HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Big seasons expected from several Montreal Canadiens' prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1270351)

HF Article 10-12-2012 01:00 PM

Big seasons expected from several Montreal Canadiens' prospects

The Montreal Canadiens' vastly improved their organizational prospect pool over the 2012 off-season. As many as eight prospects could start their professional careers in Hamilton for the 2012-13 season. There will also be a huge amount of focus on 2012 first round draft pick Alex Galchenyuk who has already signed his NHL entry-level contract. A prolonged NHL lockout will bring bigger than usual exposure to the team's prospects pool from the Montreal Canadiens' hockey-starved fan base.

Below are some of the Canadiens' prospects to watch more closely headed into the 2012-13 season:

Pro

Top Pro prospect
Louis Leblanc, RW/C Hamilton Bulldogs (AHL)

After gaining some NHL experience last season, Leblanc has to be considered the Canadiens' top prospect at the professional level to start the year.… read more

More...

MasterDecoy 10-12-2012 02:05 PM

beautiful article.

like a 6'0 double D blond type of beautiful

Mrb1p 10-12-2012 02:55 PM

Still think Louis Lebust is underrated.

NewHabsEra* 10-12-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrb1p (Post 54940747)

He should be our 2nd best prospect IMO.. I still think he can become a Patrice Bergeron type of player..

Mrb1p 10-12-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewHabsEra (Post 54940995)
He should be our 2nd best prospect IMO.. I still think he can become a Patrice Bergeron type of player..

IMO he could be a perrenial selke contender(ala Bergy.)

He just need's more speed and to trim those eyebrows.

Crimson Skorpion 10-12-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrb1p (Post 54941359)
IMO he could be a perrenial selke contender(ala Bergy.)

He just need's more speed and to trim those eyebrows.

Trimming those eyebrows could help his speed, actually.

domdo345 10-12-2012 03:55 PM

A lot of expectations on kids that start their pro careers. If there was no lockout I'd be with everyone here and expect big things for this bulldogs team. But the truth is the whole league got much better too and I believe they will have a hard time adjusting to the tempo. The good side of it is that next year they'll be facing weaker opposition and will probably be a great team (granted other than Leblanc, none else makes it). So yeah, I kinda expect a learning season that might not be as exciting as some habs fans want to believe. Off course, this is only MY opinion.

Edit: add to the fact that the AHL is a tight tight tight league where offense is often stifled, shinning above others will be really hard.

Mathradio 10-12-2012 04:09 PM

The entire AHL is boosted by now...

sharks9 10-12-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrb1p (Post 54940747)

Agreed. He didn't look that great last year but I think a lot of that was missing the offseason and being bounced back and forth between Hamilton and Montreal. I think a full offseason and playing the entire season in Hamilton's top-6 will do a world of good for his development.

For comparison: Pacioretty and Leblanc at Age 21
Max Pacioretty:
Year Team League GP G A PTS +/-
2009-10 Montreal NHL 52 3 11 14 -5
2009-10 Hamilton AHL 18 2 9 11 12

Louis Leblanc
Year Team League GP G A PTS +/-
2011-12 Montreal NHL 42 5 5 10 -3
2011-12 Hamilton AHL 31 11 11 22 -10

DAChampion 10-12-2012 06:42 PM

The fact the entire AHL is boosted may make it a better development league.

Any opinions yes or no?

Belso 10-12-2012 07:07 PM

A lot of minor teams and prospects all over the league will get more attention because of the lockout. Too bad the Sarnia Sting are not so strong upfront this season. I wanted them to score goals not play a defensive game..

Kriss E 10-12-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAChampion (Post 54945447)
The fact the entire AHL is boosted may make it a better development league.

Any opinions yes or no?

Of course, that's only logical. Should be an interesting year in the AHL.

DAChampion 10-12-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriss E (Post 54947677)
Of course, that's only logical. Should be an interesting year in the AHL.

I'm not sure it's obvious.

Basically, it's well established in psychology that there's a level of challenge that maximizes learning. If things are either too easy or too hard, people will learn less.

