HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Extend Kessel thread, and other Kessel talk. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1271551)

81Leafs50 10-15-2012 02:36 PM

Extend Kessel thread, and other Kessel talk.

If hockey gets canceled this season Kessel's contract will have one year left. So do the Leafs extend him?

The guy scores goals and a lot of them. He was also a point a game last season.

1) So if the Leafs give him a slight raise and an extension people are gonna say he is not a star and one sided. No doubt no matter how much money he gets, people will say he is overpaid.

2) The Leafs could trade him and then people will say the Leafs gave up too much to trade him now.

3) Leafs let him go to UFA status. The city blows up and life as we know it ends.

I think, in terms of goal scoring, that Kessel is ELITE. Leafs have to keep him. No matter what the money. Kessel is only player on the Leafs that earns his money.

bunjay 10-15-2012 02:45 PM

How is it a loss if fans criticize him (as we always have)?

TmlHockeyFan 10-15-2012 02:47 PM

I think it's best to trade him to Minnesota because I have a feeling he will walk out once he becomes a UFA. He'll probably play with Parise.

Kyle Doobas* 10-15-2012 02:53 PM

No, it's a win because Phil Kessel will continue to be a Leaf

Looney Toonies 10-15-2012 02:59 PM

If the Leafs let Kessel walk, Burke gets a hit put on him from the Toronto Mob. That being said it will never happen. Burke will pay for him and it IS going to be a lot. Kessel and Phaneuf are the face of Toronto and I think both will be here for the rest of their careers.

DirtyDion03 10-15-2012 02:59 PM

If we let him go.. Who scores goals for the Leafs?

Looney Toonies 10-15-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 (Post 55012375)

This.

TmlHockeyFan 10-15-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 (Post 55012375)

Trade him for a #1 centre and build around that. Then we would need to find a winger to play for that centre. :lol:

DirtyDion03 10-15-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmlhockeyfan (Post 55012437)
Trade him for a #1 centre and build around that. Then we would need to find a winger to play for that centre. :lol:

Which #1 centre can we trade for Phil Kessel.

TmlHockeyFan 10-15-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 (Post 55012471)
Which #1 centre can we trade for Phil Kessel.

I don't know which centres are available. I don't know if Getzlaf would be worth it because his production is going down.

JVR2112 10-15-2012 03:07 PM

Extending a PPG sniper in his prime is definitely a loss.

Suntouchable13 10-15-2012 03:11 PM

I think if they trade him then the rebuild starts all over again. I want to see this team move forward and not take steps back. Unless you can get some established talent (namely a stud in goal) back. but even then, I wouldn't advocate trading Kessel. Making sure he is happy here, and extending him should be one of the top priorities.

TmlHockeyFan 10-15-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 (Post 55012677)
I think if they trade him then the rebuild starts all over again. I want to see this team move forward and not take steps back. Unless you can get some established talent (namely a stud in goal) back.

Stamkos (I wish).

Rare Jewel 10-15-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Stallone (Post 55012259)

That's about as far as this thread needs to go.

Volcanologist 10-15-2012 03:21 PM

He must be kept, period.

nsleaf 10-15-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 81Leafs50 (Post 55011887)
If hockey gets canceled this season Kessel's contract will have one year left. So do the Leafs extend him?

The guy scores goals and a lot of them. He was also a point a game last season.

1) So if the Leafs give him a slight raise and an extension people are gonna say he is not a star and one sided. No doubt no matter how much money he gets, people will say he is overpaid.

2) The Leafs could trade him and then people will say the Leafs gave up too much to trade him now.

3) Leafs let him go to UFA status. The city blows up and life as we know it ends.

I think, in terms of goal scoring, that Kessel is ELITE. Leafs have to keep him. No matter what the money. Kessel is only player on the Leafs that earns his money.

You pretty much covered how people will react, given the above scenarios. In TO 'you can't win' no matter what happens. Someone will find fault somewhere.
IMO-extend him.

Quarter 10-15-2012 03:24 PM

Are you serious OP?

Whydidijoin* 10-15-2012 03:29 PM

People will complain no matter what.

But signing one of the best (and young) players in the league, which is all but a guarantee to happen, is never a lose.

Diamond Joe Quimby 10-15-2012 03:31 PM

Maybe this is his shape up or ship out year

JMcLeaf 10-15-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 81Leafs50 (Post 55011887)

Yes.

Quote:

Only haters will say **** like that. True fans will be happy to keep an elite scorer around. If he signs in extension it means he wants to be here and we want players that want to be here.

Quote:

I can't see Burke moving Kessel. The only way he might consider the idea of moving him is if it's in a deal for a true number 1 center. I trust Burke when it comes to making trades so if he actually did trade Phil I think he'd get a great return.

Quote:

Well let's hope that doesn't happen. Burke will do all he can do get him re-signed or move him for good return if it doesn't look like Kessel wants to stay.

-DeMo- 10-15-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brownstache (Post 55012371)
If the Leafs let Kessel walk, Burke gets a hit put on him from the Toronto Mob. That being said it will never happen. Burke will pay for him and it IS going to be a lot. Kessel and Phaneuf are the face of Toronto and I think both will be here for the rest of their careers.

I seriously hope thats not the case cuz imo you can't win with those 2 as the face of the franchise... they can still be on the team no doubt, but they can't be the face there not good enough.

darrylsittler27 10-15-2012 03:41 PM

Jvr

Quote:

If we trade Kessel,and I think we will(no centre no playoffs),JVR and perhaps a bit of Kadri replace his goals.

7even 10-15-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Stallone (Post 55012259)

Boom. Done.

Volcanologist 10-15-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Does anybody have Hoglund's number?

JAMmer124 10-15-2012 04:02 PM

Is this guy serious? My lord.

This lockout needs to end ASAP.....