HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   OT: Official "Ottawa RedBlacks" Thread Part I: "Embarrassing Logo" Edition (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1269895)

Jerk Store 10-11-2012 08:26 AM

Official "Ottawa RedBlacks" Thread Part I: "Embarrassing Logo" Edition

Ottawa Highlanders

Hey guys and gals!

So, it seems that the CFL group plans on holding some sort of contest to name the team. So I guess now's as good a time as ever to start sharing some details of the proposal I have been working on for the past year.

I first met up with local sports historian Jim McAuley around this time last year to discuss finding a name for the CFL franchise. We looked over old photos and such, and talked about the name Rough Riders. One thing that came up was Theodore Roosevelt's elite army called the Rough Riders, and that sparked a research into military themes that would resonate with Ottawa.

During my research, I stumbled upon the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa. Thought it had a cool sound to it so did more research and found out some pretty interesting stuff:

1. The Camerons Highlanders are Ottawa's official regiment
2. In WWII, they were the first to land at the battle of Normandy
3. During WWII, the Camerons were stationed at Landsdown before taking off for the war. During their time there, they helped out cleaning the Rough Riders locker rooms and got to watch games.
4. The regiment was formed of two battalions, the 1st and the second, with the first being the soldiers leaving for war and the second staying back to recruit and train. Nothing special here but thought there was a bit of a parallel with the actual team and the extensive coaching staff of a football team.

So, Jim and I teamed up with Rocket 57 Illustration to get to work on branding. Our main goal was to demystify the Scottish connotation the name might have and make it clear that it was an hommage to the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa. The reason being that the Ottawa population might be aware of the reference, but the general public wouldn't. We wanted to keep the brand away from anything too modern looking. So after many iterations of the logo(s), we finally got the look we were looking for.

In february of this year, our team met with the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa and presented our proposal. They shared stories and provided insights into their history. Turned out that at some point, prior to being called the Camerons, they were actually the Ottawa Highlanders.

So, since then we've been waiting to share our work with the people of Ottawa/Gatineau. I will wait for an official announcement from the team to present the whole thing, but I will share a teaser later on today :) Hope you like it!

Marty Straka 10-11-2012 09:05 AM

Exciting news! looking forward to it

chrewilson 10-11-2012 09:07 AM

I like it and I'm excited to see the "teaser"

Buck Aki Berg 10-11-2012 09:08 AM

It'll be hard to rid the name of the 'Scottish' connotation and link it to the Cameron Highlander regiment, especially in a national context (we'll know in Ottawa, but you just know that every road game, the stands will be full of furrowed brows and people asking why we went with a "Scottish name" :laugh:), but that doesn't stop me from liking it :nod:

Jerk Store 10-11-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg (Post 54907829)
It'll be hard to rid the name of the 'Scottish' connotation and link it to the Cameron Highlander regiment, especially in a national context (we'll know in Ottawa, but you just know that every road game, the stands will be full of furrowed brows and people asking why we went with a "Scottish name" :laugh:), but that doesn't stop me from liking it :nod:

That's why we concentrated or efforts on creating a logo that would represent the regiment ;)

Upgrayedd 10-11-2012 09:23 AM

Seems like an interesting concept JS, too bad RoughRiders is off the table as part of the re-entrance agreement....listening to the radio this morning it sounds like they want to keep the "R" theme....perhaps something like Ottawa Royals, or Ottawa Regals.....kind of hard when you want to stay with an R name

Jerk Store 10-11-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Upgrayedd (Post 54908035)
Seems like an interesting concept JS, too bad RoughRiders is off the table as part of the re-entrance agreement....listening to the radio this morning it sounds like they want to keep the "R" theme....perhaps something like Ottawa Royals, or Ottawa Regals.....kind of hard when you want to stay with an R name

Well, the R has obvious ties to the team, but we found the link between the Camerons' and Landsdown quite interesting in its own way

Buckleys 10-11-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerk Store (Post 54908125)
Well, the R has obvious ties to the team, but we found the link between the Camerons' and Landsdown quite interesting in its own way

Looking forward to seeing the teaser. I could buy into this name, I just hope the logo is fairly simplistic and nothing like the Minnesota Wild.

Margaret Trudeau* 10-11-2012 09:53 AM

I'd rather something without war connotations.

Qward 10-11-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Upgrayedd (Post 54908035)

The Ottawa Renators!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Trudeau (Post 54908561)

I personally like the idea. It is not promoting war, it is promoting our history. As time goes on, we have less and less people that remember the war or were in it. Anything that might spark a youths interest in learning more about our role in WWII is good in my books.

Qward 10-11-2012 10:15 AM

I hope the colours are the same as the Rough Riders, 67's, Rebels, Renegades, and of course Senators.

Jerk Store 10-11-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qward (Post 54909033)
I hope the colours are the same as the Rough Riders, 67's, Rebels, Renegades, and of course Senators.

Those colours date back to the old Ottawa Athletic Club and any team in Ottawa not sporting those colours would make a big mistake

Qward 10-11-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerk Store (Post 54909159)
Those colours date back to the old Ottawa Athletic Club and any team in Ottawa not sporting those colours would make a big mistake

I will take that as a yes, they match.

Jerk Store 10-11-2012 10:32 AM

First of 3 teasers...

Marty Straka 10-11-2012 10:57 AM

already liking it!

SilverSeven 10-11-2012 11:18 AM

I like the tie in with history, but think even fans of Ottawas team would just go with a Scottish theme. Look at the Sens.

I dont think they ever would go with it, but I think Shiners would be a pretty cool name. The Shiners war is a pretty big part of Ottawas history.

Marvelous Manked 10-11-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Trudeau (Post 54908561)

:facepalm:

So are you one of those people who don't acknowledge the First and Second World War, because in your mind you think it "promotes" war?

Jimini Crickets, I won't say what I REALLY want to say in fear that I'll get in trouble, which I get in enough of on these boards.

FuriousSenator 10-11-2012 11:41 AM

I love it already! Doesn't sound awkward like some other similar suggestions I've heard I.e. Ottawa Riflemen, Ottawa Cannons.

Marvelous Manked 10-11-2012 11:43 AM

Also, enough teasers, lets see the whole thing :nod:

benjiv1 10-11-2012 12:05 PM

Here's my proposal:

Ottawa Rogues

http://www.graffitiwithpunctuation.n...04563900_n.jpg

They can practice here...

http://passontheinfo.com/gossip/wp-c...e934_MAD6s.jpg

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...ch&um=1&itbs=1

FuriousSenator 10-11-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benjiv1 (Post 54911715)

lawled. GOTHAM CITY 4 LYFE.

The King of Town 10-11-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qward (Post 54908961)
It is not promoting war, it is promoting our history.

Bang on.

That said, I prefer Sly St-Laurent's Raftsmen idea.

internetdotcom 10-11-2012 12:46 PM

Ottawa Rakers ('cause even our football team cleans up on the Maple Leafs) ? ;)

FuriousSenator 10-11-2012 02:05 PM

More teasers!

GK 10-11-2012 02:20 PM

I like the Highlanders name. As long as Red and Black are apart of the colours, I'm happy.

I'm also happy that I'll have another team in Ottawa to cheer for. :yo: