HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Prospect Info: 2013 NHL Draft Prospects I (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1267187)

Generic User 10-04-2012 04:12 PM

2013 NHL Draft Prospects I

With the offseason still here and not much hockey (at the North American professional level, at least :rant:) to talk about, coupled with the new Barkov thread, I figured it would be a nice time to start discussing and arguing (civilly, of course) over 2013 draft prospects. Hopefully this thread will breathe new life into HFWild during this lockout. Who do you like?

EDIT: Here's CBS Sports' top 50 as of 9:24AM CST today (Oct. 4). Has analysis for each player, which can make for some good dinner table conversation..

Linky

More rankings:

CSS Preliminary 2013 North America
CSS Preliminary 2013 International
FC September Top 30

Victorious Secret 10-04-2012 04:15 PM

Absolutely no way I'm getting passed up again.

Generic User 10-04-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victorious Secret (Post 54766619)

Last year was my final year of draft eligibility. On the plus side, I'm now an unrestricted undrafted free agent. Am free to sign with whomever I please. Bidding wars commence.

W75 10-04-2012 04:25 PM

I think this was my last chance to play at the highest professional level. Now I have to consider retirement, when there's no season at all.

But I can always tell my children and grandchildren. The lockout broke daddy's / grandpa's dream. You know, daddy / grandpa was almost there..

GopherState 10-04-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victorious Secret (Post 54766619)

I hate to break it to you...

Tuomaz 10-04-2012 04:52 PM

Jones or Mackinnon? I choose Seth Jones. Don't ask me why.

Circulartheory 10-04-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuomaz (Post 54767435)
Jones or Mackinnon? I choose Seth Jones. Don't ask me why.

MacKinnon. He's the entire package as well as gamebreaking ability. Jones has the potential but is still working out a few things.

And man, this is the year of centers. Barkov, Monahan, Kujawinski, Lazar, Lindholm etc.

this providence 10-04-2012 05:12 PM

While it'd be great to luck into one of the more bandied about names around here (like on the Prospects board), I'd settle for Fasching... ;)

Circulartheory 10-04-2012 05:37 PM

I think we need an talented winger. We are pretty stacked with centers, two-way forwards, and playmakers.

Defensively, we finally got anther bluechip defenseman in Dumba, who will look nicely with Brodin, Scandella and Spurgeon.

But we lack any talent on the wing. I am not convinced quite yet that Zucker or Bulmer can be top line material.

Say we get a top 10-15 pick (which isn't out of the realm of possibility), I would be extremely interested in names like Kerby Rychel, Anthony Mantha, Andre Burakovsky, and Jacob de la Rose.

squidz* 10-04-2012 05:48 PM

While I would love a Seth Jones pick (if we somehow had a top pick in the draft) I think we'd need to go with a natural goal scorer when picking that high. We're very well stocked in our prospect pool, but we really don't have any natural scorers. Everyone is either a two-way, playmaking, or power forward type player. Sure Granlund could put up 20-25 goals in his prime, but who do we have that's actually a threat to be a 30-40 goal scorer? Zucker is really our only "shoot first" type forward prospect worth mentioning, and while many expect to see him in our top six some day, I don't think anyone expects that he'll be a star first liner.

But star goal scorers are few and far between. I expect a couple of our center prospects to be eventually moved to wing, so the order I'd rank my positional preference for a pick is:

Goalscoring forward > Top 4 defenseman > Top 6 forward with size > Other top 6 forward > Anything else

tyratoku 10-04-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danccchan (Post 54768515)
I think we need an talented winger. We are pretty stacked with centers, two-way forwards, and playmakers.

Defensively, we finally got anther bluechip defenseman in Dumba, who will look nicely with Brodin, Scandella and Spurgeon.

But we lack any talent on the wing. I am not convinced quite yet that Zucker or Bulmer can be top line material.

Say we get a top 10-15 pick (which isn't out of the realm of possibility), I would be extremely interested in names like Kerby Rychel, Anthony Mantha, Andre Burakovsky, and Jacob de la Rose.

Well couldn't we still pick up a center and convert him to wing? That way we could still include some of the big name centers?

nickschultzfan 10-04-2012 06:44 PM

Goalscoring forward > Top 4 defenseman > Top 6 forward with size > Other top 6 forward > Anything else.

I'm hoping we make the playoffs and get a pick in the 2nd half of the 1st round. If there is a game-break there, you take him, but when does that ever happen? That's the area for European projects or solid top-4 Dmen (ala Cuma pre-injury).

TZM 10-05-2012 01:49 AM

I only know about the Finns. Artturi Lehkonen is my personal favorite of the draft. I would take him if the pick was later than 15th overall. Realistically he'll be around 40-20. An intriguing prospect for sure.

Minnesota 10-05-2012 03:01 AM

I'm guessing this thread will be the mother of my eventual mock draft baby.

keppel146 10-05-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

true, but im hoping for a top 10 or top 5 pick if the lockout goes the whole year

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyratoku (Post 54769115)
Well couldn't we still pick up a center and convert him to wing? That way we could still include some of the big name centers?

true, i think that could work

Quote:

Originally Posted by TZM (Post 54778133)
I only know about the Finns. Artturi Lehkonen is my personal favorite of the draft. I would take him if the pick was later than 15th overall. Realistically he'll be around 40-20. An intriguing prospect for sure.

loving the international input. we will have to keep an eye out for this guy

TZM 10-05-2012 10:32 AM

Not the best video but it's better than nothing.

