HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Speculation: In the 2010 SCF if Boucher was in net, do we have a better chance? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1268579)

Krishna 10-06-2012 11:45 PM

In the 2010 SCF if Boucher was in net, do we have a better chance?
 
The last few days I've been watching the 2010 playoffs since there's no hockey on yet and I've been wondering if we had a better chance if Boucher was healthy an in net as compared to Leighton in net.

I'll leave the Carter missed shot in the last few mins of game 6 out of the conversation even though he should have buried that.

Let me start off by saying that both Leighton and Boucher were products of our great D that year but Boucher was a much better goalie overall. In the series, if Boucher is in net, I think we have a much better chance to take the series. Niemi was not very good in the finals to be honest. He was only marginally better than Leighton.

Game one :

Goal one : nice shot but I think Boucher saves that one
Goal two : Hard to fault goalies on breakaways, but that one should have been saved by either goalie in net.
Goal three : Getting beat on a 2 on 1 is excusable but that glove attempt was terrible
Goal four : He just leaves the whole side of the net open for Versteeg
Goal five : I fault this one to the defense.. After this Boucher came in
Goal six : Boucher played this one terribly. He never should have been out that far to stop a shot..

Leighton : 15 saves on 20 shots.. in 35 minutes
Boucher : 11 save on 12 shots in 24 minutes

Game two :


Goal one : Leighton makes the first save and lets the rebound get to hossa for the goal
Goal two : Beat by Eager just 28 seconds later with a shot past his glove.. this totally deflated the team.

Leighton : 24 saves on 26 shots in 59 minutes

Game three :


Goal one : Hard to see off the replay.. IIRC he gets beat glove side again
Goal two : Goal off the faceoff right past him
Goal three : this save attempt would make Bryz in the shootout look good..

Leighton : 24 saves on 27 shots in 65 mins

Game four :


Goal one : Beaten glove side again.. Think he may have gotten a piece of it
Goal two : 5 on 3 and hard to blame a tape to tape slap pass by kane to bolland
Goal three : Deflected by timonen

Leighton : 31 saves on 34 shots in 60 minutes

Game five :


Goal one : Looks like he leaves his five hole very open and Seabrook buries it
Goal two : Deflects it past the net and bolland pushes the puck towards the crease and it goes in off leighton's skate
Goal three : Beaten by a weak wrist shot past him. pulled after this
Goal four : Boucher plays this one terribly.
Goal five : Believe this one was on the PP and Byfuglien beats him five hole
Goal six : Barely even a save attempt here.
Goal seven : Empty net

Leighton : 10 save on 13 shots in 20 mins. Pulled after the first period
Boucher : 11 saves on 14 shots in 40 mins

Game six :


Goal one : Defense falls apart as Byfuglien buries it
Goal two : Another terrible shot goes in on leighton.. Think it goes by his glove side
Goal three : Deflection by Ladd.. hard to blame Leighton here
Goal four : I won't even address this other than the fact that this shot is about a 1 in 20 thousand chance on going in. An ECHL goalie could save this shot.

Leighton : 37 saves on 41 shots in 64 minutes.

Flyerfan4life 10-07-2012 12:04 AM

i like how in both games were Boucher was put in, the first goal he allows you said he played it terribly, then make a post about how you feel we would have gone farther with him..

realy ???

who knows what could have been, but the fact is Boucher suks.

he should have hung up his skates awhile ago

Krishna 10-07-2012 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life (Post 54818405)
i like how in both games were Boucher was put in, the first goal he allows you said he played it terribly, then make a post about how you feel we would have gone farther with him..

realy ???

who knows what could have been, but the fact is Boucher suks.

he should have hung up his skates awhile ago

Playing one or two goals wrong isn't the same as playing 10 or so wrong.

Jtown 10-07-2012 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life (Post 54818405)
i like how in both games were Boucher was put in, the first goal he allows you said he played it terribly, then make a post about how you feel we would have gone farther with him..

realy ???

who knows what could have been, but the fact is Boucher suks.

he should have hung up his skates awhile ago

I agree, Boucher is an idiot for still playing in the nhl. He should have quit a long time ago instead of having to play and make millions doing a once in a lifetime time job.

sa cyred 10-07-2012 12:14 AM

One will never know. Some people here loved Boosh just because we drafted him and he was a good guy. Overall though, he wasn't THAT much better than Leighton and Leighton was terrible. Just like Leighton, Boosh would let in 1-2 real bad goals a game, along with the good shots the other teams would put in.

In the end, I disagree with how much better you are saying Boucher was compared to Leighton. I think they were both equally bad and the outcome was the same. Remember, Boucher STRUGGLED during the season going 9-18-3 with a 2.76 GAA and a .899 SV%. There is no evidence he wouldnt have struggled in later parts of playoffs also.

