HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   AHL Prospect Discussion Thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1270973)

Smallz 10-14-2012 12:52 AM

AHL Prospect Discussion Thread

Figured this would be a good idea for a general thread on here

Basically just ask about a prospect or two or how every many you want and hopefully some posters who have seen them play this season will provide some insight.

Anyways I'll get it going:

I realize it's early but I was wondering how the following prospects have looked so far:

Luke Adam
Jordan Caron
Dmitry Korobov
Travis Oleksuk
Tyler Toffoli

Thanks in advance

DuckJet 10-14-2012 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallz (Post 54978615)

Basically just ask about a prospect or two or how every many you want and hopefully some posters who have seen them play this season will provide some insight.

I realize it's early but I was wondering how the following prospects have looked so far:

Luke Adam
Jordan Caron
Dmitry Korobov
Travis Oleksuk
Tyler Toffoli

Thanks in advance

Well I watched Oleksuk the last few nights...wasn't too noticeable to me. Though I was focused on the Norfolk players. Sorry for being totally useless.

Bure 10-14-2012 01:08 AM

Prokhorkin for the Monarchs looked really solid in his first game as an under ager.

TheJuxtaposer 10-14-2012 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckJet (Post 54978635)
Well I watched Oleksuk the last few nights...wasn't too noticeable to me. Though I was focused on the Norfolk players. Sorry for being totally useless.

Oleksuk has been very good. Enough so that I think he has a real legit chance at cracking the SJ roster when the season starts/next season in a third line role.

The only other guy I watched on that list is Adam... and I was not particularly impressed. His skating is just not good at all, it stuck out like a sore thumb.

Exit Dose 10-14-2012 01:34 AM

I thought Oleksuk was good in his first game against us, but I didn't notice him much in tonight's game. Sheppard was the guy I noticed the most from Worcester.

TheJuxtaposer 10-14-2012 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exit Dose (Post 54978897)
I thought Oleksuk was good in his first game against us, but I didn't notice him much in tonight's game. Sheppard was the guy I noticed the most from Worcester.

To my never-ending amusement, same here. :laugh:

CNS 10-14-2012 04:46 AM

Toffoli has looked all sorts of average. Wasn't impressed with the three games I've seen of him at all (one was the first preseason game).

TherapyforGlencross 10-14-2012 06:52 AM

OT, but Sven Baertschi has 4 points in 2 games. He has looked really good out there so far.

Leaf Rocket 10-14-2012 07:25 AM

For the Leafs/Marlies last night:

Gardiner was dominant, was a man among boys it seemed. Ended the night with 2 points I believe? 1 Goal, 1 Assist.
Kadri was explosive, was making plays everywhere, with a little more time to gel he should be getting a good amount of points. Ended the night with 1 assist. Arguably our best forward but credit goes to Ryan Hamilton who potted two on the powerplay.
Joe Colborne was great tonight, he slowed down as the game progressed though, but you can see that he is much healthier and more effective now seeing his wrist is healed. He made a sweet pass on the powerplay for a goal our Captain.
Blacker made several mistakes but Eakins decided to rely on him and gave him heavy minutes.
Mckegg was much better than I was expecting from him, he was more solid defensively and seemed energetic, offensively he couldn't get anything going though.
Ashton had the wheels last night, started out slow but started to rush to the net quite a bit, I hope he brings out his game offensively more.
Holzer was solid for us quietly and steadily as usual.
Leo Komarov lives up to his name, he is a pest. He was making things happen non stop last night and was buging people with hits. He has the skill it seems but I want to see more from him as the season progresses as he is with our second line at the moment.

Aside from Propsect, the return of Paul Ranger. He was definitely rusty but he did help out blacker twice when blacker fumbled so I am assuming with more game under him he will start to play more effectively.

Leaf Rocket 10-14-2012 07:36 AM

Should mention hands down Zemgus Girgensons was hands down the best prospect for sabres IMO. Mark Pysyk also made some good moves for them.
Marcus Foligno was impressive.

wings5 10-14-2012 09:43 AM

Love this idea, this thread should be stickied.

Montecristo 10-14-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallz (Post 54978615)

Luke Adam
Jordan Caron
Dmitry Korobov
Travis Oleksuk
Tyler Toffoli

Thanks in advance

Caron has been average. Picked up a secondary assist last night but wasn't influential on the goal. Hasn't stood out enough considering he was in the NHL last year.

I'm interested in how emerson etem and justin schultz has looked early on

Stop Winnin 10-14-2012 09:56 AM

Adam has looked average. Nothing spectacular, but not awful.

Leaf Rocket 10-14-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kishire (Post 54981149)

I personally thought the combo Adam and Hodgson wasn't good not gonna lie.

Soli 10-14-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montecristo (Post 54981133)
Caron has been average. Picked up a secondary assist last night but wasn't influential on the goal. Hasn't stood out enough considering he was in the NHL last year.

I'm interested in how emerson etem and justin schultz has looked early on

Through 2 games with the Barons, Schultz has been the best player on the team. Exactly as advertised. He generates offensive chances whenever he's on the ice. He actives all the time it's like having that 4th forward out there. His vision is outstanding and that translates offensively and defensively. Not physical but his positioning and stick are solid.

He picked up an assist in his first game on the PP and scored the GWG in his 2nd game by walking into the slot and freezing the goaltender before snapping it in low blocker. Dare I say, it was vintage Schultz.

