HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   NHL to Expand 2 teams in Canada - THN (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1269991)

Rhiessan71 10-11-2012 01:20 PM

NHL to Expand 2 teams in Canada - THN

Was just out and about listening to the Fan590, Tim and Sid.
They were talking about Jason Kay of the Hockey News saying that once the CBA is finalized, the NHL will be announcing 2 new teams in Canada. Namely in Quebec and Toronto.

https://twitter.com/JKTHN/statuses/256376786852667392

CerebralGenesis 10-11-2012 01:27 PM

que??

They don't even have a new CBA yet so how can they guess this? Also, this assumes Phoenix-->Seattle? BecausE I think Seattle gets a team before another in the Toronto area. Hell even Hamilton before another in the Toronto area.

Kloparren 10-11-2012 01:27 PM

Gary Bettman does not seem to me like a guy who's gonna do these type of moves at once. The NHL would at the moment rather than dealing with the Phx situation just keep pushing it back because they're concetrated on CBA negotiations. So if there is a full yr lockout which doesn't get resolved till the summer like last time then I really doubt that Bettman will have the prep or time to move two separate teams to Canada or to expand 2 to Canada.

Also I'm a huge fan of having expansion and a large league but the NHL is just stupid if it wants to do this considering the other franchises being in distress. Their best bet now would be to relocate when the opportunity is there and not expand.

And also this was just lunch radio speculation.

Tinalera 10-11-2012 01:30 PM

Did they say who their sources were-not names but did they indicate they had some sort of insider knowledge? I just hear enough of these media interviews with other media where their "opinion" is often stated as a fact, and I would think this is along those lines.

Erik Estrada 10-11-2012 01:33 PM

Did it come out of the mouth of one of the two guys entitled to talk on behalf of the League?

True or not, it's probably a deliberate leak. It'll win brownie points with Canadians. It's a great PR move for the owners.

Reality Check 10-11-2012 01:34 PM

The last thing this league needs is more teams

tarheelhockey 10-11-2012 01:40 PM

Makes sense if you think about it. It could make realignment easier, pumps some short-term cash into the coffers, diversifies the long-term income of the league a bit more than it is already, and helps prop up "problem" franchises in the short term. It might even be a calculated to move to re-position the league relative to the new CBA in regard to revenue sharing, salary cap, etc.

I'd be down with it.

Rabid Ranger 10-11-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reality Check (Post 54913855)

I don't think two additional Canadian franchises would be a bad thing. The question is whether that's by expansion or relocation.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER 10-11-2012 01:41 PM

I don't believe this because don't the Maple Leafs have a say on if another team was to start up in the Toronto area?

HH 10-11-2012 01:43 PM

Would make sense as it allows the realignement to take place. 4 conferences, 8 teams in each. Top 4 in each conference make it.

Shrimper 10-11-2012 01:44 PM

Won't be another team in Toronto. Quebec and Seattle will get teams.

Woll Smoth 10-11-2012 01:45 PM

As exciting as it would be to have another team in Toronto I really think that Seattle should get their shot first. If the NHL wants to grow they shouldn't tap in to a saturated market.

KevFu 10-11-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER (Post 54914037)
I don't believe this because don't the Maple Leafs have a say on if another team was to start up in the Toronto area?

But they were just sold: The NHL could have made their vote on this matter part of the sale. (I.E. This sale will only be approved if you vote FOR an expansion team in Toronto).

Same thing just happened in baseball, in order to buy the Houston Astros, the owner had to accept being realigned into the AL West.

Puckschmuck* 10-11-2012 01:47 PM

I would rather see Pheonix relocated to a viable market, and possibly Coumbus (I would say NYI, but I don't think lil Garry will ever pull a team out of the NYC area) as well, before we add two more teams. Having these teams relocated in Quebec City and somewhere in Southern Ontario would help strengthen the league financially, and also help to aid other struggling teams in the long term. As long as we do this and don't place anymore teams in crap markets in the States, we should be fine.

