HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Ottawa's Bottom 6 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1272291)

TooLow494 10-17-2012 12:02 PM

Ottawa's Bottom 6

Ok let's talk some Senators,

So, with the impressive effort early on this season it got me thinking of Ottawa's bottom six to start the season *if there is one on Nov, 2nd. Let's assume there will be...

So listed as a center we have:
Regin, O'Brien, Smith,

LW we have:
Silfverberg *can play RW also*, Latendresse, Zibanejad (2 of these three will go in the top 6) Greening, Daugavins

RW:
Neil & Condra

Assuming everyone comes back from Europe healthy and ready to start the season how do you see the bottom six shaping up. Is anyone of these players expendable (excluding top prospects). Are you willing to part with any of these (Condra, Daugavins, O'Brien)

Also have to consider that Hoffman and DD might challenge for spots as evidence of their impressive play in the AHL lately / and that Petersson, Stone and Da Costa might get some consideration but still AHL seasoning will serve them well.

operasen 10-17-2012 12:21 PM

Assuming a Top 6 with some form of

Michalek - Spezza - Silfverberg
Latendress - Turris - Alfredsson

I see a bottom six of

Greening - Smith - Neil
Zibanejad - Regin - Condra

with O'Brien as the 13; 1st call up Hoffman (LW), Stone (RW)

I hope Latendress gives way by time so Zibanejad can play some Top 6 minutes.

benjiv1 10-17-2012 12:22 PM

Silfverberg-Spezza-Michalek
Latendresse-Turris-Alfredsson

Regin-Hoffman-Greening
O'Brien-Smith-Neil

Just a hunch really.

Stone and Zibanejad spend the year developing in Bingo.

operasen 10-17-2012 12:23 PM

Hoff as the 3C? Has he played Centre for Binghamton at all?

WantEggRoll 10-17-2012 12:25 PM

Out of Tim Murray's comments today only one MAYBE two forward spots are available, and then one defensive spot.

Players looked at as options for those spots: Jakob Silfverberg, Mika Zibanejad, Mark Stone, and Mark Borowiecki.

The coaching staff will go with the best option to help the team win right away. Not saying guys like Hoffman and such don't have a chance. But right out of camp I doubt you're going to see anyone other than those four guys.

18Hossa 10-17-2012 12:33 PM

Assuming our top 6 looks like this

Then i think that our bottom 6 will resemble somehting like this
Regin/Greening-Smith-Neil
Greening/Regin-O'Brien-Condra

TooLow494 10-17-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 18Hossa (Post 55061931)
Assuming our top 6 looks like this

Then i think that our bottom 6 will resemble somehting like this
Regin/Greening-Smith-Neil
Greening/Regin-O'Brien-Condra

So then what does that mean for Daugavins? Will he be the thirteenth forward? We have too many 1-way bottom six contracts again and not enough bona fide top 6 forwards (until Silfver and Zibby prove to be)

WantEggRoll 10-17-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooLow494 (Post 55062291)
So then what does that mean for Daugavins? Will he be the thirteenth forward? We have too many 1-way bottom six contracts again and not enough bona fide top 6 forwards (until Silfver and Zibby prove to be)

Yeah I can see Daugavins falling into a 13th forward/fringe role with the team. Providing everyone stays healthy there are just too many better options for that roster spot. I love the guy's personality, but I don't see him as a mainstay on the club.

Berserker* 10-17-2012 01:16 PM

I could see Murray trading a bunch of players on one way contracts to make more room for some of the prospects. Dziurzynski and Hoffman have played well so far and may make Regin, Daugavins and Condra expendable. Then there is Noesen who may be able to push for a bottom six spot as well.

Stone and Zibanejad have also been impressive and should be able to earn themselves a spot on the team.

IMO based of what I have seen so far Silfverberg isn't NHL ready. That isn't to say that he isn't tremendously skilled, he simply just needs more time to adjust to playing in North America. Anyone who has watched both of Bingo's games can attest to the fact that Silfverberg has struggled somewhat so far. It might actually be detrimental to his development to throw him into the NHL too early. Last game, he nearly got annihilated by a hit and left himself open to get hit pretty hard a few times. Fortunately most AHL players aren't as fast or as strong as NHL players, which saved Silverberg from getting run over. If he is thrown into the NHL at this point, it might jeopardize his confidence with the puck because he is likely to get run over pretty badly a few times. With that said, this may be a different story 10 games into the season.

