HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Phoenix's centers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=12681)

Jim 09-19-2003 04:31 PM

Phoenix's centers

I noticed the wealth of centers Phoenix has.....even without Doan playing the pivot. Langkow is a capable 2nd/3rd line center, Hrdina is a skilled...maybe overated...but skilled 2nd line center. Kolanos is up and comming. Gratton, when motivated, can be effective...especially at the draw. Sillinger is responsible and effective at both ends of the ice.

How many of these guys can you keep? You would think with their lack of quality wingers that they would trade one of these guys.

If our situation at center is not resolved within a month into the regular season, i.e. a prospect doesn't become a regular, I think Phoenix is the team to talk with.

Who would best fit our need? I'm sure they won't be trading Kolanos. Langkow vs. Rolston? Is it an upgrade for the second line? Gratton can win the faceoff, but he is too hot and cold. Hrdina doesn't interest me because I think he is kind of a pansy. Sillinger is getting older and is more of a 3rd liner anyways.

In my opinion, we could fill the third line one way or another... be it through Hilbert, Zino or moving Rolston back to his former position.

Maybe Hrdina would thrive with Samsonov and a guy like Lapointe to provide the grit, but I'm still skeptical.

The way I look at it, there aren't too many teams that could afford to give up a center other than Phoenix. If they did, they'd be in the same situation as us....

The Coyotes have an abudance of talent with reasonable contracts...I don't see too many other options without overpaying.

Jim 09-19-2003 04:55 PM

Just curious, would the following move be lateral?

Bos:
Mara
Langkow

Phoenix:
Rolston
Gill

I think Mara is an upgrade over Gill. He provides more offense, is mobile for a big guy, and has a mean streak. Unfortunately he has a poor plus minus, however, he hasn't exactly played on winning clubs.

Rolston and Langkow have put up similar numbers...give the edge to Rolston. However, I think Langkow is a better checker, and he is younger. That said, Phoenix could move Rolston back to wing if they so desire. As it is they need help at that position. Langkow is better at the draw as well, isn't he?

Thoughts?

MeisterBruinmaker 09-19-2003 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim
Just curious, would the following move be lateral?

Bos:
Mara
Langkow

Phoenix:
Rolston
Gill

I think Mara is an upgrade over Gill. He provides more offense, is mobile for a big guy, and has a mean streak. Unfortunately he has a poor plus minus, however, he hasn't exactly played on winning clubs.

Rolston and Langkow have put up similar numbers...give the edge to Rolston. However, I think Langkow is a better checker, and he is younger. That said, Phoenix could move Rolston back to wing if they so desire. As it is they need help at that position. Langkow is better at the draw as well, isn't he?

Thoughts?

Good thoughts - Phoenix has been a target of conversation here several times before. Langkow probably wont get moved because he's proven to be a heart and soul type player. However, you are right in that the Yotes do have a numbers game happening there with Kolanos, Taffe, Gratton & Hrdina. It's tough to say what will happen. From what I know, they really want to work Kolanos into the top 3 lines now, allowing him to play his way up. Gratton can play wing, so that could potentially give them Langkow, Hrdina & Kolanos as the 1-2-3 punch at center.

They really don't have a bonafide #1, and Langkow is taking that role for now. Kolanos is the heir apparent. But the point I'm trying to make is that they have strength in numbers. Because that's the case, and until they know what they have, I don't expect them to make any moves. In other words, it may take some time, perhaps a month or two into the season until they sort it out and roles have been defined.

Gratton's situation will be defined by his performance. Eveybody loves his size, grit and potential, but after he was acquired, he had one assist or something in 11 games with Phoenix. So if he comes out a dud, seeing how he makes $3M, he'll be a tough sell. Hrdina is the only experienced offensive center they have, so he may not be expendable. Who knows what will happen really though, but it's definitely an interesting one to watch.

Another team worth watching is Florida, who has enough centers that Cullen could be expendable. He's not perfect, but he would be a decent #3. I wish the B's could somehow land Arnott though...

Magnus Fulgur 09-19-2003 06:04 PM

Arnott

I think Boynton would be very attractive for Dallas. What else would we have to throw in? Probably Hilbert.

bruinmanny 09-20-2003 03:43 AM

Arnott

Quote:

Originally Posted by wickedbsfan
I think Boynton would be very attractive for Dallas. What else would we have to throw in? Probably Hilbert.

IMO Arnott is one of the most over-rated players in the NHL.People love him because of his size but what has he really done with this attribute.Not much!! He is injury prone and goes through long periods of doing nothing.To give up Boynton and something else is crazy.I wouldn't trade Boynton straight up for Arnott,much less throw in an ok prospect(Hilbert).

JoeIsAStud 09-20-2003 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruinmanny
IMO Arnott is one of the most over-rated players in the NHL.People love him because of his size but what has he really done with this attribute.Not much!! He is injury prone and goes through long periods of doing nothing.To give up Boynton and something else is crazy.I wouldn't trade Boynton straight up for Arnott,much less throw in an ok prospect(Hilbert).

I agree. Honestly I wouldn't make the deal strictly from a Age/Contract point of view.

Arnott is a whole lot older, and a whole lot more expensive.

Now if Dallas were desperate to unload contract and willing to take Hilbert and a pick, than maybe you consider it

but no way do you ive up a young but experienced boarderline Stud D-Man, in what is basically a dalary dump deal by the other team

WBC8 09-20-2003 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruinmanny

I go back to watching Arnott in the play-offs when he was a Devil, and the guy is a FORCE. Of course, you're never sure which Arnott will show up.

Jeff from Maine 09-20-2003 05:49 AM

Couple Things

A couple things...

1. Arnott....regardless of what anyone says, the guy ALWAYS shows up when it counts! He has had a number of very good playoffs and he is a force on the ice. I`d take him for Boyton in a second!

2. Phoenix centers... Sillinger and Gratton are both playing LW as well as center, so a trade for any of the Coyote centers needs to be an upgrade somewhere for Phoenix. They are not as good a fit as they appear! Hrdina also plays a lot of wing!

Later