Randy BoBandy 10-05-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

I don't see how if given the opportunity to draft a potential #1 center you just pass that up. Sure we look to be needing a scoring winger, at this point but imo centers are much more valuable.

Koivu isn't going to be that guy forever. Granlund is never going to be that guy and everyone currently in our prospect pool are #2s at best. Granlund would be shifted to wing on that second line with Koivu centering when the time came for a young stud to step in and supplant Koivu. Koivu is 30 and lets face it, he ain't going to be top line material in 4 +- 1 years. You might call me stupid but I guarantee that. And where do you get top line centers. Draft them!

Loffer 10-05-2012 11:03 AM

Who is this small weak looking Lehkonen??

Generic User 10-05-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loffer (Post 54782341)
Who is this small weak looking Lehkonen??

Another wobbly saucer passer, mirite Loffer?

Circulartheory 10-05-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patp14 (Post 54782293)
I don't see how if given the opportunity to draft a potential #1 center you just pass that up. Sure we look to be needing a scoring winger, at this point but imo centers are much more valuable.

Koivu isn't going to be that guy forever. Granlund is never going to be that guy and everyone currently in our prospect pool are #2s at best. Granlund would be shifted to wing on that second line with Koivu centering when the time came for a young stud to step in and supplant Koivu. Koivu is 30 and lets face it, he ain't going to be top line material in 4 +- 1 years. You might call me stupid but I guarantee that. And where do you get top line centers. Draft them!

Yes, but if we had a pick in the 10-15 range, we aren't going to get a "potential #1 center".

Loffer 10-05-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Generic User (Post 54782353)
Another wobbly saucer passer, mirite Loffer?

I bet. He would be a risky pick, much more than Granlund was/is. (Though I think Granlund will be just fine when all is said and done.)

Circulartheory 10-05-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loffer (Post 54782841)
I bet. He would be a risky pick, much more than Granlund was/is. (Though I think Granlund will be just fine when all is said and done.)

Difference is, Granlund was a decent 5-10 180lbs when drafted. Lehkonen is a puny 5-9 152lbs.

Generic User 10-05-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danccchan (Post 54782525)
Yes, but if we had a pick in the 10-15 range, we aren't going to get a "potential #1 center you just pass that up".

There's always a chance. Yeah, most likely the "can't miss" center will have been taken- but there's always potential for one. Then there's good to very good centers drafted in this area every year. In the last nine years, these centers were drafted in the 15-30 range:

Ryan Getzlaf (19), Ryan Kesler (23), Mike Richards (24), Travis Zajac (20), Martin Hanzal (17), TJ Oshie (24), Claude Giroux (22), David Perron (27), Jordan Eberle (22).

And these are some very promising prospects drafted in this range:

Chris Kreider (19), Vladimir Tarasenko (16), Nick Bjugstad (19), Evgeny Kuznetsov (26), Charlie Coyle (28), Vladislav Namestnikov (27), Zack Phillips (28).

So obviously it involves some calculated risk to land one of those players. But there is top line potential to be had in the middle of the first round. I wouldn't be against Fletch & Co. picking up another center if they like their chances of becoming a good contributor for us.

Circulartheory 10-05-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Generic User (Post 54783311)
There's always a chance. Yeah, most likely the "can't miss" center will have been taken- but there's always potential for one. Then there's good to very good centers drafted in this area every year. In the last nine years, these centers were drafted in the 15-30 range:

Ryan Getzlaf (19), Ryan Kesler (23), Mike Richards (24), Travis Zajac (20), Martin Hanzal (17), TJ Oshie (24), Claude Giroux (22), David Perron (27), Jordan Eberle (22).

And these are some very promising prospects drafted in this range:

Chris Kreider (19), Vladimir Tarasenko (16), Nick Bjugstad (19), Evgeny Kuznetsov (26), Charlie Coyle (28), Vladislav Namestnikov (27), Zack Phillips (28).

So obviously it involves some calculated risk to land one of those players. But there is top line potential to be had in the middle of the first round. I wouldn't be against Fletch & Co. picking up another center if they like their chances of becoming a good contributor for us.

Well, OBVIOUSLY, later picks can develop into top centers.

Alot of the names that you have pointed out are great players, but on their draft days, have had their own concerns.

For example, Perron was an overager so many were wondering how that has affected him. Eberle has his size. Oshie was from a lower tier league.

I am not saying we have no chance of picking a prospect that might develop into a top player.

What I am saying is, on draft day, we aren't going to pick a player that is both safe and has top line potential. Those type of players are usually picked high in the draft. Later on, you get guys with more question marks, you just have to cross your fingers and hope they develop well post draft (along with good development decisions).

EDIT: As the draft goes on, question marks on each prospect slowly build up. The later the pick, the more questions there are.

TZM 10-05-2012 12:14 PM

I think Lehkonen is 5'11 and 152 lbs.