Qward 10-17-2012 01:50 PM

Players on one way contracts

Spezza
Turris
Smith
Michalek
Alfredsson
Neil
Latendresse
Greening
Regin
O'brien
Daugavins
Condra
(12)

TooLow494 10-17-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruiser (Post 55063101)
I could see Murray trading a bunch of players on one way contracts to make more room for some of the prospects. Dziurzynski and Hoffman have played well so far and may make Regin, Daugavins and Condra expendable. Then there is Noesen who may be able to push for a bottom six spot as well.

Stone and Zibanejad have also been impressive and should be able to earn themselves a spot on the team.

IMO based of what I have seen so far Silfverberg isn't NHL ready. That isn't to say that he isn't tremendously skilled, he simply just needs more time to adjust to playing in North America. Anyone who has watched both of Bingo's games can attest to the fact that Silfverberg has struggled somewhat so far. It might actually be detrimental to his development to throw him into the NHL too early. Last game, he nearly got annihilated by a hit and left himself open to get hit pretty hard a few times. Fortunately most AHL players aren't as fast or as strong as NHL players, which saved Silverberg from getting run over. If he is thrown into the NHL at this point, it might jeopardize his confidence with the puck because he is likely to get run over pretty badly a few times. With that said, this may be a different story 10 games into the season.

Agree with everything you said except for Condra being expendable.

First off, Silfverberg does look like he needs a bit of an adjustment to North American ice. that is why i think this lockout was a blessing in disguise to his development. Although he played extremely well in that exhibition game, the talent level was no where near AHL calibre.

I've been thinking about Condra expend-ability and tbh i am quite unsure. He reminds of an early chris kelly for some reason. Anyways, with Winchester gone he now has to become one of our best penalty killers. He and Daugavins excelled at that last year

Berserker* 10-17-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooLow494 (Post 55064283)
Agree with everything you said except for Condra being expendable.

First off, Silfverberg does look like he needs a bit of an adjustment to North American ice. that is why i think this lockout was a blessing in disguise to his development. Although he played extremely well in that exhibition game, the talent level was no where near AHL calibre.

I've been thinking about Condra expend-ability and tbh i am quite unsure. He reminds of an early chris kelly for some reason. Anyways, with Winchester gone he now has to become one of our best penalty killers. He and Daugavins excelled at that last year

I just don't see any room for a player like him. He's a good penalty killer, but that's all he is. At 26 he doesn't have much room to grow and aside from his defensive awareness and positioning, he doesn't bring much to the table.

Players like Stone, Dziurzynski, Silfverberg and Zibanejad have already shown that they are capable penalty killers (at least at the AHL level). Other than the skating, I see Stone being able to do everything Condra can do and then some.

CanadianHockey 10-17-2012 02:52 PM

In my opinion, the bottom-6 depth looks something like:

Greening - Smith - Neil
Regin - O'Brien - Condra
x-Daugavins

Daugavins is simply the least talented of the group, that's why he sits. Smith-Neil seem to be a good energy combination, doubt they break that up. Regin or Greening could switch lines.

tony d 10-17-2012 03:58 PM

To me the bottom 6 will be:

Greening-Regin-Neil
O'brien-Smith-Condra

Benny FTW 10-17-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony d (Post 55067297)
To me the bottom 6 will be:

Greening-Regin-Neil
O'brien-Smith-Condra

This.

ReginKarlssonLehner 10-17-2012 05:28 PM

I think Zibanejad has been sensational and I honestly don't know if they'd keep him in the A. I think he should spend at least half the year there to dominate some more but every night he looks among the best forwards.

Hoffman will be real interesting to see. He looks NHL ready; his skating, shooting, handling and IQ are all top-end.

Xspyrit 10-17-2012 06:00 PM

Latendresse-Spezza-Michalek
Silfverberg-Turris-Alfredsson
Greening-Regin-Zibanejad
Condra-Smith-Neil
O'Brien

And it's not even close.

ReginKarlssonLehner 10-17-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xspyrit (Post 55069895)
Greening-Regin-Zibanejad
Condra-Smith-Neil
O'Brien

And it's not even close.

I like the third line a lot. Skill, speed, aggression, size. It can cause fits left and right.