Now I think the case could have been made with Emery in net.

laundryman 10-07-2012 12:47 AM

What was frustrating about the Chicago series was how well Leighton had played against Montreal. Granted, we spanked Montreal because we were very physical with a smaller team and the defense was great, but Leighton looked pretty good from what I remember

Then he just collapsed against Chicago. I don't think Boucher changes anything about that series. Neither of them would have been better than Niemi at that point

dats81 10-07-2012 06:09 AM

Playing Boosh was like flipping a coin: he would either dominate and look like a proven No1 or he would completely falter letting in several weak ones.

Drydenwasthebest 10-07-2012 06:45 AM

Actually, you guys should have had Halak playing. A rumoured deal at the time was Montreal looking at sending Halak to Philly for JvR. I think both teams would have been happier if that trade had gone through. Halak in nets would have gotten you a Cup, and a healthy JvR in our top 6 would have made it much stronger (assuming he doesn't get injured like he did).

Haute Couturier 10-07-2012 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laundryman (Post 54818925)
What was frustrating about the Chicago series was how well Leighton had played against Montreal. Granted, we spanked Montreal because we were very physical with a smaller team and the defense was great, but Leighton looked pretty good from what I remember

Then he just collapsed against Chicago. I don't think Boucher changes anything about that series. Neither of them would have been better than Niemi at that point

During the first three rounds the Flyers played teams with terrible offenses. Chicago was the only great offense they faced. I wasn't surprised to see him struggle versus a real team. The East was really weak that year.



Quote:

Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest (Post 54820491)
Actually, you guys should have had Halak playing. A rumoured deal at the time was Montreal looking at sending Halak to Philly for JvR. I think both teams would have been happier if that trade had gone through. Halak in nets would have gotten you a Cup, and a healthy JvR in our top 6 would have made it much stronger (assuming he doesn't get injured like he did).

There was a report that Montreal offered Halak for a 2nd round pick and the Flyers turned it down. :shakehead

Haute Couturier 10-07-2012 08:02 AM

To answer the OP, Boucher isn't a good goalie either so I wouldn't have felt much more confident about their chances with him starting in that series.

YuioIklo 10-07-2012 10:04 AM

Without Leighton, I don't think the epic comeback happens, honestly. Besides game 7, he was solid in that serie. So there's no finals without him. We gotta give him some credit, I'm kinda sick of the Leighton bashing, the excuses "it was our strong defense", "we played against poor offensive teams". No, Leighton was good against Boston and Montreal. Give him the credit he deserves.

GKJ 10-07-2012 10:32 AM

We were on such a high, and Montreal was just so done after two 7-game wars where it was basically Halak and Cammalleri by themselves, that I think anyone would have been in net, and we would have beaten Montreal.

On the flip side, I don't think the Finals would have turned out different with Boucher in net. We went from beating up on a team that could score, to 3 goals not being enough to win 5 of 6 games in the Finals. It was two bad choices, but during that season Leighton did have a penchant of being able to come back after an awful game. Unlike in the finals though, he had to bounce back against the same team, and that doesn't really work in a long series.

RevUpThoseGolfCarts 10-07-2012 03:05 PM

.No.

hckyplayer8 10-07-2012 03:09 PM

Are you kidding me?

One of the main reasons we made it past Boston is because the giant dim wit Boosh got hurt.

As much as he lost us the cup, MFL he helped us get past Boston. He was huge in that series.

Played very solid in all games except the start of GM7.

tuckrr 10-09-2012 01:48 AM

watching this made me sick (and miss hockey)

BrindamoursNose 10-09-2012 09:08 AM

No. We wouldn't have.

FlyersFan61290 10-09-2012 10:33 AM

I don't think they win with Boosh but with that said ill take Boosh over leighton any day of the week.

bendersauce 10-09-2012 01:31 PM

thanks for re-opening these wounds:cry:

Snotbubbles 10-09-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 (Post 54829067)
Are you kidding me?

One of the main reasons we made it past Boston is because the giant dim wit Boosh got hurt.

As much as he lost us the cup, MFL he helped us get past Boston. He was huge in that series.

Played very solid in all games except the start of GM7.

To go even further back, they don't even make the playoffs without Leighton. Boucher was god awful during the regular season. Leighton played half-decent which is all that team needed from its goaltender. What could have been if Emery hadn't gotten hurt?

Haute Couturier 10-09-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snotbubbles (Post 54870269)
To go even further back, they don't even make the playoffs without Leighton. Boucher was god awful during the regular season. Leighton played half-decent which is all that team needed from its goaltender. What could have been if Emery hadn't gotten hurt?

Judging by Emery's career numbers it's hard to say he would have kept up his performance if he remained healthy.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.