HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Unpopular Opinions You Have About the Team/Individual Players (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1268385)

KingWantsCup 10-06-2012 12:06 PM

Unpopular Opinions You Have About the Team/Individual Players

In the 09' playoffs against the Caps, I think that Wade Redden was our best defense man throughout the series, despite inadvertently screening Lundqvist which allowed that crushing goal which lead to a 2-1 loss in game 7 of the first round.

I loved Nik Zherdev.

The lockout helps the Rangers more than it hurts because they will have to deal with less injuries from their style of play, and Lundqvist will have maximum rest for the playoffs, which IMO significantly trumps and other goal tender on equivalent rest.

What are some unpopular opinions you have about the team or individual players?

Kershaw 10-06-2012 12:12 PM

Callahan is a terribly overrated player and escapes criticism when he's in the midst of a scoring slump.

Adam Graves shouldn't have his number retired since he wasn't a HOF player. Rangers are a world class original 6 franchise and it's a joke that they lowered the standards for this guy.

John Mitchell helped the team a lot more than he hurt them.

McDonagh 10-06-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tortorella (Post 54805929)
Callahan is a terribly overrated player and escapes criticism when he's in the midst of a scoring slump.

Adam Graves shouldn't have his number retired since he wasn't a HOF player. Rangers are a world class original 6 franchise and it's a joke that they lowered the standards for this guy.

John Mitchell helped the team a lot more than he hurt them.

Agreed on Graves and Mitchell.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 10-06-2012 12:24 PM

I never liked Jaromir Jagr.

Dactyl 10-06-2012 12:43 PM

never liked boyle

NYRSchrute217 10-06-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingWantsCup (Post 54805821)

I loved Nik Zherdev.

The lockout helps the Rangers more than it hurts because they will have to deal with less injuries from their style of play, and Lundqvist will have maximum rest for the playoffs, which IMO significantly trumps and other goal tender on equivalent rest.

Agreed with these. I also don't think McIlrath will amount to much. I think Boyle is crappy and overrated on this boards. And I think Mike Rupp will have a huge bounce back year and prove everyone who called him washed up wrong

Fitzy 10-06-2012 12:50 PM

I thought Girardi did the right thing not taking a 3rd man in penalty in the Carcillo incident.

I thought Rozsival was a good defenseman.

I care little to nothing for "dangles" "cellys" and whatever other pointless flair the kids are into these days.

I thought Frolov was a warrior who showed great effort, just no finish. And I still hold that it was a good signing considering the risk/reward and other market alternatives at the time.

Tanner Glass 10-06-2012 12:50 PM

Seconded on Zherdev

I still loved Drury even after his knee died

Staal is better than girardi and Mcdonagh by a fair margin

Edit: agreed on Frolov

Clowes Line 10-06-2012 12:52 PM

Never really had any emotional attachment to Dubinsky. All I can really think of, although I'm sure it's not an unpopular opinion.

silverfish 10-06-2012 12:58 PM

Didn't mind Rozsival.

Agreed on Graves, though I feel he deserved to have his number retired, there are plenty of other Rangers who I've felt that way about as well. Mainly, Greschner.

I dislike Tortorella, and wasn't really in love with the way the Rangers played last season, despite getting two wins away from the cup :laugh:

When they were drafted I hated the Kreider and McIlrath picks. Now my two favorite prospects in the system.

Even towards the end of his Rangers career, I felt Sean Avery played better hockey than many of the people in the lineup ahead of him. It was a joke that he was cut after the preseason last year.

ColonialsHockey10 10-06-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverfish (Post 54806721)

I dislike Tortorella, and wasn't really in love with the way the Rangers played last season, despite getting two wins away from the cup :laugh:

Even towards the end of his Rangers career, I felt Sean Avery played better hockey than many of the people in the lineup ahead of him. It was a joke that he was cut after the preseason last year.

Strongly agree with these.

I was angry after a lot of our wins last season. Team never clearly dominated a game IMO.

Also agree on Callahan being our most overrated player, and Staal being our clear #1.

BlueShirts88 10-06-2012 01:57 PM

I am hoping the Islanders move away from NY. I bet most people don't agree.

