HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Mont/S.J. proposal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=127250)

boomboom 02-02-2005 02:51 PM

Mont/S.J. proposal

To S.J.: S.Koivu
C.Rivet
1 round pick

To Montreal: P.Marleau
k.McLaren

ChemiseBleuHonnete 02-02-2005 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomboom
To S.J.: S.Koivu
C.Rivet
1 round pick

To Montreal: P.Marleau
k.McLaren

wtf!

waffledave 02-02-2005 03:02 PM

Are you kidding me???

Freaky Habs Fan 02-02-2005 03:21 PM

It's not THAT bad but it's not good either. If your name is Bob Gainey, you DON'T trade Koivu. He's the soul of Montreal! If you're the GM of San Jose, you DON'T trade Marleau. He's a franchise player for them.

As for the other player, well, Montreal could be able to trade Rivet at the trade deadline(if they don't make the playoff) and the first round pick have to stay in Montreal. They are rebuilding and they need their first pick...

And McClaren, well, I don't really like him. He's isn't that good and it wouldn't be a good thing to bring him in Montreal after waht he did to Zednik two years ago...

Goldthorpe 02-02-2005 04:26 PM

It's not that bad a deal, specially considering the salary and age of the players involved, but I wouldn't do it for a number of reasons:

a) I could concede that McLaren > Rivet, but McLaren is a marked player with the habs since the Zednik incident, and I don't like players who hold out, specially those as young as McLaren.

b) Koivu is the soul of the team, he's the best forward and very loved around here. I just don't see him being replaced by a guy like Marleau. Nothing against Marleau, but can he makes Zednik score 30 goals? Would he become the habs best forward if insered in the lineup?

As for the first round pick.... I won't even talk about that.

Dr. Charles 02-02-2005 04:29 PM

Yeah
brilliant!!!
packages are always working
especially when you trade fan favorites both ways...

Don't hold your breath...

TVanek26* 02-02-2005 04:51 PM

Very lopsided...San Jose needs to throw in Brad Stuart and Marco Sturm.Craig Rivet is a future Norris winner you know.....

Goldthorpe 02-02-2005 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
Craig Rivet is a future Norris winner you know.....

I like Rivet, because he always brings his A-game during the playoff, but your comment is pure flamebait. Rivet has IMHO reached his ceilling as a bottom pairing defensman, or a top-4 on a bad team. He simply doesn't have the offensive talent to even come close to Norris status.

gars59 02-02-2005 05:07 PM

but

koivu > marleau
rivet = mclaren
1er round > nothing

TazzMetal 02-02-2005 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gars59
rivet = mclaren

Sorry but you are way off the track on that one. I am a Habs fan and even I can see that Craig Rivet is nothing more than an incredibly overpaid #3-#4 Defenseman at best. Kyle Mclaren is an imposing physical defenseman just entering his prime at 27 years old that most if not all teams would love to acquire or to already possess - which is far more than I can say about Rivet.

Heck, if Mclaren was to join the Habs via the trade suggested in this thread he would become the Habs #1 or #2 Defenseman overnight.

gars59 02-02-2005 05:44 PM

no i think that souray or markov is better than mclaren

and in playoff , rivet imscrease is game , i dont think that mclaren do it ...

MontrealCruiser_83* 02-02-2005 06:13 PM

Great, realistic proposal... :shakehead

Jeffrey 02-02-2005 06:20 PM

No way SJ trade marleau... no WAY montreal trade koivu !!
this deal as no chance to happen !

Kafka 02-02-2005 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
It's not THAT bad but it's not good either. If your name is Bob Gainey, you DON'T trade Koivu. He's the soul of Montreal!

Koivu is still in remission of is cancer. No one would trade a potential franchise player for a guy who may only play one or two seasons for his team.

However, I like the idea of trading Rivet. He is a bad model for Komisarek.

HabsBaby18* 02-02-2005 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldthorpe
I like Rivet, because he always brings his A-game during the playoff, but your comment is pure flamebait. Rivet has IMHO reached his ceilling as a bottom pairing defensman, or a top-4 on a bad team. He simply doesn't have the offensive talent to even come close to Norris status.

he was SARCASTIC LOLLLL :lol:

McDonald19 02-02-2005 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gars59
but

koivu > marleau
rivet = mclaren
1er round > nothing

Marleau > Koivu
McLaren > Rivet

1st round evens it a little.

Thats the way I see it and by no means am I a Shark fan.

San Jose has no reason to get older and trade a younger franchise player for an older franchise player. This proposal makes no sense for either team.

McDonald19 02-02-2005 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
Very lopsided...San Jose needs to throw in Brad Stuart and Marco Sturm.

:lol

Yeah just take all of San Jose's young core while your at it.

Psycho Papa Joe 02-02-2005 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kafka
No one would trade a potential franchise player ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
If you're the GM of San Jose, you DON'T trade Marleau. He's a franchise player for them.

Man oh man, people use the term franchise player way too easily. Marleau is a very nice player that just about any team could use on it's top two lines, but too call him a franchise player is a little much. His career best is 57 pts. Hardly franchise player type of numbers. He probably isn't even among the top 14 centers in the NHL.