Tinalera 10-11-2012 01:49 PM

I'll say this-if they DID have a "nudge nudge" agreement in the works for that-and the NHL expands to 32 teams-I would be shocked if they didn't then push for 20 teams in the playoffs that's been rumoured the past few years.

Shrimper 10-11-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinalera (Post 54914239)
I'll say this-if they DID have a "nudge nudge" agreement in the works for that-and the NHL expands to 32 teams-I would be shocked if they didn't then push for 20 teams in the playoffs that's been rumoured the past few years.

20 teams in the play-offs would be terrible to organise. 16 is perfect.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER 10-11-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevFu (Post 54914151)
But they were just sold: The NHL could have made their vote on this matter part of the sale. (I.E. This sale will only be approved if you vote FOR an expansion team in Toronto).

While I have The Hockey News Mobile App I will believe it when they actually come out with a story about this. Not from someone who posts on Twitter unless they were Darren Dreger, Bob McKenzie or Pierre LeBrun who I trust a lot more. Plus nothing was mentioned on TSN and Rogers Sportsnet, so how come they aren't breaking this story?

KevFu 10-11-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER (Post 54914355)
While I have The Hockey News Mobile App I will believe it when they actually come out with a story about this. Not from someone who posts on Twitter unless they were Darren Dreger, Bob McKenzie or Pierre LeBrun who I trust a lot more. Plus nothing was mentioned on TSN and Rogers Sportsnet, so how come they aren't breaking this story?

Because it's hearsay and conjecture?

Gump Hasek 10-11-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woll Smoth (Post 54914119)
As exciting as it would be to have another team in Toronto I really think that Seattle should get their shot first.

Seattle will probably "get their shot first"; their team just happens to be named the Phoenix Coyotes right now.

Tinalera 10-11-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrimper (Post 54914275)
20 teams in the play-offs would be terrible to organise. 16 is perfect.

The idea if I remember it was (under a conference format) teams 7-10 would have a "mini playoff" (not unlike Wild Card) to determine the 7th and 8th seeds.

I don't necessarily agree with it, but I could see the sell job being that 9th and 10 place teams get at least some "playoff" monies in a 3 or 5 game series.

Rhiessan71 10-11-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reality Check (Post 54913855)

It might be the last thing the League needs but those very juicy expansion fee's are exactly what the owners need or maybe want is a better word.

If true, it would shed some light on why the owners are being so hardcore at the table right now.
#1) They want to share as little possible of those expansion fee's with the players in the future and are setting(sneaking?) such provisions up in the new CBA.

#2) The current 7 Canadian NHL teams account for more than a 1/3 of total league revenues. Adding 2 more Canadian teams will further inflate that number and increase overall revenues increasing the Cap and more importantly, the Cap floor. Again, the owners are trying to make provisions to protect smaller market teams like PHX, NYI and CAR from being "priced" right out of even the Cap floor.

gonzo11 10-11-2012 01:56 PM

phoenix to TO and another team to Quebec?

Reality Check 10-11-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger (Post 54914003)
I don't think two additional Canadian franchises would be a bad thing. The question is whether that's by expansion or relocation.

If it's relocation, fine.

But watering down the product more via expansion is a terrible idea. Much less for a league that wants to continue believing it's bigger than it actually is.

Rhiessan71 10-11-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER (Post 54914355)

The Tweet is from the guy running the story in the Oct 29th edition of the Hockey News, Jason Kay.
He's the Editor-in-Chief of THN btw.

Agreed though, is it more fluff than fact to sell more copy...we'll see I guess.

Shrimper 10-11-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinalera (Post 54914389)
The idea if I remember it was (under a conference format) teams 7-10 would have a "mini playoff" (not unlike Wild Card) to determine the 7th and 8th seeds.

I don't necessarily agree with it, but I could see the sell job being that 9th and 10 place teams get at least some "playoff" monies in a 3 or 5 game series.

Doing the Wild Card thing just confuses things. Have 16 as it's easy. 16/8/4/2/1