CanadianHockey 10-17-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner (Post 55069209)
I think Zibanejad has been sensational and I honestly don't know if they'd keep him in the A. I think he should spend at least half the year there to dominate some more but every night he looks among the best forwards.

Hoffman will be real interesting to see. He looks NHL ready; his skating, shooting, handling and IQ are all top-end.

First/second year Karlsson looked great for long stretches, too. Then he'd be abysmal for stretches. Binghamton hasn't played many regular season games. It's still important to assess how consistent Zibby/Silfv/Stone are going to be in the AHL, and how that consistency will translate to NHL performance. If none of them are ready we might run a rotation between the trio. Zibby sees a month or two, then Silfv gets a month or two, then Stone.

Obviously if we get hit by injuries to our top-6 that could change the rotation to two up one in the AHL, but that's also TBD.

At any rate I'm not sure Zibby will have a regular spot in the bottom-6. He might float between the middle-six, though, when he is recalled.

Nizzy 10-17-2012 06:51 PM

Zibanejad-Spezza-Michalek
Latendresse-Regin-Stone
Greening-Smith-Neil

3 Scoring lines ...Doesnt hurt too have a 4th line that can put the puck in the net either

MandyAlwaysKnows 10-17-2012 07:47 PM

Top 6 = Spezza, Alfredsson, Turris, Michalek, Latendresse, Zib/Silf

Bottom 6 = Regin, Greening, Smith, Condra, Neil, O'Brien

That bottom 6 is just awesome seriously. The Top 6 needs an upgrade but the bottom 6 are amazing.

BonkTastic 10-17-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xspyrit (Post 55069895)
Greening-Regin-Zibanejad
Condra-Smith-Neil
O'Brien

And it's not even close.

I think it's close. Lots of very legit line combinations we could have in both our top and bottom 6. It's very likely that one of Zibanejad or Silfverberg don't make the big club out of camp, especially considering how many forwards on 1-way contracts we're carrying right now.

Fenix Rises 2026 10-17-2012 08:07 PM

Personally, I think our areas of weakness, in order of importance, for this season are as follows:

1) First line LW.
- Won't happen

2) #2 D
- Won't happen

3) 4th line RW.
- Condra's an area of weakness. Maybe Stone can step in, but I'd rather deal a midling prospect for an "elite" 4th liner that can be our bottom 6 one-two RW punch with Neil for the long-term, then let Stone/Zibby fight for the 2nd line spot next season.

4) 4th line LW
- Greening should make an excellent 3rd line LW going forward. But we could use another good mean and potatoes guy for the 4th line.

It would be nice to cash in a few of our depth guys to get a solid 4th line that we can rely on for years.

BonkTastic 10-17-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruiser (Post 55063101)

If there is a silver lining to the lockout (and believe me, this is a stretch, as there are very few silver linings involved in any way with the lockout), it's that we are getting a chance to play Silfverberg/ Zibanejad/Stone in AHL games and get some REAL pro experience before having to make a decision on where they're going to play. It might be damaging to one of their egos to say "sorry kid, you didn't make the big club, head to the AHL and work on these parts of your game we want you to develop"... having this time available for guys like Silfverberg to play AHL games and get accustomed to North American ice BEFORE the NHL starts playing games is really beneficial t their development, and beneficial to the organization in that it allows them to get a real good look at them "for free" in a legit pro situation before assembling the team.

CanadianHockey 10-17-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dblad the Impaler (Post 55072399)
Personally, I think our areas of weakness, in order of importance, for this season are as follows:

1) First line LW.
- Won't happen

2) #2 D
- Won't happen

3) 4th line RW.
- Condra's an area of weakness. Maybe Stone can step in, but I'd rather deal a midling prospect for an "elite" 4th liner that can be our bottom 6 one-two RW punch with Neil for the long-term, then let Stone/Zibby fight for the 2nd line spot next season.

4) 4th line LW
- Greening should make an excellent 3rd line LW going forward. But we could use another good mean and potatoes guy for the 4th line.

It would be nice to cash in a few of our depth guys to get a solid 4th line that we can rely on for years.

That #2D could very well be Cowen by the end of the season.

I'd argue we could use another top-6 winger on top of that 1LW, but perhaps that's being greedy.

As far as the 4th liners go, I'd rather sit and wait on that until we're ready to be a contender. Easy to add a cheap bottom-line guy around the deadline. Until then, Condra's fine as a 4th liner.