HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Should we be doing more? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1267115)

coolasprICE 10-04-2012 12:44 PM

Should we be doing more?
 
Mods, I appreciate everything you all do but I need to voice this.

This really sucks. I'm not even following the updates but I hear there's a growing consensus that the season is going to be cancelled.

I use to listen to tsn 990/690.. Now I don't.

I use to post on hfboards... Now, I don't so much.

I use to be excited about the Canadiens... Now, I'm just apathetic.

I don't want it to be this way, but it is.

I ask - should we just live without our winter pastime and simply adjust?

Maybe this apathy is a terrible thing - and I wonder, what can I do? What can we fans do?

All I see and hear is the same apathy and distant frustration from everyone.

Are we fans doing the right thing? Is there any kind of message we should/could deliver?

Are we all doing the right thing by being so passive about our discontent?

Bill McNeal 10-04-2012 12:46 PM

Apathy is the best message you can send.

Nothing would make me happier than to see the NHL return to half empty arenas in their top markets.

Et le But 10-04-2012 12:48 PM

Maybe you could make a supportive post on the Bruins board.

Le Tricolore 10-04-2012 01:09 PM

we are, we are, the youth of the nation

SeriousHabs 10-04-2012 01:38 PM

At this rate I will be fluent in Russian.

Jigger77 10-04-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill McNeal (Post 54762813)
Apathy is the best message you can send.

Nothing would make me happier than to see the NHL return to half empty arenas in their top markets.

Absolutely. I would really like for people not to go to games when/if they come back. They all need to be brought back to earth in a big way. This is now officially a circus, a farce, in my view.

Personally I was never much of a big buyer of gear, but I did buy a hat usually every year this time of year and a few T-shirts. No way I'm doing that now. Also I haven't purchased the new NHL13 this year for the first time in as long as I can remember. It's not much, but if 10 million people do the same it's something at least.

I am completely sickened by these bozos. I hope this ends up screwing them up financially for years to come. I sincerely mean that.

Mrb1p 10-04-2012 01:47 PM

Seriously imagine if the home opener had reduction of sales for like 60%?? Even 20 in motnreal will look HUGE.

But like someone said (I dont remember who..) fans loves hockey, they love it too much.. We'll all go watch the game and be happy its back..

coolasprICE 10-04-2012 01:49 PM

how many of you would be willing to go in front of the camera, with hundreds if not other thousands of nhl fans, and throw at least 1 nhl item that you own into a huge fire pit?

A friend of mine has some land up north and we fantasized about staging such an event of this nature - things like this need to be organized all over canada. Of course we won't do it - since I rather not be known ''as that guy''... but some more active social media names should.

Will anyone organize such a social movement? I'm betting something will happen sooner than later. It's just a question of doing something, as much as we can agree that doing nothing is also beneficial.

If social media gets these movements to happen, mainstream media will pick it up.

I think the only thing we fans are accomplishing now is by saying ''I'm apathetic now, but I'm really a sheep and will return next year, or the year after''.

As Canadians, we claim how hockey runs deep, but really, I'm waiting for the proof. By destroying our paraphernalia, we are telling the NHL and the NHLPA to **** OFF.

The downside in my brilliant strategy is the risk that we will replace these items in the future which will cause a mini revenue boom...lol.

Le Tricolore 10-04-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolasprICE (Post 54764399)
how many of you would be willing to go in front of the camera, with hundreds if not other thousands of nhl fans, and throw at least 1 nhl item that you own into a huge fire pit?

A friend of mine has some land up north and we fantasized about staging such an event of this nature - things like this need to be organized all over canada.

Will anyone organize such a social movement? I'm betting something will happen sooner than later. It's just a question of doing something, as much as we can agree that doing nothing is also beneficial.

If social media gets these movements to happen, mainstream media will pick it up.

I think the only thing we fans are accomplishing now is by saying ''I'm apathetic now, but I'm really a sheep and will return next year, or the year after''.

As Canadians, we claim how hockey runs deep, but really, I'm waiting for the proof.

The NHL would love this. As soon as the season starts, people will be buying that item again. MOAR MONIES!

coolasprICE 10-04-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Tricolore (Post 54764457)
The NHL would love this. As soon as the season starts, people will be buying that item again. MOAR MONIES!

lol, I realized that after I posted.. I edited by post, see last line.

Maybe we could all agree to by imitation moving forward? Only buy fakes.

Jigger77 10-04-2012 01:57 PM

Personally, I think your best bet is to get the message across to as many people as possible to not buy NHL products and (more importantly) tickets for a full year following a return of NHL hockey. Use any social media means possible and spread the word.

Empty or half full arenas when they return would speak volumes. It's the only language these clowns understand.

walsy37 10-04-2012 02:02 PM

I don't know how old you are - but it could also be you are growing up?

I love watching sports, particularly hockey and football (NFL). I love the Habs and used to be a die hard Expos fan. But I certainly have different feelings in my 30's for sports that I did in my teens. You get older, you get more interests. You get busier, you get more responsibilities.

When you remember that all this is entertainment, you put the lockout aside, let them finish their business and come back to being entertained later.

