HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Scott Gomez released by Alaska (UPD: Signs with Alaska Nov. 7) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1269969)

Ginu 10-11-2012 12:08 PM

Scott Gomez released by Alaska (UPD: Signs with Alaska Nov. 7)

Don't tell me he couldn't make an ECHL team?
http://www.echl.com/echl-transactions-oct-10-p179619

Pierre Dagenais 10-11-2012 12:09 PM

haha Justin Jokinen.. I remember when a bunch of posters here wanted to draft him in the 2nd round

Le Tricolore 10-11-2012 12:09 PM

I mean... was he not good enough? Was he only trying out to get into shape..? :|

Et le But 10-11-2012 12:11 PM

For what it's worth he previously claimed that he wasn't going to play for them and was only training with them.

Freaky Habs Fan 10-11-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Et le But (Post 54911865)
For what it's worth he previously claimed that he wasn't going to play for them and was only training with them.

Yeah that's what I figured. Like him or not, Gomez is a NHL player...

Le Tricolore 10-11-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Et le But (Post 54911865)

Ahh okay. That makes sense then.

domdo345 10-11-2012 12:40 PM

Yeah, maybe it was what you guys are talking about. Or maybe it was like what happened to Dubinsky where they had to released him before signing the contract. Maybe they released him from the tryout to sign him and they are still figuring it out. Like it or not, Gomez is an elite puck mover and would make a lot of AHL/ECHL Dmans look like pylons.

One Man Rock Band 10-11-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan (Post 54911943)
Yeah that's what I figured. Like him or not, Gomez is a NHL player...

Barely...

He's not useful in the Top-6 and he's a really "meh" bottom-6 guy.

ThaDevilGirl 10-11-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domdo345 (Post 54912491)
Yeah, maybe it was what you guys are talking about. Or maybe it was like what happened to Dubinsky where they had to released him before signing the contract. Maybe they released him from the tryout to sign him and they are still figuring it out. Like it or not, Gomez is an elite puck mover and would make a lot of AHL/ECHL Dmans look like pylons.

not anymore.

JAVO16 10-11-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais (Post 54911825)
haha Justin Jokinen.. I remember when a bunch of posters here wanted to draft him in the 2nd round

Didn't he even get some 1st round dark horse hype ?

domdo345 10-11-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl (Post 54913217)
not anymore.

He is still an elite puck mover, just can't do anything when gaining the offensive zone. Same as saying Dagenais has an elite shot, doesn't make him an NHLer. Gomez puck moving skills are WAY above the AHL/ECHL level...

PunkinDrublic* 10-11-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB (Post 54913177)
Barely...

He's not useful in the Top-6 and he's a really "meh" bottom-6 guy.

Good to know that HF posters know more about hockey players than actual NHL gm's.:laugh:

Le Tricolore 10-11-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl (Post 54913217)
not anymore.

Don't be dumb, yes he would...

He has trouble finishing in the NHL, but he's still an NHL calibre player.

Myron Gaines* 10-11-2012 01:29 PM

For the casual habs fan, Scott Gomez couldn't make an ECHL team.

PunkinDrublic* 10-11-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myron Gaines (Post 54913723)
For the casual habs fan, Scott Gomez couldn't make an ECHL team.

That doesn't say much does it ?

WeThreeKings 10-11-2012 01:47 PM

Before I knew the entire story behind this.. the headline did not surprise me..

Hackett 10-11-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Tricolore (Post 54913683)

The last two seasons, he's been a below average top 6 guy in this league, and his stye of game is not really suited for conventional bottom six use.

You can say he has the caliber, but I would say he's not a good nhl fit. There's too many better top 6 players in this league than gomez right now.

chuck1984 10-11-2012 02:09 PM

If not for his albatrous salary people wouldnt complain nearly as much as they do (rightfully so). Granted his points have been lacking, but he is still an NHLer.

NewHabsEra* 10-11-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domdo345 (Post 54913471)
He is still an elite puck mover, just can't do anything when gaining the offensive zone. Same as saying Dagenais has an elite shot, doesn't make him an NHLer. Gomez puck moving skills are WAY above the AHL/ECHL level...

Puckmover when talking about a foward?

The only think Gomez does at elite level is carrying the puck from our zone to the offensive zone.. so yeah in a sense he does a puckmoving job that our best puckmoving defensemen can do.. Outside is speed, Gomez isnt a NHLer anymore.. He has no vision, no clue how to cycle the puck, no offensive creativity at all, no puck protection, very easy to push off the puck and he just cant stickhandle the puck in tight areas.. Gomez has no business to do in the NHL anymore and Im pretty sure he wont make the team when NHL hockey resume..

domdo345 10-11-2012 02:53 PM

The ability he has to take the puck in his own zone and gain possession in the offensive zone alone make him valuable for some teams in the NHL. Let's be honest here, other than MaxPac and Cole, our wingers sucked hard last year (including Gionta and Cammy). Granted Gomez lost his offensive flair, playing with better wingers would have certainly helped not to have this disastrous season. I am not telling you Gomez is gold, I am telling you he has his utility on an NHL line-up for some teams.

HCH 10-11-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

What does this mean? Either he can finish and is an NHL calibre player or he can't finish and is not an NHL calibre player.

Hackett 10-11-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domdo345 (Post 54915829)
The ability he has to take the puck in his own zone and gain possession in the offensive zone alone make him valuable for some teams in the NHL. Let's be honest here, other than MaxPac and Cole, our wingers sucked hard last year (including Gionta and Cammy). Granted Gomez lost his offensive flair, playing with better wingers would have certainly helped not to have this disastrous season. I am not telling you Gomez is gold, I am telling you he has his utility on an NHL line-up for some teams.

Its flashy to watch him take the puck from his own zone to the opposing zone, but its not very effective at all. By the time he gets to the opponent's zone, the play seems to die. I dont see that changing with a new set of line mates or under a different coach.

Also, for a so-called playmaker, he seems to miss his linemates alot. I mean, he gets the puck to his mates, but playmakers get the puck into their wheelhouse.... its a subtle difference but those little things give you the split second you need at this level.

canadiensnation 10-11-2012 04:12 PM

I don't know if anyone said this yet but i heard he was only there for training, he didn't want to play there.

Booba 10-11-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadiensnation (Post 54917777)
I don't know if anyone said this yet but i heard he was only there for training, he didn't want to play there.

Yes the title is misleading. Alaska released Gomez because he asked to leave (not because he wasn't good enough to play in the ECHL).

ThaDevilGirl 10-11-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

The poster said he was an elite puck mover. I disagree with that. Had he been still elite he wouldn't have regressed as much a he did and still produce at the NHL level.