HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Other: Dwayne Roloson takes position with UMass-Lowell (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1272701)

Teemu 10-18-2012 01:44 PM

Dwayne Roloson takes position with UMass-Lowell

Lowell Sun Sports ‏@LowellSunSports
16-year NHL goalie Dwayne #Roloson joins UMass Lowell hockey staff, pending end of the NHL lockout. Roloson starred at UML in early 1990s.

bacardimayne 10-18-2012 01:45 PM

Loved him in Edmonton.

Tinalera 10-18-2012 01:47 PM

He had a great career, thought he might do one or two more years, but if he's happy that's all that matters :)

Dellstrom 10-18-2012 01:50 PM

I'll never forget when he almost single-handedly beat us in 2011.

One of the best playoff series I've ever watched... Game 7 one of the best games... Hell of a career.

CBJenga 10-18-2012 02:03 PM

Wait.... doesn't that say "pending the end of the NHL lockout"? Why is this so different than anyone else getting a hockey-related gig during the lockout. I understand that he isn't working as a player, but that bit about the lockout makes me think it's just a temp gig.

LateNightOilerFan 10-18-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBJenga (Post 55087795)
Wait.... doesn't that say "pending the end of the NHL lockout"? Why is this so different than anyone else getting a hockey-related gig during the lockout. I understand that he isn't working as a player, but that bit about the lockout makes me think it's just a temp gig.

Yeah, I'm not sure this is a retirement announcement. He was interviewed on Hockey Central in late Sept and sounded like he was in 'wait and see' mode about the lockout and did have some interest from a couple teams in the off-season. Plus he turned down the Leaf's coaching job with the AHL recently saying he still wanted to play.

Edit - Joins as volunteer assistant coach

Quote:

LOWELL -- Dwayne Roloson, a 16-year veteran of the NHL, was named a volunteer assistant coach with the UMass Lowell hockey team, head coach Norm Bazin announced Thursday.

Roloson, 43, pending the resolution of the NHL lockout, is seeking an NHL contract after two solid years with the Tampa Bay Lightning. He is expected remain with the team [UMLowell] until then.
Read more: http://www.lowellsun.com/breakingnew...#ixzz29gCWFMX6

Rivet52 10-18-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateNightOilerFan (Post 55088049)
Yeah, I'm not sure this is a retirement announcement. He was interviewed on Hockey Central in late Sept and sounded like he was in 'wait and see' mode about the lockout and did have some interest from a couple teams in the off-season. Plus he turned down the Leaf's coaching job with the AHL recently saying he still wanted to play.

Edit - Joins as volunteer assistant coach

Read more: http://www.lowellsun.com/breakingnew...#ixzz29gCWFMX6

Yep, I immediately thought of this as well. This isn't a retirement announcement, just seems like a job to do during the lockout. He still wants to play. He's not done.

LateNightOilerFan 10-18-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rivet52 (Post 55088541)
Yep, I immediately thought of this as well. This isn't a retirement announcement, just seems like a job to do during the lockout. He still wants to play. He's not done.

Yep.

I like the fact he is volunteering to do it. There was an article I read when Bazin was hired as UML's coach, something about how Roli would love to get involved there once his playing career ended, IIRC. Doing this now benefits the team and also gives him a taste of coaching before he does make that decision to retire.

ColePens 10-18-2012 02:31 PM

Sad to hear while they are locked out. Lot of good memories watching him.

LAX attack* 10-18-2012 02:32 PM

Being a 10-20 game backup into your 40's would be a sweet job. Make 1-2 million a year, maybe on a team with a great goalie? rangers?

Teemu 10-18-2012 02:41 PM

Changed the title to more accurately reflect his position.

Islanderfan17 10-18-2012 02:44 PM

He was my favorite player on the Isles when he was here, he's a true warrior. He played some absolutely insane games in his time here, I recall one game in Toronto where he had 50 something saves in a game that it seemed like Toronto was literally in our zone the entire game. I believe we won that game in OT.

