HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Speculation: Mike Kostka? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1269505)

Komarov47 10-10-2012 01:23 AM

Mike Kostka?

Hello Leafs Nation ! I followed closely Norfolk in AHL last year and one guy was huge in this team : Mike Kostka. He signed this summer with the Marlies, and read that Eakins was pretty much impressed with him recently. Do you believe Kostka could be an early call this season ? Assuming Gunnarsson/Phaneuf/Komisarek/Liles is set up and Gardiner is one step above the other prospect, is it a game between Holzer, Kostka and maybe Rieilly? Thanks guys.

The Iceman 10-10-2012 01:57 AM

I would guess Ranger to be in the mix as the 1st call-up.

Borjes Baumingdyk 10-10-2012 02:30 AM

I hope I'm wrong, but each lockout has been longer than the others. But I believe he'll be a part of the Marlies run for the Calder. What was yours is ours this year. :nod:

Cyris 10-10-2012 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Iceman (Post 54882967)
I would guess Ranger to be in the mix as the 1st call-up.

Ranger isnt Leafs property and cant be called up.

The Nic 10-10-2012 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyris (Post 54883699)

Hmmm... I wonder if Leafs management might be able to convince Marlies management to let him go so he can sign with us...

thewave 10-10-2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Nic (Post 54883867)
Hmmm... I wonder if Leafs management might be able to convince Marlies management to let him go so he can sign with us...

Pretty tough sell, the board of directors will all have to get together the with gm and asst gm go into the 3000sq/ft washroom stand beside eachother looking at the mirror wall and have a heated discussion with themselves to make it happen.

Mess 10-10-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyris (Post 54883699)

Mike Kostka was given an NHL contract, while Ranger only an AHL tryout contract (PTO).

So its true only Kostka can be recalled at present for the Leafs, without first Ranger being signed to an NHL deal.

Logically based on NHL potential, I would have thought it should have been the other way around.

Northern Dancer 10-10-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mess (Post 54886561)
Mike Kostka was given an NHL contract, while Ranger only an AHL tryout contract (PTO).

So its true only Kostka can be recalled at present for the Leafs, without first Ranger being signed to an NHL deal.

Logically based on NHL potential, I would have thought it should have been the other way around.

Is the answer perhaps, if Ranger signed an NHL contract he would be ineligible to play with the Marlies to start the year without clearing waivers? In other words by signing an AHL contract is actually the best avenue assuming Ranger wants to eventually play for the Leafs.

KlattNazty 10-10-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern Dancer (Post 54886751)
Is the answer perhaps, if Ranger signed an NHL contract he would be ineligible to play with the Marlies to start the year without clearing waivers? In other words by signing an AHL contract is actually the best avenue assuming Ranger wants to eventually play for the Leafs.

im gunna side with ND on this, i think i recall reading somewhere that this was in fact an issue

Mess 10-10-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern Dancer (Post 54886751)

Clearing waivers ??

Ranger was a UFA and could sign with anyone he wanted, so that means the other 29 other NHL teams could have offered him a contract and not required to wait to steal him on waivers from the Leafs.

Secondly an AHL contract doesn't make him Leaf exclusive property either, as any team not only the Leafs could offer Ranger an NHL contract (when the lockout ends), and steal him away without waivers even being an issue blocking that event.

So Ranger will need to decide if someone else comes calling offering him NHL employment, if he chooses to accept it or not or hope someday the Leafs offer him one.

In terms of NHL potential based on Ranger already proving he is capable of playing in the NHL he would be ahead of Kostka in that regard when talking about NHL employment.. However in terms of NHL contracts and NHL opportunities Kostka is ahead based on the types of contracts both players currently have.

As far as Ranger is concerned he is a UFA for all intents and purposes at present, with only a temporary working visa allowing him to play in the AHL. Mike Kostka on the other hand is actual Leaf property, was signed as a UFA and if he impresses in his AHL performance can earn himself a Leaf opportunity for employment upon recall.

Northern Dancer 10-10-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mess (Post 54887257)
Clearing waivers ??

Ranger was a UFA and could sign with anyone he wanted, so that means the other 29 other NHL teams could have offered him a contract and not required to wait to steal him on waivers from the Leafs.

Secondly an AHL contract doesn't make him Leaf exclusive property either, as any team not only the Leafs could offer Ranger an NHL contract (when the lockout ends), and steal him away without waivers even being an issue blocking that event.