Schultz's 1st AHL Goal, GWG

BalticWarrior 10-14-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket (Post 54980185)
Should mention hands down Zemgus Girgensons was hands down the best prospect for sabres IMO. Mark Pysyk also made some good moves for them.
Marcus Foligno was impressive.

Maybe Z will soon be promoted from 3d to 2nd line ?

Slick Eller 10-14-2012 11:13 AM

Bournival looked really, really good last night for the Bulldogs.

Minor Boarding 10-14-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bure (Post 54978739)
Prokhorkin for the Monarchs looked really solid in his first game as an under ager.

If Prokhorkin plays like that consistently he's gonna be a helluva NHL-er pretty soon. Great on ice vision combined with (for a young prospect) impressive two-way game and a big body.
The last forward that impressed me like Prokhorkin did yesterday was Kopi a long time ago.

Toffoli was average.

Stop Winnin 10-14-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket (Post 54981185)
I personally thought the combo Adam and Hodgson wasn't good not gonna lie.

Yeah, they're not a good combination, two players whose skating is questionable, they need a player who can go and dig out the pucks for them. Tropp getting injured is not cool. :cry:

S E P H 10-14-2012 11:49 AM

For Oilers: Schultz is probably the new ********* of NHL and hockey world, but he has looked out standing both games agains Lake Erie. The same can be said for Marincin.

For Avs: Elliott has looked good, but Barrie is just on another level right now, making smart amazing plays on both sides of the ice. Also Heard has been surprisingly good, but Aitto, though has played just one game has been our MVP so at.

superhakan 10-14-2012 11:59 AM

From the games I watched:

Jake Gardiner- Outstanding, on a whole other level then the rest of the competition.

Sven Baertschi- Looked very solid, the offense seemed to run through him as well. Slickest hands.

TJ Brodie- Skating is a notch above everyones at the AHL level (Jake Gardiner excluded) a very similar player to Gardiner. 3 points in 2 games.

Nazem Kadri- Very good hands, and used his teammates well. He should be an NHLer this year.

Evgeni Gratchev- Slow but a big body who can shield/control the puck well.

Roman Horak- Just a smart player who knows where to be, doesn't excel at anything but is good at everything.

Alberta tough 10-14-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kishire (Post 54981149)

I thought he was invisible yesterday. Great idea for a thread deserves a sticky imop.

That 10-14-2012 12:19 PM

For the Bulldogs/Griffins game last night:

Bulldogs:
- Michael Bournival was awesome. Very fast and showed some good skill as well. He was going 110% every shift.
- Brendan Gallagher went hard to the net every time he was on the ice. He was great.
- Steve Quailer surprised me. I really liked how fast of a skater he was and he's got some good hands too. Showed some smarts of Blake Geoffrion's goal.
- Nathan Beaulieu wasn't very noticeable, he had a few shots of the PP though.
- St Denis was the best player on the ice, very poised and very smart.
- Patrick Holland had some good moments. I like how he drove the net and he seemed much more willing to shoot than he was in junior.
- Greg Pateryn played a strong game. He's physical, but at the same time doesn't over do it. He was very poised on both sides of the ice.

Griffins:
- Brendan Smith played a solid game. I was expecting a bit more, but he still looked good out there.
- Gustav Nyquist had a poor game. He had a few nice dekes, but he turned the puck over and didn't seem very interested.

jebs 10-14-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S E P H (Post 54982565)
For Oilers: Schultz is probably the new ********* of NHL and hockey world, but he has looked out standing both games agains Lake Erie. The same can be said for Marincin.

For Avs: Elliott has looked good, but Barrie is just on another level right now, making smart amazing plays on both sides of the ice. Also Heard has been surprisingly good, but Aitto, though has played just one game has been our MVP so at.

Yeah Schultz & Barrie were easily the best guys out there in both those games. Marincin while good, wasnt on that same level.

I also liked Malone for the Avs & Pitlick for the Oil.

Rise from the Ashes 10-14-2012 12:22 PM

Girgensons impressed me for the Sabres. For a young player, he looks so mature and poised on the ice.

Kadri played a hell of a game for the Marlies yesterday. Not big at all, but a shifty player with excellent skill and hands.

McKegg looks to be a solid prospect as well.

Was not impressed with Colborne. Blacker had some good moments.

Brayden McNabb is a pretty good D prospect as well.

Michael Bournival is a very hard working player. Should be a great third line center.

Brendan Gallagher buzzes out there on the ice. Still a bit weak for his size.

Aaron Palushaj is a great skater and has some good puck control. Kind of reminds me of a young Gomez.

Fred St. Denis is by far the most NHL ready defender on the Bulldogs. Nathan Beaulieu with experience could be a solid #3 puck rushing defender.

Jarred Tinordi needs time to get used to the pro game, just like he needed one season to get used to the junior game. Lots of shut down upside. Underrated offensive instincts insofar as he is able to keep the play going in the offensive zone.

Blake Geoffrion may not ever be a top six NHL player, but he has good offensive instincts.

Patrick Holland has great vision on the ice and he has the hands to execute as well. Pure playmaker. Has decent frame, but needs to bulk up. His shot is underrated.

Brendan Nash has upside in many areas. He has size, skill and skating ability. Needs to play a lot to get more polished regarding his all around game. Missed all of last season.