DohBruins 10-18-2012 02:49 PM

Right in my back yard. Good for him, but sad to see him go. He'll be a good coach.

sayheykid 10-18-2012 03:17 PM

Whether he laces them up again or not, I've always thought he had a bright future in coaching when he retires.

Oh_so_saad 10-18-2012 04:27 PM

i admire roly

Joseppi 10-18-2012 04:39 PM

Should've hoisted the cup. Hell of a tender in his time - sail on Rolie.

Dr Awesome 10-18-2012 06:17 PM

Good gig for him. This will allow hi to taste what his future career once he does retire.

Rivet52 10-18-2012 07:19 PM

I like Roloson too. Though I don't know if he'll be able to find a new team even if the lockout lifts. He might have to wait a long time, like Turco did last year, for injuries to start happening, but he doesn't seem to be interested in going overseas at all, so I'd imagine he'll wait it out. I do hope he finds a team, but he had a real rough year last year so I won't be surprised if he doesn't and eventually just calls it a career.

He should've kept #35 and not changed back to #30. I still blame that for some of his bad play last year. :laugh:

nhlfan9191 10-18-2012 07:58 PM

Whenever Roloson's career appeared to be coming to an end, he always bounced back in the biggest way possible. Unfortunately, last year he was so terrible I doubt he'll ever get a contract again. Regardless of reports of a couple teams being interested.

Qrispy 10-18-2012 08:05 PM

He was great in Edmonton. Really hope he gets a cup if he decides to continue playing.

Kane One 10-19-2012 02:03 AM

Dwayne Roloson Didn't Retire?

Apparently Roloson is volunteering as an assistant coach at the University of Massachusetts-Lowell.

Quote:

He is expected to remain in Lowell until a resolution is reached with the NHL lockout. Roloson is currently an NHL free agent.

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/2012/10/18/nhl-...#ixzz29j4vyxCN
I thought there was a rumor right after his last game that he was going to retire since someone gave him the puck or something like that.

Devilspuppet666 10-19-2012 11:59 PM

i loved him, even while he was in edmonton. got alot of hate he didnt deserve when the oilers lost (i rememberall my friends saying he was a mile and a half better than kipper when they won and then say he's worse than Noodles when they lost :laugh: i live in edmonton btw)... he was a solid goalie, not elite but a solid #1 guy

hockeyfanvan25 10-20-2012 12:24 AM

Good for him, I'm happy for him that he'll be able to at least have a hockey-related job during the lockout! I was a bit surprised that he didn't take the Marlies coaching job for that reason, to be able to stay in hockey during the lockout, but I'm sure he figured that he'd have to retire if he took that job and wouldn't get another shot at playing. Sounds like this one is a lot more flexible, in terms of giving him the option of leaving the team and signing a new NHL contract if and when that becomes a possibility. Hopefully he'll be able to get a job in coaching soon when he does decide to hang 'em up; he definitely has experience, with his own summer goalie school, and I think he's a great teacher, not just on the ice! I've learned a lot from him over the years, very little of which is hockey-related. I think it's great too that he's doing it for free, just for the love of the game and to give back to his school that had a big impact on him for his career.

I was really happy to hear from him that he did have at least a couple offers in the summer, is still working and training as hard as ever and most definitely still has the fire in the belly to play. He has always come back strong whenever he struggled for stretches and seemed "done", so I don't doubt he can do that again this year if he's given the chance. I so hope that he will have another opportunity to play when the lockout finally ends, but until then I'll always respect and admire him so much for the way he's persevered through so much with an amazing attitude, strong work ethic, and never gave up on himself. He was given the puck after his last game last year, I guess his teammates wanted to honour him in that way in case it truly was his last game, but he's always made it clear that he isn't done till he says he's done, and I won't give up hope for him getting a new contract until he does make an official retirement announcement. I would be surprised if that happens anytime in the near future though.

Mr Forever 10-20-2012 01:24 AM

This makes me sad, this lockout is going to end some awesome careers, including Roli's. I'll always love him for 06.

TheRollingPuck 10-20-2012 10:53 AM

Hopefully he comes back for a few more seasons. He strikes me as guy that would want to play forever as long as his body was willing.