So Ranger will need to decide if someone else comes calling offering him NHL employment, if he chooses to accept it or not or hope someday the Leafs offer him one.

In terms of NHL potential based on Ranger already proving he is capable of playing in the NHL he would be ahead of Kostka in that regard when talking about NHL employment.. However in terms of NHL contracts and NHL opportunities Kostka is ahead based on the types of contracts both players currently have.

As far as Ranger is concerned he is a UFA for all intents and purposes at present, with only a temporary working visa allowing him to play in the AHL. Mike Kostka on the other hand is actual Leaf property, was signed as a UFA and if he impresses in his AHL performance can earn himself a Leaf opportunity for employment.

You missed the entire point !!! You questioned why the Leafs empire signed Ranger to an AHL contract not an NHL contract and I explained a possible answer. I have no idea what your above rant is all about.

Grant 10-10-2012 11:10 AM

I think what Northern is saying is:

Kostka played in the AHL last year. He signed an NHL contract (2 way) but since he played in the AHL last season he is elgible to play in the AHL again this year.

Ranger did not play in the AHL last year. Therefore if he signed an NHL contract (2 way) he would not be elgible to play in the AHL this season. So for him to be guaranteed to play some hockey he signed an AHL contract.

Is this correct? The contract statuses usually confuse me haha.

DirtyDion03 10-10-2012 11:14 AM

People need to remember Ranger said the Leafs approached him. They asked him to come play for the Marlies. Teams didn't know they had a shot at Paul Ranger.

Northern Dancer 10-10-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant (Post 54887539)

Kostka played in the AHL last year. He signed an NHL contract (2 way) but since he played in the AHL last season he is elgible to play in the AHL again this year.

Ranger did not play in the AHL last year. Therefore if he signed an NHL contract (2 way) he would not be elgible to play in the AHL this season. So for him to be guaranteed to play some hockey he signed an AHL contract.

Thank-you, that is exactly what I meant. Who knows maybe Ranger wanted to make a little walking around money while the lock-out is on as he has been out of work for 3 years.

I think this is the most rationale approach opposed to the insinuation that the Leaf brain-trust had screwed things up.

Mess 10-10-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant (Post 54887539)

Ranger did not play in the AHL last year. Therefore if he signed an NHL contract (2 way) he would not be eligible to play in the AHL this season. So for him to be guaranteed to play some hockey he signed an AHL contract.

Nope not correct.

The AHL was setting a temporary rule during the lockout as to who was eligible to play in their league during that event, and didn't want a bunch of NHLers being sent to a development league.

The AHL based that decision on players currently playing in the NHL.. Ranger wasn't even in professional hockey the past few years, and wouldn't therefore be considered a demoted locked-out NHLer. So in his attempt to re-enter the hockey world the AHL would be the ideal place for him to do so..

If the AHL didn't want him in their league they wouldn't have allowed a PTO (professional tryout contract) either in order for Ranger to play for the Marlies.. So its not the contract type that is the factor in Ranger ability to play in the AHL this year, had he signed a 2-way NHL one or a AHL one its the same end result as far as they're concerned.

Otherwise what's the difference?

smoke meat pete* 10-10-2012 11:22 AM

On Ranger in Toronto:

Quote:

When the season ended, Ranger went into the gym and started working towards a comeback. He had simple goals at first: get back into game shape and hope some team would take a chance on him.

The Leafs were the first to call, offering a one-year American Hockey League contract.

“He never left our radar,” said Dave Poulin, the team’s vice-president of hockey operations. “But it had to be totally on the player’s time.”

“I didn’t really think about playing anywhere else, to be honest,” Ranger said. “This was a little bit of a blessing in disguise, you could say. I wanted to play here. I’ve thought about it actually for a year. It’s great to be home. I love my family and friends. It’s been a bit of a tough road, but it feels great to be here.”

smitty10 10-10-2012 11:28 AM

When/if the NHL season starts he'll be pretty high on the list. Both Gardiner and Holzer will move up to the Leafs and the only guys on that team I can see being ahead of him are Fraser and Ranger (no NHL contract). If we lose Liles, Kostka could see some time.

eyeball11 10-10-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 (Post 54887619)
People need to remember Ranger said the Leafs approached him. They asked him to come play for the Marlies. Teams didn't know they had a shot at Paul Ranger.