Bill McNeal 10-04-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrb1p (Post 54764339)
Seriously imagine if the home opener had reduction of sales for like 60%?? Even 20 in motnreal will look HUGE.

But like someone said (I dont remember who..) fans loves hockey, they love it too much.. We'll all go watch the game and be happy its back..

I think had the season started as planned, Mr Molson would have already been feeling some backlash as a result of this past season's poor showing. I've been buying Habs tickets religiously every year since the last lockout, and only twice in 7 seasons was I able to get a 10 game pack. By the time it was my turn to order online, only single seats were left.

This year? Almost a week after they had gone on sale I could log onto the Habs' website and order 3 of the 4 offered packs if I wanted to (which I didn't). Granted, part of that is a result of the uncertainty from the lockout, but that had to feel like a glass of cold water dumped on Molson's head. The sale eventually ended with packs still available. These things usually sell out in 3 hours.

Now games are getting cancelled, fans are angry/apathetic and just put off by the concept of billionaires fighting millionaires... I'm very curious to see how they'd react if hockey does return this year. I know I'm done spending money on this team for a little while at least.

coolasprICE 10-04-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walsy37 (Post 54764771)
I don't know how old you are - but it could also be you are growing up?

I love watching sports, particularly hockey and football (NFL). I love the Habs and used to be a die hard Expos fan. But I certainly have different feelings in my 30's for sports that I did in my teens. You get older, you get more interests. You get busier, you get more responsibilities.

I definitely act half my age and I agree with you about getting other interests. In fact, I have. But I still want to watch my hockey game once or twice a week.

I'm going to miss torturing my lady with hockey night in canada on a Saturday night. Instead, I'm going to be going out for sushi. And talking about replublicans and democrats.

I want rotisserie Portuguese chicken and diet pepsi back in my life... just once or twice a week.

Thank god for the NFL.

walsy37 10-04-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolasprICE (Post 54764833)
I definitely act half my age and I agree with you about getting other interests. In fact, I have. But I still want to watch my hockey game once or twice a week.

I'm going to miss torturing my lady with hockey night in canada on a Saturday night. Instead, I'm going to be going out for sushi. And talking about replublicans and democrats.

I want rotisserie Portuguese chicken and diet pepsi back in my life... just once or twice a week.

Thank god for the NFL.

lol. I thought the happiest person about the lockout was my wife. Now she gets me on Saturday nights again!

Habs 4 Life 10-04-2012 02:10 PM

I don't check as much as I did back in 04, things have changed in my life ( for the better ) and we are also expecting a baby boy in 2 weeks now :). So i'll be busy anyways + I'm not a huge baseball fan but I do like watching the playoffs and love the NFL. Glad it's now 3 days a week.

If they play they play, if they don't well screw them, it won't be as painful to me as it was back in 04

Coldplay 10-04-2012 02:11 PM

I'm not apathetic and never will be.

Habs 4 Life 10-04-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walsy37 (Post 54764913)
lol. I thought the happiest person about the lockout was my wife. Now she gets me on Saturday nights again!

The wives are definitely the winners in all of this!!! :help:

coolasprICE 10-04-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life (Post 54764977)

If they play they play, if they don't well screw them, it won't be as painful to me as it was back in 04

I agree with this statement fully. But still, having hockey is better than not. Even if we are busy, having babies, renovating, developing other interests. We are still losing.

overlords 10-04-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolasprICE (Post 54765091)
I agree with this statement fully. But still, having hockey is better than not. Even if we are busy, having babies, renovating, developing other interests. We are still losing.

Good god... I might start getting forced to... go out.

Le Tricolore 10-04-2012 02:26 PM

I didn't have a girlfriend in 2004, so I checked a lot then. I now have less time to devote to moping about hockey.

It sucks that there's the lockout, but nothing we can do to change it, other than wait.

Le Tricolore 10-04-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolasprICE (Post 54764539)
lol, I realized that after I posted.. I edited by post, see last line.

Maybe we could all agree to by imitation moving forward? Only buy fakes.

After working at the Bell Centre, I could never possibly buy a fake product... I spot them way too easily, and they're hideous.

Figaro95 10-04-2012 02:34 PM

Start burning NHL merchandise. Hats, Jerseys, Everything. This would be a good shock movement, but even that would in have a good return for the NHL favour when the fans start buying NHL merch all over again.

Habs 4 Life 10-04-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyman (Post 54765569)
Start burning NHL merchandise. Hats, Jerseys, Everything. This would be a good shock movement, but even that would in have a good return for the NHL favour when the fans start buying NHL merch all over again.

It just won't work cause hockey is too dam big in the Canadian cities and some US ones as well. The rest the NHL IMO is going to have an even harder time to attract fans, in certain cities where it was already a problem now it's going to be a real challenge

Guy Germaine 10-04-2012 03:01 PM

I would love to see people burn their NHL gear. Seriously,give a massive F-u to the NHL. A hat, an old t-shirt, a jersey, a flag. People all over the world, every city and town coming together and tossing their piece into a pile and the burning it.
And then don't spend a penny on the NHL for at least a year after the lockout ends.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.