HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Kings GM Lombardi working on Cup hangover (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1270317)

CTKingsFan 10-12-2012 11:51 AM

Kings GM Lombardi working on Cup hangover

Great interview with Lombardi by Pierre LeBrun on how Dean Lombardi is dealing with the "cup hangover" and how he's still trying to turn the Kings into a dynasty!

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...n-cup-hangover

I freakin LOVE Dean!

Flour Child 10-12-2012 12:02 PM

Does he have any advice for a normal hangover?
Oktoberfest:1
The Dingo: 0

deeshamrock 10-12-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

"I talked to a number of teams, whether it was the 49ers, Yankees, Patriots, teams that were dynasties, and wanted to know what they did after the first year they won," Lombardi told ESPN.com this week. "I found so many different schools of thought."
That's great...I'm impressed by how much he cares. That he took 25 pages of notes wihle talking to Ronnie Lott, that says he's commited. Talking to other GM's in other sports, getting their feedback, knowledge, that's awesome.

I loved this at the end, he really is like their father:

[QUOTE]he Kings GM, who has one year left on his contract, sighs as we bring up his players. A championship team is like a family. Right now the family is apart.

"I have to tell you, I really miss our players," said Lombardi. "I have to say that. Sometimes itís good to know, in the end, what they mean to you. Sometimes you take them for granted. I miss having them around right now."[/QUOTE]

Ziggy Stardust 10-12-2012 12:52 PM

Here comes a $250,000 fine.

Buddy The Elf 10-12-2012 12:56 PM

We need you. Hell, I need you. I'm a mess without you. I miss you so damn much. I miss being with you, I miss being near you. I miss your laugh. I miss your scent; I miss your musk. When this all gets sorted out, I think you and me should get an apartment together.

KingsRule 10-12-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf (Post 54936289)
We need you. Hell, I need you. I'm a mess without you. I miss you so damn much. I miss being with you, I miss being near you. I miss your laugh. I miss your scent; I miss your musk. When this all gets sorted out, I think you and me should get an apartment together.

gold! love me some anchor man!

tigermask48 10-12-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dingo (Post 54935275)
Does he have any advice for a normal hangover?
Oktoberfest:1
The Dingo: 0

More drinking. Preferably IPA's, aka Scrubbin Bubbles. :D

HockeyCA 10-12-2012 11:55 PM

I'm not quite sure how I feel about this, but maybe I'm on the only one. Isn't part of what makes those teams great is that they don't talk about this sort of thing? Isn't it going to be up to the players to decide if they are going to be a dynasty like the above mentioned teams? Dead cannot take the ice with them and will there way to win.. Don't get me wrong, I love the way Dean runs an organization, but I feel like some things are better left unsaid, and this may be one of those times.

Chazz Reinhold 10-13-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyCA (Post 54951017)
I'm not quite sure how I feel about this, but maybe I'm on the only one. Isn't part of what makes those teams great is that they don't talk about this sort of thing? Isn't it going to be up to the players to decide if they are going to be a dynasty like the above mentioned teams? Dead cannot take the ice with them and will there way to win.. Don't get me wrong, I love the way Dean runs an organization, but I feel like some things are better left unsaid, and this may be one of those times.

Considering the recent track record of champions trying to repeat in the NHL, I'd rather Lombardi put his full effort into determining how to avoid the downfalls of the hangover.

Magicman 10-14-2012 08:28 PM

Name the last NHL team that repeated as a cup winner. Don't look Detroit in 97 and 98.

Then factor in the last repeat champion that won the cup as the as the last qualifier in the confrence they resided in, and repeated.

Don't look again, it's never happened.

Hangover is one thing, reality is another

TruKingFan 10-15-2012 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magicman (Post 54996793)
Name the last NHL team that repeated as a cup winner. Don't look Detroit in 97 and 98.

Then factor in the last repeat champion that won the cup as the as the last qualifier in the confrence they resided in, and repeated.

Don't look again, it's never happened.

Hangover is one thing, reality is another

Has any team gone up 3-0 in each of the FOUR playoff rounds in the playoffs ON THE ROAD before the Kings did it? Yeah...didn't think so either.

Or winning 10-straight ROAD playoff games? Yeah...that's never happened too huh?

Just because it's never happened doesn't mean it never will.

Sore loser. You must be a Canucks fan.

CTKingsFan 10-15-2012 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruKingFan (Post 55003345)
Has any team gone up 3-0 in each of the FOUR playoff rounds in the playoffs ON THE ROAD before the Kings did it? Yeah...didn't think so either.

Or winning 10-straight ROAD playoff games? Yeah...that's never happened too huh?

Just because it's never happened doesn't mean it never will.

Sore loser. You must be a Canucks fan.

Or win the Stanley Cup from the 8th seed ;-)

Rorschach 10-15-2012 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTKingsFan (Post 55003529)
Or win the Stanley Cup from the 8th seed ;-)

Or, maybe most importantly kept together that entire roster for a smaller cap hit?

CTKingsFan 10-15-2012 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rorschach (Post 55003639)
Or, maybe most importantly kept together that entire roster for a smaller cap hit?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/phot...2/lombardi.jpg