Clowes Line 10-06-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYRangers88 (Post 54807959)
I am hoping the Islanders move away from NY. I bet most people don't agree.

I agree. **** 'em and all their fans.

nyr2k2 10-06-2012 02:09 PM

Loved Rosie. Think Eminger is a good player.

ck20 10-06-2012 02:14 PM

Girardi is one of the worst defensemen we have. Not worse than Bickel or Woywitka, but still pretty awful. And he somehow gets away with everything because he's a minute eater and gets paired with two defensive monsters in Staal and McDonagh who constantly cover his ass.

Also, not Ranger related, but I don't like Iginla.

Rangers79 10-06-2012 03:09 PM

Think Dubinsky was an incredibly overrated Ranger his whole stint
Didn't mind Malik too much
Loved Drury and Dawes

Jabroni 10-06-2012 03:19 PM

Agreed about Rozsival and Zherdev.

Dubinsky never really did anything for me. I finally started to grow fondly of him in 2010-11, but that faded.

Overall, Anisimov I was indifferent about as well. Nothing good or bad, but just meh. I feel the same way about Prust: solid player, but could take him or leave him.

Gaborik's been one of the most valuable Rangers since he came here.

I still like Petr Prucha.

Bob Richards 10-06-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipolar (Post 54806631)
Seconded on Zherdev

I still loved Drury even after his knee died

Staal is better than girardi and Mcdonagh by a fair margin

Edit: agreed on Frolov

Thank you.

ManicSubsidal15 10-06-2012 04:12 PM

I hate Messier. Especially for leaving to Vancouver and when he came back he was washed up and still thought he was '94 Mess. Even in Theo Fleury's book he mentioned Messier refused to not be played on the first units for PP and PK even when he was too old to be effective. Also all the rumors about him running Zubov, Norstrom, Kovalev and others out of town to bring in his old buddies.

M Gaz 10-06-2012 04:34 PM

I liked (and still like) Gilroy. I never liked Gretzky much (not too shocking I guess). I loved Prucha and Hossa. I actually blame Hank when he lets in a bad goal. I was one of 3 people on this planet who didn't want to trade Gaborik after the playoffs.

McDonagh 10-06-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManicSubsidal15 (Post 54810107)
I hate Messier. Especially for leaving to Vancouver and when he came back he was washed up and still thought he was '94 Mess. Even in Theo Fleury's book he mentioned Messier refused to not be played on the first units for PP and PK even when he was too old to be effective. Also all the rumors about him running Zubov, Norstrom, Kovalev and others out of town to bring in his old buddies.

Yes, I agree with this one too. I was too young/didn't follow hockey in 1994 so I guess I don't have that attachment to him. The Messier I know is the washed up one you talk about.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 10-06-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManicSubsidal15 (Post 54810107)

Kovalev was dealt for Nedved — never one of Messier's favs. Messier also was in Vancouver when the Rangers dealt Kovalev. I have a hard time believing he wanted Zubov gone.

EDIT: I would take anything Theo Fleury "says" with a grain of salt.

ADDITIONAL EDIT: You can hate Mess for leaving to go to Vancouver. But it was Neil Smith who more or less packed hs bags and called for a car to take him to the airport. In hindsight, Smith made the right call. Mess was a player on the decline. The mistake he made was the team should have started rebuilding right then and there. That team had no business being on the same ice as a team like the Flyers.

OH MY GOD, ANOTHER EDIT: For the record, I don't think they should have brought Mess back when they did. That was just Glen Sather throwing money around and making PR feel good moves, not hockey moves.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 10-06-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McDonagh (Post 54810711)
Yes, I agree with this one too. I was too young/didn't follow hockey in 1994 so I guess I don't have that attachment to him. The Messier I know is the washed up one you talk about.

I don't think not having an attachment to a guy and hating him aren't one in the same.

McDonagh 10-06-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 54811315)
I don't think not having an attachment to a guy and hating him aren't one in the same.

Oops, when I said I agreed with it I meant I can relate to it. My bad. Just not a Messier guy.

Callagraves 10-06-2012 05:38 PM

I'm sick to death of hearing about '94.

Those of us who remember, even if only barely, aren't going to forget. Those of us who don't are even more sick.

Time to move on.