I too thought that was pretty obvious and am confused by rant?

ACC1224 10-10-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern Dancer (Post 54887667)
Thank-you, that is exactly what I meant. Who knows maybe Ranger wanted to make a little walking around money while the lock-out is on as he has been out of work for 3 years.

I think this is the most rationale approach opposed to the insinuation that the Leaf brain-trust had screwed things up.

Is that not the default position of many?

Northern Dancer 10-10-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mess (Post 54887801)
Nope not correct.

The AHL was setting a temporary rule during the lockout as to who was eligible to play in their league during that event, and didn't want a bunch of NHLers being sent to a development league.

The AHL based that decision on players currently playing in the NHL.. Ranger wasn't even in professional hockey the past few years, and wouldn't therefore be considered a demoted locked-out NHLer. So in his attempt to re-enter the hockey world the AHL would be the ideal place for him to do so..

If the AHL didn't want him in their league they wouldn't have allowed a PTO (professional tryout contract) either in order for Ranger to play for the Marlies.. So its not the contract type that is the factor in Ranger ability to play in the AHL this year, had he signed a 2-way NHL one or a AHL one its the same end result as far as they're concerned.

Otherwise what's the difference?

I'm not an expert Mess but I think this is wrong. Ranger has played more than 160 NHL games, he is waiver eligible. I think that is the criteria not "they didn't want a bunch of NHL'ers being sent to a developmental league".

Northern Dancer 10-10-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeball11 (Post 54887965)
I too thought that was pretty obvious and am confused by rant?

I think we know what the rant was all about. ;)

Mess 10-10-2012 12:16 PM

Based on current contract status Mike Kostka is auditioning for one team the Leafs, while Paul Ranger is auditioning for 30 based on their AHL performances in hopes of NHL employment.

Paul Ranger has played 270 NHL games and produced 92 NHL points to date, while Mike Kostka has played 0 and produced 0.

Mike Kostka (Born Nov 28 1985) is about to turn 27 years old, while Paul Ranger (Born Sep 12 1984) is currently 28..

The window of NHL opportunity is closing for both players, based on age particularly for Kostka as he needs to prove he can play at the NHL level, while Ranger must prove that he can't any longer.

These are the facts as they currently exist.

Northern Dancer 10-10-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mess (Post 54889009)
Based on current contract status Mike Kostka is auditioning for one team the Leafs, while Paul Ranger is auditioning for 30 based on their AHL performances in hopes of NHL employment.

Paul Ranger has played 270 NHL games and produced 92 NHL points to date, while Mike Kostka has played 0 and produced 0.

Mike Kostka (Born Nov 28 1985) is about to turn 27 years old, while Paul Ranger (Born Sep 12 1984) is currently 28..

The window of NHL opportunity is closing for both players, based on age particularly for Kostka as he needs to prove he can play at the NHL level, while Ranger must prove that he can't any longer.

This is Mess's story and he is sticking to it.

Ricky Bobby 10-10-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiccy McHaggis (Post 54882769)
Hello Leafs Nation ! I followed closely Norfolk in AHL last year and one guy was huge in this team : Mike Kostka. He signed this summer with the Marlies, and read that Eakins was pretty much impressed with him recently. Do you believe Kostka could be an early call this season ? Assuming Gunnarsson/Phaneuf/Komisarek/Liles is set up and Gardiner is one step above the other prospect, is it a game between Holzer, Kostka and maybe Rieilly? Thanks guys.

No.

Possibly a late season call up once injuries occur and at least one or both of Franson and Komisarek are traded prior to the deadline when Dmens value is at a premium.

Mess 10-10-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiccy McHaggis (Post 54882769)

If by age 27 which Kostka is turning, a player has yet to play his first NHL game than the odds are not in his favour to do so.

Every year a new batch of young players come along join teams that present much more future promise, and have years ahead to prove that still as they develop.

Career AHLers like Kostka having to compete not only against current NHL's for employment, but a never ending supply of younger players coming behind them with the same desires as their own, makes for slim odds as years pass. Keep in mind Kostka was never drafted by an NHL team in the past but an undrafted College UFA signed to play professional hockey in the AHL, so his resume is not listing "once promising" prospect.

I don't believe Kostka was signed by Toronto in hopes he would become an NHLer some day, but rather to occupy one of the veteran positions and provide experience and mentoring for Leafs younger Dmen on the Marlies during their development.