd be in Russia by now.

mattihp 10-04-2012 02:38 AM

I think it will be extremely good. He seems to have that Lemieuxitis in which he comes back from injuries in match shape and playing great.

legendinblue 10-04-2012 02:45 AM

Terrible. Losing yet another year of his prime. :/

Weide 10-04-2012 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FDBluth (Post 54753313)
I hope he goes to Europe soon so at least someone will get to see him work his magic.

Well, it sure would be cool to see what he can do in an european league. But with his newly signed contract he will cost a small fortune to insure, and i think very few clubs can afford him tbh.

66877168 10-04-2012 07:58 AM

Lets be optimists and say that extra recovery time will be great for Sid and put this concussion bs to rest for good. Not much else to be optimistic about relating to Uncle Gary's Garage League.