Lars The GOAT Eller 10-12-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAChampion (Post 54947739)

Basically, it's well established in psychology that there's a level of challenge that maximizes learning. If things are either too easy or too hard, people will learn less.

I'd rather them play prospects/young nhlers than career ahlers.
Makes it easier to evaluate

Kriss E 10-13-2012 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAChampion (Post 54947739)

Of course it's obvious..
If you have guys like Eberle and RNH playing in the AHL, it raises the level of competition. It's great for all the prospects.

DAChampion 10-13-2012 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriss E (Post 54953857)
Of course it's obvious..
If you have guys like Eberle and RNH playing in the AHL, it raises the level of competition. It's great for all the prospects.

Do you think that the 2005 strike is part of the reason that the 2003 draft is considered one of the best ever?

PunkinDrublic* 10-13-2012 06:47 AM

Comparing Leblanc to Patches !!!:facepalm:

They are two completely different players.

Davebo 10-13-2012 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YourBuddy (Post 54954747)

He's comparing his development level at the same age. This shouldn't have had to been explained... :rolleyes:

PunkinDrublic* 10-13-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davebo (Post 54954781)
He's comparing his development level at the same age. This shouldn't have had to been explained... :rolleyes:

Haha yeah alrighty there...still a moot comparison ! Makes absolutely no sense at all.

Explanation ? Why not just take Palushaj as a comparible....see i can do this to.

Kriss E 10-13-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAChampion (Post 54953929)
Do you think that the 2005 strike is part of the reason that the 2003 draft is considered one of the best ever?

Hmm not sure where you're going with this. How can a strike be part of the reason why a draft was good two years earlier?

We're talking about drafted players, NHL ready talent, playing in the AHL due to a strike.

PricePkPatch 10-15-2012 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriss E (Post 54957995)
Hmm not sure where you're going with this. How can a strike be part of the reason why a draft was good two years earlier?

We're talking about drafted players, NHL ready talent, playing in the AHL due to a strike.

Precisely. Talents drafted in 2003 would probably have been expected to play in the NHL if not for the lockout. They we're allowed a full development year in a competitive AHL. It certainly contributed positively to their development compared to similar talent years.

sharks9 10-15-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YourBuddy (Post 54954747)

I understand that they're completely different players, I'm just showing that it's ridiculous calling Leblanc a bust when our current best forward was at the same level he was at that age.

Habaddict 10-15-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharks9 (Post 55005755)
I understand that they're completely different players, I'm just showing that it's ridiculous calling Leblanc a bust when our current best forward was at the same level he was at that age.

I think that was clear to everyone else.
But just for argument sake, MaxPac was considered to be behind
in development, around about then. And of course that isn't always
important, because players develop at different rates,and by stages.
Still, some of us were hoping Lablanc would have more of NHL size and
strength by now. I hope the issue is somewhat because of injuries, and
constantly playing on different teams.
However, it looks like he may get a free development year. :cry::cry:
In his case, it may be a good thing not to run back and forth between
Hamilton and Montreal.

Prairie Habs 10-15-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PricePkPatch (Post 55004337)
Precisely. Talents drafted in 2003 would probably have been expected to play in the NHL if not for the lockout. They we're allowed a full development year in a competitive AHL. It certainly contributed positively to their development compared to similar talent years.

I think you are a year off though. If they were drafted in 03 then wouldn't most of them have spent the 03-04 and 04-05 years in junior before being eligible to go to the AHL in 05-06? So the last lockout would have benefited the 02 draft class.

PricePkPatch 10-15-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prairie Habs (Post 55016753)
I think you are a year off though. If they were drafted in 03 then wouldn't most of them have spent the 03-04 and 04-05 years in junior before being eligible to go to the AHL in 05-06? So the last lockout would have benefited the 02 draft class.

Except that you work on the assumption that all talents in a certain batch will flourish immediately.

Talents that would usually have been called up on their 2ND contract year had the luxury of playing longer in the AHL. That certainly helped a lot.