Centers better than Marleau:

Lecavalier
Thornton
Sundin
Datsuyk
Koivu
Sakic
Forsberg
Lemieux
Modano
Fedorov
Gomez
Roenick
Richards
Weight

That doesn't include guys in the same ballpark as Marleau such as:

Jokinen
Handzus
Savard
Briere
Langkow
Legwand

gars59 02-02-2005 06:59 PM

Marleau > Koivu

:lol :joker:

its a joke i think , are byou sarcastic

koivu is the franchise pl;ayer of the habs , also our captain , he his a model of determination , inm playoff he inscrease is game like primeau , 11 pt en 11 gane

marleau: did not make a season of 60 pt , in playoff , he play good but no like koivu

and juste check this, this season

marleau
koivu 55 pt en 68 game
marleau 57 pt en 80 game

Bruins4Ever 02-02-2005 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
Man oh man, people use the term franchise player way too easily. Marleau is a very nice player that just about any team could use on it's top two lines, but too call him a franchise player is a little much. His career best is 57 pts. Hardly franchise player type of numbers. He probably isn't even among the top 14 centers in the NHL.

Lecavalier
Thornton
Sundin
Datsuyk
Koivu
Sakic
Forsberg
Lemieux
Modano
Fedorov
Gomez
Roenick
Richards
Weight

Jokinen
Handzus
Savard
Briere
Langkow
Legwand

I'd put Marleau in the upper category of centres. He hasn't exactly had elite players beside him in San Jose, but while I think he is a great first line centre, he's not a franchise player.

boomboom 02-02-2005 07:10 PM

Sorry did not explain my proposal:
Koivu is a better center than Marleau....look at the stats.Marleau is younger (but only by 3 years or so). Koivu is a cmplet player, the only think he does not do is drop the gloves.
so Koivu = Marleau (more offens. talent to Marleau)

Rivet -->McLaren, why you say?

Rivet plays more or less full seasons and has been playing on a crapy team for a while....yes the Habs have been sucking, but I think (opinion here) that Rivet is a pretty good D. man. He wont get 15 goals (gets 20 pts a season), but he is a solid in his zone, hits and dropes the gloves.

Koivu-4 500 000$ Marleau- 2 450 000$
Rivet- 2 750 000$ McLaren- 2 500 000$ (overpayed like Rivet)

1 round pick, because of money and age

But I would understand why S.J. might not want this trade.... (dont forget this proposal is based on opinion, dont go and have a heart attack)

McDonald19 02-02-2005 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psycho Joe

Lecavalier
Thornton
Sundin
Datsuyk
Koivu
Sakic
Forsberg
Lemieux
Modano
Fedorov
Gomez
Roenick
Richards
Weight

Jokinen
Handzus
Savard
Briere
Langkow
Legwand

If you watch San Jose it's easy to see he is their franchise player. Doesn't matter how he compares to the other top centers in the league. He is still the franchise.

HuskyFlames 02-02-2005 07:43 PM

Here is an outside view. It makes no sense for SJ to do this trade but tons for the Habs. The Habs get younger and much bigger. SJ gets smaller and older. I wouldn't look at Marleau's numbers too much as he is quite a package. I find it quite funny that Marleau's numbesr are being brought up. Besides, one season Koivu aint that offensive either for a top line center. He has BARELY broken the 20 goal plateau. And Marleau is 5 years younger, someone said 3 years and that is wrong. Factor in SJ all of a sudden increases its payroll and it looks even worse for SJ.

Now people are saying Koivu is such a warrior come playoff time. That may be the case but he hasn't led the Habs to anything. Look at Marluea's past playoff performances. His last 2 playoffs have been very good and last year he was scoring goals quite well in the post season.

Habs fans, take off your homer goggles cause this deal is terrible for SJ. Not sure why SJ would want a first either unless it is a top 3 pick. Their team is young enough and they have some great youth coming up.

King'sPawn 02-02-2005 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McDonald19
:lol

Yeah just take all of San Jose's young core while your at it.

Hate to break it to you, but I agree with DanielBriere48. In fact, I think they need to throw in Nabokov as well. He may be a back-up for Theodore, but the Sharks HAVE to make up for the Habs losing their HEART and SOUL.

So...
Brad Stuart
Marco Sturm
Patrick Marleau
Craig Rivet
Evgeni Nabokov

for

Saku Koivu
Craig Rivet
1st

Still seems uneven, so the Sharks might want to "throw in" Steve Bernier.

</sarcasm>

Jeffrey 02-02-2005 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King'sPawn
Hate to break it to you, but I agree with DanielBriere48. In fact, I think they need to throw in Nabokov as well. He may be a back-up for Theodore, but the Sharks HAVE to make up for the Habs losing their HEART and SOUL.

So...
Brad Stuart
Marco Sturm
Patrick Marleau
Craig Rivet
Evgeni Nabokov

for

Saku Koivu
Craig Rivet
1st

Still seems uneven, so the Sharks might want to "throw in" Steve Bernier.

</sarcasm>

dont find this funny at all
Koivu will go nowhere ...
you can whip your ass with Marleau,Sturm,Nabokov,etc...
Koivu is a Habs for life !