HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   News Article: Bryzgalov thinks some russian players might stay in khl (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1268627)

Drydenwasthebest 10-07-2012 06:48 AM

Bryzgalov thinks some russian players might stay in khl

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406898

How would Flyers' fans react if he did? I think it would benefit their cap, but would it hurt them to lose their only real #1 goalie? Who would replace him?

Comments?

Krishna 10-07-2012 07:05 AM

We were already talking about this in another thread..

After Bryz there isn't much aside from Hovinen who has looked pretty bad so far this year

And russians wont stay there. It's just posturing. If they stay in russia, they wouldnt be able to play in any IIHF international events like the Olympics.. Is a russian player going to give up a chance of playing in the olympics at home? Nope.

Haute Couturier 10-07-2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest (Post 54820499)
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406898

How would Flyers' fans react if he did? I think it would benefit their cap, but would it hurt them to lose their only real #1 goalie? Who would replace him?

Comments?

It would hurt them if there is a season this year because Leighton would be their #1. :amazed: Long term they should be able to find someone just as capable.

Devastate 10-07-2012 11:05 AM

If bryz stays does Paul kick some Luongo tires?

Beef Invictus 10-07-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devastate (Post 54822799)

I would cry.

Haute Couturier 10-07-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devastate (Post 54822799)

Only if his contract is bought out by Vancouver.

GKJ 10-07-2012 12:07 PM

I think it's an empty threat/posture to the owners. Anyone who violates their NHL contract (in turn their KHL one as well) will be suspended by the IIHF for the Olympics, so, no, nothing's going to happen.

TheDrizzle81 10-07-2012 12:09 PM

i hope he stays. im praying he stays. he blows.

BringBackStevens 10-07-2012 12:33 PM

As much as I dont really like him, that would be such a nightmare scenario. Michael Leighton as the starter again

Jack de la Hoya 10-07-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKJ (Post 54823885)
I think it's an empty threat/posture to the owners. Anyone who violates their NHL contract (in turn their KHL one as well) will be suspended by the IIHF for the Olympics, so, no, nothing's going to happen.

That's the consensus, and it's probably true.

Devil's advocate: if the new CBA contains a mandatory salary rollback, and Ovechkin and co. resign from the NHLPA before deal is ratified, is it possible (though not probable) that the IIHF would find room to allow the players out of their existing contracts, for the purposes of international eligibility.

I have no idea whether that position has any basis in law--actually, I suspect it doesnt--but it is possible that that series of events would be enough to allow the IIHF to bow to what would be absurd pressure from Russian hockey.

moosehead81 10-07-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya (Post 54824761)
That's the consensus, and it's probably true.

Devil's advocate: if the new CBA contains a mandatory salary rollback, and Ovechkin and co. resign from the NHLPA before deal is ratified, is it possible (though not probable) that the IIHF would find room to allow the players out of their existing contracts, for the purposes of international eligibility.

I have no idea whether that position has any basis in law--actually, I suspect it doesnt--but it is possible that that series of events would be enough to allow the IIHF to bow to what would be absurd pressure from Russian hockey.

You're right- there's no telling which way it would go over the long term; Ovechkin and Malkin say screw you and remain playing in the KHL (I don't think the KHL honors NHL contracts and vice versa). Russia threatens to pull its team out of the Olympics (likely not since the next games are in Sochi) unless their players can play and the IIHF is liable to do all sorts of things. And it may only take a couple of European players to start the ball rolling and you'll end up with an all North America NHL.

hckyplayer8 10-07-2012 02:25 PM

Bryz off to another slow start. Color me surprised.

funghoul 10-07-2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BringBackStevens (Post 54824589)
As much as I dont really like him, that would be such a nightmare scenario. Michael Leighton as the starter again

the more i think about this with the pressure thats off him and goin back and ridin the bus and with him knowin the pressure on bryz, i think there's an insanely solid chance he takes over at some point anyway. he had a great year that year aside from game 1 and game 6 clincher but it was the finals. how could bryz abandon his contract tho? wouldn't it be up to the flyers to release him and considering what they've done to get him i doubt they'd let this happen after one mediocre season. his bad play was exaggerated because of his contract. we expected patrick roy and we got andy moog.

GoneFullHextall 10-07-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 (Post 54827759)
Bryz off to another slow start. Color me surprised.

none of those goals were his fault

system and the defense.

:sarcasm:

sa cyred 10-07-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren (Post 54836473)
none of those goals were his fault

system and the defense.

:sarcasm:

That damn coach and his system.

The CSKA players just hate him and like the other goalie better

:)

Honestly though, maybe its because I havent seen him let in two soft goals a game in awhile but I would easily take him over Leighton or anyone else we have in the system.

At the moment, Heeter is beating Hoivnen as to staying on the Phantoms. Heard Heeter looked really good this preseason.

orange is better 10-07-2012 10:26 PM

Hypothetically, if bryzgalov decided to stay in russia and play as opposed to returning to the NHL, i doubt that the prospect of being ineligible for olympic play would affect him, considering he probably wouldn't be in the position to play for the olympic squad regardless...

DrinkFightFlyers 10-08-2012 07:35 AM

Wouldn't surprise me if a couple guys stayed, but I don't think anyone of any real significance will.

Jtown 10-08-2012 07:39 AM

No way Bryz stays in the KHL. His contract is too good to pass up in the NHL.

Krishna 10-08-2012 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jtown (Post 54841409)

Not to mention that he isn't getting much playing time there

GKJ 10-08-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange is better (Post 54837757)
Hypothetically, if bryzgalov decided to stay in russia and play as opposed to returning to the NHL, i doubt that the prospect of being ineligible for olympic play would affect him, considering he probably wouldn't be in the position to play for the olympic squad regardless...

Yeah he would. In 2010, Russia took a lot of heat for not playing Bryzgalov, and threw Nabokov under the bus. That's a long time ago now, all considered, but Russia doesn't have much in the way of goaltending, you could see a Bryzgalov-Bobrovsky reunion in Sochi.

Russians love Russia more than life itself, it's been a dream to these guys to play in the Olympics for Russia, in Russia.

Krishna 10-08-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKJ (Post 54841593)
Yeah he would. In 2010, Russia took a lot of heat for not playing Bryzgalov, and threw Nabokov under the bus. That's a long time ago now, all considered, but Russia doesn't have much in the way of goaltending, you could see a Bryzgalov-Bobrovsky reunion in Sochi.

Russians love Russia more than life itself, it's been a dream to these guys to play in the Olympics for Russia, in Russia.

I would think Bryz-Varlamov or Varlamov-Bob is more likely to happen

MsWoof 10-08-2012 08:18 AM

Has Bryz made any comments about playing for Russia? What is his relationship with the guys who are in charge over there? I remember when Russia played Canada in the 2010 QF at the Olympics and Nabakov was in net, they kept showing Bryz on the bench. They finally brought him into the game but it was too late.

Krishna 10-08-2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsWoof (Post 54841691)
Has Bryz made any comments about playing for Russia? What is his relationship with the guys who are in charge over there? I remember when Russia played Canada in the 2010 QF at the Olympics and Nabakov was in net, they kept showing Bryz on the bench. They finally brought him into the game but it was too late.

I'm pretty sure last year when Ovechkin made the comment about going to play in the olympics even if the NHL doesn't let them that he would like the opportunity to play for russia..

As for his relationship with the people in charge, no idea

spudnick 10-08-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haute Couturier (Post 54820883)
It would hurt them if there is a season this year because Leighton would be their #1. :amazed: Long term they should be able to find someone just as capable.

I'll take Leighton at 1 year if that means we can get out out of the ****sgolov contract

CSKA1974 10-08-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jtown (Post 54841409)

IMO, it was just posturing- Russian speaking Bryz gave interview in English to the Russian speaking reporter, clearly it was intended to be heard across Atlantic.

Bryz had stated previously (years past) that he would not return to KHL permanently due to inferior levels in skills, competition and organization.

Additionally, he understands that contrary to NHL contracts, KHL contracts are not guaranteed and can be terminated almost at will.

He will be back- for better or for worse....